Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Derby Cheat?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
I was just in a ranked pet derby, and one of the pets (a firezilla) only completed 1 lap before "finishing" the race. When the rest of us finished the 2nd lap and joined her on the podium, her time was listed as 1:23, when it took the rest of us 2:51-2:53 to finish. How is it that she only had to complete 1 lap of the race before winning? Either the firezillas have a seriously uber skip lap ability, or she was cheating. :(

Administrator
This was not a cheat, young Wizard, it was just a bug that was fixed in last night's update.
Thank you!

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
Are you sure it was fixed? Because if so, then there are other people who actually are cheating this way. I participated in four pet derbies this afternoon, and in every single one, someone started on lap two in the first lap. I remember the name and pet of one of the people because I've raced with him about a dozen times in the last few days and only twice did he ever have to complete both laps.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
Some pets may have a derby ability that lets them teleport to next pet ahead (you will be behind that pet I think). I had it in the test realm and finished the race in half the time as the others, only once though. I reported it as a bug then, and the nice professor said they fixed it now, so race onward!

Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
In some races, that may be occurring. However, in the races that I was talking about today, that's not what happened. Teleporting to the next pet ahead still wouldn't make it so you only need to do one lap. Besides that, the person who keeps finishing first will, in fact, be behind everyone else for the single lap he has to complete. I look at the minimap in the upper right corner often, which is how I know where on the track he is during the race and how many times he had to go around. As for the bug being fixed, I don't deny that my own pet no longer randomly starts out on lap two, as he did a couple days ago. I've competed in several more races since my last post, and most of them were fair. Only one more had a pet finish in one lap, and it was the same person that I've seen skipping laps ever since the advanced pet update. I should also note that I saw him sliding around off the track at the start of one of the races we were in today, and that happened to my own pet when he would skip laps before the update last night. I realize that it's not fair or a good idea to go around accusing people of being cheaters, which is why I haven't said this person's name and why I asked if they're sure the bug has been fixed; because if it has, then I think this matter needs to be looked into.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2009
Just a heads up. This is not fixed as of 12:46am EST, May 28th, 2010. Just had pet finish in one lap in a derby in which I participated.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
Yes, I don't think the bug was fixed. I have seen many players only do one lap and finish. This is mostly in ranked derby races. My brother had this big happen to him in a practice race. He was using a slow computer, so I believe that this bug might be happening to wizards with slow computers.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
Someone a few posts up said the teleport ability might have something to do with the continued lap skipping and I dismissed that at first, but now I see that they were right. People are using the ability the second the race starts, and that teleports them behind the finish line so they complete lap one right away. Now, that isn't exactly a bug, but I still think it should be dealt with. Otherwise, anyone who gets into a race with somebody that has that ability is doomed from the very first second to lose, no matter how good they are.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
It might be that teleport ability, but when this bug happened to my brother in the Practice Derby, he never had that ability and only did one lap still.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
I've also just realized that the teleport ability does apply to this "bug" after all. I've just been doing a few ranked races since I am almost a pet warlord, then immediatly, I lose all races. This was because of a player using an ability called "Spiffy Pop". The player used Spiffy Pop at the very start of the race. He immediatly completed the first lap. He finished the race in half the time everyone else had. I agree with you, Taraji, for that although this isn't exactly a bug, I believe it need to be dealt with. It is making it unfair for other players includng myself who have been working so hard to get their pet rank.

If it helps, I do have pictures of the one of the people who have done this. He is a pet Warlord.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
I just ran a ranked race where the person in last the entire race finished first. I agree that something needs to be done. I enjoy the pet addition, but its just not right when one skill is an instant "I win".

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
i dont think it was fixed my pet firezilla did the exact same thing it went only one lap. at first i thought it was cool then i found out everyone behind me had lost rank even the second place pet

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
This was not a cheat, young Wizard, it was just a bug that was fixed in last night's update.
Thank you!

This has -NOT- been fixed and I received a response via email that the staff says it is still broken.

Please update the bug list to include this. Thank you!

Explorer
Jun 15, 2009
hiway1999 wrote:
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
Thank you!

This has -NOT- been fixed and I received a response via email that the staff says it is still broken.

Please update the bug list to include this. Thank you!

yes, 7:11pm June 09, 2010

Baby Choco the Supportive Wildcat, still bugging, and still cheating, and more still ripping us off in the derby, one lap races, much unfair, much gets boring fast

Survivor
May 06, 2010
I had the same thing happen to me, and it was the same guy winning over and over. He had a firezilla, and I think many of us in this thread are talking about the same guy, with a female firezilla pet whom i won't name. I don't think it is due to a skill, or a slow computer connection/bug. I think it's just a cheat. plain and simple.

Lets say it was the bug that was causing certain players to win after one lap, but it was totally unintentional. Well then, that sure is a selective bug, since it only seemed to strike this one guy, and happen to him many many times, when every other player I play with is/has been totally unaffected.

Then let's say for arguments sake that my computer happens to be one of the "slow" computers affected by the bug. Therefore his flag icon's progress appears on my screen to get stuck half way around the track, once he's won. This still doesn't account for him finishing the race after only a minute.

Or let's suppose it was the skill. Even if you teleported to the lead pet. you would still need to complete both laps to win, and it would still take you 2 plus minutes to finish the race, like the rest of us.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy it. As much as I wish it WAS just a bug or a skill, neither of those arguments account for the whole situation. It would explain parts of what is happening, but there are too many bits that still wouldn't make sense. I hate to say it, but dude cheated. Anyway, I have screen shots, as well as the wizard and pet's name if any admin are interested.

Happy derbying and the best of luck to those of you out there who are honestly playing! :))

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
ladieeluck wrote:

Or let's suppose it was the skill. Even if you teleported to the lead pet. you would still need to complete both laps to win, and it would still take you 2 plus minutes to finish the race, like the rest of us.

Yeah, I would see it doesn't make sense. I'll try to explain my thought. I only came to this conclusion when I saw a pet do this repeatedly.

I think when the player uses the "Spiffy Pop" ability it teleports the pet right behind the pet that is in front of them. So for example, if a player uses "Spiffy Pop" right at the start of a race, it will teleport it behind the pet in front of it, and if the pet is at the finish line at the beginning, it will teleport the pet behind the finish line, making it complete one lap.

I hope that made sense... I'm not good at explaining things... :(