Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Deigo's Training

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
I really think it should be required at like lvl 2.
I see new people that just use attack after attack without know what other cards do, such as shields and blades.
With deigo's training wizard101 is much easier to understand. Please make it a requirement for a lower lvl then 6, this will help the new wizards a ton

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I think it's fine.

On average, you don't even get shields until level 8, and blades usually come later than that (keep in mind, this is the majority). And you don't even get power pips until level 10.

What I'd like to see added to Diego's training is the usage of prisms. I see too many instances where people are casting it on an enemy thinking it's a trap.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
I think it's fine.

On average, you don't even get shields until level 8, and blades usually come later than that (keep in mind, this is the majority). And you don't even get power pips until level 10.

What I'd like to see added to Diego's training is the usage of prisms. I see too many instances where people are casting it on an enemy thinking it's a trap.

I agree that prisms should be added to diego's training.

Even though I'm grand fire, and know that the prism will do ice damage on a fire enemy, what still confuses me is how shields affect it.

By that I mean will the shield activate if the prism is put first, then the shield, and/or vice versa.

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
I think it's fine.

I completely agree on that the timing of training is fine as is. In the beginning most new people are just trying to figure out the very basics of what works, they don't need to be overwhelmed with knowledge of spells they don't yet have, and may not have for a while. For Life and Ice they never even get their blades for a long, long time, for example. And, yeah, most people have no shields until level 8 unless they waste points on them, or if they have a card, like the tower shield, built into their crown gear. I mean at level 2...you really just have your 1 pip attack spell...at least that's all most people have.

I don't completely agree on the prism issue, though. But I do agree that it should be a part of the tutorial, or at least make it a second tutorial. LOTS of people don't really learn how to use them right. Unless told by a higher level wizard many never seem to figure out that most all the time you must lay down your prism first, before any traps. The exception to this rule being if there will be a global use trap involved; like Feint, Hex, Curse. If using those traps you can lay those down first, though you might not want to in case the enemy shields, as you will have to break his/her shield in order for the prism to work when placed on the enemy. And in the process of breaking that shield you will also break the global trap. I know there are ways around breaking it, but for beginners there generally are not. There are more advanced tricks with prisms(mostly to get those huge hits we all love...lol,) but for the beginner they should be taught the basics of it.

Also, some people use prisms on things you might not think they need them on. Like Storm can use their prism on balance to get a myth boost on balance. Keep that in mind ;)
But, yeah, I have seen some people use a prism wrong in that way too...which is no benefit at all, and could even make the fight more difficult for them.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
We see two levels of training, the initial training by Merle and then Diego about level 7 or 8.

My suggestion would be to have a 'master' class that discusses:
1) Prisms
2) Timing of shields, blades, defenses, and prisms.
3) A lesson about damage if you have a combo of one regular pip and two power pips...showing that a five pip from your school gives a lot more damage than a three pip from a secondary/treasure spell...
4) A lesson on how to use blades and traps....

This would be good about level 12, after everyone gets their prism.

Just my two cents worth (or is it worth one cent due to the recession? )

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
oceandaydreamer wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:
I think it's fine.

I completely agree on that the timing of training is fine as is. In the beginning most new people are just trying to figure out the very basics of what works, they don't need to be overwhelmed with knowledge of spells they don't yet have, and may not have for a while. For Life and Ice they never even get their blades for a long, long time, for example. And, yeah, most people have no shields until level 8 unless they waste points on them, or if they have a card, like the tower shield, built into their crown gear. I mean at level 2...you really just have your 1 pip attack spell...at least that's all most people have.

I don't completely agree on the prism issue, though. But I do agree that it should be a part of the tutorial, or at least make it a second tutorial. LOTS of people don't really learn how to use them right. Unless told by a higher level wizard many never seem to figure out that most all the time you must lay down your prism first, before any traps. The exception to this rule being if there will be a global use trap involved; like Feint, Hex, Curse. If using those traps you can lay those down first, though you might not want to in case the enemy shields, as you will have to break his/her shield in order for the prism to work when placed on the enemy. And in the process of breaking that shield you will also break the global trap. I know there are ways around breaking it, but for beginners there generally are not. There are more advanced tricks with prisms(mostly to get those huge hits we all love...lol,) but for the beginner they should be taught the basics of it.

Also, some people use prisms on things you might not think they need them on. Like Storm can use their prism on balance to get a myth boost on balance. Keep that in mind ;)
But, yeah, I have seen some people use a prism wrong in that way too...which is no benefit at all, and could even make the fight more difficult for them.

