Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

People jumping into battles---

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
I posted this request the other day In Ravenwood Commons, evidently it was the wrong forum for this request, so I am reposting it here---sorry.

----------------I have a request for the makers for Wizard101.-------------------
Would you please develop an option to allow or disallow other players from jumping into your battles. I am sure there are a lot of players besides me that are tired of having other players just jump into their battles (thinking they're helping-not to mention experience stealers that just stand there and do nothing). I have had many instances where I am about to die or am struggling and someone(sometimes more than one) just jumps in causing me to die because they've dragged more monsters into the battle.
I generally battle solo and my wizards and/or decks are not set up to help other players. Battle joiners make a successful outcome near impossible.
An option to allow players to deny entrance into the battle would greatly help. I am not opposed to others joining me, but as most do not have the common courtesy to ask you first, this idea would be of great help. We have the option to turn off friend and group requests, so a battle request option is not unreasonable.

A side note to those that do ask before jumping in- Thank You for your courtesy and consideration.

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
The only feasible way to do that would be if Kings Isle produced a stand alone game that you could play wizard101 without being online.
That would be interesting to put the game on other platform and other OS's but the question is whether KI deems it viable AND profitable. No one out of school gets out of bed for nothing :)
It used to irritate me that when I cast the last spell someone jumps in and here comes another critter and I am near death.
Now I just rise to the occasion and focus on healing while the new person gets to kill what they brought in.
Which is another reason I love this game. I saw an old ad from the eighties in a computer magazine. One side said this opponent wants to challenge you (showing a cpu) and the other side said this opponent wants to tear you apart (showing a picture of a person).
Given that, the question is can you rise above the challenge that another person brings to the game or are you content just to be challenged by the cpu? And quite honestly soloing is easy, its when you got a person that does more damage to you by throwing your traps with wand attacks and casting global spells that actually help the enemy and other things that make you wonder exactly which side are they on. And then the reward is walking away wondering how you actually walked away. When you can go through that and go through it with a smile, you have just built true character

Survivor
Apr 06, 2009
Sabrefangs wrote:
I posted this request the other day In Ravenwood Commons, evidently it was the wrong forum for this request, so I am reposting it here---sorry.

----------------I have a request for the makers for Wizard101.-------------------
Would you please develop an option to allow or disallow other players from jumping into your battles. I am sure there are a lot of players besides me that are tired of having other players just jump into their battles (thinking they're helping-not to mention experience stealers that just stand there and do nothing). I have had many instances where I am about to die or am struggling and someone(sometimes more than one) just jumps in causing me to die because they've dragged more monsters into the battle.
I generally battle solo and my wizards and/or decks are not set up to help other players. Battle joiners make a successful outcome near impossible.
An option to allow players to deny entrance into the battle would greatly help. I am not opposed to others joining me, but as most do not have the common courtesy to ask you first, this idea would be of great help. We have the option to turn off friend and group requests, so a battle request option is not unreasonable.

A side note to those that do ask before jumping in- Thank You for your courtesy and consideration.

i agree with you to a certain extent.i do agree that there needs to be an option to where you can choose whether or not you want some one to join in your battle.but what i dont agree on is that doing battles with out someone helping you can be less successful then doing them solo.i do understand that there are players out there who are in it just for them selves and dont know how to work as a team.i do see where your coming from because i do every quest by my self and i do every boss fight by my self.but if i cant complete it in like 5 tries thats when i ask for help.but one thing that you do need to realize is that they dont kno how low your health is when they jump in but what they can do is help you out to the best of their ability.

level 50 fire grand master, with 5 others on the way
-megan-
p.s. please dont take any offense to this just my opinion

Survivor
Apr 30, 2010
seriously there is team people and solo people. its obvious your a solo person but you still need to learn how to fight with a team. seriously you expect to beat malistaire by just challenging him by yourself?

