Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bizarre Bazaar Pricing

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere... I did a search and couldn't find anything, but I can't be the only one wondering why the buy/sell prices at the Bazaar are so out of whack.

Specifically, why are we forced to sell items for 10-20 percent of the buy price? I've noticed this many times with gear and reagents. I sold a wand the other day for like 200 gold (which, incidentally, was the same amount offered to me by a vendor). When I checked the buy price immediately afterward, it was listed for over 2,000 gold. There were over 100 of that item in stock, so it clearly wasn't a supply/demand issue. And even so, if it was worth 2,000, shouldn't I have received closer to that amount (minus commission, of course!) for selling it?

I mention this because, if the Bazaar functioned more like a market economy and actually rewarded the entrepreneurial spirit, gathering reagents for the crafting quests wouldn't be such an enormous pain in the behind. All these people who excel at riding around in circles for hours gathering scrap iron, black lotus, and red mandrake would have some incentive to sell it at the Bazaar. (Currently there is very little incentive; the fact that the buy price is astronomically higher than the sell price encourages people to hoard their reagents for future crafting projects rather than selling them for an immediate profit.) These lovely farmers would become filthy rich, and the rest of us could finish our crafting quests. Everybody wins!

Defender
Dec 14, 2009
lisiedawn wrote:
...why are we forced to sell items for 10-20 percent of the buy price?

lisiedawn wrote:
...if the Bazaar functioned more like a market economy and actually rewarded the entrepreneurial spirit, gathering reagents for the crafting quests wouldn't be such an enormous pain in the behind. All these people who excel at riding around in circles for hours gathering scrap iron, black lotus, and red mandrake would have some incentive to sell it at the Bazaar.

I agree, this needs to be fixed. I thought the purpose of the Bazaar was to be able to auction things off and get the best price for what you were selling?

In the beginning, I always went the extra distance to sell things at the bazaar because I naturally assumed I was getting a better price for the items I was selling. Being an "auction" and all.

I have since learned that is not the case. I have yet to find an item which I can sell at the Bazaar for any more than the standard shop owner is prepared to offer me for it.

So, in instead of traveling all the way back to Wizard City to sell off my items, now I just hit the "commons" button for whatever world I'm in and head to the nearest vendor. In Wizard City, I end up selling most of my stuff through the Stitching lady. Saves me a trip/port into the Shopping district and another one into a shop.

If the Bazaar is intended to be based on an "auction" concept then it needs to be fixed. Otherwise, get rid of it. It's not serving any purpose.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 33 (Magus Sorcerer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 25 (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 17 (Journeyman Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 15 (Journeyman Necromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 15 (Journeyman Diviner)

Administrator
Here's a quote right from Elik

I'll pay you the value in gold for the item based on supply and demand. If I already have lots of the item you are selling me then I will pay you less gold for yours. If I'm low or out of stock on the item you are selling, I will pay you more gold!

This also means that if I have lots of an item already in my inventory, I will sell it for a lower price, and if I only have a few, or one, I will sell the item for a much higher price! All prices are based on my current stock of items, so shop often for that special bargain, young Wizards! And don't worry, if someone sells an item on Wu Realm, and you're on Pixie, you'll see it in my inventory - I've got all the Realms covered!

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Explorer
May 19, 2009
Gamma wrote:
Here's a quote right from Elik

I'll pay you the value in gold for the item based on supply and demand. If I already have lots of the item you are selling me then I will pay you less gold for yours. If I'm low or out of stock on the item you are selling, I will pay you more gold!

This also means that if I have lots of an item already in my inventory, I will sell it for a lower price, and if I only have a few, or one, I will sell the item for a much higher price! All prices are based on my current stock of items, so shop often for that special bargain, young Wizards! And don't worry, if someone sells an item on Wu Realm, and you're on Pixie, you'll see it in my inventory - I've got all the Realms covered!

That About sums it up. Most i guess Don't listen or read what the NPC's in the game say thank you gamma..

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks, Gamma, for replying, but I'm still wondering why Elik is using his current pricing model. As one of the responders mentioned, it is discouraging people from taking their items to the Bazaar. And as I mentioned, it causes people to hoard their crafting items. Why would anyone ever sell blood moss, for example, when you only get ~180 gold for selling it, yet must pay Elik 450 gold to buy it back?

If the buy/sell prices were the same (less a transaction fee), people would be more likely to trek all the way back to the Shopping District to sell things and would be less likely to hoard hundreds of reagents that they may or may not ever use.

I'm not suggesting that this is a bug. I'm just saying that, unless there's some logic I'm missing, there may be a better way to handle the Bazaar that would stimulate the economy and make the game more fun for everyone.

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
Wh1rledPeas wrote:
lisiedawn wrote:
...why are we forced to sell items for 10-20 percent of the buy price?

lisiedawn wrote:
...if the Bazaar functioned more like a market economy and actually rewarded the entrepreneurial spirit, gathering reagents for the crafting quests wouldn't be such an enormous pain in the behind. All these people who excel at riding around in circles for hours gathering scrap iron, black lotus, and red mandrake would have some incentive to sell it at the Bazaar.

I agree, this needs to be fixed. I thought the purpose of the Bazaar was to be able to auction things off and get the best price for what you were selling?

In the beginning, I always went the extra distance to sell things at the bazaar because I naturally assumed I was getting a better price for the items I was selling. Being an "auction" and all.

I have since learned that is not the case. I have yet to find an item which I can sell at the Bazaar for any more than the standard shop owner is prepared to offer me for it.

So, in instead of traveling all the way back to Wizard City to sell off my items, now I just hit the "commons" button for whatever world I'm in and head to the nearest vendor. In Wizard City, I end up selling most of my stuff through the Stitching lady. Saves me a trip/port into the Shopping district and another one into a shop.

If the Bazaar is intended to be based on an "auction" concept then it needs to be fixed. Otherwise, get rid of it. It's not serving any purpose.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 33 (Magus Sorcerer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 25 (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 17 (Journeyman Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 15 (Journeyman Necromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 15 (Journeyman Diviner)

I bought crown items from the Marleybone store and they are worth much more in the Bazaar then in general. But yes, I do agree that the pricing system is a bit odd.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2010
It's not like this game is massive in any ways, and only takes a matter of a few minutes to get there.

I'm glad it's not an auction house. People would destory the price of things by overcharging for the lamest things.

I enjoy it being the way it is, it works fine and I can easily find the best things there at good prices. I've been playing not even a month and I'm already at the 3rd planet with access to the fourth. I have done 100% of everything up to the 3rd place.

The game is super easy. And very small compared to games like Lord of the Rings Online or Everquest II. It's fun and simple. Nothing to get all crazy over and "fix" everything because it doesn't cater to you.

The other 10.999 million people aren't complaining.