Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can any pet make it to EPIC

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 31, 2009
I've been playing like mad, training my pets and I have brought two up to Ancient level. Whew.

However, it occurred to me as I started down the road to getting them to EPIC level that maybe not all pets can make it there.

Specifically, to go from Ancient to EPIC you need 1000 experience. HOWEVER, both my pets are almost MAXED out on their attributes. In total, with probably 100 or so more points all my attributes will be at MAX, leaving me around 800 experience short. Does that mean these pets do not have a chance at making it to EPIC?

I ask this because, from my experience so far, if you play a game that rewards for an attribute that you have at MAX, you don't get credit for that. For example, my pet's strength is MAXed out (225), so when I play a game that gives strength points, I get Zero credit for it. So, even if I score three bulls eyes, or do nail all the dance steps, or whatever, I would only get 3 points instead of 4. Extrapolating this out, seems to me that I will get to a place where ALL my attributes are at MAX and no matter how I do in the game, I will get 0 points. Even with Snacks.

So, are there very few pets that can even make it to EPIC level? If so, most pets would only get 3 talents, only the REALLY rare ones will get 4. And, that being the case, seems to me that would be a VERY rare pet indeed. Considering it takes 125 experience to make Teen, plus 250 to make Adult, plus 500 to make Ancient, plus 1000 to make EPIC - that's 1875 experience to make it to EPIC, meaning your pet would have to AVERAGE 375 for each of his attributes. Lordy - none of the pets I've seen have even had 375 in ONE of their attributes!

So, what am I missing? Once I max out all my attributes, will it be possible to still get experience to make it to EPIC?

Thanks,

mlb

Defender
Oct 14, 2009
Good news - Even if all of your attributes are maxed, you get one experience per minigame and one per snack.

Hero
May 19, 2009
Well i guess you just answered your own question. Because after reading this it makes since and it seems not every pet can make it to epic. What a drag, most people spending counting hours training there pets only to reilize they maxed out there stats and there still only ancient.

Hero
May 27, 2009
In Test, I had a few pets max their attributes. You will continue to get ONE experience point for a perfect score in a mini-game once all the attributes are maxed, plus one point if the pet "likes" or "loves" the snack you feed it. So you'd get two points for a perfect game plus a good snack, so theoretically it's possible to achieve Epic if you are willing to play several hundred perfect mini-games and have plenty of your pet's favorite snacks on hand.

Hero
May 19, 2009
Willowdreamer wrote:
In Test, I had a few pets max their attributes. You will continue to get ONE experience point for a perfect score in a mini-game once all the attributes are maxed, plus one point if the pet "likes" or "loves" the snack you feed it. So you'd get two points for a perfect game plus a good snack, so theoretically it's possible to achieve Epic if you are willing to play several hundred perfect mini-games and have plenty of your pet's favorite snacks on hand.

thats good to know

Defender
May 31, 2009
Well, as posted by a few, yes, indeed it IS possible to get EPIC even after attributes are Max out.

Here's the Math on how that breaks out for my guys.

Maxed out, I'm now at 208 points out of 1000, so 782 to go. As stated, with a perfect score, I can get 1 point, plus one MORE point for a snack my pet loves. Great - that means IF I get a perfect score, that's only 391 games. Woohoo!

Since each game costs 8 Energy, that's 3128 Energy. If I do the 10 Energy per per hour refill, that's 312.8 hours, or just over 13 days. OR, if I want to use Crowns to refill, that's just over 65 refills (for my Grandmaster with 48 max health at any one time), and at about 50 cents a refill, that's only ~ $33. PLUS time playing...

Oh. Egad. Seems like an AWFUL lot to me. EPIC indeed!

Wow...

mlb

Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
well in test realm i was able to get my frozen cat to EPIC but i am not sure in live realm seems to hard

Abigail anvilbreaker necromancer lvl. 35

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
Willowdreamer wrote:

Actually. I've stopped getting the extra xp for a pet loving a snack once the power stat is maxed, and I've only ever gotten 4 points for a perfect game, so I don't think those 'fixes' have transferred.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2010
Caspeen wrote:
Well, as posted by a few, yes, indeed it IS possible to get EPIC even after attributes are Max out.

