Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level Requirement for Worlds

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 06, 2008
I think it would be a good idea to place level requirements on the worlds, reasonable levels that a person would be at when they reach a new world. Lately I am seeing more and more people taking lower level friends through high level worlds to get them to level up faster.

It just seems like it takes away from the game and isn't really fair to those of us who actually worked to get to where we are. It would also cut back on the number of noobs who teleport in, add an enemy, then leave because it is too overwhelming for them.

Results

Should there be level requirements for worlds?
Yes 47%
No 53%

Survivor
May 25, 2008
No, because I tend to go to the world underleveled.
Like im level 23 in marleybone.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2008
I disagree completely.
It's hard enough to get people to help you out through the instances in Marleybone as it is. Limiting the people who can help even further is just going to make the game less fun.
It would be nice if people teleporting in didn't immediately join combat though.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2008
It would be nice if there was a way to warn the person that is trying to teleport to you that the person is (in battle) and it's not safe for you to teleport in! Ofcoarse this should apply only to real lower level players which would stop them from adding another monster to the battle and then fleeing the battle afterwards.

Explorer
Jul 05, 2008
I find this so frustrating especially with the kids with no chat. You can not tell them they should not be here. I had a few I made friends that follow me into battle in mooshu. Would 900 points be good enough no way.

In big ben fight we had to carry a kid who had 800 points. I would not like the levels to be too hard to get too. But no wizard that has not even finish Kroktopia should be able to get into Mooshu.

This never bothered me before. With chat people I can express my displeasure. With No chat all I can do is delete them. Which I think is much more cruel than telling them to stop following me and you should not even be here.

But if we have a chat button that said you should not be here go back home then I would see no need for minimal requirements.

Or maybe you could go to Mooshu but you would only get experience points for the level you are at. There is no way you could beat any of those monsters with 800 points. So If the prize is a robe the robe that player gets is the same value as they would get in Colossus.

So they would gain nothing for jumping up so high, but if they truly wanted to help a friend they could too.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2008
I'd love to see a sign next to the entrance of each zone, that contains a warning stating the appropriate level that a wizard should be to venture forth.

That way, if you want, you can press X to read the sign or just skip it and run blindly into danger.

But it would be nice to know if you are just too low level for the zone or just need to reorg your deck.

The only problem is that some schools might have different thoughts on what is a good level. A Life wizard might have more difficulty than a Storm wizard or vice versa .

-p

Survivor
Aug 19, 2008
littlebelle wrote:

Or maybe you could go to Mooshu but you would only get experience points for the level you are at. There is no way you could beat any of those monsters with 800 points. So If the prize is a robe the robe that player gets is the same value as they would get in Colossus.

So they would gain nothing for jumping up so high, but if they truly wanted to help a friend they could too.

I like this idea. I often teleport to help friends in higher level areas, and the stuff I find is often too powerful to suit my level. I'd also like quests to be disabled in worlds you can't reach 'normally', to prevent power leveling where a low level alt follows high level friends around and 'completes' difficult high-reward quests.

Survivor
Jul 15, 2008
Well if staff make a wizard for each school and ONLY go through the main storyline they could see the BARE MINIMUM for a world. Maybe for each school or ( preferablly) Find the lowest overall and use that for a base.

Then if you want to get to worlds quick then just do the main storyline but if you want to be able to teleport in/ help friends higher up then you should put more work into the extra quests.

People jumping can sometimes be a pain but when the only friend on is a friend outside the game in krok, and you need help in marley really badly it can be a strain......

Personally i have 2 friends who i know out of game who have carried all out us through. I'm a bit ahead but we all work together.

Implementing a level requirement would be really a lot better.

I hate people jumping a head then doing quests or finding certain shops which have a free training spell in further parts of the game......

If they want to get there then they should work for it.. Jeez if i saw a level 1, closed chat player in a Moo Shu battle calling HELP! or HELP ME! (whatever the closed chat way of saying it is) I would leave them.

If they want to jump ahead then they should suffer the consequences and learn not to jump ahead.

Explorer
Jun 21, 2008
I think if you have completed the task, you should be able to progress because you will get more experience once you are there. If a person has to wait for a certain level to go to new world, it takes away from the game. I like the fact that you have to be certain level to receive different items but any other restrictions would take away from the game.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2008
i wouldn't like a level requirement because well i didn't finish krokotopia but i am doing marleybone. it an easier way to level up. i am a storm so i have strong spells but i kind of miss a lot. and anyway i jsut think a level requirement is a bad idea. no offense.

Survivor
May 29, 2008
plumblossum wrote:
I think if you have completed the task, you should be able to progress because you will get more experience once you are there. If a person has to wait for a certain level to go to new world, it takes away from the game. I like the fact that you have to be certain level to receive different items but any other restrictions would take away from the game.
Agreed! Battles alone will change the level at which you advance to a new world in comparison to another player. I entered mooshu at a low level. With no quests left to do (and quests being my major income of xp) it would have been painful to not be able to enter. I did not do so before my time, either. I completed all my quests. But I had reached marleybone by way of Mr. Advancer. A helpfully short lived NPC that did not consider battle experience as he advanced me back to the point I once was.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2008
I'm so-so with this idea.

