Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Admins....Clarify something please

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 30, 2009
Ok, so I realize that if I see someone actually cursing in the game it's a reportable offense. But answer me this, if they don't have open chat and are trying to go around the filters, like calling someone a "bench" and so on, is that reportable also? They aren't actually cursing so technically it's false reporting. But if you look at it from the other point of view, everyone knows what they are TRYING to say, sooooo.....which is it? Reportable or non-reportable???? I know I've seen this answered somewhere else on the forum but for the life of me can't find it. Thanks in advance!

Explorer
Nov 07, 2008
I know I am not an administrator but I guess I can answer too. Well in my opinion it is reportable. I have been playing the game since near it's start and I have seen some things I have had to report. I am not an adult and sometimes i feel weird reporting people but still ,yes. I think what they are suggesting is reportable.
I have seen these things before and there are others I would find reportable in a major way.
Bench- Reported
Hex= Majorly reportable(I saw a girl walking up to random guys doing that)
Racism=Majorly reportable
Foot you/Fun you/Fuss you=Reportable
Shin=Reportable
There are several more but I would rather keep those un-named.
So yes I agreeit is reportable

Defender
May 30, 2009
Call me daft but I'm lost on hex, anyway, I never said it was my opinion that these terms weren't reportable, what I want to know is for someone from KI to say yes or no. It would clear up a disussion my husband and I have on the matter, along with myself and a few other people.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
UM???

1. Shin is a body part.

2. Hex is another form of a Spell, which this is a wizard based game. So your reporting for people saying something that relates to the game 100%?

3. People that go and try to spend 2 minutes on what they were TRYING to say, are just as bad.

I seriously think people take the reporting too far. Just add them to ignore list. That is why KI isn't doing anything about it, because there is nothing they should do. THEY ARE REAL RELATED WORDS and THERE IS A IGNORE FEATURE.

-thank you & by the way this is all my opinion HAHAHA

Defender
May 08, 2009
asutton75 wrote:
Ok, so I realize that if I see someone actually cursing in the game it's a reportable offense. But answer me this, if they don't have open chat and are trying to go around the filters, like calling someone a "bench" and so on, is that reportable also? They aren't actually cursing so technically it's false reporting. But if you look at it from the other point of view, everyone knows what they are TRYING to say, sooooo.....which is it? Reportable or non-reportable???? I know I've seen this answered somewhere else on the forum but for the life of me can't find it. Thanks in advance!

Yes, if anyone tries to bypass the filter to say thing likes, by all means report them.

Explorer
Feb 08, 2009
Yes, I teleported to my friend because he was going to fight Malistare and he and his "girlfriend" were talking about "hex". I thought it was disturbing since I am not an adult. They were going into major detail. I got so tired of it I reported them. My friend was like "DYALN!" because he was mad I reported him and his "girlfriend". Then he proceded to remove me from my friends list and leave.

Dylan Firecaster 44 Pyromancer

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
It would seem to me that; this whole issue is a matter of context. One should use one's own judgment as to if, and how, the filter is being worked around.

I would rather not have the word bench blocked by the filter.

Also, if I start discussing occult and sinister spells I would rather not have to avoid mentioning hexes, for fear of being reported by someone who just walked into the area with out hearing the whole discussion.

I will also point out that if you stop people from using one word, they will simply use another in it's place. bench, beach, twitch, itch.

Did you know that California has some fine beaches? California has some down right nasty beaches too! You don't want to go to no dirty beach, cause you could get sick!

Of course, I am only talking about the California shore line, and how some areas are very polluted...

I just want people to think before they try to restrict and control others.

Explorer
Feb 26, 2009
I personally dont think unless it directly involves you that you shouldnt do anything. If it DOES involve you, just tell the person that if they are trying to seem smart, that they should keep in mind that curse words are mostly under five letters XD Though if they are REALLY still going off with the swearing, report them by all means. ( But ONLY as soon as you know that they are trying to get around the filters, reporting them when they are actually just talking about spells is bad )

Fiona Starcatcher
Grandmaster Necromancer.
AND JESSIE THE WRAITH! FEAR ME ALL OF YOU!