Hero
May 27, 2009
The only way to raise your chances that you will be able to stay solo is to find a Perfect realm and do your adventuring there. If you fight in Crowded realms, then you are almost inviting people to join you. After all, Diego advises us early on to help each other in battles. He doesn't remind people to ASK if the guy in the battle needs help. I wish there was a way ( like in Toontown) to click on the player in the battle and see what their health/mana stats are, to see quickly if they are close to defeat or not before joining.

Defender
Dec 14, 2009
Willowdreamer wrote:
The only way to raise your chances that you will be able to stay solo is to find a Perfect realm and do your adventuring there. If you fight in Crowded realms, then you are almost inviting people to join you. After all, Diego advises us early on to help each other in battles. He doesn't remind people to ASK if the guy in the battle needs help. I wish there was a way ( like in Toontown) to click on the player in the battle and see what their health/mana stats are, to see quickly if they are close to defeat or not before joining.

Hello Willow Dreamer,

I agree. I think it would be very helpful to be able to see what is going on in the battle when standing outside. This would also be a GREAT addition, when viewing PVP battles from the sidelines!

GREAT IDEA!

As a side note, it would also be nice if the players in a battle had some way to "signal" that they would like help. Some button that they could click that would change their character in some way to indicate that they would appreciate help. A simple toggle of some sort.

Perhaps it would add a little "help me" type icon above your head. So passers by would know that you are interested in getting some help with your battle. A helping-hand, or handshake icon?

Perhaps it would even go as far as showing some sort of "help this person" indicator on screens of nearby wizards.

Oh look! Suzie needs help over there! Let's go run and help her out!

I think that would be cool. I know there are lots of times when I'm just in the mood to help others out and I would totally like running around and jumping into battles to help others, if I had some very basic way of knowing who wanted the help and who didn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 ICE (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 25 LIF (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 17 BAL (Journeyman Sorcerer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 15 DTH (Initiate Necromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 13 STM (Initiate Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 12 FIR (Initiate Pyromancer)

Hero
May 27, 2009
Hello yourself - great ideas! I would love to see something along those lines.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
clubpenguindude77 wrote:
seriously there is team people and solo people. its obvious your a solo person but you still need to learn how to fight with a team. seriously you expect to beat malistaire by just challenging him by yourself?

When I want or need help, I get a group or ask for help. The WHOLE POINT to my original post is that I am sick and tired of people just randomly jumping into my battles and screwing me up. Why should I set my decks up to help others and waste half my deck if I do not want or need to. If that was the point, then every wizard should be a Life wizard. I can choose to not accept friend requests and group invites- I am asking to include the same option to keep rude,discourteous and unthinking players from jumping into my game and messing me up all the time. It happened to me twice this morning in Krokatopia, I had killed 1 monster and just about to kill the other when someone took it upon themselves to hop right on in, forcing me to fight another one when I didn't have to-I'm sick of it!!!!!!!!!\

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Sabrefangs wrote:
clubpenguindude77 wrote:

When I want or need help, I get a group or ask for help. The WHOLE POINT to my original post is that I am sick and tired of people just randomly jumping into my battles and screwing me up. Why should I set my decks up to help others and waste half my deck if I do not want or need to. If that was the point, then every wizard should be a Life wizard. I can choose to not accept friend requests and group invites- I am asking to include the same option to keep rude,discourteous and unthinking players from jumping into my game and messing me up all the time. It happened to me twice this morning in Krokatopia, I had killed 1 monster and just about to kill the other when someone took it upon themselves to hop right on in, forcing me to fight another one when I didn't have to-I'm sick of it!!!!!!!!!\

Wow. Chill out. I think Prof. Greyrose needs to put you in a cold shower...lol

Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
Sabrefangs wrote:

I think that would be a great addition. I was taking on a boss the other day. I had hired a henchmen and the boss was down to almost no life and someone jumped in and then said you don't mind do you? They did nothing but stand there and take exp and whatever drop they got. It's infuriating when they do that. To add an option for this would not make it a stand alone game or one that you would have to play offline as someone mentioned above. Just a simple feature along the lines of * such and such * request to join your battle, do you accept? Y/N This would cut down a lot of in game animosity and frustration.

