Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard 101 On Mac.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 04, 2008
OK I read the thread about how to get Wizard 101 on a Mac, but when you click the "Install" for the game it says you need to download Window Installer 2.0 I downloaded, then it says I need to download files for Installer to work. What files though? Some download, then others have this page of things to read no download, and one said this download has been moved, then it takes me to where it is but I can't find it. Can someone help?

Survivor
Jul 15, 2008
Wait, there's a way to get wizard101 on a mac?
Does that require bootcamp or something, though? I would love to run wizard101 on my mac...but I'm not too excited about running windows on it, too, since I would only really use windows for wizard101.

Survivor
Sep 17, 2008
Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
I have Boot Camp and Windows Vista downloaded onto my iMac, but I haven't using Boot Camp before and I'm unsure of what exactly to do in order to download Wizard 101.

Someone please help!
):

I've been playing on my mom's PC (with no sound) and the screen is tiny and it's been killing me!

Survivor
Sep 17, 2008
hawn89 wrote:
Wait, there's a way to get wizard101 on a mac?
Does that require bootcamp or something, though? I would love to run wizard101 on my mac...but I'm not too excited about running windows on it, too, since I would only really use windows for wizard101.

Yah. I use this PC for games that I think only work on mac.
But now one of them works on mac and wizard 101 is too. I think... ?

-Taylor Swift BAM

Survivor
Oct 28, 2008
Ok, got a new Macbook for Christmas and want to play Wizard101. Is this possible? All I see is information for running it in Windows.

Administrator
Wizard101 runs on a Windows enabled computer. To enable Windows on your mac, visit apple.com and follow their instructions. Link below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Nov 05, 2008
i am a windows person my self but am glad to hear that mac uses can now play to, this game is to good to be jut for us window users enjoy the game it is great

Survivor
May 02, 2009
please make it for mac.It costs 200 dollars to set up windows on your mac computer!

Survivor
May 21, 2009
coldrider537 wrote:
I want to play now. I have a account I just can't get.
how do you get on

Survivor
May 23, 2009
I've been partially successful at getting Wizard101 to run under CrossOver. CrossOver emulates Windows environment, so you don't need a copy of Windows and you can run in a Virtual Window within MAC.

One key gotcha is that you will need to disable Hardware Cursor in the option settings otherwise you won't see the cursor 'wand'.

You can download and learn more about CrossOver at:
www.codeweavers.com

Best Success!

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
CoronaLime wrote:
I've been partially successful at getting Wizard101 to run under CrossOver. CrossOver emulates Windows environment, so you don't need a copy of Windows and you can run in a Virtual Window within MAC.

One key gotcha is that you will need to disable Hardware Cursor in the option settings otherwise you won't see the cursor 'wand'.

You can download and learn more about CrossOver at:
www.codeweavers.com

Best Success!

Sadly, i downloaded this onto my mac and disabled hardware cursor and stuff, but there it still an error and it has to close. I don't want to install windows onto my mac because my old windows computer has so many viruses and it's too slow. I payed a lot of money for my mac and i want to play wizard 101 on it. There will be a lot more players if you made this game for mac. Please make it for MAC! I have to use my old PC but that computer stinks, so therefore i have a bad playing experience, and now i can't even get into the game. Please make it for Mac, it will be a good deed. I like the game, and i want to play it on a good computer. Please, Administration, take this post under consideration.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
Wizard101 runs on a Windows enabled computer. To enable Windows on your mac, visit apple.com and follow their instructions. Link below.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/11889.html

How do you make a game for Mac anyway?

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
elirocks2224 wrote:
please make it for mac.It costs 200 dollars to set up windows on your mac computer!

Ouch, really? I'll have to keep that in mind then because I have an HP at the moment and it sort of fell apart on me so I was thinking that if the store I bought it at gives me credit, I might look into saving up for a Mac but if it's going to be like $200 more for the Mac adn $200 more for Windows...geez, I'm just a broke college kid with a summer job.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
I can't use BootCamp on my Mac because of full disk encryption. I tried various virtualization products: VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, VirtualBox, and CrossOver Games.

The only one that was able to run the game is CrossOver Game (which happens not to require a copy of Windows to work) but it had tons of graphical glitches and even launching the game is hit-or-miss.

I really wish KingsIsle will work on a Mac client soon and leverage the community for the testing. Blizzard has a Mac native World of Warcraft client and I think that's how all MMORPGs should do it. More so even for MMORPGs that target kids.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2009
Yes please make it for Mac! I love this game but I can no longer play it without my Windows computer, and with only a Mac half of a month of membership is going to waste and I am sad. No matter how long it takes it will bring in a lot more players and make me and many others happy!

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
McWizard wrote:
OK I read the thread about how to get Wizard 101 on a Mac, but when you click the "Install" for the game it says you need to download Window Installer 2.0 I downloaded, then it says I need to download files for Installer to work. What files though? Some download, then others have this page of things to read no download, and one said this download has been moved, then it takes me to where it is but I can't find it. Can someone help?
At Targets they have CD's you can buy for$30 and it installs windows on your mac. Then just download and play!
Thats what I do. 8)
-JediRex

Survivor
Dec 05, 2008
Survivor
Aug 24, 2009
Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
Even though I have a Windows computer and play Wizard 101, I wanted to see it on a mac. I installed it on Windows on my Mac and the program barely started, but when it did, my character was half invisible! I don't mind since I have Wizard 101 working on another computer.I just wanted to let you know.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
i have a mac and a windows. but i am stuck in bed with a mac and a DS with one game to last 3 days.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2009
It's actually very easy for a company like KingIsle to port their game to mac: They just have to work with transgaming (www.transgaming.com) which is something like crossover games (see earlier in the thread) which in essence uses a technology called wine (windows emulator).

The difference is they have to make their code compile with Cider (get it ? apple + wine) which will result in a (more or less) native mac application which is exactly the same as the windows version.

MMO's like EVE Online and Warhammer Online did the same thing, and both of those games now have a very loyal mac crowd which won't leave for any other game (that doesn't run on mac).

Macboys are fanboys, and I'm one of them. Heck, I'd pay for a second account just to support KingIsle if they would stop force me to reboot my mac into windoze just to play this fantastic game ! And I'm sure I wouldn't be only one.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2009
A heads-up for people who don't like to be forced to reboot their mac into windows when they want to play:

Using Crossover Games (www.codeweavers.com) the game works nearly perfect in macosx. There should only be a little glitch with unreadable chatbubbles.

There could be a problem when your mac has an Nvidia card (was a problem for me), but at least with an Ati mac things go very smooth.

Now, if Kingisle would just take the small effort of providing a separate client based on this (like I explained before), they could be taking advantage of having a completely new market segment.

And no, "buy a windows copy, reboot your mac when you want to play" is not customer friendly :(

Survivor
Nov 03, 2009
I have an older mac, which doesn't support BootCamp. I'd really like to be able to play on my own computer, instead of using my aunt's. Is it really that hard to create a Mac client?