It annoys me to no end when Novices jump into duels, pulling another monster in with you in Marlybone mind you, and then flee because the monsters are too hard.

I, however, like to have support from a couple of lower-leveled True Friends in Instanced Areas in certain worlds.

Maybe a way to keep them from jumping into your duels is that they get a busy signal if you're in a duel. But if you want help you could send an 'SOS' that the friend could click on, and then and only then, could they jump to you.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2008
I like it the way it is now because it's really flexible and I can manage the pace at which I do my quests and leveling. If they put level caps on it, it would leave you stuck sometimes with nothing left to do where you are and I would hate that.

Also, I think that my friends and I should be able to help each other out without restrictions. My friends are good players and can help even if they are lower levels. Putting a level cap on that would mean we couldn't do things together anymore, and that would make me sad as we help each other out both ways. If they happen to get drops that are a little bit higher, well, they've earned it for helping me. Maybe a level cap on the items might even things out a bit, so that they can't actually use them until the appropriate level is achieved.

Perhaps a "friends only" type flag for players of drastically different levels might allow you to play with friends but make it so that players who are below that world's entry level would not be allowed to join random players in battle, thus making it impossible for lower levels to grief higher levels who are trying to get something done.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2008
I voted "no", and here are my reasons:

• [*] We should try not to unduly discourage friends from playing together, even if one friend's character is significantly lower in level than the other's;
    [*] I'd rather see a cap put on XP earned, so that beyond X difference between your actual level, and the expected level, you don't get any additional XP. That way, the abov epoint is preserved, while the exploit of "power-levelling" is somewhat curtailed;
    [*] I would also rather see each world pop up a "Hey, you sure about this" warning for people who are under-levelled for that area, than simply lock them out;
    [*] Quests can still be level-limited, without locking people out of the areas entirely. I would still suggest letting people up to 5 levels below the "expected" time of entry get thsoe quests, though - so a World that expects you to be level 30 ... you can get the quests from there, as soon as level 25.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2008
octagig wrote:
I think it would be a good idea to place level requirements on the worlds, reasonable levels that a person would be at when they reach a new world. Lately I am seeing more and more people taking lower level friends through high level worlds to get them to level up faster.

It just seems like it takes away from the game and isn't really fair to those of us who actually worked to get to where we are. It would also cut back on the number of noobs who teleport in, add an enemy, then leave because it is too overwhelming for them.

I have removed several people from my list for this very reason. I could not even finish a battle without having players randomly teleport to me just to get into Mooshu. I was shocked the first time I teleported to a friend that was in a world I hadn't earned access to yet. I can't count the number of players that aren't even bothering with finishiing wizard city and krokotopia. It's frustrating and annoying at times. Not meaning to, but they have caused me to mess up and even die.
I think if you haven't EARNED the access to a world you shouldn't be able to teleport there. Much less get the quests available and work them. What's the point in building up to the final quest that gains you access to the next world? And yes, sometimes lower level friends might not be able to teleport to you if your in a world they don't have access to, but then that would encourage more teamwork in helping them get there! It really is out of hand and affects the enjoyment of the game.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2008
Okay, THAT I can agree with making level-limited ... or rather, "quest completion limited": you should never gain access to worlds, even areas thereof, that are still "locked" to you when playing alone ... just because a friend is there.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2008
As far as the poll goes, i'd be curious to know how many of the "no" votes were the ones that are teleporting to higher levels to get leveled up. To teleport to someone without first talking to them is inconsiderate. Most of the ones that do this to an annoying degree could care less. As far as having trouble finding help in the level your in, if lower levels are NOT allowed, people within the same level would communicate and work together more - it would encourage teamwork. And if you have a friend who is in a lower level than you are, then motivation for them and for you to HELP them complete the quests that would give them access to that world.
Lower level players have less points required in order to level up. As you go up in levels, points needed to level go up. If you want to work on it you can do bosses in the world you should be in to do so.
People wanting the easy way , personally I'm tired of it, why play the game? Do you hand out all the properties to players when you play Monopoly before ever rolling the dice? Of course not, defeats the challenge of the game. There are rules. It is a process. As should be in Wizard 101. If from the beginning it had been set up to where players could not access the next world until finishing all quests in the world there were in, this wouldn't even be an issue. It would be accepted , known and all would still have fun, still level up, make friends and complete tasks and advance.

Survivor
May 24, 2008
Well, I voted YES.

For one thing, the “world jumps” seem to violate the paradigm of the game. It’s a school, remember? We complete our lessons and learn our spells sequentially, and are intended to progress through the curricula in a more-or-less orderly fashion. An “elementary” Wizard City student should not be playing on the MooShu “college” campus, imo.

