Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Sharing an account with kids

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 31, 2008
I'd like to suggest that the age check be done with each character made so that if an adult is sharing an account with kids they don't qualify for filtered chat etc. They could also possibly be put on a different server, if that's one of the things the age check affects.

Maybe optional passwords per character as well.

Overall, just the ability to share an account with children, while still maintaining some of the safety features would be great.

Thank you.

Survivor
May 29, 2008
Dromio wrote:
I'd like to suggest that the age check be done with each character made so that if an adult is sharing an account with kids they don't qualify for filtered chat etc. They could also possibly be put on a different server, if that's one of the things the age check affects.

Maybe optional passwords per character as well.

Overall, just the ability to share an account with children, while still maintaining some of the safety features would be great.

Thank you.
Age check isn't necessary. This is what parental controls are here for. The parent account is the "administrator" of the accounts. This account may determine whether the child accounts have text chat or not simply by a click of the mouse. I do believe the default setting for child accounts is disallowed text chat.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2008
you see he thinks that it would be better so kids dont say things they arent suposed to say I say that you make a server made for it and everything that he said

Community Leader
Kilajula wrote:
The parent account is the "administrator" of the accounts. This account may determine whether the child accounts have text chat or not simply by a click of the mouse. I do believe the default setting for child accounts is disallowed text chat.

What I think Dromio means is when a parent and child share a single account.

My daughter and I share an account while my son has one of his own, (he's a little older) and I agree that the ability to limit chat on a character by character basis would be fantastic.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2008
Account sharing is against the EULA for most games. Since I can't find the Wizard101 EULA, I can't say for sure that it is here, but I would guess so, based on experience with other MMOs.

There's definitely a difference between playing with a kid on your lap (which I wouldn't consider sharing), though and having completely separate characters that you play independently of each other (true account sharing). In the case of true account sharing, why should KingsIle put in features that help players by making it easier to share accounts, thereby taking revenue away from KingsIsle?

~Ripper

Administrator
If you have any questions about our Terms of Service, it is linked at the bottom of each and every page on the website.

:)

We do not discourage families from sharing an account, however the ability to split that account into different users (ie parent / child, child a / child b) is not possible. Once you are logged in, you are logged in, we cannot tell who you are beyond that.

Thank you for your input and if you are looking for more controls for your account, including a parental password, see the My Accounts section linked under your login name on this website.

community@wizard101.com
Community Leader
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
... the ability to split that account into different users (ie parent / child, child a / child b) is not possible.

Ah, well. That's a wee bit inconvenient, but hardly the end of the world. It's still a fantastic game after all!

I've considered getting my daughter her own account, but she's reluctant to leave her main character behind in my account. Something to think about, though.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
i would guess that is the exact reason they give you a Parent account then allow you to connect multipal child accounts to it. Each child to their own account. If you don't want your children having access to the open chat... make them their own account. I doubt there is a way to move exsisting characters to a new account though.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Well that bumped quite an old thread.

In many games, "no sharing an account" basically means, "if you give someone your password and he does something to your account that you don't like, don't come cry to us about it".

A company has no way to tell the difference between one person using an account and two different people who live together using the same account from the same computer.