Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Prodigy or bully?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 22, 2010
Everyone has seen it. There are more than just a few of them now, Of course I'm referring to characters in the level range of 2-5 or so using high-powered treasure cards (Such as Wild Bolt.) against low leveled opponents in ranked matches to easily sweep the game.

My only question is how anyone can think this is fair? The post about how the ranked matchmaking system works states that players are matched based on rank and level. This would normally be fine, The higher rank you achieved the higher the level difference will get between you and your opponent. But when you factor in these "Twinks" (Forgive my WoW teriminology) the system gets a bit skewed.

Using a wild bolt, a level 3 character can defeat a level 20 character in the second round of the duel. It's too sad to call it a strategy. Jump in the duel, Discard whole first hand, draw sideboard, wait one round, cast wild bolt. If it hits you win! If it fizzles... Discard whole hand, draw sideboard, and cast again.

Please understand that Wild Bolt is just the best example because it's the most popular card to abuse in this way. A low level slinging level 40 trainable spells shouldn't happen, no matter what spell is in question.

Arena should be limited to the spells your character has trained. Treasure should be reserved for PvE only.

I think this would vastly improve the arena.

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
I can't agree with you more!

I happen to be storm. . . But I hate that spell because it only has 10% accuaracy! My freind wanted me to make some for her, but I said no beacause I consider that cheating!

Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
This isn't fair. I think most would agree that PvP is broken at the lower levels. Questing up to level 16 alleviates this to a large extent if you know what you are doing. At that point, you will have more hit points and storm and tower shields. Your biggest problem then becomes surviving one shots like amplified Judgement.

My experience is that you can get deep into Overlord (1300+) with a level 25-30 wizard without the use of spells you can't cast on your own. I still use my sideboard, but never to cast spells I haven't trained.

Defender
Jul 01, 2008
Not a prodigy. And not a bully.

Why don't you just shield against bolts?

People pay to use treasures; they pay people of higher levels to make cards for them. They pay a price to PvP using treasures. It's simply their choice.

They could wait until level 48 till they learn every spell they can from their school. If they choose not to, then of course they can use treasure versions of spells they aren't high enough level for.

Once you use a treasure, it's gone. To keep up with having enough treasure cards costs gold. They paid for it, you can't tell them no.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
ok... heres what you do. Turn one: you cast a storm shield (if you don't have it just get a treasure card). Turn 2: they wand it down then YOU bolt THEM. Turn 3: BOOM 1000 damage out of the blue and you win.
Sure, I know it requires luck but so does their wild bolt require luck. You could also do something like this with kraken so you have a better hope of hitting.
I hope this helps!

Explorer
May 22, 2009
Dude I totally agree. I actually feel bad! When ever I do PvP it's all these maguses and masters (The team I'm on) against all these journeyman and lower! I mean I like winning but it's better when your against other people as strong as you. Also I just get mad when the other team get's way too confident!

Christopher Battlehunter level 38 Prymancer

Explorer
May 22, 2009
When I was a adept I use to go against these magus and master people. They would use storm lord and knock us all out! Now I am level 38 almost a master. Sometimes my teams do this too, I feel bad for the other team because they die from a spell that isn't even that fair. Just think, you can use it whenever, it hits a ton and can get you a win. I always saw Storm Lord as a bigger threat than Wild bolt. There is pros and cons to making treausure cards in PvP illegal. A pro would be you wouldn't be hurt as bad and the game would be more fair. A con would be that all higher wizards would get mad and complain. I have to admit, I have a storm lord and I did before use unfair treasure cards in PvP. Maybe next time I'll try to remember that it may not be fair.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2010
Slushie3704 wrote:

People pay to use treasures; they pay people of higher levels to make cards for them. They pay a price to PvP using treasures. It's simply their choice.

They could wait until level 48 till they learn every spell they can from their school. If they choose not to, then of course they can use treasure versions of spells they aren't high enough level for.

Once you use a treasure, it's gone. To keep up with having enough treasure cards costs gold. They paid for it, you can't tell them no.

But that is more or less my point. The choice to pay gold in order to win in PvP shouldn't be there. If there is going to be PvP, why shouldn't it be based on the skill of the two players alone, and not who has farmed whatever random boss the most to get treasure cards.

I find it cheapens the whole experience considerably.

Survivor
Apr 09, 2009
I understand the sentiment, I loathe that style personally, but support it's use in the game. The other day a level 19 friend and I (level 20) faced off against dual healers around level 29-31. Their strategy was simple: heal, heal, and heal, burn them out, demoralize them, run them out of cards. It was obvious there was not enough actual damage cards in their deck to take us down, and due to our levels, our damage potential did not exceed their ability to heal and cross revive each other- even though we had several infections to throw their way.

While he prefers not to bolt, my partner was able to get off a bolt to save the day. Wild Bolt was the only option availible to resolve the battle before dawn Lets not forget that there are many troublesome deck styles and in some cases one cheap trick can be used to nullify the other. It's a wash.

Explorer
May 22, 2009
SpookyTaco wrote:
Slushie3704 wrote:

But that is more or less my point. The choice to pay gold in order to win in PvP shouldn't be there. If there is going to be PvP, why shouldn't it be based on the skill of the two players alone, and not who has farmed whatever random boss the most to get treasure cards.

I find it cheapens the whole experience considerably.

Listen. It's a spell. Sure it's not fair sometimes but in PvP it's also about if you can stratagize well. If someone likes to stratagize by using one of their best spells they can. If they want to spend some of their gold on treasure cards they can. They can spend it on whatever they like. I agree with you that it is all not that fair but it's sort of saying to someone that they can't use their best spell in their deck. Just because it's a treasure card it is still a normal spell, it is still in a normal deck, it still uses normal mana and normal pips so it is just a normal spell that people are gonna use. I agree that it's not fair but I don't know what level you are but when you get into high levels you will probably find your self doing it too. Sometimes don't you just get anxious to learn a new spell but you can't yet? Alot of people do and they buy treasure cards.

Survivor
May 28, 2009
Survivor
Nov 27, 2009
tell you what you could do make your own storm wizard level it to 33 get the bolt and play the same game.. get a few towers , treasure storm shields or just put a few point in ice for both, as well as go to fairground and get a storm shield problem solved. love to see someone bolt you with a -80% storm shield

Defender
Nov 25, 2009
I think it's childish for high lvl people to complain about low lvl people using high lvl cards. We have way more health and therefore can survive. Try to think of it from their point of view...

You'r a low lvl wizard who wants to have fun in the arena. You get in and OH SORROW! You'r stuck fighting some grandmaster. What else can you do than use treasures? If you use your own spells the dude is gonna call you a "noob" anyway, so why not at least have a chance?

Now think of it this way...
You'r a grandmaster and have 2,050 health. Some low lvl person uses Ice Colossus on you. Think it's unfair? It's not like that would take you out or anything, and you have better spells anyway. SO STOP BEING SELFISH AND LET THEM USE TREASURES IN PEACE!
If I insulted anyone, I am sorry.
I dont want to make anyone mad or anything, but you really need to stop and think about what you'r saying.

Destiny Dragoncoin lvl 42 balance

Chose the high road. You only live once and can't undo what is done.