I didn’t see many junior wizards when I was in Marleybone – perhaps the complex movement there dissuaded them – but that changed when I got to MooShu. WC and Krok level wizards were running around everywhere, sometimes in groups of 2 or 3. (And, yes, I know how to change servers.) The “jumping into and then fleeing fights” problem has already been commented on, but I also found the constant friend requests to be equally annoying.

So I’m all for a requiring that wizards reach a minimum level before they can teleport to other worlds. It doesn’t even have to be a drastic requirement. Say: Level 12 for Krok, Level 22 for Marleybone, Level 30 for MooShu. (I’m sure the good folk at KI would set the appropriate levels.) That way, friends who are a little lower than you could still come to your aid, but it would stop the more extreme world jumps. How many wizards in MooShu really need help from their WC friends?

And if you have friends that don’t make the level cut, then, in the spirit of education and teamwork, you can always go and “tutor” them in their worlds to help them advance -- instead of the other way around.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2008
Bravo! Very well put Skorp! I think that is a wonderful and fair suggestion that all sides should be able to deal with. Your suggested levels were on target as well. I know the staff reads all posts and I truly hope Scope's is one that you will seriously discuss and take into consideration.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2008
LadyMercury wrote:
As far as the poll goes, i'd be curious to know how many of the "no" votes were the ones that are teleporting to higher levels to get leveled up.

I voted "no", and I keep my friends list empty right now. (Sometimes I say "yes", temporarily - but eventually, clear it back out).

I've teleported to join a friend precisely once - and only to save time, so he didn't have to wait while I trudged all the way across Cyclops Lane (and Olde Towne, and the Shopping District - I had just finished refilling my potion bottle at the Faire, when he asked me to join him).

Survivor
Jul 30, 2008
I must say that I agree with Progenitor -- posting a general level range for an area is, I think, the best solution. This should also be implemented as a pop-up when entering or telelporting to friends in higher level areas, i.e. 'You are currently level 16 and you are about to teleport to an area that is best for players at levels 20-25. Do you still wish to go?'

Having played a number of these games over the years, I am generally opposed to anything that takes control out of the player's hands. If players insist on teleporting to areas way beyond their level, let them -- but warn them first. This would take care of the newer players that are likely not aware of what they are doing.

Also, I agree with what a number of people have said in that lower level friends are still useful in high level areas. I recently helped out a friend in Marleybone despite being only halfway through Krok and not only did I not die, but I was a useful asset as well.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2008
i am not sure about my answer to this

but i will say one thing

if someone wants to jump into a new world and do the quests even if they are not up to them i think that is up to them really. i mean them doing that does not affect others game play in anyway only there own so why are people upset by this?

and also jumping to a higher world and doing the quests is probably actually harder as you are not the right level for those quests, but really i say it is up to the individual as long as it does not effect my game play i do not care! and if people jump to me without asking i tell them to ask and if they do it again i remove them problem solved

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
Actually I think this comes down to people jumping into a battle where the person there gets additional goons, then that person flees, leaving those that were there first to fight a much harder battle.

Grrrr...seems this is happening more and more in the last few weeks.

See I don't flee...even if I die, my friends will bring me back!

Too bad there couldn't be some sort of consequence for fleeing a battle with mana left? That should be easy for a computer program to identify.

What sort of consequence should they get? Lose all their coins? Lose all the stuff in their backpacks?

And take heed, if you are on my friend list, tp to me to find I am in battle, I expect you to stay and help. After that feel free to go your own way.

If you tp in to just leave me with 4 goons instead of 2....I will take that as an agreement to remove you from my friend list....cause friends don't do that!

Survivor
Jun 30, 2008
Cynical wrote:

Too bad there couldn't be some sort of consequence for fleeing a battle with mana left? That should be easy for a computer program to identify.

What sort of consequence should they get? Lose all their coins? Lose all the stuff in their backpacks?

oh no i would not like that at all.

i always ask before jumping
i never flee a battle if i join someone

but sometimes when i am in a hurry and get caught in a battle and have a friend waiting i like to just flee the battle and take a potion then go back and carry on. this option is great and i would not like this choice to be taken away by having consequences for me fleeing a battle i got into by accident on my own

maybe they could have that after you teleport to someone you can not flee for like 1 minute - same way they do when moving realms

Survivor
Jul 30, 2008
I have not had this happen to me very often, people joining a battle and then fleeing, but if it's as big a problem as it seems to be, I'm willing to bet that most of the players fleeing these battles are doing it deliberately (griefing). If that's the case, then blocking lower level players from higher level areas won't solve the problem.

I agree with what someone above said about giving out stricter punishments for fleeing. Yes, there are many legitimate reasons to flee a battle, but if someone is fleeing 5, 10, 20 battles a day, chances are they are doing it on purpose.

A limit could be placed on how many battles you can flee a day without any consequence other than the mana drain, maybe 3? If you flee a battle past your daily limit, you are blocked from re-entering the area you ran away from for an hour or so.

Thoughts?