Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The best combo? Or not?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 28, 2009
I plan to make a Myth wizard who is going to be mostly a PVP player. I was wondering if any of you knew a good combo of spells from other schools?
Here are my ideas: Up to Tower Shield in Ice (5 points)
Up to Weakness in Balance (3 points)
Up to Feint in Death (7 points)
Spirit Blade and Spirit Trap (2 points)
According to my calculations, those are all the points you get. Is this a good combination, or does it need to change?

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
Umrag wrote:
I plan to make a Myth wizard who is going to be mostly a PVP player. I was wondering if any of you knew a good combo of spells from other schools?
According to my calculations, those are all the points you get. Is this a good combination, or does it need to change?

Thats quite good but if i was a myth wizard here is what i would do.

Up to Tower Shield in Ice. (5 points)
Up to Feint in Death. (7 points)
Spirit Blade. (1 point, don't bother getting spirit trap, no one traps in pvp)
And that should leave you with 4 points to spare. Invest those in life and when the Celestia update comes out which will most likely bring an extra 3 training points, you'll be bale to get satyr which will be great in 1v1. If you plan on doing group matches with life then go with your plan but where spirit trap is, get infection and use a talisman of disorder amulet.

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
Someone will have to explain to me why you would take feint as a myth wizard unless there is just nothing else you want to spend points on.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
You don't take feint as a myth wizard, assuming you make it to 50, orthus will use the feint for his first attack leaving the his second attack (the one that does good damage unmodified).

In my opinion, you play an outlast strategy, get a cyclops minion out, make sure it lives and you're shielding correctly. Then drop the earthquake/orthus bomb, and eventually they'll die. My suggestion for points would be as follows:

Ice to Tower (5)
Life to Satyr (7)
Balance to Weakness (3)
Reshuffle (1)

and then...
Spirit Blade (1)
Spirit Trap (1)

or Fire to Fire Elf (2)

Since earthquake strips people of their buffs, debuffs like infection and traps have a somewhat limited effectiveness.

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
Umrag wrote:

I have re-examined this, and decided to do this:
Up to Tower Shield in Ice (5 points)
Up to Vampire in Death (4 points)
Reshuffle (1 point)
Infection (1 point)
Storm Shield (1 point)

Reasoning: Tower Shield is a very good investment in PVP, seeing as it protects from everything. The same thing goes for Weakness. Vampire is simply a good healing card, because it does damage and heals. Spirit Blade and Trap help with my attack and with my drains. Reshuffle is a key card in PVP, even for the big deck people. Infection will help for me to be able to finish the opponent off, if the Earthquake/Orturus combo doesn't kill them. Seeing as there is a lot of bolters, Storm shield will certainly be useful.

[General Deck Construction]
I will have 2-3 golem minion cards, and probably 4 Cyclops cards. I will have 3 buff minion cards, and 3 shield minion cards. Next, I will have 2 reshuffles, and 3 Tower Shields. My other defensive cards will be 3 weaknesses and 2 storm shields. I will carry 3 infections around as well. Then I will have 2 ghouls, and 3 Vampires. I will also have 4-5 myth traps and myth blades, and maybe 2 myth bubbles. I will carry 2 spirit blades and spirit traps, and then 5 of earthquake and orturus. That makes 57 cards. The rest will by Pixie. What do you guys think?

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010

Seems like an improvement from your first post. There are a few things I would personally change, but everyone's different. The only pet I would use is cyclops, and I wouldn't have any buff minion cards it's a wasted turn to buff your minion damage in comparison with buffing yourself or shielding (instead, try Time of Legend, as both you and your pet receive this damage boost). I wouldn't train storm shield, you already have towers and the storm/fire shield you get in ice as a result of tower. I would put more shield minion cards in there, I would also add weaknesses, stuns, pierces, and cleanses. The pierces mess up the treasure tower users, the cleanses mess up feint/hex for balance and any other school that goes to feint and you use your stun after your first orthus/earthquake to stall for more pips to finish. A good kill strat would be... wait until you have 2 spirit blades + 2 Myth blades, 12-13 pips, and your opponent isn't 2 myth/tower shields deep, then you orthus, after orthus you stun, then you orthus again, at that point they'll be low, and your stun just bought you an extra turn to gain pips for some sort of finisher. Take the death stuff out of your deck, it's a massive waste of pips. I prefer using pips to heal rather than cast out of school damage. At level 50 most of your pips are power pips, if you compare, you use up to 8 myth pips for a 4 pip death spell that goes relatively buff-less (only spiritblade/trap will buff it from your own spells). I'd rather orthus, even without traps and blades, any damage is pressure and pressure makes your opponent heal and play defense giving you more room to set things up.

On a side note, death is good because of the massive amount of buffs it can put up for damage when it's your main school, otherwise the damage is relatively low for its spells. 4 out of school pips for 350 damage (more likely 240 or lower in arena) to heal for 175 (120 in arena). Or just a flat 4 out of school pips for 860 healing in the life school (in my opinion is much better).

