Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Defeated Firegut but door by Watson ...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 14, 2010
I've connected with Watson who has a key for the primary door to his left. Upon opening that door the next requires a code. Back to Watson who sends me to Firegut for the pswd. I defeated Firegut 5 times now and when I get back to the door by Watson the primary door is locked so I can't use the pswd. What happened??????
I restarted the quest a couple of times with no luck, got the pswd but can't enter the primary door.
I did "die" several times and did have to "mini-game" to charge up.... does that affect the quest??? Help!!!! Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
There are 4 symbols on either side of the door near Watson. Use the Firegut code (in order), then the Clanker code (also in order), to open the two doors there.

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
The doors are back-to-back, just use the code Firegut gives.

Survivor
May 14, 2010
Again I have to ask if anyone has run into the same problem.....
My quest is defeat Dr Katzenstein in the lab - part 1. The actual quest is called "right combination". It is Watson in Katzenstein's lab that I have to contact and the doors to either side of him DO NOT have any secret codes on the outside of the doors. It is only after you get through the first door with... and I'm seem to remember Watson saying some clockwork minion had a key but don't remember right. The first time I tried this quest Watson sent me off to get the first key only to find I had to defeat Firegut to get the code for the second door. I have the code now for the secondary door by defeating Firegut which does me no good as the first door is now locked and again I repeat - there are NO codes that can be input to re-open that first door. Another quest with Baxter had the codes on the outside that needed to be input but this is Watson in Katzenstein's Lab through Scotland Yard. Need more input..... haven't found the answer I need yet! Thanks to all for your replies!!

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
This is how I remember the beginning of Katz Lab.

You get the first combination for the Lab Door. After you get the first combination (sun, bird, tree, beetle), you go to the Lab Door again and there are "Plaques" hanging on the walls along both sides of that first door. (NOTE: on my computer, the plaques are VERY hard to see. I have to actually walk right up to each plaque to be able to see what is on it.)

On that first door, you press "x" to light up each plaque in order. The first door opens (and stays open as long as you don't leave the dungeon.)

Then you have to go fight Clanker to get the second combination for the next part. After you get the second combination (tree, sun, bird, beetle), then you walk past the first door which you already opened, and I believe I remember that there are chimneys that you have to light up (hope I remembered this right). Some of the chimneys might be lit already, but you have to turn them off first. Then you can use the second combination to light up the chimneys and the second door will open.

Hope this helps...

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
CORRECTION to my first reply (at (9:45 a.m. today).

I just went to Katz Lab and did the first two quests.

1. Fight Firegut. Get first combination (sun, bird, tree, beetle). Go back to Watson and open first door. (This will stay open as long as you don't leave the dungeon.) To open the door, there are 4 plaques hanging on the walls alongside the first door. (NOTE: They are very hard to see on my computer. I have to walk right up to each one to see what image is on each plaque.) Press "x" in front of each plaque following the first combination you just got.

2. Second door is locked. Watson says to go fight Clanker. Get the SECOND combination from Clanker. Return to Watson. He says to open the second door. Use the 4 plaques again, with the SECOND combination from Clanker (tree, sun, bird, beetle).

(There are no chimneys here like I thought. Got this confused with another dungeon. sorry.)

After you open the second door, it stays open as long as you don't leave the dungeon.

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
Honeybee - Yes, the chimneys are in Katz's lab.

After you get past the double doors with codes from the first two bosses, you'll run quite a bit to get to the lab. Just before the lab proper there's another locked door with a book in front of it that says something about needing to clear the smoke. Once you turn off all five chimneys that final door opens and you can get through to the main lab.

You don't have to read the book at all to open the door though, I've found it easier to turn off the chimneys along the way rather than go back for them.

Survivor
May 14, 2010
Honeybee313 wrote:
CORRECTION to my first reply (at (9:45 a.m. today).

