Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Completing Katzenstein's Lab.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 25, 2010
Several times I have tried to finish this but every time it is many hours wasted because people always quit. They never stop messing up bad either. They are in a rush to do everything, getting to close and always getting snagged into a fight that wastes resources.

I have wasted a great many hours on this.

Plus they do stupid things like inviting other people in and if I die I cannot get back in because of the extra people and it's tough luck charlie like hey were not partners getting through this quest anymore when they agreed that was the deal in the first place.

I can pick my way through there patiently far quicker than anyone else can fight their way through.

I can do almost everything up to the end, I can't beat the Doctor who has 2000 health plus his helper and asking for help on freinds list has no value because even though I am the only one there it says it is a full dungeon.

Plus, real strange, people appear out of nowhere in there when they did not port to me or enter the dungeon with me and they are not supposed to be there unless they did one of those two. These strangers purposely foul things up.

Plus there is one chimney I cannot find regardless how much I try.

I certainly don't need help from someone on a horse because as a character they are far wider thus setting off the alarm bells of the bad guys and that reduces and already narrow safe zone. I don't even navigate through there with my broom or pet that extends away from me.

How can I find someone competent and dependable who can live without a mount and pet long enough to work through this quest together that will actually finish and not constantly get caught up in street fights?

There is only two ways I can do this myself, wait until my level is high enough to beat the 2000 health Doctor and his helper along with complete quest instructions off of the internet.

These dungeon mechanics need a lot of work (people can to easily manipulate the situation or outright interfere) and should be locked out to all players who did not enter it TOGETHER who would obviously have a serious plan to finish, quit or die in the effort.

Three days and MANY hours I have wasted on this.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Please do not take any offense at this, but:

Pick better friends

Ask the people who are helping you to turn off Allow Friend Porting for the durection of the dungeon.

The chimneys are easy to find (look for the smoke). On your way to the Lab, the street splits and makes a square, one can be found if you go right, one is in a cul-de-sac, another is actually off the street on an adjacent building's rooftop accessible by a plank.

Don't tell us not to have our mounts or pets equipped if you want our help. I for one am quite capable of navigating past the high-speed clockworks while mounted.

Build a better deck strategy. Plus, there is a necklace you can buy in Krokotopia that gives 3 Storm shield cards(85%). That's 3 extra shields for Storm you can have and they don't take any room in your deck.

Take your time, use your markers (hint: set them at Watson before going to fight Firegut and Clanker, and before you port back to Watson teleport to the commons and grab the mana wisps, let the safezone heal you up -- do NOT play the mini-games, then port back to Watson. Set a marker before you fight Katzenstein. Attack and kill the helper first ... if you kill him before you die, he will be gone when you port back to your marker leaving only the doctor to face while you have full health and mana.)

Each and every one of my wizards that have done Katz Lab have done it solo, and that includes fighting Smogger.

Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
There's a simple answer to this: MINIONS. :D Just buy some crowns and use the minions. They worked for me, I finished katz. lab and counterweight east and west, all on 5 dollars worth of crowns. It worked for me, it may work for you.

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
Preacher7719 wrote:
Please do not take any offense at this, but:

Pick better friends

I have found no quest guide to get through this and your advice to choose better friends is pretty much out in left field.

This is a video game on the internet. You are dealing with perfect strangers. It is impossible to know whether they are dependable, irresponsible or will bring enemies into a fight and then run.

Blaming the victim is an all to common mentality in this world anymore so by your insinuation that I cannot get this quest done because I failed to pick better friends is in error and discredits me personally.

This specific scenario is not about a persons ability to choose friends, it is about dealing with perfect strangers and when that is the situation it isn't about ones ability to judge character it is about potluck. Look that up in the dictionary, in this context of not being able to choose based upon any available criteria, it means you just have to settle for what comes along.

So, don't blame me when others fail because I'm not the one that failed, they did.

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
nerty wrote:
There's a simple answer to this: MINIONS. :D Just buy some crowns and use the minions. They worked for me, I finished katz. lab and counterweight east and west, all on 5 dollars worth of crowns. It worked for me, it may work for you.

I will have to wait until payday to do that but no doubt I will (currently the black fairy minion and has to be the biggest fail in the game since mostly all she does is spend 10 rounds putting shields all over herself and passes until you are dead, lol) plus I want to get a broom and some equipment with better stats.

