Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard 101 On Mac.

AuthorMessage
Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Oh well. I guess I have to jump on this bandwagon too.

One of our computer died. :(

And guess what. We got a mac.

Searching the message boards and looking into options, I don't see that I will be playing Wizard101 on my mac any time soon.

That's sad too. I had started a sub-account so that the family could play together at the same time. So it looks like one of the accounts will be going on hold (or away) for a while. No sense paying for two accounts now.

Administrator
Our good friends at Codeweavers have created a community page for Wizard101 on Mac and Linux. Watch their "How-to-Install" video to learn how to run Wizard101 on your Mac or Linux system using CrossOver.

You will also find a special offer for purchasing CrossOver in order to run Wizard101!

Visit their site today at
https://www.codeweavers.com/via/wizard101

community@wizard101.com
Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Professor Greyrose wrote:
Our good friends at Codeweavers have created a community page for Wizard101 on Mac and Linux. Watch their "How-to-Install" video to learn how to run Wizard101 on your Mac or Linux system using CrossOver.

You will also find a special offer for purchasing CrossOver in order to run Wizard101!

Visit their site today at
https://www.codeweavers.com/via/wizard101

Thank you for the link, Professor.

I tried it last night, and after 2-1/2 hours, I still couldn't finish setting it up. I'm not a computer whiz. I know just enough to get by. I did look at the forum / messages on the Codeweavers sight to try to get some help, but the people on there look just as confused as I was. *sigh*

So I don't think the frustration of trying to get the game set up on my mac is going to be worth it. And it would also be costing $40 every 6 months for the CrossOver Game too. I'm still debating what to do about unsubscribing one of my accounts. Not sure what to do at this point. Maybe something easier will come up before the end of my current subscriptions.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
Oh darn. I hate to see you all like this.

Boot Camp isn't really a bad program. I use it all the time to play Wizard101, and it instantly lets you switch right back to Mac. If you were to be installing Windows on to your Mac, I think the whole idea of "Mac" would be gone.

So Boot Camp, or Codeweavers, would be the best way to go, although I can't seem to get Codeweavers to work for me, the whole reason I use Boot Camp.

Survivor
Oct 27, 2010
If you are having problems installing CrossOver Games on your Mac to play Wizard 101, contact the support team at CodeWeavers, aka the Ninjas.

Put in a support ticket at:
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/

Survivor
Dec 06, 2010
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! This is like watching an angry mob outside the White House!! The people are mad and screaming and debating outside, then every once in a while someone will come out and tell about a solution in a formal and very organized voice and the solution will always be either very time consuming or be expensive or both. Thats pretty much how the White House would work right?? Well I think so. Anyways, I think you guys are right about getting Wizard101 on Macs. I dont know a TON about computers but when those people said all that coding stuff for PC to Mac I understood a little bit. Im a fan of Macs myself but I have a PC because Macs are expensive and I think Windows is much easier. Anyways good luck on your campaign to get Wizard101 on Mac!!!!

Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
Explorer
Sep 28, 2010
My friend is gonna flip when he hears this HE LOVES WW101 so this is gonna make him so happy.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
McWizard wrote:
OK I read the thread about how to get Wizard 101 on a Mac, but when you click the "Install" for the game it says you need to download Window Installer 2.0 I downloaded, then it says I need to download files for Installer to work. What files though? Some download, then others have this page of things to read no download, and one said this download has been moved, then it takes me to where it is but I can't find it. Can someone help?

Did you go to the Code Weavers site? Go to the site and type in Wizard101, press on the first link that you see, (the top link) and it will take you to the correct place, scroll down and click Download Crossover MAC trial, after the download, download the next green link, Download Crossover Games Mac for trial. After that click the orange link, Install Wizard101. I'm pretty sure that's what you do to download it, or watch the video to download it. It's on the same page.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
I got my Mac a few months ago, and when I try to press the load button on Software Installer, It doesn't do anything! I'm dying here!

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
OK, try this:

Installing Wizard101 on an Intel Mac using Wine (Open Source Freeware)

This has worked on a Macbook Pro (OS 10.6) and a Macbook (OS 10.5). Other versions of Wine may work but I’m not volunteering to try them. Also, I have not fully tested this so YMMV and use at your own risk.

