Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard 101 On Mac.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
I used the Wine program, it works well except for sometimes when the game is closing the screen turns black and i can still move the mouse around and the only thing that gets it to go away is turning off my computer, and when I turn off my computer, it doesn't work anymore. When I click on the shortcuts, it comes up with TextEdit with a bunch random letters. Please help.... i can't keep reinstalling!

In addition, I just became a member. What quest leads into Colossus Boulevard?

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
Wizard101 runs on a Windows enabled computer. To enable Windows on your mac, visit apple.com and follow their instructions. Link below.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/11889.html

K.I.,
I have a macbook pro. I downloaded bootcamp. I then downloaded windows xp. I then downloaded and played wiz 101 for about a year successfully. However, every time I played wiz 101, my computer would get really hot. I only used the windows partition to play wiz 101. After about a year of playing, my hard drive crashed. Luckily my brother-in-law who owns his own computer business fixed it for me. He also warned my not to put windows on my mac previously and after he fixed my computer. My point is, is that for the most part, mac users do not want to put windows on their apple computers. King Isle, for all mac lovers and wiz 101 lovers, plz transgame over to macintosh. Thank you!
Jenna Frogcatcher
Legendary Theurgist

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
well i know about laptops and the mac is not the best place to play wizard101 it usually works much better when you use a gate away or acer or anything like that i hope this helps :D

Survivor
Sep 01, 2009
Survivor
Dec 23, 2010
wait so can you get wizard101 fir the imac? so would i have to download something?

Survivor
Nov 29, 2010
Macs do not let you download wizard 101. Wizard 101 is only for windows computers. Usually when u download it on a mac the mac tells you that this page has been blocked. It is better to play on a windows computer. Remember guys macs do not work.

Survivor
May 28, 2011
ok you need to install whatever you need to install and give it a try

that doesnt soubd too bad :)

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
Hi, I want to thank whoever posted the Wine download, because after carefully considering the instructions for weeks, trying again and again, it finally downloaded on my computer successfully! The only thing is that when you type your username and password and it loads, the screen is white with a bunch of foreign letters on it. But once you click play, every things fine. And about a minute after you log on, the screen freezes for about 20 seconds but then resumes. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! Wizard101 is my favorite game; but when I got a MacBook it was upsetting to know I couldn't play it! Thanks again! Friend me I'm Anna Moon, School of Fire, level 22.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
rocketlauncherdude wrote:
OK, try this:

Installing Wizard101 on an Intel Mac using Wine (Open Source Freeware)

This has worked on a Macbook Pro (OS 10.6) and a Macbook (OS 10.5). Other versions of Wine may work but I’m not volunteering to try them. Also, I have not fully tested this so YMMV and use at your own risk.

1) Download InstallWizard101.exe from https://www.wizard101.com/game/downloadinstructions
2) Download WineBottlerCombo_1.1.44.dmg (BETA) from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
3) Double-click WineBottlerCombo_1.1.44.dmg and drag'n'drop Wine to your Applications folder. Forget WineBottler since it isn’t necessary and has additional dependencies (requires Mac Developer Tools and MacPorts).
4) Go to Applications folder and double-click Wine (puts a wineglass in the Apple Menubar)
5) Click on the wineglass and select Configuration > “Prefix created successfully”
6) Close Configuration window (and any other windows)
7) Click on wineglass and select Winetricks
8) Put a check in: d3dx9 (MS d3dx9_??.dll) and vcrun2005
9) Click Apply and close Winetricks
10) Click on wineglass and select Control Panel
11) Double-click Add/Remove Programs and click on Install
12) Navigate to where you downloaded wizard101.exe and select Programs (*.exe) from the drop-down “Files of” window
13) Select InstallWizard101.exe and click open
14) Click Play > sign-on page will show ASCII characters instead of graphics
15) Enter Username and Password and click on Login (sometimes takes twice)
16) Once the Play button appears click on Settings and select Advanced Video Tab
17) Uncheck Fullscreen and Apply
18) Click OK
19) Click Play (the first time loading will take a while)
>>> In Options leave Resolution blank and Fullscreen OFF

To use, navigate to: your home directory/Wine Files/drive_c/Program Files/KingsIsle Entertainment/Wizard101

- right-click wizard101.exe and select Get Info. Change "Open with" to Wine in drop down window (if it isn't already)
- right-click wizard101.exe and select Create Alias. You can then drag this alias to your dock

* You may need to install a later version of X11 (XQuartz) as well. I had to install 2.4.0 on the Macbook. Get it here: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

Do this! It works! Honest!