Survivor
May 18, 2009
In my opinion, I think people are going too far with the reporting. The game, as you all know, attracts most teens, who in return, swear. If you are not comfortable with this then just go to a different realm or port away. But I guess if the situation is where they are doing it in all caps or in a more public place like the commons, then report them. Sometimes people think its fun because they are just joking around with their friends. I try to avoid it, but come on people.....This might sound funny, but what I like to do is try and talk to the person. I confront them and ask them to stop and tell them if they don't, THEN I report them. Usually 97% of the time they stop. Just a reminder to please NOT go overboard with reporting because I have recently lost a close friend because he got his account banned. Live and let live....

Defender
May 30, 2009
Englishdude, that's the whole reason for me posting this thread. I too just lost a friend in the game because he was banned for something that someone overreacted with. The actualy conversation in question was a total misunderstanding from someone who wasn't even involved. (could be we have the same friend in common?) Anyway, while I appreciate all the personal opinions being added to the thread, the actual question still is yet to be answered by the "powers that be". It would be really nice to get an easy YES or NO on the matter. Prof. Greyrose, Mr Lincoln, Gamma, do ya think we could get a deffinative answer on this matter please?????

Historian
May 15, 2009
i may not b an administrator
BUT i believe your friend was aying something offensive
if they were not saying anything offensive they would still be on
Mr lincoln reads all logs an hour before and an hour after the report on a player
if they said nothing then the player would not have been banned

Survivor
May 18, 2009
asutton75, I know what you mean. I was looking at some of the other comments and while typing my response, was thinking of those. The friend I lost was devin darkstaff but you probably don't know him. And yes I would also like this clarified! Also, I know a lot of parents and older people play this game and are scared their child might see some of the words. Parents, if your child is older then they either don't care or avoid it. If the child is a younger age then they probably don't even know what the people are even trying to say. If you don't want them intereacting with any of it then make their account so that they only have pre-selected chat and can only chat with others that have pre-selected chat until they are older.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
the answer u seek is in the F A Q ! the admin has answered u. in the F A Q

Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
zebulous wrote:
It would seem to me that; this whole issue is a matter of context. One should use one's own judgment as to if, and how, the filter is being worked around.

I would rather not have the word bench blocked by the filter.

Also, if I start discussing occult and sinister spells I would rather not have to avoid mentioning hexes, for fear of being reported by someone who just walked into the area with out hearing the whole discussion.

I will also point out that if you stop people from using one word, they will simply use another in it's place. bench, beach, twitch, itch.

Did you know that California has some fine beaches? California has some down right nasty beaches too! You don't want to go to no dirty beach, cause you could get sick!

Of course, I am only talking about the California shore line, and how some areas are very polluted...

I just want people to think before they try to restrict and control others.

Beach is already blocked. Only those with open chat can say it.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
It is really simple. Do not curse. Do not use sexually explicit comments. Do not attempt to circumvent the word restrictions in order to curse or use sexually explicit comments.

When you do so, you are breaking your agreement with Wizard101's Terms of Use. You therefore run the risk of being reported and having your account restricted or banned.

Noone is telling you that you can't verbally swear at the game .... I know I do sometimes. But to actually go out of your way in order to type out your cursing, knowing it is wrong, has consequences. What you are saying is public, for everyone in the area in see. And not everyone wants to see it, or will tolerate having it typed out. So you'll get reported ... justifiably so.

If you absolutely, positively just have to say it, use private chat.

englishdude and asutton75: It's too bad you lost friends, but it is not the fault of the persons reporting them ... it is your friends' fault, and a little bit your own as well. Maybe next time, you'll speak up about their behavior.

Defender
May 30, 2009
Thank you pack for telling me where to find this, as I stated before, I knew I had read it somewhere but couldn't remember where. And to Preacher, seeing how you do not know the circumstances to which my friend was banned, you have no right to judge. Also, going as far as saying it was partly our fault for the action is taking it a bit far. "Gah" was supposedly the word in question in this instance, which we use all the time, and obviously someone took it as meaning "Gay". However, gah was simply an expression as in "gosh" "dang" "shoot" or whatever you want to insert there. There are alot of OVER REPORTING people out there that see one thing and assume another....and we all know the saying about ASSUMING! Maybe you need to get ALL the facts before commenting, just like those who step into a conversation and then start hitting the report button.

