Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Howabout a Respec?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 23, 2008
I know this is beta and this is an especially far fetched idea for this sort of game, but it would be nice to be able to at X level respec to another school completely. As in you lose all your current spells and start with just your equipment spells and deck and have to go sign up with a new school.

This would save a lot of people from creating a new toon and having to go thru the entire tutorial again.

Just a thought.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2008
I asked something similar last week and got NO response! I can't imagine that NO one else likes this idea so thanks for bumping the idea. I won't argue where or how this should be implemented, but it sure would be nice.

I do think each character created should stay in the school they were created with (for a couple of reasons), but it would be ideal to be able to reclaim skill points for use in different ways without a penalty.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2008
I agree...it seems a little punishing to not be able to unlearn spells; I started as a death mage and dabbled a bit into myth. Now that i've played for a bit and have a better idea of the game, I wish I didnt spend those two points and instead invested in a different school (which, at level 24, I STILL havent decided on)

Even if we have to do a quest (repeatable) to undo one spell selection, or pay money per training point to regain, it would be worth it. There is simply no reason NOT to have respecs in this day and age.

Survivor
Aug 08, 2008
I was really thinking about the same thing. Like what jafo said, I think we should stay with the school we start with, but I think we should have the ability to spec and respec points used for the spells we spent points on (Such as my main, a necromancer, also has fire spells and a balance spell. I wanted a necromancer/fire combo for some odd reason, but I now prefer the balance class. I think I should be able to 'return' the spell back for my points.) I think also to make it fair, so people aren't respecing ALL the time, if we put some price on it. Only to make it fair... to even things out.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2008
I'd love to see a respec feature. If they go cash shop this could be a buyable item. Otherwise, ingame earn it feature if it's going subscription.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
There is a HUGE problem with this idea, however, in that "respec" is much too soft a term to describe what is being suggested here. It's something that's suggestive of the World of Warcraft talent tree, and a "respec" there. That was a fairly common thing, and the flexibility was appropriate.

No ... what's being talked about here is an actual CHANGE OF JOB OR CLASS. It's not like changing the talent specialization on a warrior or priest. It's like being able to change a warrior INTO a priest.

For the vast majority of MMOs, the initial selection of your character's class carries a sense of respectful permanence. You're free to roll alts, and try other things, but a character that is created to be a such-and-such will be a such-and-such forever. Anything less makes character creation frivolous.

There are some games who have compromised slightly on this issue by making a job/class change accompanied by immediate loss of all levels ... essentially, starting from scratch, but with the same character. That would be alright with me.

Getting to level 50 as a Pyromancer, however, and suddenly deciding you want to be a level 50 Necromancer at the click of a button? Too easy, too frivolous, too game-wrecking. It's a nice, fleeting thing to dream about ... but in practical terms, it'll kind of cheapen what it means to be one kind of Wizard over the other, and go that much closer to ensuring there's really only one class in the game: "Wizard."

In other words, it guts a good chunk out of the game. Let's keep our character's class choices permanent, please, as it should be.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2008
dukelexon wrote:
There is a HUGE problem with this idea, however, in that "respec" is much too soft a term to describe what is being suggested here. It's something that's suggestive of the World of Warcraft talent tree, and a "respec" there. That was a fairly common thing, and the flexibility was appropriate.

No ... what's being talked about here is an actual CHANGE OF JOB OR CLASS. It's not like changing the talent specialization on a warrior or priest. It's like being able to change a warrior INTO a priest.

For the vast majority of MMOs, the initial selection of your character's class carries a sense of respectful permanence. You're free to roll alts, and try other things, but a character that is created to be a such-and-such will be a such-and-such forever. Anything less makes character creation frivolous.

There are some games who have compromised slightly on this issue by making a job/class change accompanied by immediate loss of all levels ... essentially, starting from scratch, but with the same character. That would be alright with me.

Getting to level 50 as a Pyromancer, however, and suddenly deciding you want to be a level 50 Necromancer at the click of a button? Too easy, too frivolous, too game-wrecking. It's a nice, fleeting thing to dream about ... but in practical terms, it'll kind of cheapen what it means to be one kind of Wizard over the other, and go that much closer to ensuring there's really only one class in the game: "Wizard."

In other words, it guts a good chunk out of the game. Let's keep our character's class choices permanent, please, as it should be.

You are misintrepeting our request: Given the current system, you CANT change your primary class, nor is anyone asking to change that. If you want to be a pyromancer as opposed to necromancer...well too bad, time to reroll.
What we are asking for, however, is a way to refund our training points...those points we use to buy optional spells in other schools. We would like the option to at least EXIST, even if it is a pain in the tuckus.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2008
I don't really like that idea. It would just change things far too much if you were able to randomly change your school. It'd just be a complete change of character if you did that. I think if you want to be a high level X class you should have to start from the bottom with that class.

Now, I do think it would be pretty awesome if you could have two official schools. Two school types would be pretty awesome... they could even have the main school free to train and the second one cost training points, aside from the school quest spells. That way power pips/gear could be applied to this other school that you are investing a lot into.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2008
I really hate games that allow 'respec's. It rewards people who are so bad at playing they have to make multiple tries with the same character to get it right.

Survivor
May 29, 2008
How about just giving everyone ten training points to do with as they please? I think it would be a lot easier than to change the game just so players can test what they missed.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2008
Kasta wrote:
I really hate games that allow 'respec's. It rewards people who are so bad at playing they have to make multiple tries with the same character to get it right.

This has to be the worst argument against respeccing I have ever heard. Respecs do not reward bad players; they allow INEXPERIENCED players the opportunity to learn the game and experiment without getting frustrated. A frustrated player is 1-3 months away from being an EX-player, which is not something I would think the creators of this game would want.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2008
I guess it will be a cash shop item to unlearn other school spell and got training point back. Wait and see...

Survivor
Aug 12, 2008
It's far too easy to mess up your training points. Picking a bad second school for you, making the mistake of taking lots of low level spells or even just finding that cards you get from your primary school later or find in a hidden shop (or een added in a future update) change the way you play the game can all leave you with the only choice of going back to level one.
I haven't spent a single training point yet and probably won't until I know every spell in the game. Having the opportunity to take back my mistakes would add a lot to the game.

Survivor
May 29, 2008
Doombunny wrote:
Kasta wrote:

This has to be the worst argument against respeccing I have ever heard. Respecs do not reward bad players; they allow INEXPERIENCED players the opportunity to learn the game and experiment without getting frustrated. A frustrated player is 1-3 months away from being an EX-player, which is not something I would think the creators of this game would want.

A good response, I think. But respecifications are also a wise decision for even veteran players. You may have that perfect build, and suddenly new spells are added. Or perhaps old ones are changed, for whatever reason. Or maybe you just want to change things slightly. A respec is a great tool in adjusting your character to how you like it. In another game I utilize the tool as much as possible. And let it be known that I'm not "so bad at playing I need to remake my character multiple times to get it right."

Survivor
Sep 04, 2008
I think being able to somehow get your training points back (and lose the spells you bought with them) would be good. Being able to change your character's school of learning tho should not be allowed. If you've got a lvl 50 pyromancer and want a lvl 50 life mage...you'll just have to earn it or spend those training points. But if you've gotten to lvl 20 and discover that being balance mage and putting points into fire magic was redundant or something, it'd be nice to not have to re-roll.