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
SpiritOfFire4 wrote:
Yes please make it for Mac! I love this game but I can no longer play it without my Windows computer, and with only a Mac half of a month of membership is going to waste and I am sad. No matter how long it takes it will bring in a lot more players and make me and many others happy!
you know a lot of people i know want wizard 101 to be on mac and to get windows on it it cost $200 so please make wizard101 for mac

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
OK, try this:

Installing Wizard101 on an Intel Mac using Wine (Open Source Freeware)

This has worked on a Macbook Pro (OS 10.6) and a Macbook (OS 10.5). Other versions of Wine may work but I’m not volunteering to try them. Also, I have not fully tested this so YMMV and use at your own risk.

1) Download InstallWizard101.exe from https://www.wizard101.com/game/downloadinstructions
2) Download WineBottlerCombo_1.1.44.dmg (BETA) from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
3) Double-click WineBottlerCombo_1.1.44.dmg and drag'n'drop Wine to your Applications folder. Forget WineBottler since it isn’t necessary and has additional dependencies (requires Mac Developer Tools and MacPorts).
4) Go to Applications folder and double-click Wine (puts a wineglass in the Apple Menubar)
5) Click on the wineglass and select Configuration > “Prefix created successfully”
6) Close Configuration window (and any other windows)
7) Click on wineglass and select Winetricks
8) Put a check in: d3dx9 (MS d3dx9_??.dll) and vcrun2005
9) Click Apply and close Winetricks
10) Click on wineglass and select Control Panel
11) Double-click Add/Remove Programs and click on Install
12) Navigate to where you downloaded wizard101.exe and select Programs (*.exe) from the drop-down “Files of” window
13) Select InstallWizard101.exe and click open
14) Click Play > sign-on page will show ASCII characters instead of graphics
15) Enter Username and Password and click on Login (sometimes takes twice)
16) Once the Play button appears click on Settings and select Advanced Video Tab
17) Uncheck Fullscreen and Apply
18) Click OK
19) Click Play (the first time loading will take a while)
>>> In Options leave Resolution blank and Fullscreen OFF

To use, navigate to: your home directory/Wine Files/drive_c/Program Files/KingsIsle Entertainment/Wizard101

- right-click wizard101.exe and select Get Info. Change "Open with" to Wine in drop down window (if it isn't already)
- right-click wizard101.exe and select Create Alias. You can then drag this alias to your dock

* You may need to install a later version of X11 (XQuartz) as well. I had to install 2.4.0 on the Macbook. Get it here: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

I did this and it is the best! i can play wizard101 all the time on my macbook pro!! try this, anyone who is desperate! it looks like a lot, but its worth it! totally free and trustworthy!

Survivor
May 05, 2010
Why is it so difficult to make wiz available for mac users? You're so proud of the fact that you have over 10 million users; this would open it to so many more. I have been playing for eighteen months, two accounts and four wizards higher than level 60. I have had a mac for three years. I ressurected my old computer so I could play this game. My old computer finally died and all I have left is my mac. BTW, have followed the threads you recommend and the three of us can't figure out how to set up my mac for this game. I have boot camp. I guess I will have to cancel our three accounts.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
nanagray wrote:
Why is it so difficult to make wiz available for mac users? You're so proud of the fact that you have over 10 million users; this would open it to so many more. I have been playing for eighteen months, two accounts and four wizards higher than level 60. I have had a mac for three years. I ressurected my old computer so I could play this game. My old computer finally died and all I have left is my mac. BTW, have followed the threads you recommend and the three of us can't figure out how to set up my mac for this game. I have boot camp. I guess I will have to cancel our three accounts.

