Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Arena is ruined

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
Ok KI, I have been a member for quite some time, I have been involved in arena for quite some bit, but honestly it's just absolutely ruined now. I can't even do 4v4 or 3v3 (which are my favorite) without running into a chaining team, and the stun block doesn't help one bit, the other team will just use two chokes or blinding lights and just stun the next turn, many people have quit because of it. I mean honestly KI, I know you're working on Celestia and that you might be busy, but honestly you should just see how horrible arena is now, full of bolters, chainer, and cussers, and the people who mainly cuss are KIDS! I mean honestly, you haven't fixed the -1 bug, you haven't reset ranks in forever, and you have yet to do anything about chainers. I mean honestly KI, after all the money that the people who do arena have given you, all you show back to them is that you couldn't care less about arena. I'd love for a KI admin to do arena and see how horrible it is now.

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
Zombie107 wrote:
Ok KI, I have been a member for quite some time, I have been involved in arena for quite some bit, but honestly it's just absolutely ruined now. I can't even do 4v4 or 3v3 (which are my favorite) without running into a chaining team, and the stun block doesn't help one bit, the other team will just use two chokes or blinding lights and just stun the next turn, many people have quit because of it. I mean honestly KI, I know you're working on Celestia and that you might be busy, but honestly you should just see how horrible arena is now, full of bolters, chainer, and cussers, and the people who mainly cuss are KIDS! I mean honestly, you haven't fixed the -1 bug, you haven't reset ranks in forever, and you have yet to do anything about chainers. I mean honestly KI, after all the money that the people who do arena have given you, all you show back to them is that you couldn't care less about arena. I'd love for a KI admin to do arena and see how horrible it is now.

Wild Bolts are easy to deal with. Weakness, Tower Shield, Absorb, Storm Shield, there are literally hundreds of ways. The cussers can just be reported and then put on your ignore list. Chainers, however, are impossible to counter.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
I don't do any teams, the few times I have tried have been really dull and seemed to determined by who went first. I love 1v1, though. Unfortunately, I'm also pretty good at it, and I have over a 1600 rank. I find myself waiting for between 1/2 to over an hour to get a match. It is really time to reset the rankings, and i would suggest capping it at 1000, enough to get warlord, and room for a couple oops' to stay at that rank. Maybe even cap at 900, and then one loss and your no longer warlord. Having the top be unlimited makes for too many long waits while someone who is near your rank que's up for a match.

Defender
May 24, 2009
I totally agree last night some kids were spamming choke the move that stuns all enemies they were using it to stun me than two break the stun block. ki you should put somthing on the game that allows you to have only 1 stun a turn so people have the chance to attack
joseph wyrm bane 33 myth

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
the stun block does help, it prevents a team of ice and storm in 4v4 just go round by round taking turns to use their grand attacks

Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
Umrag wrote:
Zombie107 wrote:

Wild Bolts are easy to deal with. Weakness, Tower Shield, Absorb, Storm Shield, there are literally hundreds of ways. The cussers can just be reported and then put on your ignore list. Chainers, however, are impossible to counter.

I never complained once about TC's since bolts wont be able to be traded. The reason why I hate cussers is because most of the time they are KIDS ok KIDS, who shouldn't have even heard that word and who shouldn't even be saying it, let alone typing it! The main reason why I'm ranting is because of chainers since you can't do in a 3v3 or 4v4 without running into them

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
I've been a member for one and a half years. I've never pvp'd before last night, although I have watched probably 500 or more matches, just to see what its like. I have NEVER seen chain stunners/bolters/judgement/whatever in any of the matches. I HAVE seen people resort to treasure cards when they run out of regular cards though, then they get yelled at for using treasure cards. For crying out loud! Get a reshuffle card/pendant! I have seen some not so nice comments, but that is understandable. I've seen worse words used in the Commons. I won't get into the obscenity problem here, using them is just plain dumb.

Anyway, I was invited to pvp with someone, (thanks David!) and since I was tired of looking for Black Lotus, I went in a 1v1 practice with David, an Ice Grand. I was with my grand storm guy at the time. I beat him, although I think he let me ;-). I realized that I needed to change my deck, since what I had was NOT going to work against a human opponent. It is entirely different in pvp . He taught me a few things along the way, and soon we were in a 2v2. We beat them pretty easily, and after a few 'gg' (i would think that 'gm' for Good Match would be better) we were done.

I then entered a 3v3. We won again. The losing team was very nice about it, passing the 'gg' around, as in most of the matches I've watched.