Here's the Math on how that breaks out for my guys.

Maxed out, I'm now at 208 points out of 1000, so 782 to go. As stated, with a perfect score, I can get 1 point, plus one MORE point for a snack my pet loves. Great - that means IF I get a perfect score, that's only 391 games. Woohoo!

Since each game costs 8 Energy, that's 3128 Energy. If I do the 10 Energy per per hour refill, that's 312.8 hours, or just over 13 days. OR, if I want to use Crowns to refill, that's just over 65 refills (for my Grandmaster with 48 max health at any one time), and at about 50 cents a refill, that's only ~ $33. PLUS time playing...

Oh. Egad. Seems like an AWFUL lot to me. EPIC indeed!

Wow...

mlb

Ya. Well. Hmm... lol
Ty Caspeen, I didnt do the math exactly, but i had an idea it was something like that. Maybe I'll get one to Epic by the end of summer...lol.... good luck ;)

Survivor
Apr 13, 2010
SnookumsMcSnook wrote:
Good news - Even if all of your attributes are maxed, you get one experience per minigame and one per snack.

Not true you have to get a perfect score to get that point.

Survivor
May 20, 2009
This is most likely the biggest mistake the King Isle group has made. The ability to advance to EPIC on a pet is now a near impossibility for most unless a massive amount of time and Crowns are applied. Massive amount is actually an uderstatement since that is based on being perfect every time to use a training game and that you have the correct snack to feed your pet. I think the estimate of $ in a past entry is short by about $20 in crowns to be more realisitic. Wow what a disappointment. My kids are alrerady frustrated. I am not going to invest close to a $100 for two kids to get epic pets. Lets see this corrected soon.....PLEASE.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
I really wish they would change it so that you still get the +4 for a perfect game and the XP from the snack ranking even if your stat is maxed out.

Maxing out your stats is a lot easier than one would think.

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:
thats good to know

It's nice to know that you can make Epic, but it is horrible to think that you have to play the game hundreds of times.

The energy required has quadrupled from 2 to 8.

The experience required is 8 times more (125 to 1000).

And now, you can only get 2 XP per game? That means making Epic takes 200 times more training than making Teen. I think this needs fixing.

(At least you don't have to get a perfect score. A result that would earn you 3 XP before you maxed out is good enough to earn one XP. And I suppose it's a good way to burn up the crummy level 1 snacks that we bought before we knew better. Still this seems a little too unbalanced.)

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
I have worked hard to get my Ice Collosus to Ancient, but now that his stats are maxed out I am discouraged to train him any further.
I just cannot continue playing the arcade game hundreds of more times for so little progress.

In general I like the addition of the new pets, and although the games are tedious and eventually get boring I had some fun traing my pet, and watching him develope talents. It would be nice if there were an alternate way to train them; such as "pet quests" or something.

Survivor
Sep 07, 2009
OMG, I just assumed that this was a bug and not by design. When I finished maxing out all of my pets attributes and got him to Ancient, I noticed that some "Perfect" minigame scores still rendered 0 or only 1 point.

I thought, "Only 993" games to go??? That MUST be a bug!" and so I reported it.

Even if I liked all 4 minigames, I don't like anything enough to do it 993 times. KI would need more than a dozen minigames to keep it interesting and even then, who wants to sit at the computer and play the same game over and over and over for 1 point at a time? That's absurd.

KI makes a big deal out of encouraging parents to moderate the time kids waste...err... spend playing Wizard. Does having to play the same 4 games 993 times sound like time well spent by our kids?

What's even more laughable is I was actually looking forward to getting all my favorite pets to Epic. LOL I have about 12 between all my characters. Unless I want to take a couple of months off from my job to play Wizard all day and night, it's not going to happen.

