Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Loading screen is shown longer and longer

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 23, 2008
Is it just me or do more people have problems with the game slowing down? The game itself is fine, but when you enter or leave a room, the loading screen stays on forever. I timed it yesterday and at one point it was 48 seconds. It doesn't matter if you're on a calm or crowded server, entering a room full of players or an empty one. Even when you go to the minigames on a calm server with no one around, the loading screen comes up and stays there for a long time. But once it has loaded the game itself is fine as usual.
Well, unless you're on a ballooncar at Marleybone. The longer the loadingscreen takes, the shorter the ride is shown. Yesterday i stepped into the balloon and the loadingscreen came up. After 40 secs i saw a quick flash of the car and the next loadingscreen came up. It actually made me laugh.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2008
Try defragmenting your hard drive, that might help.

Also, there may be a small, slow memory leak - so after playing for four or six hours? Take a break. Get up, walk around, stretch your legs. Meanwhile, exit out of the client entirely. ^_^

Survivor
Jun 24, 2008
I am having the same problem, along with game crash, and game getting stuck (mostly in battles). hope it gets fixed soon :?

Survivor
Aug 23, 2008
Ok, it looks like it's personal, it seems the server is holding a grudge on me. No really. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. No help, still slow. But i have a second, lower level wizard so i tried that one. Everything runs like normal again. Switched back to my main wizard and... it's slow again.
My main wizard was on Marleybone so i went to wizard city to see if that worked. Nope, still slow.
Back to the second wizard: normal. Switched back to main wizard, visited the same places as my second wizard but it's slow again.
Tried changing clothes to normal stuff, no help. So it's not because of any of the stuff i wear. So whatever the fault is, i don't think it's my pc, connection, one of my drivers or whatever because it works fine for my second wizard. But it's slow for my main wizard.
Support: go ahead, log on with my account and try it - or make a copy and try that. Weird isn't it?

In the meantime i'll play the slow way

Explorer
Aug 25, 2008
Wow, Charly, that is strange.

Definitely a Tech Support issue, then. Good luck getting it resolved!

Survivor
Jul 13, 2008
Are your inventory and dorm room filled with items that you haven't sold yet? I remember reading something before the wipe about players characters not loading properly and slow loading times, and I believe it had to do with holding too many items. Try selling everything that you have no use for and lighten your backpack. Maybe that will help?

Survivor
Aug 23, 2008
My dorm, bank or whatever is empty. I travel light, i sell all the stuff i don't need. I even sold my 2 bossdrop pets and 2 old carddecks to see if that fixed the problem. It didn't.
So i have 1 hat, 1 robe, 1 pair of shoes. 5 wands, all big and i don't want to sell them. 1 necklace, 3 rings, 1 pet (and i refuse to sell my pioneer dragon) and 3 decks.
It could be my treasure cards, i have a lot of those. But i don't want to throw them away only to find out that isn't the problem.
Oh, changing servers make the delay increase. If i change 5 or 6 times the loading screen will stay on even longer. Then i have to quit and start again with a fast (!) 32 second delay.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2008
Important update: i had a lot of treasurecards and deleted them. I still have 67 cards left but loading time went down to 8-9 seconds.
I can't delete the ones i have now, i need them in battle. Normally i take healing cards and some toughened imp and leprechaun in my treasuredeck, so i know they're there when i need them.
If anyone else has slow loading speeds try deleting the useless cards, and most important if people have lots of treasurecards (over 100) and don't have problems with slow loadingscreens post it here. It may make it easier to find out what triggers the bug.

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
Oh so thats what it is.

I was wondering too why my loading screens were taking longer
and longer to load. I will go and delete all the cards that are junk
and see if that really does help weird thing is I have less than 15
of them treasure cards. and my HD is defragged BTW. ;)

Survivor
Aug 23, 2008
Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
i am having the same problem i am gonna try getting rid of useless treasures i have 15 pages of them. if it doesn't work hope it is fixed soon :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
I started having very long load times at about the same time I started having lots of treasure cards, BUT now that I have off-loaded most of my treasure cards onto a free character (on a separate account), I still have really long load times. I have heard the theory that lots of treasure cards make your transition times long, but reducing them did not help for me.

Also, frankly, the idea that the program has to look at my treasure cards (load them, refresh them, whatever) when I walk through a door doesn't make any sense; it's hard for me to imagine KI designing things that way.

One other thing that your higher level wizard has a lot more of than your junior is quest history. I wonder if there is a server hit to load quest history prior to loading each "street" so the client program knows what items you have access to, which NPCs will talk to you, etc. There may be performance issues on that database or with that query/set of queries. Pure speculation of course. Anyone else find that their senior wizard(s) have longer load times than their junior wizard(s) do for the same locations?

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
I, too, have noticed the load screen taking longer. I don't carry a lot of treasure cards. As a matter of fact, I have one wiz that only has treasure cards that were drops, and there's not many of them. Here's what I think. They've added all this cool new stuff, the new world of Dragonspyre, new gear, training point respec, blue balls floating around in all the areas now, new spells, bug fixes, and all the other jazz, and it has of course made the game files on their servers much bigger. So when a person switches between, say the Alter of Kings and goes into the Palace of Fire, the server has to search more info to find the correct file, put in the stuff for your particular quests, and then load a bigger file. Which slows load time. Add to that the larger number of people playing, and wham, slow down. Even though there are multiple servers, I believe we are all initially coming in on the same few internet lines and getting shunted to the particular server we are currently on. My opinion on the matter, and if our wonderful Gamma (such a wise owl) has any input on this I'm sure we would all love to hear it.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2008
Yeah zoning is definitely incredibly slower with this latest patch.

Both my friend and I are noticing it.

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
Loading any changes takes four times what it used to. and god forbid you want o change realms. The listing is wrong, says perfect and the place is like grand central station!

move from your "bed" and wait up to 30 seconds for the next area to load, seems like the bridge between servers needs updating or something.

Administrator
Tonight's downtime should address some of these loading issues.

It also helps us greatly if you submit bug reports on items like these. Just go to the Help & Support tab on the left and contact Mr Lincoln through the Contact Us tab - that's for bug reporting.

Thanks!

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
It always slows down when i am on my main character!!!!!! and i keep getting into battles, and keep getting defeated, and having to keep using up my potions!!!!!

Survivor
Jan 04, 2009
The Downtime didnt do nothing. Actually now takes more time. My Grandmaster wizard takes 1 minute and 30 seconds to load. While my other 2 characters are normal loading. Like I said since the downtime takes even longer. So insted of making it better its actually worse. For me to go from my dorm to the arena takes like 6 to 7 minutes. I mean that is crazy. Please fix this problem as soon as possible.

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Actually, today I logged on to my grandmaster necromancer and started making my way to the Great Spyre for some Gurtok Piercer farming. Anyways, along the way, the load times were pretty normal. Unfortunately, this would not last and it seemed the longer I had been on, the longer the load screens would get. To try and help with the issue, I'll try getting some video evidence to send along with a bug report in hopes that it may shed some light on possible causes and/or solutions.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2009
I've been having these loading issues for the past few days. I am unable to assist any friends in quests because I simply cannot keep up with them. It is making it extremely difficult to complete my own quests. I don't recall having anymore 'baggage' after the problem began occuring. It started as soon as I got to level 18 and now I'm stuck on level 18.