Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What are the adult things in this game?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Sep 25, 2008
Hi,

I need to convince my older boyfriend this is a game for all ages, not just kids. How can I convince him to watch when I'm playing the game. I showed him a bit of the game, but I still don't play as much as before because now I'm studying and working.

Regards,

Maryanne

P.S. When he was 37, he used to like these sorts of games, now he is a carpenter, too busy. I think he does not want to get addicted to it, like me. I just play in my spare time now though. We do not have kids, not planning to have any either.

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
Well, while it was not originally aimed at such a broad audience, it certainly has caught on to people of all ages. If you just get him to maybe try playing for himself, maybe just go through the tutorial. I'm 20, and what I find the most fun is the battle-style of the game and that while there are plenty of people younger than I am, I can still find people who are around my age, and sometimes older.
So, as to your original question, my answer is that there are no true adult things except that the battle system is more in depth than most other kids games, and that no matter what your age, you can find someone to befriend and associate with, even if it's just your real life boy/girl friend.

Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
Ask him to check out the game and tell you what he thinks about it. He'll be addicted soon after. I was just checking out the game to see if my kids would like it. Once you start doing those first quests, you get hooked. Also, the game gets progressively harder as you play which may hold his interest more.

Explorer
Jun 02, 2009
Well I may be a kid but I think that adults get a very good advantage because they are better thinkers than most kids but the first few missions and most people are hooked... even my mom is playing and asking questions

Blaze TitanBreaker lvl 30 magus theurgtist

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
There is a lot more strategy that is really involved in the game, especially as one progresses their character. It's not a simple click-and-hit type game, you actually need to think about what you are doing, so there is a LOT of strategy involved...more-so than any real kids-only games. I think that is why this game appeals to such a large age-range. I mean it may look all cartoonish and have all these cute animal characters and stuff, but there is so much more to it than that once you start getting into it. Also, not sure how far along you, yourself, are, but you notice less and less kids the higher up you go, that is because of the strategy side of the game. Kids either don't always get the strategy or they just get very impatient and tend to throw out any old spell instead of figuring out what combinations work best. Not saying all the kids here are like that, but I've seen plenty that are. Most of the really good players I've met were adults or very intelligent young people.

Hero
May 27, 2009
I'd have to say that the adult things are the references to music groups as you do Zeke's quests, some of the actual quest titles are puns relating to soap operas, Star Wars, and other movie references. I'm pretty sure that kids don't really know who Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are unless they read Shakespeare in elementary school. My kids don't have the patience for crafting, so I regard that as an "adult thing."

I suggest challenging your boyfriend to start his own wizard. Tell him all he has to do is get to level 10 or finish Triton Avenue or something that sounds pretty easy. I think he'll get into it.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2010
My husband, sister, and daughter all got hooked on this game. *Snicker* So did I. So I think it's for all ages. Also, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, young people probably wouldn't know about them! I doubt children have ever read Shakespeare's Hamlet. Also Zeke's Yardbirds (I'm not sure if that's referring to The Yardbirds [a band] or Charlie Parker the Jazz singer)

-Anna [Ryan DarkRiver Adept Necromancer]

Delver
Feb 23, 2009
glade8er wrote:
Well I may be a kid but I think that adults get a very good advantage because they are better thinkers than most kids but the first few missions and most people are hooked... even my mom is playing and asking questions

Blaze TitanBreaker lvl 30 magus theurgtist

I'm a kid also, but not necessarily not a good thinker. A lot of kids are great thinkers on this game! Not just adults.

-Elizabeth MistLeaf
-Level 49 Master of Ice