Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why do people rank down?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 12, 2009
In the arena, i faced i lvl 45 ice master, and when i thought i was in for a nice fight.
But then he just fled. I was happy to get my rank up and get some free tickets. Then i was matched up against the same guy again.
i assumed he wasnt ready the last time i was matched up against him.
so i asked him: ''You ready this time?'' He replied: ''I'm ranking down.''
i was happy to get free tickets and points again, but i had to wonder why he wanted rank down.

This isnt the first time its happened either.
And i have seen higher rank people rank down for some reason.

so i must know why do they rank down?

Andrew Dragonstalker, level 40 master sorcerer

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
I have no clue, but probably because he may be a pro at PvP and wants to fight newbs at it. :-P

Defender
May 31, 2009
I'm sure there are a number of reasons why but the primary reason people rank down is to get tickets fast.

Imagine you get into a 1v1 - you could play for 15, 20, 30, 45 minutes - who knows how long. At the end of the day you may or may not win. So, for your effort, you might get 10 tickets, but you could also get just 3.

However, in the Same amount of time, or less, you could have ranked down from 5, 6, 7 - however many matches. Even though you are only getting 3 tickets per loss, because you're playing more you're getting more tickets.

So, play a long time for Maybe 10, but maybe 3 tickets, or play the same time and get a guaranteed 18+ tickets. Even though it causes them to lose rank, lots of folks choose the latter to get their hands on enough tickets for Arena Gear as possible.

mlb

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
sparkboy187 wrote:
In the arena, i faced i lvl 45 ice master, and when i thought i was in for a nice fight.
But then he just fled. I was happy to get my rank up and get some free tickets. Then i was matched up against the same guy again.
i assumed he wasnt ready the last time i was matched up against him.
so i asked him: ''You ready this time?'' He replied: ''I'm ranking down.''
i was happy to get free tickets and points again, but i had to wonder why he wanted rank down.

This isnt the first time its happened either.
And i have seen higher rank people rank down for some reason.

so i must know why do they rank down?

Andrew Dragonstalker, level 40 master sorcerer
I am guessing its so that warlords wont be warlords forever if they lost like 50 matches.

Defender
May 24, 2009
I always wondered why people do this! Especially novice wizards that are warlords do this to fight noobs again. Well i dont really know why they do it :p

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
I've ranked down my Warlords a number of times (only one I haven't is my Ice GM). Why do we derank? I do it to build up tickets....but not because its an easy 3 tickets everytime you lose. I do it to get into battles that take only 10-15 mins. At Warlord, especially 1200+, most battles end up taking 45mins to 1.5 hour because the competition is excellent! When I am trying to build up tickets, getting 3-10 tickets every 2 hours is not productive.

Wizards have done such a great job of balancing classes, most warlord battles are very evenly matched. Who wins ends up coming down to luck (such as fizzles and card draws), your skill at guessing your opponents moves, and who has initiative. Having initiative in a pvp duel is SOOOO HUGE.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
I have ranked down simply because i was trying to earn tickets o buy something and you get tickets on the way down and the way up. but like the other poster said once you are a warlord your fights are longer and take forever to get in.

normally if I dont need the tickets I wont rank down. But its too easy to get to warlord and once there if like being in a club that most people dont attend regualarly.

Survivor
May 10, 2010
well its pvp and rank matters like pokemon your attack and rank goes down it is hard