Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Parent wants to know: stopping point

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
Okay guys, please teach this parent.

Let's say that I announce to my kiddos that "dinner will be ready in 10 minutes - please find a stopping point in the game."

Is this a reasonable and do-able request, or are there places where one just cannot stop?

And is it true that if you are in the dungeon, you've been warned that you cannot exit? Is there any possible way to stop the game without losing whatever it is you have gained?

Ugh.
A very frustrated mom,
Thank you in advance of your help

Administrator
I hope I can answer your questions.

A player can exit the game at any time.

If they are in a dungeon, they are given a warning that they will need to start the dungeon all over again if they log off.

HOWEVER

When they first enter that dungeon, they are also given a warning of approximately how long it will take them to complete that dungeon.

A player is fully aware when they first enter a dungeon of how long it is expected to take them, and can plan accordingly.

Hope this helps.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Gamma wrote:
I hope I can answer your questions.

A player can exit the game at any time.

If they are in a dungeon, they are given a warning that they will need to start the dungeon all over again if they log off.

HOWEVER

When they first enter that dungeon, they are also given a warning of approximately how long it will take them to complete that dungeon.

A player is fully aware when they first enter a dungeon of how long it is expected to take them, and can plan accordingly.

Hope this helps.

While this IS true Gamma, I also hope to help. I find when I need to leave the computer for a bit and I am in a Dungeon, I find that going to a nice little corner and pressing Num Lock button lets you keep running forward without touching a button, I also know there is another button but I can not currently remember it

Survivor
Nov 25, 2009
you can exit the dungeon but if youre gone to long all your progress will be lost. i normally have a friend helping me and after their gone or all my friends are gone, i really cant defeat a boss os i just log out

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Dear very frustrated mom,

Gamma has given you the information, but a bit more:
Suggestion one: As most of the dungeons through the first 50% of the game take an hour or less, a warning of an hour ahead not to start a dungeon would solve most problems.
Suggestion two: Suggest they tackle side quests, going to the stores, fixing up the houses they own, etc Most of these can be done in sections.
Suggestion three: Why not play a character yourself. Things go faster with two working on the challenges and gives you a feel on the timing.

Survivor
May 25, 2009
Just a friendly warning about the suggestion that you play a character yourself. I did that to gain a better understanding of what my son was talking about when he made comments about not wanting to stop to come to dinner, etc. Also he said "Mom, if you want me to hurry you could make a wizard and help me!" There was an ulterior motive behind his request. I believe he knew how much I would love this game.
Thus the 2 subscriptions, crown purchases and gift card purchases!
And now he is the one asking me to log to cook his dinner and we've had more take out in the last 6 months than his first 13 years altogether! I have had to limit my playing to helping him when necessary and logging on after he has retired for the night, in the necessity of providing good nutritious meals! I have to say we have a huge amount of fun questing together and have met many families that credit this game for providing more family time than they ever had before.
Sign me,
WATCH OUT IT IS ADDICTIVE!
Elizabeth Dreamweaver - Grandmaster Sorcerer (He was perturbed when I Grandmastered before he did!)

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
Well, thank you to everyone. I have two children who play here and they enjoy it very much. It's hard to know how to help them, especially the younger of the two, when something about the game becomes frustrating.

As a parent, it would be nice to have some sort of way to have the younger ones exit the dungeon without penalty. After all, an hour playing on a computer is quite a different amount of time for a 9 year old than it is for someone who's 14; but I didn't come here to try and alter the game. I just wanted some of the scoop, which all of you have provided. So *thank you* to all of you for each piece of advice.

Not as frustrated... :)

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
Gamma,

I must politely disagree with you.

You said, "When they first enter that dungeon, they are also given a warning of approximately how long it will take them to complete that dungeon"

I have been in many a dungeon and no where have I ever seen any stated time or approximate time limit stated regardless of whether I have the warning turned on or off.

It says there is a time limit but what is lacking is the actual time span of that limit.

Defender
May 30, 2009
Unless I am wrong, the first "big" dungeon you have to do is Sunken City. It plainly states in the beginning that this dungeon take approximately X-amount of time to complete. If you have turned it off at this dungeon or some other one that has this pop-up, then you will not see the message show up.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
jaronuts wrote:
Gamma,

I must politely disagree with you.

You said, "When they first enter that dungeon, they are also given a warning of approximately how long it will take them to complete that dungeon"

I have been in many a dungeon and no where have I ever seen any stated time or approximate time limit stated regardless of whether I have the warning turned on or off.

It says there is a time limit but what is lacking is the actual time span of that limit.

That just means you are not paying attention, because I have always seen it, up until I finally tell it to not warn me anymore.