It's not the fault of KI. This is a problem with Apple, and the tendency of that company to create platforms and software that do not play well with other platforms. It's (I think) an issue originating with Apple's disdain for Flash and anything free-to-share.

Complain to Apple and consider joining the legions of PC wizards in the Great Spiral.

Regards,

A Happy PC Wizard

Defender
May 13, 2009
It is possible to get wizard101 on a mac. All you have to do is download crossover games which is free. It allows you to play Wizard101 on a mac Which i actually do! But i dont remember how to download crossover games.

Survivor
Jan 25, 2009
Yeah, my mom just got a super fast and awesome Macbook Air and said I could use it, but Wizard 101 doesn't work on it! I hope they make a Mac-native client for W101!

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
Oh, the trials and tribulations of getting Windows programs to work on a Mac. My current install on my Macbook Pro is still working, but the Macbook got a clean install of OS 10.6, deleting the W101 install. When I went back through the steps I outlined I also ran into problems - Winetricks is broken. So, here is another and arguably better solution (it creates a W101 Mac app) which is also freeware:

1) Download PlayOnMac (I got the latest which is 2.4.5) from:

http://www.playonmac.com/en/download.html

2) Download Wizard101.exe from:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/downloadinstructions

3) Copy the PlayOnMac from its disk image to your applications folder (I couldn't get it to work if I put it anywhere else)

4) Run PlayOnMac from your applications folder

5) It will then walk you through installing XQuartz (I allowed incoming connections) and MS fonts

6) When all of the above is completed (make sure each step completes before hitting the next button) click on Install from the PlayOnMac window

7) Click on Install an unsupported program in the bottom left corner of the window

8) Choose Install a program in a new prefix

9) Choose a name ( I chose Wizard101)

10) Ignore next screen and click Continue

11) Browse to where you downloaded InstallWizard101.exe (I had copied mine from the downloads folder to the desktop) and select

12) Install Wizard101 by clicking on play

13) When W101 login window comes up close it without signing in

14) Wait for the install to complete

15) Create shortcut (I named it Wizard101.exe)

You should now have a Wizard101.exe.app on your desktop. Put it in your applications folder and you now have W101 mac app!

Let me know if you have any problems and I will respond. Have Fun playing W101! :-D

Try this - I wouldn't count on W101 being ported to the Mac.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, it should. I am very tired of playing on the old run down lap top. My family owns a new fast running Mac that wizard101 wont go on. Bootcamp is very expensive just for one game I want to play, Codeweavers makes the game have issues (plus I can't even download it. I only heard it had issues from codeweavers themselves). I'm sure KI would make double their money if it were on Mac.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
hawn89 wrote:
Wait, there's a way to get wizard101 on a mac?
Does that require bootcamp or something, though? I would love to run wizard101 on my mac...but I'm not too excited about running windows on it, too, since I would only really use windows for wizard101.

ikr!

Survivor
Aug 07, 2011
I have the solution to your problems my friends!

So i recently got the new macbook air and i really wanted to play wizard101 on it, doing a little research on youtube worked, and now I'm playing it. Here are the very complicated steps for those of you who step on the pieces of gum:

