Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

This game REALLY stops you from winning huh?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 11, 2010
I mean 4 fizzles in a row?
And why is it that there is NO way to solo some of the quests? (wormguts comes to mind readily. 5 times we tried my son and I and it just wasn't possible. Level 8 pyromancer with full hitpoints and full mana too)
I'm starting to think we made a mistake getting this game.
And NO, I don't want the game to be TOO easy, but make it, at the very least, possible to win soloing...
Or, is that too much to ask from this company?

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
lego869 wrote:
And why is it that there is NO way to solo some of the quests? (wormguts comes to mind readily. 5 times we tried my son and I and it just wasn't possible. Level 8 pyromancer with full hitpoints and full mana too)
And NO, I don't want the game to be TOO easy, but make it, at the very least, possible to win soloing...

This is a surprising post...I usually play solo, and find Wormguts not to be a major issue. And 4 fizzles in a row? Sounds like storm.

My suggestion is that since this isn't required at level 8, do some of the other quests out on the streets and come back later. And try life, it has a 90% cast rate, and I have never had it fizzle more than twice in a row.

Math:

Storm fizzle 3 times: .3 x .3 x.3 = 2.7% (4 times is ~1%)
Life fizzle 3 times = .1 x .1 x .1 = 1/10% (4 times is 1/100 %)

Deck construction is also important. Protection is at 100% (non-fizzle) as are most damage boosts. Wand spells are also good. My guess is that 1 out of 3 spells cast should have less than a auto-cast %...and if you are casting storm or fire, expect many fizzles.

Defender
May 24, 2009
When i was a novice wizard i tried to solo those bosses, but it dosent seem possible to win. Thats why we have those sigils things for four people :D. At times you might be lucky to win them if you have the correct cards at the right time. In my opinion this game is not too easy or too hard, you just need skills and the right cards :P

Survivor
Jan 06, 2010
actually this game is soloable, i have had no problems with any of the starting areas, maybe a few deaths on a boss, but generally only cos i never have a heal when i need it most, or i wait too long to heal im normally in at least my early teens by the time i get to wormguts mind, so possibly youve been missing quests? try levelling up a bit more then go get wormguts.

Survivor
Apr 08, 2009
wormguts i think is in sunken city? Or maybe not BUT

If it IS sunken city then what are you doing with a level 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wizard
some grandmasters cant beat that place, its optional too. And if it isnt sunken city then you must really have a bad deck cause i can beat WC in like a day so thats what i have to say

Evan Icefist- Grandmaster thaumaturge- warlord
Evan Stormfirst-Adept Diviner-corporal

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
I agree with others who said that hitting Wormguts at level 8 is a little early. At least get to your double-digit levels first.

It's completely possible to solo him with ANY school. I have done each school, have a Grand in each as well and have easily soloed all Wizard City with each. Though it was harder with my first because I was learning....which is what you are doing. So stick with it and make sure you get all those side quests you can, they will level you up and give you a lot more practice so you can beat those bosses :-)

I also advise that you don't do the last bosses on Cyclops(General Akilles,) Fire Cat(Alicane Swiftarrow,) and Triton(Harvest Lord) until you reach, at least, level 10, then go see the guy in the library, not the one at the desk, but the guy that stands there to the left when you go in. You can pick up the library quest that will have you read the books at all the major boss instances on every street. So you can kill 2 birds with one stone by waiting to do those bosses until you have that quest.

And to the person who thought Wormguts is in Sunken City...no, sorry, but he is in Firecat Alley. Grubb is in Sunken City.
Which is another bit of advice for the original poster here: Don't try to do Sunken City while still at a low level in Wizard City. You will need lots of help for it if you try it at that level and it will be very stressful if you make it through there at that point. They were right when they said it was optional, so just wait on that one.
It's pretty easy to solo with a Grand, though, so I can't agree on that, with who said it's hard for Grands. If a Grand has a hard time in there then they didn't ever learn how to stack their deck...and I would guess they had TONS of help becoming a Grand.
But Sunken City would be much easier if you wait until at least level 30-40 and take a friend in with you at that time too...it can be done.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010

I'm glad to see that other wizards made a comment about the level.