Survivor
May 18, 2009
I totally agree with asutton75. Blaming us for not "speaking up" is insulting. Maybe i don't like to run people's lives and control what they say. And you know what? I did tell my friend to stop once in a while just in case he DID get reported. Everyone in the entire game knows the rules, but they go against them anyways. I think everyone has. Even you preacher dude person. And if you have not then well congrats. As I stated before, Live and let live.......I think everyone should mind their own buisness! Chillax fellow wizards.

Survivor
May 18, 2009
Listen, you said you don't judge....it sounds like you do. I really don't care for your responses and i don't think anyone does. The only reason i am replying is that you shouldn't tell me or asutton75 that its our fault. Lets get that straight right now. Your the one who butted into our conversation about our friends with your insulting opinions. Know what? i am so outraged right now that you told me and other people to get it through their "thick skulls." These forums are used for opinions not rude offenses. I think I speak for everyone when I say to please stop and go do something interesting. Go outside maybe, idk. But please stop bugging us. You have to understand we are not a ship floating in your sea of rightness. Thank you for your concern but lets move onto something else shall we? This conversation is stopping right now.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to intrude in your private conversation on this public message board. Seems to me I'm hitting real close to the truth if I'm getting such cries of outrage from the both of you.

You still don't get it: It is not the person reporting who makes the judgement call ... it is employees of KingsIsle, so it really does matter what the reporter is assuming is going on ... and they don't hold any sway over what the KingsIsle employee thinks or decides.

So stop blaming the reporter!

Survivor
May 18, 2009
Yes I am very aware that this is a private message board, however, its starting to really annoy me. What did you mean by "hitting close to the truth"? This is how it started. I replied to this post. Asutton replyed back. I replied back to him about similarities and whats going on. Then you out of no where blame US! Trust me sir or miss I totally get it. I don't come on this website to be blamed for something that was my friends fault. I don't think you have gotten the point of anything I have posted. In your mind, you think I am saying "The person reporting was to blame and my friend did nothing wrong and he got banned for no reason". What I am TRYING to say is yes my friend got banned for abuse of chat, but does that mean he still wasn't a great friend? And that I miss him? All I was trying to say in the first place was a simple message to say try not judge right away when reporting. And to not report every little thing. Plus the good people of KI have to let the report go through if it sounds malignant. You have to remember we are all human beings here and none of us will always know right from wrong. Humans also have feelings that get hurt when someone tells them to get something through their thick skulls and that something was partially their fault even though it isn't and that their friend had rude behavior. Also you try to twist my words around. Where did cries of outrage come from? I just said I was outraged which I was because I don't like being insulted. We are on the same level here and please understand EVERYTHING I have said through ALL of my replies before replying yourself. Thank you and have a nice weekend.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2009
asutton, englishdude, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN! so sad to see you lost your friend it can be very sad

Survivor
Apr 19, 2009
As a suggestion, why don't you go into group chat that way only the ones in your group can see what you're saying. Then you just need to make sure you only group with your friends.

Survivor
Aug 30, 2008
all these posts are pointless king isle isnt stupid they know that u can get around the filter so wenever u report someone you report urself and part of the chat log is sent to mr lincoln were he sees the reports and the chat log determines wether its false or not with his colleagues and then its ettled u dont want to hear people say bad thing ignore list straight away got it? good

Defender
Dec 14, 2009

As an adult who spends a lot of time in this awesome virtual world, I find myself in several situations.

First, I am an adult with a young child who plays this, and the whole reason I got into this game. This is a kids game, first and foremost. I think that Kings Isle has done a wonderful job in maintaining a kid-friendly environment, which is still enjoyable by many adults. They have given me a world in which I can spend a few hours a day with my son, even though he lives with his Mom during the week. THAT IS AWESOME! THANK YOU!

Second, I am a disabled adult, with a lot of spare time on my hands. So I enjoy this virtual world as a way for me to get out and connect with other adults, socialize, and spend time doing something fun with other people who have similar interests. As adults, we often enjoy topics of discussion such as politcs, religion, and world issues, that may or may not be appropriate to discuss in front of the younger children.