Suri Rain

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
I kind of agree, i fight solo and when i need help, as a team. I agree with this and should be something asking if you want them to join battle.

one time, i was in mooshu in kishibe village and i got almost done and i was low on health and then SOMEONE JOINED MY BATTLE and got her friends in the battle, i almost died and i told them i gtg and had to do it quick, then they all got into my face and was like "oh ya, i can own you noob". she said that she was "pulled in" but i saw that she was way on the side and decided to join in.

A good thing to do is ask to join, i ask to join and when they say yes, i join in, if hey say no, i stay out of it

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
Dude seriousily chill out.

Its not like its a crime to join other peoples battles.

Here's an example- Lets say I needed to defeat two more Rotting Fodders in Triton avenue. Well since I didnt wanna do two seperate battles and I joined another one just to save some extra time.

I mean seriousilly whats wrong with that?

Defender
May 29, 2009
It would be better a LOT if you soloed the game. No realms, no one jumping into battles like you said, no mean words, no one scamming or begging, LOT better. You could fill up the areas with walking NPC's, even battle with NPC's. THEY would do something. Like for example, battling the Harvest Lord, Susie Gryphonbane would say, do you want some help and where 'Accept' and 'Decline' should be are 'Yes' and 'No'. Or in your control panels it could have an option for NPC help. They could roam the streets, too. If only you could solo the game... :|

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Sabrefangs wrote:
clubpenguindude77 wrote:

This is an MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). Note it says Multiplayer. Even Diego tells you to jump on in and help. I agree that sometimes they are NOT helping, but that is the nature of the game. As a soloist myself, all I do to prevent (or at least minimize) the chances of someone else hopping in my fights is to switch to a Perfect realm. I suggest you do the same.

Survivor
May 22, 2008
Maybe I'm not remembering this right, but wasn't there a way to lock anybody but friends out of fights? It'd put like a lock image on your fight, and make it so no one could join even if they walked into it.

It might of been removed, or maybe I'm not thinking of the right game. Who knows for sure?

Administrator
Restricted wrote:
Maybe I'm not remembering this right, but wasn't there a way to lock anybody but friends out of fights? It'd put like a lock image on your fight, and make it so no one could join even if they walked into it.

It might of been removed, or maybe I'm not thinking of the right game. Who knows for sure?

I think you may be referring to Grouping.

Grouping helps players stay together when battling or travelling to a new area. When you join a battle, there will be spots reserved for your other group members if they are travelling with you in the same area. They will be asked if they want to join your combat. If so, they will be teleported to your battle.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
Well-from what I've read in here and in my original post on the other forum, the majority of the replies are in favor of this options being incorporated.

Any chance of it becoming reality?

Explorer
Feb 26, 2009
Yea, I faced a similar problem, though the joiners had more evil intentions (Ok, evil is a bit much, but not so nice works) When I started the game (and until I was halfway through dragonspyre X_X) I was a mute, and I guess people with text chat and such had this cruel "Game" They would play, by jumping into my battles, waiting for another monster to join, then leave, some of them would even switch to menu chat and say "LOL" Or "HAHA" Before leaving, because of this I would die quite often, and yet when I screamed for help, nobody joined, as soon as I had text chat, the game stopped, and still today I notice some people doing it to mutes, I really hate how abused they are, and hopefully at some point KI will make an effort to stop the mute abuse.

Fiona Starcatcher, Grandmaster Necromancer.
And Jessie the Wraith.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
I am new to the game, but not new to gaming in general. I have been playing such things since before personal computers existed. That old....

Since I have been playing I have wanted an option to lock a battle. This has nothing to do with soloing, teaming or anything. I usually team. It has to do with the strategic nature of the game. I love to set up traps and blades, etc. Takes longer and all, but I enjoy it. So there I am maybe having set up something over a few rounds to one shot one or all of the mobs. Someone jumps in and wands the mob. Maybe it is an element wand and it uses the trap and the feint I have set. I did not need help. I was not asking for help.

