Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

RAM in Marleybone.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 25, 2010
I have found out why this game runs perfectly normal in every world doing every thing with 512 MB RAM except in Marleybone. Marleybone, as has been well documented here by many players for a long time (note: to no resolution from KI) is a source of hangups and video seizures.

I found out why this is. Something about Marleybone eats up RAM to the last byte when no other world does this.

Moreover, my research shows that whatever is causing this is locking out this RAM.

The only way to get Marleybone to run smoothly is to reboot the computer but after about 10 minutes in Hyde Park or wherever the hangups and video seizures start all over again.

Even when I log out and close the program, there is at least 250 MB RAM that I cannot recover with any of my RAM cleaners without rebooting the computer. This is not normal for my computer because I keep an eye on all my running programs and my RAM usage and when I close a program I get that RAM back to be used by other programs.

Wizard101 is the only program on my computer THAT HAS EVER in my 10 years of digging into the mechanics of software and hardware that has caused RAM to be locked out after the program was closed. I can log out and close the program in any other world in Wizard101 and I GET MY RAM BACK THAT WAS BEING USED BY THE GAME.

Not with Marleybone. After running around in Marleybone and logging out and closing the program regardless of what world I log out in, the fact that I was in Marleybone causes 250 MB of RAM to be hopelessly lost until I reboot the computer.

This is NOT NORMAL FOR SOFTWARE. In Marleybone the program is doing something to absorb 100% of RAM and continuing to lock out about 250 MB of RAM after the program has been closed out.

This is a major software problem and I have no doubt that this is the cause of hundreds if not thousands of complaints about Marleybone being a glitch disguised as a world.

People who have a zillion gigabytes of RAM as I'm sure the KI staff uses this much RAM in their computers would never recognize that Wizard101 is doing this to RAM because with so many gigabytes available they would not recognize that something in Marleybone from consuming so much RAM and preventing 250 MB of RAM from being recovered after the program closes.

Since this game runs perfectly well on 512 MB RAM and a nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X, DirectX 0.9c BUT NOT IN MARLEYBONE this means one thing...

Whatever software mechanism is going on is slowly using up and locking up this RAM during game play which is why Marleybone after a bit of time gets bogged down into hangups and video seizures because is because there is no longer enough RAM for the program to run properly. Once the RAM is used up and locked out Marleybone will not function properly.

Maybe the program is not properly taking out the garbage or is piling up textures or whatever. All I know is that THIS IS WHAT IS HAPPENING. Something is using up and simultaneously reserving this RAM which is preventing the program from having enough RAM to run properly. Increasing the Page File size has no effect either since retrieving the game from the hard drive is worse than the status quo.

During Marleybone the RAM is being eaten alive and locked out as if it were reserved RAM.

If you don't believe me do your own tests.

As far as KI is concerned, you need to look at this RAM lockout as the RAM use keeps growing and the lock out keeps getting bigger and bigger in Marleybone and even extends to locking out RAM after the program is shut down. That means that what is causing this is still stuck in RAM after the program closes so it must be a mechanism that is resident in RAM during game play that is doing this.

This is the cause of the problem.