Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard 101 On Mac.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
why can't someone make up a way to down load W101 onto a mac without having to down load everything else and spending $200?
~Emma Dawnrider

Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
I installed it and the game starts up and goes to the wizard selection page....
BUT then I select my wizard and the buttons on the bottom of the screen appear for a few mili-seconds witch is not near enough time to click them. I also think a message appears for a few mili-seconds but that is not enough time to read it. Is there any way to fix this? :-(

Survivor
May 30, 2009
Explorer
May 04, 2009
You cannot get it on a MAC for certain reason... I'm not sure what they are. All I know is that you can't get it on MAC. Sorry to all the people who only have a MAC. If you want Wizard101, try a PC instead. Support from: *Tanner WillowRunner, Level45, Master Pyromancer. (I am not a KI Support employee, I'm just giving information.)

Survivor
Aug 19, 2008
timconinx wrote:
It's actually very easy for a company like KingIsle to port their game to mac: They just have to work with transgaming (www.transgaming.com) which is something like crossover games (see earlier in the thread) which in essence uses a technology called wine (windows emulator).

It does sound like making Mac compatible games is easier now than it did in the past. However, KingsIsle would have to:

- Pay Transgaming an unknown amount of $$$ to license the technology.
- Devote some development time to tweaking the existing Windows client to work with Transgaming's Cider wrapper thingy.
- Hire customer service staff that are fluent in Mac issues.
- Other stuff that I can't think of...

I hope KingsIsle looks into the costs/benefits and makes the right decision, since there are a growing number of Mac gamers!

Survivor
Aug 30, 2009
So whats the deal now for mac users? Bootcamp is lousy and needs software, crossover needs to be paid for after the trial, I'm certainly not putting any windows software again after my experience with them (which was not good.)

My niece loves this game and now since I upgraded to mac I can't play alongside her or help her with her account.

:( So lets here it... what else is there, that won't charge me or ruin my computer in the long run.

Survivor
Aug 01, 2009
if they made a mac clients would that mean that you would lose all your friends on the windows client?

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Ok so i am trying to download wizard101 on my mac but when i am trying to install it, it has a whole bunch of random letters and it says on the top that it cant play on a certain type of code (forgot code sorry) and now i am wondering if it is not avaliable for the mac so then i download windows xp and i try it again, but it still doesn't work. So then i try downloading boot camp so it could back up the information on my mac but yet again it doesn't work. So my answer is that it is only avaliable for windows or PC.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2009
To answer pipetomas:

Everything relating to your W101 account is stored on the W101 servers. So you do not need to worry about losing any friends, inventory, etc.

To Floydd:

KingsIsle does not need to license anything.

Xcode is the programming language used by Apple to develop OS X. It is freely available (because OS X is a derivative of Linux and BSD which are also freely available), so anyone can build applications on the Mac platform--just as they can for Linux.

In fact, many games that are developed for Linux will also run on the Mac for the same reason.

It just takes someone at KingsIsle setting aside the time to get set up with a Mac, install the Xcode development tools, and go to town. They have all the graphics they used for the Windows version, so they won't have to recreate those...this means a large percentage of the problem is already completed :-) Yea!

The problem may stem from the fact that KingsIsle may be using Microsoft development tools (...taking a moment while shuddering over that thought). This means that they will have to port their code from Visual Basic, C#, or something along those lines to Xcode. That could take some time. In fact, it may be quicker to just start from the ground up using Xcode. That would result in cleaner code.

So come on KingsIsle, what is preventing you from moving forward with this? Are you looking for an Xcode programmer? You already ported one of your mini-games to the iPhone and iPod Touch...you're already using some of the tools you need!

Wizard101 can run on a Mac with the use of a program called CrossOverGames, but we do not support Wizard101 on the Mac.

You can find more information about Wizard101 and CrossOverGames at http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4685

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Survivor
Oct 26, 2009
ProspectorZeke wrote:
Wizard101 can run on a Mac with the use of a program called CrossOverGames, but we do not support Wizard101 on the Mac.

You can find more information about Wizard101 and CrossOverGames at http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4685

I have seen this message a few times, but i think people are asking if there are any active plans to develop a "native" Mac version of the W101 client, and if so what is the timeline?

CrossoverGames will cost people $40 above and beyond any W101 fees (such as subscriptions, Crowns, etc.). It holds a "silver medal" ranking which means that it contains enough bugs to prevent it from running flawlessly, but is still playable.

If that same person is looking to play some of the 200+ other games supported to varying degrees with that solution, then it may be worth the investment. Until then, maybe not...?

What is preventing KI from developing a native app for the Mac, or even offering information beyond the message above?

Survivor
Mar 11, 2010
In order to download Wizard101 on a Mac, you will have to download windows to be able to download it. Mac has a weird setup, I wish it came with windows but sadly it doesn't. I have an Apple so I feel your pain, it drives me CRAZY.

Survivor
Jun 07, 2010
I'm able to run W101 on my new MacBook Pro 15 (with the Nvidia 330M GT card) in one of two ways:

1. Boot camp partition with Window7. It runs fairly well there at high resolutions, but the machine heats up really quickly - it will occasionally heat up so much the system freezes. I'd guess the Nvidia driver is not optimized for Windows7?

