Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Player movement system --- game response slow

AuthorMessage
Adherent
May 20, 2010
I'm relatively new to Wizard101, but I've played many other MMORPG's. I like everything in this game except the movement system.

The movement system (I use the directional arrows) is clumsy. Press the left/right arrows slightly, and the player turns too far in the intended direction, not far enough, or not at all.

Also, the game has gotten really slow to respond since the pet update (I haven't used a pet so far). Menus open very slowly, and there's a noticeable delay after clicking keys (i.e. choosing a spell, playing a game) before the screen updates. It wasn't nearly as bad before.

When the game is running, other things on my machine seem to slow down, as well.

Are these things normal (e.g. is it the game and game servers), or does it have something to do with my machine? If it's on my end, what in-game (e.g. video) settings should I turn off in order to make things work better?

My specs are: Athlon 2200 (single core) processor, 2 GB ram, GeForce 5500 (256 mb ram, yeah I know that's low-end) video card, ZoneAlarm, and a Linksys router (connection isn't an issue).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Well, no one else is complaining of this... so it must be you then?

But, for the arrows, if you must turn slightly hold the right mouse button and turn or tap the arrows.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
My guess is that your computer is still downloading some files and it causes things to slow. Once they are loaded, it should be fine.

As far as turning, I also use the arrow keys, and it takes awhile to learn exactly the right amount of 'key' to use to turn. I can now easily turn as I wish. The exception is that sometimes my computer/conection lags a bit and I turn a bit too much.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2010
colagada wrote:
I'm relatively new to Wizard101, but I've played many other MMORPG's. I like everything in this game except the movement system.

The movement system (I use the directional arrows) is clumsy. Press the left/right arrows slightly, and the player turns too far in the intended direction, not far enough, or not at all.

Also, the game has gotten really slow to respond since the pet update (I haven't used a pet so far). Menus open very slowly, and there's a noticeable delay after clicking keys (i.e. choosing a spell, playing a game) before the screen updates. It wasn't nearly as bad before.

When the game is running, other things on my machine seem to slow down, as well.

Are these things normal (e.g. is it the game and game servers), or does it have something to do with my machine? If it's on my end, what in-game (e.g. video) settings should I turn off in order to make things work better?

My specs are: Athlon 2200 (single core) processor, 2 GB ram, GeForce 5500 (256 mb ram, yeah I know that's low-end) video card, ZoneAlarm, and a Linksys router (connection isn't an issue).

Thanks in advance for any help.

actually the same thing is happening to me

Survivor
Jan 16, 2010
i been having the same problem i have a amd dual core prosser2.5 4 gigs ram and 1 gig on video card

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
I have the same problem! Also, after a few minutes of slow play, my computer freezes.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
Colagada i have been having the same loading and slow reaction time in game also and it might have something to do with the update.(atleast that is my theory).Before the update i had minor problems but now they seem to have escalated. Especially the 'lagg' or freezing and slowed game play.

Hero
May 27, 2009
I'd guess that with schools letting out for the summer, the servers are under a little more stress than normal, and with the pet update, a lot of more casual players have logged back in, futher increasing demand. I don't normally have trouble with disconnects, but I did today, and lots of patches were downloading every time I teleported anywhere. If you are moving slowly it could just be lag on the server's end and not your computer. Give it a few days for the novelty to wear off and player levels to normalize.

Couple of things: Make sure you are in a Perfect Realm, and remember that if you play the Pet Derby it ALWAYS dumps you in Ambrose afterward, so you'll need to change again.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2009
Yep the updates and the graphics are certanily a problem. I am getting thrown into Full realms and then "poof" I get a crash or booted. Something they need to work on is adding more realms? Summer is coming so it will be very busy on site. BTW brand new computer so it is not the issue.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2010
colagada wrote:
*snip*
. . . the game has gotten really slow to respond since the pet update (I haven't used a pet so far). Menus open very slowly, and there's a noticeable delay after clicking keys (i.e. choosing a spell, playing a game) before the screen updates. It wasn't nearly as bad before.

*snip*

This is actually the reason I logged onto the message boards. Other problems are
1. Extremely slow load time -- or it doesn't load at all.

2. Yesterday, I had trouble accessing internet explorer as well. It seizes up and there is "No Response". Today I can get online, but it is incredibly slow.

3. When traveling to (eg) Shopping District, I go into the tunnel and nothing happens.

4. In the Pet Pavillion, some game fires don't show up. When they do, I hit X and nothing happens. I can move around, but the game is locked up -- no comment boxes show and clicking the Commons or Home icons does nothing. I can't even quit the game. I get to the Options page and click Quit and nothing happens.

I thought at first perhaps the Realm was overcrowded, but when I went to the Realms page, NO realms were listed. None at all, not even the one I was in.

btw, I run Windows Vista with an Intel T3200 processor @ 2.GHz, 3GB RAM, 32-bit OS, 111GB with 33.5GB free.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2010
I'm having a LOT of problems since the pet upgrade, esp. when traveling from one area to another. It wasn't as bad yesterday, but today the area loads extremely slow or fails entirely.

I tried using my Marker to leave the Pet Pavillion and escape to Mirholm, but that didn't work. It showed my Marker had been used, but I didn't go anywhere. The Commons and Home button failed, too.

I thought at first the server was overcrowded, but I can't change servers because no relams are listed. I can't even close the game, "Quit" has no effect, and I have to use ctrl-alt-del and end task.

Please fix this.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Update:

I bought and installed a GeForce 6200 (graphics card. It has a faster processor and 512 MB of RAM (vs. 256 MB on the 5500). The character movement improved greatly; it's much easier to control. I'm not sure why that's improved by a better video card, but the difference is significant.

The other problems are probably due to the pet update putting more of a load on the servers, and the increase in traffic due to the update and school being out.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Angelocean wrote:
Well, no one else is complaining of this... so it must be you then?

But, for the arrows, if you must turn slightly hold the right mouse button and turn or tap the arrows.

lol how do you know "no one else complains"? Seriously I was complaining all the time in the test realm it was slow there and i have a very fast connection and reasonable new computer. The update is dragging. That is true for at least two people now.