Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Enemys and the BALANCE card weakness.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 25, 2008
I have noticed almost EVERY single enemy in krokotopia and up uses the balance card ''weakness'' why should enemys/bosses use it and there not even balance.i know some that use it 2 times in a row.I have asked friends and they have agreed this needs to be fixed.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I have always agreed.

I think it is appalling that KI feels the need to cheat by handing out to the majority of the monsters a card that is essentially a weak tower shield. They need to go back and eliminate it from the base common monsters and drastically reduce the number from the elites and bosses.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Wizards are smarter normally sooooooo we have to give the enemies a somewhat chance. Besides This happens in kt a lot then a bit in mb and ms and then a lot in Ds again. so its ok xD

Survivor
May 31, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:

I think it is appalling that KI feels the need to cheat by handing out to the majority of the monsters a card that is essentially a weak tower shield. They need to go back and eliminate it from the base common monsters and drastically reduce the number from the elites and bosses.

I dissagree, I think it is fine, and you can just use your staff move to take it off. OR just over kill

Survivor
Apr 28, 2010
Yep. Once you get past Unicorn Way, it seems like nearly every mob has the following cards, no matter what the mob is:

- Fire Elf, or its Ice or Storm mutations, which mobs usually cast right after you use a shield. Really, REALLY annoying. I wish Ice and Storm players could get the mutated versions as part of our regular schools.

- A shield spell against the opposite school, such as Ice mobs casting Fire shields. This makes same-school fights (i.e. Ice vs. Ice) far more difficult than they should be, because Prisms become nearly useless. This especially hurts Ice wizards, because our damage output is so low to start with.

- Weakness. IMHO, the only mobs that should be casting Weakness are Balance bosses, period.

- At least one "big gun" Storm spell, like Storm Shark. Don't even get me started.

- When you get into the middle game, around Adept level or so, you start running into a lot of Tower Shields and Spirit Shields.

I have also noticed that many mobs' basic attacks and common spells don't match their school. To use an example from the early game, the "Balance" golems in Golem Tower have Life-based staff attacks, and their most common spell to cast is Fire Cat. In Marleybone, the O'Leary Scurriers are supposedly Ice mobs, and Ice resistant, but their knife attacks are Fire. These mismatches are common throughout the game, and REALLY annoying from the perspective of players trying to plan for battles. I have been through plenty of battles where mobs never used a single spell from their own school. IMHO, these kind of tactics by mobs really cheapen the game. This is an area where Wizard101 could really improve.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2009
I don't see a problem with most spells being usable by monsters this way. The only ones I have a problem with are the school specific ones that are gotten from quests (not available to everyone).

For example I've run into many monsters that use heckhound on me even though they aren't FIRE. Since heckhound is ONLY availble to fire wizards (through a quest) I find that anoyingly weird.

As for the other stuff, it actually makes sense. My MYTH wizard knows a multitude of non-myth spells including but not limited to... Tower Shield(ice), Satyr(life), Weakness(balance), and Sap Power(storm). Would also mention the fact that I use a Storm wand.

My point is, that if our characters can be so diverse that their is nothing wrong with monsters commonly using a spell that would only costs 4 training points to anyway.

Also... while it sometimes seems strange when a monsters natural attack is different than their school, it actually weakens monsters later on. When a big boss monster uses a natural attack that drains all their pips you don't realy want it to stack with their blades and traps. ouch

As for the sense of 'reality' or whatever though, it can be very weird when an ice mander uses a fire attack or something, but as a myth wizard using a storm wand and casting a variety of spells - I can't realy say much about that. lol

Anyway... just adding my 2 cents.

Survivor
Apr 28, 2010
Exactly. Mobs shouldn't be casting school-specific spells unless they are of that school. And IMHO, their basic attacks should match their school as well.

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
I am fine for the most part about the weakness cards and stuff like that (even if it is a bit excessive). But the annoying things to me are the "stolen" cards as I call them, such as ice shark, fire bats, ice kraken etc. all of the ripped off storm cards being added to your enemy's aresnal so they can do even more damage than they should. Just adding my only negative opinion concerning enemies and their cards.
Compare: Evil Snowman: 240-300 (3 pips)
Ice Shark: 375-435 (3 pips)
Firezilla (although now students have this too): 650-730 (5 pips)
Phoenix: 515-595 (5 pips)

Survivor
May 31, 2009
I still disagree. Weakness is a horrible spell, and easy to get rid of. Plus since i am in DS (Dragon Spyre) the bosses do KNOW a different type of normal attack than there element . I LOVE IT. They waste six pips or so and only do a for pip move 8) :-o . Just saying, NortyFiner, you might be complaining a little TO much.

----- Hunter LegendBlade Lvl 48 Master of Death