1) Download InstallWizard101.exe from https://www.wizard101.com/game/downloadinstructions
2) Download WineBottlerCombo_1.1.44.dmg (BETA) from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
3) Double-click WineBottlerCombo_1.1.44.dmg and drag'n'drop Wine to your Applications folder. Forget WineBottler since it isn’t necessary and has additional dependencies (requires Mac Developer Tools and MacPorts).
4) Go to Applications folder and double-click Wine (puts a wineglass in the Apple Menubar)
5) Click on the wineglass and select Configuration > “Prefix created successfully”
6) Close Configuration window (and any other windows)
7) Click on wineglass and select Winetricks
8) Put a check in: d3dx9 (MS d3dx9_??.dll) and vcrun2005
9) Click Apply and close Winetricks
10) Click on wineglass and select Control Panel
11) Double-click Add/Remove Programs and click on Install
12) Navigate to where you downloaded wizard101.exe and select Programs (*.exe) from the drop-down “Files of” window
13) Select InstallWizard101.exe and click open
14) Click Play > sign-on page will show ASCII characters instead of graphics
15) Enter Username and Password and click on Login (sometimes takes twice)
16) Once the Play button appears click on Settings and select Advanced Video Tab
17) Uncheck Fullscreen and Apply
18) Click OK
19) Click Play (the first time loading will take a while)
>>> In Options leave Resolution blank and Fullscreen OFF

To use, navigate to: your home directory/Wine Files/drive_c/Program Files/KingsIsle Entertainment/Wizard101

- right-click wizard101.exe and select Get Info. Change "Open with" to Wine in drop down window (if it isn't already)
- right-click wizard101.exe and select Create Alias. You can then drag this alias to your dock

* You may need to install a later version of X11 (XQuartz) as well. I had to install 2.4.0 on the Macbook. Get it here: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
After a bit of further testing (both of my kids played for a couple of hours last night) it appears to be working very well. At one point early on, we had a movement glitch where everything slowed and the characters moved in lurches on both the macbook and macbook pro. To fix, we exited Wizard101, Wine and X11. Then we ran the program again and had no more problems. Also, the water in the commons showed up pink and many building windows showed up red. The kids went to various places and worlds and sometimes it took a couple of minutes for Wizard101 to download the necessary data before they could enter (the spinning arrow thing showed up so you could see what was happening). The kids are overjoyed that they can now both play at the same time so no more arguing over who gets to play.

Survivor
May 29, 2009
Wy can't they just add it to mc I mean there like the game in the online game

Survivor
Aug 25, 2010
when i download wizard 101 is says stuff that i cant read like ;l^çl;è.^çè;^ç;.àè; so i need help so the intalls

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
I saw one of the press releases and KI said they are hiring additional staff.

Maybe they will be working on Wizard101 for the Mac. *hint* *hint*

Survivor
Jun 13, 2010
I think that you should make it for mac so that we can all play and actually get what we are paying for... and so that i dont have to get out of bed in the morning to play :P

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
All,

Wizard101 does work on a mac and very well, in fact, WITHOUT Windows. It must be an Intel Mac though, not PowerPC. Earlier in this thread I posted step-by-step instructions on how to do this for FREE using open source freeware called Wine. If you have questions please post them and I'll answer. It is not as daunting as it looks. I'm posting this under my son's account - I have been working with Macs since before Windows came out. If you don't want to try this FREE method, then just buy Crossover for $30 and it will do the same thing. In summary, Wizard101 does work on an Intel Mac pretty well.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2011
OMG mac I really want it on my mac. I have to wait until my dad comes home at like 9:00 and I get really angry when he says no. please mac

Survivor
Feb 12, 2011
Survivor
Jul 06, 2010
I too had an account for wiz 101 and wasted the money to suc=bscribe...i would love to subscribe again but i cant run wiz on my MAC and i no longer have a PC, well i have an old one that dosent have a video card high enough to support the graphics other than that i only have MAC i cant use PC cause i crash them with my profession too often....can someone please help me download this game to my MAC i really miss playing

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
Follow the instructions from my post on 2/16/2011 earlier in this thread. This is the FREE way. Or buy Crossover Games for $30. Either way allows you to play W101 on an Intel Mac.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
Can't comment on Crossover but using the steps outlined above to install Wine (Crossover is essentially Wine with a more automated setup), I'd say it's a 7 to 8 or so (very playable). I have Windows XP on my Mac as well as Parallels Desktop 6 and I typically just use Wine ( I kick my kids off of it every so often to check email). It's a pain to reboot back and forth from Windows/OS X and Wine is more responsive than Parallels.

Survivor
Oct 03, 2008
Stinks that I am going to have to quit because I am now a mac user. I really enjoy the game and wish I continue . Please make a download for mac without buying boot camp or crossover!

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
To play W101 on an Intel Mac without buying Crossover or Windows, just follow the instructions from my post on 2/16/2011 earlier in this thread. This method uses Wine, an open source program, which is FREE.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
I've always played on a Mac. I run windows through Bootcamp and it seems to run fine.