I'm fire so i got my blade after meeting all the teachers

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
wizardchase10 wrote:
oceandaydreamer wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:
I think it's fine.

I'm fire so i got my blade after meeting all the teachers

As I said Ice and Life are an example of two schools which do not get their blades for some time.
Fire is rare in getting theirs' extremely early. Most others have to wait a bit longer before getting them.

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
I think it's fine.

I agree with you. because dieigo didnt add prisms, i didnt know what purpose they had (until a later level)

but i think they still should explain how to use blades and shields because fire wizards get blades early and storm wizards get convert early and they will eventually earn their sheilds at SOME point .

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
FlipFredFredBurger wrote:
but i think they still should explain how to use blades and shields because fire wizards get blades early and storm wizards get convert early and they will eventually earn their sheilds at SOME point .

He does.

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:

He does.
I dont think he explained converts to me. either that or i am not listening to him lol

Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
MikeStrath wrote:
We see two levels of training, the initial training by Merle and then Diego about level 7 or 8.

My suggestion would be to have a 'master' class that discusses:
1) Prisms
2) Timing of shields, blades, defenses, and prisms.
3) A lesson about damage if you have a combo of one regular pip and two power pips...showing that a five pip from your school gives a lot more damage than a three pip from a secondary/treasure spell...
4) A lesson on how to use blades and traps....

This would be good about level 12, after everyone gets their prism.

Just my two cents worth (or is it worth one cent due to the recession? )

Additional training like what is discribed above would be great. As a new player I don't see how I'm going to learn these tricks unless someone discribes them on the message boards.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:

He does.
I dont think he explained converts to me. either that or i am not listening to him lol

Maybe you aren't READING (or WRITING) very well. You stated "I think they should explain how to use blades and shields ......"

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:

He does.

He means explaining blades and traps, ice gets trap slightly early and blade EXTREMELY late around level 38/+ which is unfair to the ice wizards but not the point. I see people just randomly using cards like pixie when they have 400/500 health in the middle of a battle or keep using attacks, die, and demand to be healed, or they insult you if you dont

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:

He does.

Maybe you aren't READING (or WRITING) very well. You stated "I think they should explain how to use blades and shields ......"
*cough cough* i'll just ignore that (seemingly angry) post and go on .

Most low storm wizards get convert,

they use a convert on a storm person (not knowing what they are doing)

and go crazy with spells.

(ignoring i said i will move on, people dont WRITE in this game, they TYPE and if you read that post again i typed about converts. :?)

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
flash33 wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:
I think it's fine.

I agree that prisms should be added to diego's training.

Even though I'm grand fire, and know that the prism will do ice damage on a fire enemy, what still confuses me is how shields affect it.

By that I mean will the shield activate if the prism is put first, then the shield, and/or vice versa.

Lol i know! Some of my friends laugh at me cause I think it the monster ruins the spell when it happens not to.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:

He does.

*cough cough* i'll just ignore that (seemingly angry) post and go on .

Most low storm wizards get convert,

they use a convert on a storm person (not knowing what they are doing)

and go crazy with spells.

(ignoring i said i will move on, people dont WRITE in this game, they TYPE and if you read that post again i typed about converts. :?)

Yah. Plus, these forums arent for grammer classes or spelling classes or whatever you guys make a big deal about. They are for debating and discussing the GAME and if you have problems about someone writing something wrong, leave it to yourself. I am so sick of people commenting on spelling and grammer errors. Plus you should know that there are many different age groups on these forums, some that may not know exactly a bunch about writing, spelling, etc.

(Not saying ur a little kid Fred, just stating in general)

Survivor
Mar 05, 2010
AlecVolterra wrote:
I really think it should be required at like lvl 2.
I see new people that just use attack after attack without know what other cards do, such as shields and blades.
With deigo's training wizard101 is much easier to understand. Please make it a requirement for a lower lvl then 6, this will help the new wizards a ton

I agree, I'm sure there are places on the forums that explain it all but when I first started playing I had no idea how to get pips, what a power pip was or even that a pip was a pip (lol). Diego's quest really opened my eyes to it all so it would be really helpful to change it to a lower lvl quest in my opinion. And while yes you get shields and swords after Diego's quest it wouldn't hurt to know about it from the get go as opposed to walking around not understanding about pips which is a crucial part of this game. I've played tons of games and never really was totally lost on the game mechanics before, this a new kind of mmo at least from what I'm used to so I was totally lost on why/how/what things were.

I also agree about adding prisms to the lesson as I didn't understand it till I saw someone use it.

Signing out :D