Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Just wondering

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
I have open chat and try to be patient with those with menu chat only. As a rule I am, but it may be simpler just to avoid them. For instance, if you say something that requires a yes or no annswer why do most reply with " sorry I dont have open chat"?

I have a few on my friends list and they will start wanting me to port, and when I do, they are in a common area. No fight, not near a dungeon, no oblivious reason for needing help. One yesterday called me and when I arrived and asked what was up, I got the "don't have open" reply. Finally they said "I'll follow you." To where I had no idea! I deleted them.

Had one begging me to port. Was entering the Lothin dungeon so the reason was oblious. We went in, started fighting, they would pass. Then a' I need healing." They wound up with 12 pips. Never healed, sheilded, attacked. When asked about that during the fight, I got the "sorry I dont have open chat." I left and deleted them.

Would love to understand the reasons for this kind of stuff though. Please share yourm thoughts.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Apparently you don't understand the difference between Open Chat, Text Chat, and Menu Chat.

Menu Chat (symbol by their name of a chat balloon in a red circle with a red diagonal slash through it): They can only see and respond to preselected phrases from the Chat Menu. If you're texting them, they cannot see it. You must converse ONLY through the Chat Menu. This is why you keep getting those "Sorry, I don't have Text Chat" responses.

Text Chat (symbol by their name of a chat balloon): This is the standard chat. Numbers cannot be seen by Text Chat people. Yellow type cannot be seen by Text Chat people.

Open Chat (no symbol at all): Other than words in red type (primarily cursing), no restrictions.

So, while you may have Open Chat, you need to keep in mind the Chat type of the person your are corresponding with.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
Thank you, you cleared some things up. For me, the open and text means same basically.

I was under the misconception that menu chat people could read what all was being said, but could only use menu chat to respond. My grandson who got me hooked on Wizards had assured me that he could see everything. Course you dont know what you are missing if you cant see it.

He now has open chat so he can talk to his friends and loves it.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2008
actually your wrong open chat doenst mean you can curse you can but if you get reported you start whinning and another thing some kids lie about there age so they can get open chat.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
Apparently you don't understand the difference between Open Chat, Text Chat, and Menu Chat.

Menu Chat (symbol by their name of a chat balloon in a red circle with a red diagonal slash through it): They can only see and respond to preselected phrases from the Chat Menu. If you're texting them, they cannot see it. You must converse ONLY through the Chat Menu. This is why you keep getting those "Sorry, I don't have Text Chat" responses.

Text Chat (symbol by their name of a chat balloon): This is the standard chat. Numbers cannot be seen by Text Chat people. Yellow type cannot be seen by Text Chat people.

Open Chat (no symbol at all): Other than words in red type (primarily cursing), no restrictions.

So, while you may have Open Chat, you need to keep in mind the Chat type of the person your are corresponding with.

thx 4 explaining, i didn't know what the difference between text and open chat was.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
Open Chat allows players a more open communication environment with other players.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to provide this for our active Subscriber community only. This chat will be filtered for profanity.

Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
well i just want to say on record that sometimes SOMETIMES that menu chat can make a weird situation like onetime i was in the commons because i was bored so this non chatter player comes up and says the menu chat things such as hi an then kept laughing so nothing mean its just that it sometimes just makes a weird moment

brian spiritgiver lvl 22 life

Survivor
May 23, 2009
Since this is under the title of "just wondering"
I was curious if anyone could spare 5k crowns so i could get storm hound. I have 9.5k and need 5k more which is only $10....
If anyone could add me that would be great, name is haley mistrider. I'm in the commons.

lvl 50 GRANDMASTER LIFE

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
heartwalker1 wrote:
actually your wrong open chat doenst mean you can curse you can but if you get reported you start whinning and another thing some kids lie about there age so they can get open chat.

No they don't. To get open chat one must be a subscriber, be 18+ and have a valid credit card on file with KI. In a family account the parent can activate parental controls. My kids and I use one account. I chose to have open chat. I think the kids you see with open chat are like mine using it with parental permission.

I am always present when my kids play. They don't abuse it. If they did they would suffer the consequences. They also only play with my adult friends.

Megan F