KI, please rethink this. When I thought this was a bug, I decided not to play for a few days until they got it fixed. If this is not a bug, I may just cancel my account and move on. I've always wanted to try Everquest or Warcraft.

I also agree with an earlier poster who suggested charging less gold to hatch less powerful pets. Some people just like to have cool looking pets. Nothing wrong with that. Let them do it for a reasonable price. For those wanting rare superpets for the derby or the arena, let them pay more.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
I would not advize anyone to waste the time on pets. It takes an extremely long period of time, and to make epic is harder that becoming a grand master. This is a rare major blunder for such a great game. :x

Survivor
May 17, 2010
Ok here is what I've learned:

You get 1 exp per run if at maxed pet stats and that is only if you get a perfect or a near perfect. You find the cheapest food your pet will eat for 1 exp. To do this look for the class of the pet and the class of the food. Every food has a school. I went to the Auction house and found a 350 gold per death food for my death maiden that gives her 1 exp.

Now what I find upsetting is I bought a pack of super pet food for 2500 crowns to try it. DO NOT DO THIS IF MAXED. It is a real let down. Most foods gave 0 or 1 Exp and at a minimum to be worth it they would have to give 4 exp to 10 exp to be worth the cost. Let me explain. You could buy 10 full pet energy bars with those 2500 crowns. Yielding about 40 to 50 exps. Instead for a a pack I got a total of 3 exps. 3 exps for 2500 crowns is really a poor investment.

There might be a crafted food worth the cost but my costs on the crafted were all higher because of having to buy the card. If you find the card I would craft the food if it is for the pets class.

In my opinion they should add +1 to the exp so 1 exp for an ok and 2 exp for the perfect or near perfect. They should put the 2500 crown packs at 4 exp to 10 exp per food.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
I got both of my Grandmasters' pets to Ancient, and (with gusto) began working on getting them to Epic.
Then, I stopped and thought about it. Do I REALLY want to spend all this time working on a pet? The abilities I've gotten so far are fairly weak. It's a Grand pet, so it comes with 5% power pip increase. Additionally, I got an 8% Storm armor bonus and the "Dashing" talent (increases max strength and power by 25 points). I could end up working for a month or more just to recieve another worthless ability. NO THANKS!
IMHO: King's Isle has outsmarted itself. It's obvious that they wanted to make the Pet system difficult to manipulate. They didn't want to unbalance the game. Unfortunately, they've made it so tedious and offered so little reward for the time invested in maturing a pet that all the fun is gone. Celestia better ROCK, or I will not be renewing!

P.S. The easiest fix would be to stop "hiding" the pet's abilities. Just gray them out, so that the owner can see what's coming as the pet matures. That way, the players could make an informed choice as to which pets should be trained. But, considering how out of touch King's Isle seems to be with its customers, I don't see this happening.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
shaggyzon2 wrote:
But, considering how out of touch King's Isle seems to be with its customers, I don't see this happening.

I have been here awhile, and they do listen, but we as consumers need to let them know where their braintrust failed. It failed in the taking pets to epic part, as well as not allowing us to select what our pets train, just randomily giving us, usually, worthless talents.

I am sure, from the discussion on this board and on fan sites that the braintrust is now hard at work to correct their fubar...they have corrected both major and minor things in the past, making the game more worthwhile and less stressful for all.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
I have a Friendly Dragon and I train it and train it, ever since the pet update he's been a TEEN, but it takes so much of your time to get to ADULT, but then you think, "Is it worth it?" Everyone wastes all their time in the Pet Pavillion doing the Cannon Game or Maze Game or whatever is easiest trying to get their pet to EPIC. Those on a subscription, their time runs out, and all they have to do is play around doing practice races and then they think, "Why did I waste my time here when I could get up to lvl 50!?" Any way, my point is, WHY spend all that time in the Pet Pavilion if you have a subscription? I'm spending ALL my time smartly :D leveling up in DragonSpyre while EVERYBODY else is wasting their subscription there in the Pet Pavillion. JUST SAYIN