I also don't think the fix would be hard since it seems like I can cast minions that take a slot. So if I am solo or grouped with others why not have a pre-battle option that let's me lock the fight. As soon as I/we engage this option effectively casts "fake minions" on the remaining spots, which could be over ridden by actual minions.

This option could not be turned on or off in battle, so having turned it on you are then really on your own and can receive no help. This option should also not work for public bosses like the Kraken or Minotaur since someone could then monopolize those at the expense of others. In the streets in general it does not seem there is any shortage of desired mobs, at least on non-full servers.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
Put me on the list of people who disagree with the original idea. It would ruin the game, not only for me, but for many people.

Adding yet another option to satisfy those few who only want to solo is, to me, not a good expenditure of time.

There are times when I do not want to be bothered. Perhaps I only have a certain amount of time to play, or am just in a rotten mood. I choose a Perfect realm, and go there. That alone usually ensures I won't be bothered. However, if someone does jump in (and I had this happen yesterday, in a tower of all places - he joined me on the sigil 1 second before I entered, not giving me a chance to leave), I see if they contribute. If they don't, and the monster they brought with them attacks them? I back away, and let nature take its course, so to speak. I load up on blades for myself, shields for myself, etc. that person yesterday? He stood by for 4 turns without joining in. I finally said that I would fill the remaining spots with henchmen next round. I started to, he joined in. He did nothing. However, he cast one spell on one monster, and then backed off. The henchmen (and myself) concentrated on the monster that had the most hit points. This other person ended up dying, and though I had heal cards, the fact that they did nothing frustrated me, so I didn't heal. He kept saying he had no mana.

If I'm in a Full or Normal realm, if I need a monster someone is attacking, I will often times jump in. However, because I do jump in, I either ensure that person does not die (or heal them if they do), and/or hire a henchman to help.

I've run into a few who join, and then leave when a third monster joins in. To me, while it's rude of them to do so, I don't know why they did it. I know there are many kids who play this game, and I, myself, would often tell my son it's time to get off the computer, and he would flee, and log off. To not do so meant being grounded, losing privileges. So who I am to say whether someone who joined and then fled didn't have to go.

On another occassion, I joined a battle in progress. My son fell down the stairs. I didn't leave the battle, my first priority was my son. Had I died, no biggie, I had something more important to deal with. Once I settled my son, I apologized to the person, explained what happened, and they appeared fine iwth it.

So please Wizard101, don't add this. It would get abused in huge ways. Often there are monsters we need to defeat, that aren't in towers/buildings. It would take some rude people to monopolize that monster, making it difficult for those of us who play nice to complete the quest.

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
f1ng3br1ts0n wrote:
The only feasible way to do that would be if Kings Isle produced a stand alone game that you could play wizard101 without being online.
That would be interesting to put the game on other platform and other OS's but the question is whether KI deems it viable AND profitable. No one out of school gets out of bed for nothing :)
It used to irritate me that when I cast the last spell someone jumps in and here comes another critter and I am near death.
Now I just rise to the occasion and focus on healing while the new person gets to kill what they brought in.
Which is another reason I love this game. I saw an old ad from the eighties in a computer magazine. One side said this opponent wants to challenge you (showing a cpu) and the other side said this opponent wants to tear you apart (showing a picture of a person).
Given that, the question is can you rise above the challenge that another person brings to the game or are you content just to be challenged by the cpu? And quite honestly soloing is easy, its when you got a person that does more damage to you by throwing your traps with wand attacks and casting global spells that actually help the enemy and other things that make you wonder exactly which side are they on. And then the reward is walking away wondering how you actually walked away. When you can go through that and go through it with a smile, you have just built true character

wow, i was so mad when some STORM wiz joined and used WYLDFIRE (increases damage for FIRE spells) and the opponents were FIRE. i was like woooooooooow.