To open the door, there are 4 plaques hanging on the walls alongside the first door. (NOTE: They are very hard to see on my computer. I have to walk right up to each one to see what image is on each plaque.) Press "x" in front of each plaque following the first combination you just got.

Thank you all for your posts!!! :-D
I've since completed Katzenstein's Lab... and Big Ben... whew....
Accomplished thankfully with generous help... and finally have been able to leave Marleybone. Yay Mooshu

But as for the doors I did notice to my chagrin that there are plaques outside those doors and YES!!! they are so very hard to see. That area is so dark I totally missed seeing the plaques before. I finally noticed the plaques... but it was only because my friend walked right up to them and of course the combinations worked beautifully. lol

Happy Questing!

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
StarsongKY wrote:
Honeybee - Yes, the chimneys are in Katz's lab.

After you get past the double doors with codes from the first two bosses, you'll run quite a bit to get to the lab. Just before the lab proper there's another locked door with a book in front of it that says something about needing to clear the smoke. Once you turn off all five chimneys that final door opens and you can get through to the main lab.

You don't have to read the book at all to open the door though, I've found it easier to turn off the chimneys along the way rather than go back for them.

Oops. I forgot about those chimneys. But I think I was also getting confused with the chimneys in another dungeon (maybe the Ironworks?). On those chimneys you have to light up a certain combination too so that a door with open. Thanks anyway for the update. :-)

Survivor
Mar 02, 2010
I've managed to find 4 of the 5 chimneys that need turning off in Katz lab. However, for the life of me, I've been unable to find the 5th. It's driving me insane! :/ Sounds silly, but this is going to be the fourth time I've left the dungeon due to rage quitting cause I keep being pulled into meaningless battles n' such. Can anyone help? My name is Tatiana IceSong, I'm level 35, Ice.

Normally I've got all the patience in the world, but after getting this far, and being held up by stupid chimneys! I'm becoming rather annoyed by it all.

I've just closed it down, yet again, for the fourth time and will have to go through and fight all the bosses again. Grr.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
SinfulVixen wrote:
I've managed to find 4 of the 5 chimneys that need turning off in Katz lab. However, for the life of me, I've been unable to find the 5th. It's driving me insane! :/ Sounds silly, but this is going to be the fourth time I've left the dungeon due to rage quitting cause I keep being pulled into meaningless battles n' such. Can anyone help? My name is Tatiana IceSong, I'm level 35, Ice.

Normally I've got all the patience in the world, but after getting this far, and being held up by stupid chimneys! I'm becoming rather annoyed by it all.

I've just closed it down, yet again, for the fourth time and will have to go through and fight all the bosses again. Grr.

Hope you haven't gone through yet. This was a quote from the post above from StarsongKY:

That's a good idea. After you unlock the first two doors and you are heading to the Lab, take detours around the side streets and watch for the chimneys. Hope this helps. If not, and you still need help, let me know the date, time (I'm on Eastern Standard time), realm, and place to meet and I'll try to help you.

Survivor
Sep 21, 2010
This really helped me when i did the dungeon Thanks honeybee

Survivor
Jul 24, 2010
I have this problem; after I fought the second boss (I think) and then Watson tells me to go to Grunk the gate won't work! It won't let me use the plaques. I put it in one time and it acted like it did open, made the noise and everything, but the gate didn't move and now I can't use the plaques... help??

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
iconic97 wrote:
I have this problem; after I fought the second boss (I think) and then Watson tells me to go to Grunk the gate won't work! It won't let me use the plaques. I put it in one time and it acted like it did open, made the noise and everything, but the gate didn't move and now I can't use the plaques... help??

Well, since you left the dungeon you have to fight them again. Make sure you did fight two of them to unlock the gates...First it's Firegut. Then it's Clanker. If the second gate still won't open, it's a bug and you should send a note to Help and Support (use the tab on the left side of this page).

If the second gate now opens for you, remember to look for the 5 chimneys on your way to the main lab. You have to turn the chimneys off before you can go in to the lab.

Good Luck...