My new Wizard: Fred Legend :D LVL 9 MYTH/STORM
My original Wizard: Sophia Strong LVL 43 BALANCE/LIFE/ICE

Defender
May 31, 2009
Youtube910 wrote:
I'm spending ALL my time smartly :D leveling up in DragonSpyre while EVERYBODY else is wasting their subscription there in the Pet Pavillion. JUST SAYIN

You say what your doing is smart and everyone else is wasting their time, but just you wait - you get into the arena against someone with a REALLY powerful pet and you may see the light. Especially in some Grandmaster Warlord fights where the outcome can hinge on the smallest of details, having a powerful pet can be the deciding factor in who wins. So, is spending all that time to get one more talent a waste? If you don't PVP, perhaps so, but if you do then it may be more of an investment than a waste.

mlb

Survivor
Apr 13, 2010
Caspeen wrote:
Youtube910 wrote:
I'm spending ALL my time smartly :D leveling up in DragonSpyre while EVERYBODY else is wasting their subscription there in the Pet Pavillion. JUST SAYIN

You say what your doing is smart and everyone else is wasting their time, but just you wait - you get into the arena against someone with a REALLY powerful pet and you may see the light. Especially in some Grandmaster Warlord fights where the outcome can hinge on the smallest of details, having a powerful pet can be the deciding factor in who wins. So, is spending all that time to get one more talent a waste? If you don't PVP, perhaps so, but if you do then it may be more of an investment than a waste.

mlb

That is a myth that there is a real powerful pet that will help.
The are some pets that cast spells but it does it at random.
It is just a likely to hurt as to help,
O look my pet just cast fire elf and blow my stack
What fun

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Someone above mentioned getting worthless attributes for his/her efforts.
I have a level 57 Pixie Queen which, at Ancient has 15 of a possible 20 points in attributes (for her level).
And a level 58 Spectre which, at Ancient, has 17 of a possible 21 points at Ancient. Getting NONE of the Epic qualities even though it has 3 of them in the Derby column.

Not likely I'll waste my time to level to Epic to get whatever other 2 point attributes they may still have available.

The truth is- if you want to race your pet it's easiest to get races for teens. If your Blue Cyclops can get a 2 point attribute too- there is nothing special about higher level pets. So just pick one you like the looks of and don't level it past teen unless you want to hatch.

How irritating- I was so excited to have something new to do. I'm so bored that I scrapped my Fire wizard to start another Fire wizard. Mixing pets was a great idea until we were playing with our earned (or bought) gold. After some pretty disappointing results- it's like KI is punishing me for giving them money.

Also, since people are farming pets, and because it seems the less you try the better chance you have of winning one, it is miserable to play unless you play solo or with a close friend. I fought the Gurtok Demon last night with 3 guys that shielded each other and let me take all of the hits. My Storm isn't cut out for that and I was near death through the whole match. The only time they hit was to break my traps.
Fun stuff.

Delver
Jul 20, 2009
My pet Firecat almost has it second MAX thing but, to make things easier, I suggest you using rank 5-7 snacks (I used a rank 4 snack last since I used a rank 5 snack already) I think I can make it to EPIC but it'll sure be VERY hard.My Firecat is a VERY good pet for me compared to my other pets, my Firecat already have the power maxed and it's strength is next (just five points away ) Some people just really want to get their pet to epic, I only do the maze and the dance game. And yes, someone could make it to EPIC.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Pets can and have made it to epic, it just takes lots of time and training, as previously stated, using level 5-7 snacks are the best way to go to get it done quicker. Once the stats are maxed out you still get all the XP points from games and snacks used even thought they don't increase stats. But the annoying thing is once you hit epic it can increase stat maximum again, so if you want it epic and maxed out you have to train some more to max out, KI needs to alter this annoying trait reveal and do it at previous levels, not at the end.