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
Sabrefangs wrote:
clubpenguindude77 wrote:

When I want or need help, I get a group or ask for help. The WHOLE POINT to my original post is that I am sick and tired of people just randomly jumping into my battles and screwing me up. Why should I set my decks up to help others and waste half my deck if I do not want or need to. If that was the point, then every wizard should be a Life wizard. I can choose to not accept friend requests and group invites- I am asking to include the same option to keep rude,discourteous and unthinking players from jumping into my game and messing me up all the time. It happened to me twice this morning in Krokatopia, I had killed 1 monster and just about to kill the other when someone took it upon themselves to hop right on in, forcing me to fight another one when I didn't have to-I'm sick of it!!!!!!!!!
\

that reminds me of one time in dragonspyre, i was close to death and about to kill, then some random lvl 8 joined the battle, saw my health, made another one join, then FLED!! i was so mad that i laughed lol. but anyway, i just go to perfect realms to avoid people and ask my friends when i need help.

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
camowiz wrote:
Yea, I faced a similar problem, though the joiners had more evil intentions (Ok, evil is a bit much, but not so nice works) When I started the game (and until I was halfway through dragonspyre X_X) I was a mute, and I guess people with text chat and such had this cruel "Game" They would play, by jumping into my battles, waiting for another monster to join, then leave, some of them would even switch to menu chat and say "LOL" Or "HAHA" Before leaving, because of this I would die quite often, and yet when I screamed for help, nobody joined, as soon as I had text chat, the game stopped, and still today I notice some people doing it to mutes, I really hate how abused they are, and hopefully at some point KI will make an effort to stop the mute abuse.

Fiona Starcatcher, Grandmaster Necromancer.
And Jessie the Wraith.

dude, i am so sorry, but that was quite funny when i first read it. but i agree, i dont like when i see that happen either. if it does happen, i just jump in to help the menu chat person :)

Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
Any type of roleplaying game you run into this problem. If you don't like it, don't play it until such time that they do implement features to lock people out of battles. I solo when I have to if none of my friends are on, otherwise there's a group of us that team up to work on quests as it's much funner this way. Here's a tip - if you are having issues with a certain person continously jumping into your battle...CHANGE REALMS! My friends and I do this all the time if there is one person who is practically stalking us because they don't want to do it on their own (I have noticed a lot of the people that do just jump into battles are the ones under the age of 13). All games have their issues with players. I'd MUCH rather prefer to play on here compared to World of Warcraft just because people are much more helpful on here plus the talk that happens on WoW cannot possibly happen on here due to the filters put in place. If you want to play a game where you can solo and not worry about other people affecting your battles, go play WoW.

BTW, I'm one of those that DO ask before joining just because it's considerate and respectful, but then again I was raised that way. Not all people in this world have manners, and you have to remember, there are a TON of children playing on this game who might not realize internet etiquette! Or there's also a group of people who are very helpful and sit there and help people out. I have a wizard that does not have healing capabilities outside of self-healing, but that doesn't make me freak out on people who do join in thinking they are going to help.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2009
I think a lot of you are missing the point. I have had a lot of people lately jumping into my battles and then not battling at all. Whether you are close to being defeated or not this is annoying. I have no objections to a person comming into a battle with me if they are going to try and defeat the monster or boss but if they are just going to stand there and pass or they and their friends are not going to help me in any way then just stay out of my way. Don't get me wrong, I don't even mind if you just want to jump in to gain the experience or money or drops, but even if that is all you want what is wrong when you see the other player is in trouble because of your actions then at least help them out don't just kill the monster and let them have to start all over because you couldn't spare a healing spell for them. I always keep a treasure card or two available to heal my battle partners even the ones that I didn't plan on. So quit doggin the guy for expressing his opinion, expecially when most of you have had the same thing happen to you. The only thing I can figure out is that the ones jumping all over him are guilty of this all for me type of play. :x

Lauren Nightflower Level 50 Grandmaster Sorcerer
Lauren Nightblossom Level 25 Adept Sorcerer
Lauren Thundercloud Level 17 Journeyman Diviner
Rachel Jadesinger Level 6 Apprentice Pyromancer
Colin Deathfriend Level 3 Novice Conjurer
Lauren SoulCaller Level 1 Novice Necromancer