Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

wow is the pet hatching THAT much?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 27, 2009
i've been on the test realm a LOT and my stormhound rascal is FINALLY an adult!
so i go to the hatchery and try to mix with ghoul and it tells me i have to pay .... 80,000 GOLD!!!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO THAT IS WAAAAAAY TOOOO MUCH!!!!
wizard101 if you dont change the price NO ONE will pay that much just to mix a pet! i mean you could buy A LARGE DRAGONSPYRE house, AND a LARGE MARLEYBONE house for that much! :x it should be more like, say 5,000
PLEASE CHANGE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Administrator
The reason for the high Hatching cost for the Storm Hound, young Wizard is due to its rarity.

Pet pricing is determined by a pet's Stats and Pedigree.

The pedigree for your rare and powerful Storm Hound will be very high, and therefore the price will also be very high.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
I have to say I agree. I don't mind the rarer or higher stat pets being more expensive to breed but the rates they have right now are ridiculous.

The fact that it costs that much to get the chance of breeding the pet look you want which will then get the chance of getting the talents/powers you want has convinced me to never waste the huge amount of time, gold, and effort that will be needed to actually take advantage of this.

Also there should be an option to hatch a pet by paying with crowns instead of gold. (Although I haven't messed with the hatching much since I saw the crazy price for it so maybe this already exists and I've overlooked it)

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Gamma wrote:
The reason for the high Hatching cost for the Storm Hound, young Wizard is due to its rarity.

The pedigree for your rare and powerful Storm Hound will be very high, and therefore the price will also be very high.

I knew that the hatchery was gonna be expensive like you say, but I think that 80,000 seems a little insane. :P

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
Survivor
Apr 22, 2010
I have to agree also I wanted to mix 2 of my pets to get a hybrid pet but I am not gonna spend days doing nothing but farming 83,000 gold just to get a pet it is way too extreme and the prices need to be dropped dramatically. 10,000 or even 20,000 i could see but 83,000 just made me decide to not even bother with pets anymore.

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
Gamma wrote:

So, what is the formula for determining the price of hatching?

IE - 2 common pets breeding - 5K
1 common with one moderate - 10K

Is there a mathematical formula based on pedigree numbers, or what?

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
How can anyone get 80,000 gold? It will become more popular if you lower the price. Buying things with gold does not get wizard101 any money. I have seen no one with a hybrid yet, which supports my opinion. If you lowered the price, tons of people would have hybrids.

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
The only way to get 80,000 gold is to keep farming people who drop expensive stuff, for hours on end, (which I have done on Kraysys for my boots, yet still nned to get) I'd be ok with 30k, 40k, maybe even 50k, but 80k? No way.

Defender
Jun 11, 2009
i agree with one of the previous posters, hatching you should be able to pay for with crowns. paying those huge amounts for pets, whose gonna by that? pets(particularly hatching) wil decay into just "another part of the game" thats ignored and off to the sidelines. but with buyable with crowns, people will be able to afford it,pets will become a bit more enjoyable, KI will profit off of it, and ill be more satisfied.

i mean, come on, you can make pet energy refillable with crowns, but you cant make this crown buyable? lol

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
Angelocean wrote:
The only way to get 80,000 gold is to keep farming people who drop expensive stuff, for hours on end, (which I have done on Kraysys for my boots, yet still nned to get) I'd be ok with 30k, 40k, maybe even 50k, but 80k? No way.

Well, you _can_, it just takes about 3 months of gameplay, farming 6 characters' fight drops into 1 character's bank and saving up. I actually bought the 90K tiger mount for my character that way.

I'd also like to second the option for crown-buyable hatching, similar to what KI has for mounts/houses. I'd also like a cost-sharing option for when two different wizards are breeding thier pets.

You can currently do this, by using crowns to buy gold. It's just an incredibly unfair and horrendous trade-off. 10K gold costs 7100 crowns. That comes out to 56800 crowns for an 80K breeding attempt.

That means that a breeding a pet you got off a $20 gift card costs around $80. Compare that with the 85K gold lioness mount, which sells for 10k crowns ($20)

I appreciate that KI is trying to preserve the rarity of the higher pedigree pets, but since pets are no longer auctionable, and there is no way to trade items between players, there is alreadt an effective cap on how many pets will ever be in play.

I could see a concern that people with high pedigree pets will try to charge 'stud fees' to other players, but frankly, I kind of expect that sort of thing already, especially considering the cost of breeding.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
Defender
Jul 15, 2009
scheletro wrote:
can you give us a list of the cost for each pet

Heck, I'd be happy with the formula used to determine the cost.