I enjoy the game because I don't HAVE TO put up with a lot of cussing, swearing, hate speach, etc. Even as an adult who may use more rough language IRL, I enjoy the fact that I can come here and mainly deal with pleasant people.

Many of the younger kids are totally awesome and a complete joy to game with!

As an adult, I feel some sort of responsibility to watch over the kids in the game and report anyone who appears to be hating on others or deliberately being rude or crude. This includes sideways references to illegal substances, and other things that our society deems inappropriate for children of middle school age or younger.

Basically, anything that I would feel uncomfortable exposing to my own child, I would report others for. After all, there are many young children in this game, and while some may find it acceptable for older teans to act that way, I certainly don't want my child exposed to that sort of thing.

As adults who are playing side by side with sometimes very young players, I feel we have a responsibility to help Kings Isle police the world and report things that our concience tells us might be unacceptable.

I also enjoy helping the younger players learn to play and mentoring them.

On the other hand, when I am in the company of other adults in the game, with open chat, my sensitivity level goes way down, and often we try to communicate in Group chat or Private messages, so that even the un-filtered words in our discussion do not send out "implied" meanings to the younger players in the game.

Let's face it, even though the filtered text doesn't include the offensive words for others to see, it usually doesn't take much to fill in the blanks. So we try to keep those discussions completely private and only between those involved.

I certainly do not advocate censorship of adults in the game, but protecting the younger children and helping them to have a positive experience, is critical to this game's ongoing success.

Granted, parents can choose not to allow their child anything more than the menu chat, and that is great that we don't have to worry about those children listening to any part of our normal conversation. But at the same time, there are many children for whome that level of restriction is cruel and inhumane LOL! Those children who really deserve to be able to talk more openly, should not be subjected to crude, rude, offensive, or hateful speach.

As an adult, with a fairly firm grasp on what is appropriate for children of young ages, I do not worry about too much about reporting things that I feel are offensive. I suspect if Kings Isle deems my reports to be frivilous, they will let me know.

So far, I have not had them contact me and tell me to quit reporting items, so I can only assume that they deem the majority of my reports as legetimate concerns. I would rather error on the side of the safety and protection of the younger gamers, than to sit back and deny any responsibility.

The rif-raf will eventually move on to something else when they realize they can't come into this game and do stuff like that. THAT is what will make this game a wonderful success for many years to come!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 17 (Journeyman Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 10 (Initiate Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 7 (Apprentice Necromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 5 (Apprentice Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 2 (Novice Sorcerer)

Defender
Dec 14, 2009
englishdude wrote:
Also, I know a lot of parents and older people play this game and are scared their child might see some of the words. Parents, if your child is older then they either don't care or avoid it. If the child is a younger age then they probably don't even know what the people are even trying to say. If you don't want them intereacting with any of it then make their account so that they only have pre-selected chat and can only chat with others that have pre-selected chat until they are older.

No offence there english dude, but I am one of those parents and I will most DEFINITELY report any type of speach or implied speach that I would deem inappropriate for my child. No different than if you were in my front yard, using that language.

My child does play here. I enjoy the opportunity to play with him online. We have a lot of fun here. My child is more than old enough to know how to have a clean and open discussion with others, without having to be restricted by the menu based chat. He is also young enough that I do not want him exposed to rude, crude, hateful, or illegal discussions.

If you choose to have those types of discussions, just be aware that you are violating the terms of use and you may very well be banned. Obviously Kings Isle reviewed the ENTIRE discussion of your friend and deemed the DISCUSSION as a whole, to be inappropriate. Sorry it happened, but it's nobody's fault except the person who violated the terms of their usage.

Kings Isle has done a wonderful job creating an environment where good, clean, kind people, of all ages, can enjoy each others' company and have a good time together.

If people choose to engage in conversation that is not appropriate for ALL AGES, then perhaps they should go spend their time in a different community.

I know I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I for one, will not tollerate that sort of thing in what I consider my community. Same as I would not tollerate it in my neighborhood. Therefore, I will continue to report anyone and everyone who I feel is acting inappropriately around the children in this game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 17 (Journeyman Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 10 (Initiate Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 7 (Apprentice Necromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 5 (Apprentice Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 2 (Novice Sorcerer)