Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

why does this ALWAYS happen

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 07, 2008
ok so the enemy has a shield right
i beat the amount the shield gaurds with boosts but
when i go to attack the attack is still lower then what it would do with no boosts or shields

if anyone knows what happens there plz tell me here or online

my account #1 person name Malorn Ashthorn Lvl 47 death probably in grizzleheim or dragonspyre find me in last ream on realm list

account #2 name Matthew Lionrunner lvl 3 fire in unicornway

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
2 reasons,

1:They put a lowered attack thing on you

2:The enemy is the element with which you attacked

Hero
May 27, 2009
A shield protects against a percentage of damage, so there is no way you can calculate boosts to exceed the shield protection. Unless you are talking about Spirit Armor, which can be either 400 or 500 depending on which spell was used.

Explorer
Dec 11, 2008
Willowdreamer wrote:
A shield protects against a percentage of damage, so there is no way you can calculate boosts to exceed the shield protection. Unless you are talking about Spirit Armor, which can be either 400 or 500 depending on which spell was used.

Sure you can.

Maybe not against shields, since they have a -80%, but when someone puts a weakness on you, you can beat the -25% damage with a blade and a trap.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Willowdreamer wrote:

absorb is life school spell 400, spirit armor is treasure card 500

Hero
May 27, 2009
IxionInc wrote:
Willowdreamer wrote:

Sure you can.

Maybe not against shields, since they have a -80%, but when someone puts a weakness on you, you can beat the -25% damage with a blade and a trap.

Well, yeah, a Weakness, but the guy said shield... There is no way your attack can overcome a shield TOTALLY, which is what he wanted to do.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
Percents can be confusing. If the enemy puts a -25% weakness spell on you and then you cast a +25% blade, you did not just cancel out their weakness. 100 damage -25% = 75 +25% only = 93.75 damage, you are still behind.

Even more extreme, to get through a -80% school shield, 100 - 80% = 20 damage. Adding another 80% back with blades or traps is only a pathetic 36 damage. to get through an 80% shield you need a whopping 500% damage boost to get back just to 100 damage.

You are far better off trying to get past the shield another way, like with a wand or a prism.