I have always despised any game function that requires a group effort with strangers because in most cases you are dealing with people who do not even care anyway just like in a dungeon they do not even care about the story line by clicking through it all and running to the next boss and then demanding that you hurry up. It ruins the plot and the story because when the quest is done any ability to review the record is gone with the wind and then you have to go look it up somewhere.

Almost 100% of people are like that in a dungeon, they don't care about the story line or the game, they just want XP to level again.

Plus they have done the quest dozens of times, you better stay on their heels by ignoring all story lines and conversations or they will get even by fleeing leaving you hopelessly stuck.

It is an insidious form of control that ruins it for everybody.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2010
I try to friend everyone in the group, so I can port to them if I get left behind or need to refill health/mana.

I also friend everyone who sends me a friends request - I never know when I'm gonna need help, and the more friends I make, the more likely someone will be online and not busy when I call them for help. That means I'm also obliged to help them... but hey, more exp and item drops for me!

It's a good idea to keep track of who you can trust in a quest and who tends to flake on you. That way you can help the helpful ones, and refuse help to the flakes. Do that often enough and they'll learn to either be more dependable or not ask you for help. Of course, that means you have to be dependable yourself - you CANNOT flake on others. Let them know if you need to flee a battle to refill, or you need to log off cos your mom is giving you the stinkeye, or whatever.

Another thing I can suggest is to go to Grizzleheim and do some of the quests to gain a few levels. When you go back to Marleybone, it won't be as hard to complete the dungeons.

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
I believe its possible to port to your friends in the dungeon you go inside it to port.

Just enter the dungeon and port, you should port to your friend.

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
Angelocean wrote:
I believe its possible to port to your friends in the dungeon you go inside it to port.

Just enter the dungeon and port, you should port to your friend.

Not always. People will use you to get dungeon access, two people go in the correct way, they call a friend to port in after the fact without even asking or telling you, they set you up to die (I am currently documenting how easy this to kill those on your side of a fight in an effort to get KI to change this to prevent it), you are out and cannot get back in because dungeon is full because two went in and two are there.

It is malicious.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2009
jaronuts wrote:
Several times I have tried to finish this but every time it is many hours wasted because people always quit. They never stop messing up bad either. They are in a rush to do everything, getting to close and always getting snagged into a fight that wastes resources.

I have wasted a great many hours on this.

Plus they do stupid things like inviting other people in and if I die I cannot get back in because of the extra people and it's tough luck charlie like hey were not partners getting through this quest anymore when they agreed that was the deal in the first place.

I can pick my way through there patiently far quicker than anyone else can fight their way through.

I can do almost everything up to the end, I can't beat the Doctor who has 2000 health plus his helper and asking for help on freinds list has no value because even though I am the only one there it says it is a full dungeon.

Plus, real strange, people appear out of nowhere in there when they did not port to me or enter the dungeon with me and they are not supposed to be there unless they did one of those two. These strangers purposely foul things up.

Plus there is one chimney I cannot find regardless how much I try.

I certainly don't need help from someone on a horse because as a character they are far wider thus setting off the alarm bells of the bad guys and that reduces and already narrow safe zone. I don't even navigate through there with my broom or pet that extends away from me.

How can I find someone competent and dependable who can live without a mount and pet long enough to work through this quest together that will actually finish and not constantly get caught up in street fights?

There is only two ways I can do this myself, wait until my level is high enough to beat the 2000 health Doctor and his helper along with complete quest instructions off of the internet.

These dungeon mechanics need a lot of work (people can to easily manipulate the situation or outright interfere) and should be locked out to all players who did not enter it TOGETHER who would obviously have a serious plan to finish, quit or die in the effort.

Three days and MANY hours I have wasted on this.

no offense, but i completed it in 3 min tops, and it was pretty easy for me and i'm onlt level 30

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
soccerocks99 wrote:
no offense, but i completed it in 3 min tops, and it was pretty easy for me and i'm onlt level 30

The offense is that you actually expect me to believe that you did Katzenstein's Lab quest in 3 minutes.

You really should give your readers considerably more credit because the idea of doing Katzenstein's Lab quest in 3 minutes, I wholeheartedly allege, is a physical impossibility, for any level Mage.

That is all I could possibly say in response to that.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2009
i finished all the low level guys and when i got to the door it said to go back and the lighted signs would open it so i went back to the beggining and went back and light the four i found and it didnt open i sat there for ever can anyone tell me what the correct code for that is