On another side note, pressure is why wild bolters do so well, a first turn wild bolt puts the opponent so far behind it's nearly impossible to catch up, other than the first turn, the lightning/fire shield should be the first shield you put up, regardless, and then I just laugh at wild bolters who waste 5 turns fizzling to when a lightning shield is up. Just play like they always have a wild bolt in their hand (which they do) and turtle.

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
Umrag wrote:
Umrag wrote:

I have re-examined this, and decided to do this:
Up to Vampire in Death (4 points)
Reshuffle (1 point)
Infection (1 point)
Storm Shield (1 point)

Reasoning: Tower Shield is a very good investment in PVP, seeing as it protects from everything. The same thing goes for Weakness. Vampire is simply a good healing card, because it does damage and heals. Spirit Blade and Trap help with my attack and with my drains. Reshuffle is a key card in PVP, even for the big deck people. Infection will help for me to be able to finish the opponent off, if the Earthquake/Orturus combo doesn't kill them. Seeing as there is a lot of bolters, Storm shield will certainly be useful.

I will have 2-3 golem minion cards, and probably 4 Cyclops cards. I will have 3 buff minion cards, and 3 shield minion cards. Next, I will have 2 reshuffles, and 3 Tower Shields. My other defensive cards will be 3 weaknesses and 2 storm shields. I will carry 3 infections around as well. Then I will have 2 ghouls, and 3 Vampires. I will also have 4-5 myth traps and myth blades, and maybe 2 myth bubbles. I will carry 2 spirit blades and spirit traps, and then 5 of earthquake and orturus. That makes 57 cards. The rest will by Pixie. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the advice, Catalyst. New change!

Reshuffle (1 point)
Infection (1 point)
Up to Spirit Armor in Life (5 points)

3 golem minion cards
4 cyclops minion cards
4 shield minion cards
2 reshuffles
4 Tower Shields
4 weaknesses
4 infections
5 Myth Blades
5 Myth Traps
2 Spirit Blade
2 Spirit Trap
2 Myth bubbles
5 Earthquakes
5 Orthurus
4 Sprite
4 Pixie
1 Spirit Armor

How's that? ~Christopher Titanbringer, Level 35 Balance Wizard

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
Here would be what I would personally do:

6 Cyclops Minion
4 Shield Minion
2 Reshuffles
4 Tower Shields
4 Storm/fire shields
4 Death/myth shields
5 Myth blades
3 Spirit blades
4 Weaknesses
2 Time of Legend
3 Cleanse
3 Stun
3 Pierce
3-4 Earthquake
4 Orthus
4 Sprite
3 Pixie
2 Satyr

My entire sideboard would either be Tower Shields or Orthus. This may be too many cards, with reshuffle you can short stack your deck, take out all the Orthus and maybe 1 of every card to make it more likely that you can draw what you need when you need it. Putting Orthus in the sideboard can let you maximize the amount of good utility cards in your hand without having to hold onto orthus, (typically you hold some shields, heal cards, blades, so they can be used to respond to your opponent). The 1v1 in this game on the top level is pretty much chess with utility cards, and then opportunistically taking advantage of turns when your opponent's trying to set something up.

On a tangent. Whenever you see a storm, you put up storm shield right away. When fire, you wait until they blade or trap, and then around 6 pips (3 power pips) you shield, fire's tricky with dots, but most of them want to helephant you with their buffs up. Some of the time, especially against balance you'll both be at full pips, he'll time his blades and buffs near full pips, and then you mess him up by holding onto a cleanse for his feint and then earthquake his buffs away, he won't judgement unless he's got buffs up. At that point he'll be under serious pressure, he's got full pips that are wasting, and no shields or buffs so he won't waste 7 turns to do a 700 damage judgement (because I'll have tower shield up), so he has to wait. Meanwhile while you've been playing good defense with shields and weaknesses, keeping your pet up and your health topped off, this is the best opportunity to get any damage into him, Orthus. Then he'll waste his pips on healing, and will be catching up the rest of the game and he'll lose. Balance is easy to beat, I've played a balance up to 1400 at level 28 with no wild bolts, and the people who you beat either don't play good defense, or don't put out any pressure, balance is a 1 trick pony, and when you learn what they do, they go down pretty easy.

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009

5 Cyclops Minion
2 Reshuffle
4 Tower Shield
4 Volcanic Shield
4 Ether Shield
6 Myth Blade
3 Spirit Blade
4 Weaknesses
7 Time of Legend
1 Stun
3 Earthquake
6 Orthus
4 Minotaur
4 Sprite
3 Satyr
3 Infection

TP:
5 - Tower
3 - Weakness
7 - Satyr
1 - Infection
1 - Reshuffle
1 - Ice Shield

Eq
Commander pvp gear, Crown gear, Grandmaster Gear
Storm Wand
Malistaire's Athame and Ring
Defender Pig, Guardian Dragon, Burnzilla, Orthrus

OK your bubble is the most important spell. To win vs Myth you need to keep them off their bubble. Top played know this. Run 7 on none. Pierce and Cleanse just are not worth it. The latter is only good versus Balance but you will have Weakness and Towers to deal with them. Yes Infection and Earthquake don't mix but honestly at higher level you wont run into many opponents that shield excessively and infection a still good after you quake.

Your side should include Towers, Weakness, Frogs and 45% bubbles