1) Type in the url: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover/ I haven't tried the Codeweavers Crossover Games site in the system requirements in the link provided by kingsisle/wizard101, as long as it has a download free trial now button you are good to go.
2) Click the Download Free Trial Now Button: Something else will pop up that will require your name and email. Codeweavers will probably not use any of this info ,and to keep your information safe create a fake or new email to hold junk email from sites. Name too, make up a fake name. But make sure when you input the email address you must have a valid email, like gmail or hotmail. So like BestestDivinerKracken@hotmail.com. Much better, now don't input anything else if it asks you, just the name and email.
3)Now that you are done with that, Download the Crossover games trial, 10.2.0 The download button at the right corner of your mac should be moving/downloading.
4)The Downloaded item should be done and open it up at the downloads app in the bottom right corner of your screen, open it. Now after it is done loading, the window will have the Crossover icon and your applications folder. "Crossover" the Crossover icon to your folder. It should be copied to the folder.
5) Open the crossover application. And a message may pop up, it will show you how many days you have with the trial. Hide the button.
6) Take a breather you are almost there buddy!
7) Now, Download Wizard101, it should download.
8 ) Do not open Wizard101 normally, yet.
9) Go to you hidden Crossover Games window and go to the bar at the top of the screen: Go to the option, configure. You will have four options: click Manage bottles.
10) Now a new screen will load up: Go to Applications, and make sure you see, installed software.
11) Click on your Wizard101 application and now press Add Duplicate...
12) Another screen should pop up: Give the bottle a name, like something you may remember such as Play Wizard101 or just Wizard101. Type it in and press create. This process may take a long time, depending on first time usage or what not.
13) After that everything is basically done! But you may want to do this: Go to Finder, then to your wizard101 software in the applications or in a crossover folder, drag it down to your Dock.
14) Now my friend you are completed: Now go have some fun,
On Wizard101.

Thank you KingsIsle for creating such an amazing game
~Kristen LegendRunner Level Fifty-One Ice Wizard (finally)

Survivor
May 02, 2009
McWizard wrote:
OK I read the thread about how to get Wizard 101 on a Mac, but when you click the "Install" for the game it says you need to download Window Installer 2.0 I downloaded, then it says I need to download files for Installer to work. What files though? Some download, then others have this page of things to read no download, and one said this download has been moved, then it takes me to where it is but I can't find it. Can someone help?

if you want to play wizard101 on a mac go to www.crossovergames.com

and download it and then run crossover games then download wizard -
101 and enjoy :)

Survivor
May 02, 2009
if you guys want to play it then download crossover game and then run it.next you install it.now download wizard101 again if you already downloaded it.
now follow whatever it says to do and your done :-) enjoy

javascript:emoticon(':-D');

Survivor
Aug 20, 2011
My dad had the same problem but you need to install crossover games. This still needs to be run off the windows download though. Good luck!

Survivor
Aug 20, 2011
pacofart5 wrote:
CoronaLime wrote:
I've been partially successful at getting Wizard101 to run under CrossOver. CrossOver emulates Windows environment, so you don't need a copy of Windows and you can run in a Virtual Window within MAC.

One key gotcha is that you will need to disable Hardware Cursor in the option settings otherwise you won't see the cursor 'wand'.

You can download and learn more about CrossOver at:
www.codeweavers.com

Best Success!

Sadly, i downloaded this onto my mac and disabled hardware cursor and stuff, but there it still an error and it has to close. I don't want to install windows onto my mac because my old windows computer has so many viruses and it's too slow. I payed a lot of money for my mac and i want to play wizard 101 on it. There will be a lot more players if you made this game for mac. Please make it for MAC! I have to use my old PC but that computer stinks, so therefore i have a bad playing experience, and now i can't even get into the game. Please make it for Mac, it will be a good deed. I like the game, and i want to play it on a good computer. Please, Administration, take this post under consideration.

You need crossover games. I don't know much about it, but i know that it is the same as crossover but works better for wizard101. It runs it through windows just like normal crossover. Once again, Good luck!

Survivor
Jun 16, 2011
Yeah, i would very much like wizzy101 to be used on Mac, counting the fact most computers in my house are Mac. Can the wizzy101 admin please please PLEASE make this game compatible on a pure mac screen?

Survivor
Jul 19, 2010
McWizard wrote:
OK I read the thread about how to get Wizard 101 on a Mac, but when you click the "Install" for the game it says you need to download Window Installer 2.0 I downloaded, then it says I need to download files for Installer to work. What files though? Some download, then others have this page of things to read no download, and one said this download has been moved, then it takes me to where it is but I can't find it. Can someone help?
just get crossover :-)