I don't know what percentage of players in Wizard101 play pvp, but from what I've been seeing over the last year and a half, I'd have to say what everyone is complaining about is not a problem at all, but something that can be corrected by using the correct deck configuration.
Ok, let them rip

Adam FireHammer

Defender
May 31, 2009
Ragtim,

Were it that more posts were as positive as yours!

Alas, I'm afraid that if you spend more time in the arena you'll see more and more what really gets people fired up.

However, there are two things I'd like to highlight from your post.

One, if nothing else, I think that your post proved that the arena is, in fact, NOT ruined. Far from it. As you experienced, there are loads and loads of folks who demonstrate sportsmanship and know how to show respect in the Arena. I've played many a match against someone who I have friended afterwards, and some of my most memorable matches have ended up where my opponent and I talk about strategy and stuff for a long time after. This is the true spirit of The Arena and competition and it's alive and (mostly) well.

The other thing that I think your post touched on that isn't emphasized enough is the importance of deck configuration. Besides practice, practice, and practice, it's the forth most important a part of this game. Contrary to what many treasure card nay sayers say, deck construction is indeed a skill. And done correctly, it's art as well.

That said, I do feel there are a few things that could use some tweaking (make Wild Bolt 3 pips, eliminate Choke from pvp), but with the exception of Chain Stunning there is a winning strategy for every scenario.

Good post, Ragtim, and thanks for being a fresh breath of optimistic air.

mlb

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
Thank you so much! Finally someone understands what players are going through, I'm level 20 so i havent really been on that long but since i've been on i have been loving the arena less and less. Its filled to the brim with rude, self-obsessed, egotistic mad dog killers whose only goal is to kill the player. I mean i understand that is the point of the game but, i think they miss the point of the game. This game is for people to come and enjoy themselves, not to have their self-esteem crushed by someone thousands or even a million miles away. There should really be stricter rules on bullying on the game cause seriously if i were a critic i would give this game a C- on protecting players from these jerks!

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
Bluedevil15 wrote:
Thank you so much! Finally someone understands what players are going through, I'm level 20 so i havent really been on that long but since i've been on i have been loving the arena less and less. Its filled to the brim with rude, self-obsessed, egotistic mad dog killers whose only goal is to kill the player. I mean i understand that is the point of the game but, i think they miss the point of the game. This game is for people to come and enjoy themselves, not to have their self-esteem crushed by someone thousands or even a million miles away. There should really be stricter rules on bullying on the game cause seriously if i were a critic i would give this game a C- on protecting players from these jerks!

The Earth is only about 25 000 miles in perimeter, your saying that aliens play Wizard101.

Defender
Jun 03, 2009
Good sport or poor sport hmm arena has all kinds I have been in many matches myself with many different wizards of mine. I havw watched hundreds of matches as well The thing that takes the heart right out of arena I think is this trend of 4v4 teams who use stunning untill their teammates have enough pips to attack and kill the other team that NEVER gets the chance to put up one shield this , I'm sure many of you have seen or had the misfortune of being on the reciving end of such tactics. I belive it is much harder for a team of 3 to do these moves. I have yet to be in such a match of 3v3 that this has happened. So yes in a sense 4v4 in ranked play is of course ruined as long as thesee teams of a fire a myth and a couple storm can stop the other team from even putting up any sort of cover ar attack. No stun block does NOT work in these matches, your not given a chance to play the card once. Oh by the way I challenged every one of those players in a 1v1 any time they never take the bait I was reported in fact cause I called them COWARDS I do not like the cursing in arena there are better ways to express one self.
By the time KI gets around to ha ha ha FIX this well lets just say don't hold your breath Good Luck everyone :)

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
There is a solution to chain stunning. Its called stun block that girl in the fairgrounds offers it, just no one takes it :l

Survivor
Jul 27, 2009
Just to say, someone named Mycin made a group called the White Angels. What we do is battle and battle in the arena. We're unstopable, but we know that we will lose eventually.

That's not it, though. We have NEVER! NEVER! Encountered chainners, and that's good!

Defender
May 31, 2009
There is a solution to chain stunning. Its called stun block that girl in the fairgrounds offers it, just no one takes it :l

Stun Block does indeed help, FlipFred, but I'm not sure you fully appreciate how Chain Stunning works. If the chain stunning team goes first, you could have an entire Side deck of stun blocks and it wouldn't help because you would never get a chance to cast one. Not even a SINGLE spell! Stun Block would indeed help if you go first, but even if you do, what are the chances that every body on your team has a stun block showing? Plus, all it takes is one of the Chain Stunners to cast a single player stun and you'll then join the rest of your team in perpetual stun. And, if you don't cast a Stun Block to start, that might be the one and only spell you will cast if the Chain stunning starts.

So, while stun block does help, it is far from the solution to overcoming this menace.

mlb