2. VMWare Fusion with a Windows7 machine installed. Again, it runs well in both windowed and unity mode, but has the strange problem of turning all of the buildings red in certain zones, e.g. Triton, Firecat, Cyclops, etc. Other zones such as the Commons look fine. Heat is also a problem here, but not quite as bad as when in Boot Camp mode.

Anyone else seen this "red buildings" problem on their system?

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
I am also a mac user and I would love to play on my mac!! and i hate the fact that I have to install windows!! the reason i switched to mac was not to deal with windows anymore!!

So the question is when is the mac version coming out?!

Survivor
Jul 03, 2010
i just got a mac laptop and i still have a windows computer i cant download wizard101 on it and i am sad because i have to play inside instead of sitting outside. i have tried downloading windows but my windows disc are 2002 and are to old to be able to download on to my mac and therefor i cant play wizards. please make this game for a mac. i also have a game called world of warcraft that is a online game an that has made a version for macs i might switch over to he game because i would like to play a game on this mac.

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
chrisbradley wrote:
You cannot get it on a MAC for certain reason... I'm not sure what they are. All I know is that you can't get it on MAC. Sorry to all the people who only have a MAC. If you want Wizard101, try a PC instead. Support from: *Tanner WillowRunner, Level45, Master Pyromancer. (I am not a KI Support employee, I'm just giving information.)

the reason it that mac uses a dos running system and pc uses exe to change the encryptcion it would cost them time and money because they would need to shut down the game then they need to unencrypt it then make it dos compadable and exe it would take weeks and that time wizards would be down it is just not worth it to them(i am a proud mac owner and this is my point)!

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
ok i have a computer and i log on it loads and then it goes in one part of my screen and its white.and it says wixard101 error report and i dont get a error message

Survivor
Oct 25, 2008
my friend went apple and got all new kinda o stuff or it he pulled it up and it crashed hiscomputer i wiped his hard drive clean and i removed the wizard101 files what he do every one of his friend got an account and it just real bad so he asked his parents to try again didn't work i trying to help what i do it really made him mad anyway plz get back as soon as you can sincerly,

WIZARD KEEGAN

p.s. uh i gonna buy a lap top soon what i need to buy for wizard101 also how much thx

p.s.s LIFE RULES WOOT WOOT

p.s.s.s i love wizard101

Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
YOU CAN RUN WINDOWS ON MAC, MAC??? I always used boot camp. But Boot Camp may be expensive nowadays. But it's worth it. You basically get a windows on the mac. And there is a great playing experience! :D :P

Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro 13" with a Windows XP Pro (SP3) partition accessible both through Boot Camp and through VMware Fusion. Wizard101 ran perfectly, of course, when booted straight into Windows via Boot Camp. It "blackscreened" when I tried to run it under VMware Fusion.

In searching and reading various old threads on the subject, I found people mentioning that it would run under CrossOver Games, but was glitchy and only rated "silver." So I visited CodeWeaver's site for CrossOver Games, and found it had been updated to "gold" status, meaning it runs pretty much as it would under Windows. (I did still turn off "Hardware Cursor.")

Yes, CrossOver Games costs $40. But it runs Wizard101 on a Mac without having to buy Windows (which costs $200). And since the cheapest Mac laptops are about a thousand bucks (compared to $300 for an el-cheapo PC laptop) maybe $40 isn't that big of a deal to people who buy Macs? :-D

I'm still waiting for all the world data to download again (to the MacOS X partition, this time!) and will then see whether everything is normal - but so far, it looks good!

Survivor
Aug 05, 2010
I would love to be able to play Wizards101 on my Mac. That is the only bad thing about Wizards101. I would love to see a launcher that is available on Mac. Even though I do have the Windows on my computer too, I would like it on Mac because then I don't have to reboot into Windows every time.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2010
I would run boot camp assistant but it said it would delete everything on my macbook and I cant back up my computer. Could Wizard101 make a version for mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Survivor
Sep 01, 2010
I can confirm that Fusion 3.1.1 on OS X 10.5.8 works with Win 7 64-bit. That's what I'm running. I have an nVidia graphics card on a MacBook Pro from mid-2009.

It does NOT work with Win XP, I get the familiar black screen with audio.

I haven't played much yet on the MacBook so can't say how stable it is yet, but it looks good so far.

Survivor
Sep 07, 2009
I have a brand new MacBook Pro. I bought the fastest model available. I installed Parallels and Windows 7. I downloaded Wizard101 and it works just fine except that the Mac appears to overheat and can only play Wizard for about 30 minutes. I don't have this problem with any other program, but I don't use any other program in Windows, so I haven't identified if it is a problem with Parallels, Windows, or Wizard.

The end result is the same though. Even after spending hundreds of dollars, I am unable to play Wizard on my Mac and I'm tired of my World of Warcraft buddies making fun of Wizard for this reason and they are right.

Time for a Mac version instead of all these workarounds that don't seem to work for many of us.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
I am really mad at the moment. My SECOND windows laptop won't connect to wizard101 or the internet! I have a mac desktop computer and it would be so much EASIER if you made it for MAC! We have tried boot camp it has not worked. Crossovergames is stupid cause you can't text chat anything to your friends which is pointless! You can't interact which is what the game is all about! You are losing players cause everybody is buying a MAC cause they are WAY better than windows! You'll lose tons of players! Celestia came out in the live today and I can't play it! :-(! MAKE IT FOR MAC OR I WILL BE FORCED TO QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!