I'm did Wormguts at Level 11 and it was pretty hard for me . But with the right cards (a lot of shields and a lot of healing during the duel), I did make it through.

If you find that you're having a hard time with the bosses, just go on to another quest until you get more experience, health, mana, and maybe some new cards. Like the one person said, go away and level up, and then come back. I had to do that with Rattlebones in Unicorn Way. I had to go back to him a few times in the beginning . Now I go back and beat him just for the heck of it!! Loving it... :D

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Wormguts is a side quest (he has the sleeper's timepiece) in Firecat Alley. You don't mention whether you and your son played simultaneously (2 accounts), or took turns trying to beat the dungeon.

At level 8, you should have earned 3 training points. I would suggest putting all 3 into the Death school. Death is a higher accuracy school, and every other attack learned is a life steal attack (half the damage done to the monster is given to you as healing). It will also give you the Life/Myth shield, so a couple of the spirit schools are covered for defensive purpose. Don't bother putting the dark sprite in your deck, but have a couple of the ghouls there. After putting your 3 training points in Death, start using your points in Ice until you have learned Tower Shield, then go back to Death until you get Feint.

Always, always attack the lower health monsters in a group first... the faster you get rid of one monster, the less there are attacking you.

Defender
May 29, 2009

The game is actually quite easy. Fizzles can be part of the game. It's just something you have to account for with proper shielding and healing if necessary. The game does require some thought and strategy. Bolster your defense first and then attack. That way, your fizzles aren't fatal. Good luck!

Survivor
Feb 19, 2010
lego869 wrote:

It is possible to solo the game if you watch how you build your deck and upgrade your gear. You can also spend a few crowns during a boss battle and hire henchmen to assist. The most important is how you build your deck, I like to keep a couple of decks going so that I can adapt to my opponent(s). Storm and Fire students benefit alot from accuracy treasure cards so spend some gold and buy up several from the bazaar in WC, then keep 3 or 4 in your deck.

The henchmen work out great too when your in a tight spot. You can get 5000 crowns pretty cheap and a level 20 henchman only costs 20 crowns to hire. You'd be surprised at how much a single level 20 henchman whose school is direct opposite of the boss's can help you win.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
MikeStrath wrote:

Storm fizzle 3 times: .3 x .3 x.3 = 2.7% (4 times is ~1%)
Life fizzle 3 times = .1 x .1 x .1 = 1/10% (4 times is 1/100 %)

This is wrong because each casting is a single event, not a series of events that averages over time.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
Actually, I soloed Wormguts with my (level 10ish) Life wizard, Molly. She didn't die. Could be because I was lucky, but...
Also I didn't have friends to help, but that's besides the point.

This game is actually really easy, yet difficult and sometimes hair-pulling. But, yeah, maybe 8 is a little too early. Try buying some healing and shield treasure cards if you can't get bosses dead by just throwing spells at them.

Fizzles are pretty natural. I remember I was in a boss in Marlybone (if could have been in the Big Ben), and everyone on our side fizzled, and we almost all died. It was unfortunate, but it was bound to happen eventually. If spells didn't fizzle, the game would be pretty boring by just killing everything with little effort.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Here is a small tip that may help when soloing a boss.

Place a mark INSIDE his lair before approaching him. Kill the minion first. If you do die, gulp a potion and then port back to your mark. The minion will be gone and you can face the boss 1v1.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
im level 36 deatschool and i only got help with the minotaur in krakotopia, if i come up against a difficult boss it usually helps repack my deck and try again, and again, luck is a part of the game so sometimes you just need to give it another go.

Survivor
Apr 09, 2010
well here is what i think the game made the streets in a order well here is what i think the order is cyclops lane=triton avenue=firecat alley. that is what i think the order is so tri that and dont do firecat alley first do it last. and i agree you are under level for wormguts i found him the esiest boss in wc.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2010
i have a grandmaster death and myth and on both of those guys only 4 fights in the whole game i could not solo at the level when i got the quest and those are the coven in ravenscar, malistaire, because you have to have at least 2 people to open his door, sunken city, and grandmasters tower. all the other fights i did on my own with no treasure cards or bought henchmen just me and my deck.