My best guess? Breedcost = [(Pedigree_Number_Pet1 plus Pedigree_Number_Pet2) divided by 2] times ~1600

(Why yes... I _am_ a math geek.)

Survivor
Apr 13, 2010
Gamma wrote:

Your just added a major gold pit in feeding your pet to advance it.
Then you make the cost of hatching pets ridiculous.

IT would be better to forget the hatcher and just get gift card s or by a pet with crowns. To farm that level of gold will take all the fun out of it.
Then you get the pet and have to farm more gold to feed and advance it.
It looks like a major waste.

Survivor
Apr 13, 2010
gdenali wrote:
i've been on the test realm a LOT and my stormhound rascal is FINALLY an adult!
so i go to the hatchery and try to mix with ghoul and it tells me i have to pay .... 80,000 GOLD!!!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO THAT IS WAAAAAAY TOOOO MUCH!!!!
wizard101 if you dont change the price NO ONE will pay that much just to mix a pet! i mean you could buy A LARGE DRAGONSPYRE house, AND a LARGE MARLEYBONE house for that much! :x it should be more like, say 5,000
PLEASE CHANGE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My pets from a 20 dollar gift card cost over 90000 to hatch It do not think I made that much gold getting my character to 50th level

Survivor
Jun 27, 2009
My sis and I wer going to hatch my dark sprite and her life sprite but it costs 47k for a pet you can farm from easy WC bosses

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
Am I missing something? How do you know how much it costs to hatch a pet? My son and I just tried to hatch my dream ghoul with his magma spider, but all it said was that we didn't have enough... It didn't tell us how much we actually needed. Unless I missed it, which is always possible :P

Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
I was soooo dissapointed when i tried to hatch a pet and it said "you only have 50,000 gold" like, ONLY, i worked so hard for like weeks farming just to get to 50,000 gold. And with the prices needed to buy reagents unobtainable through collecting like gems and vials, along with buying the recipies, i'm not getting much closer to 80,000 gold while at the same time trying to advance my pet to adult through feeding it snacks so it doesnt take nearly as long. Anyway, i might have a different opinion of this whole hatching and pet system if it didnt cost so much. I spend hours on training my pets to breed them just to find i'm 30,000 gold short. Also i heard some people refer to pets that came out almost the same as their original pets as "80,000 gold furniture items" since they already have that pet. So it all just doesnt seem worth it to me.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
how am i supposed to figure out how much it'll cost me to hatch a pet when all it's telling me is how much gold i currently have?

Survivor
Oct 17, 2008
Travelingman123 wrote:
How can anyone get 80,000 gold? It will become more popular if you lower the price. Buying things with gold does not get wizard101 any money. I have seen no one with a hybrid yet, which supports my opinion. If you lowered the price, tons of people would have hybrids.

It's quite easy to get that amount of gold, i've bought mounts, houses pets(before they were crowns only) with all 6 of my wizards and never bought a crown. It just takes a bit of farming and if you want the best equip for your wizards it comes easily, especially now the bazaar is there.

Defender
Feb 05, 2010
Hmm yes I agree... But you might as well save for a school house in gold....
Lucas Drakebloom
Level 40
Ice wizard
Oni slayer

Survivor
May 10, 2010
Until they fix the hactery or do a total overhaul of the ridiculous pricing, I will just continue the questing. Like many have said the mini-games are boring, cheats on the derby make racing not fun, so Wizard101 needs to fix it. Its suppose to be a family fun game so everyone can have fun but not in a way people have to cheat to win and have to pay ridiculous prices to do something new. Please do something to make this game easier for the kids.

Survivor
Apr 23, 2009
I think the new pets is a major rip off.

I put in a lot of time and sold almost everything I own to finally get a pet to adulthood, only to find I will never be able to afford to hatch it. I am very upset about this.

Being a Grand Master I hadn't played the game in a while, finding the lack of quests boring, but this got me started again. Now I am so disgusted that I may cancel my subscription altogether.

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Today I mix my Stormzilla with a Satyr. The result of this insanely expensive mix was that the guy with the Satyr got a special new pet. I got another Stormzilla.
Feeling pretty robbed .

In the test realm, usually if one person got a special hybrid- the other person did too. Not that they were both equal, but at least both were unique. And now that I'm playing on my own dime (and I have spent plenty on this game), I doubt I'll bother to hatch again.

Defender
May 02, 2010
I tried to mix my Life Minotaur with a Bronze Helephant and I only had 5,000 gold! From what people are telling me, I think they need to cut down all prices down to at least 10% of the current prices. Say maybe being 5,000-10,000 gold for a basic mix and maybe up to 30, 000 for the most advanced pets.