Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ruthless, Cruel, and most importantly, mean

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
Okay, so my storm wizard: Rachel Rainhaven, has a really good deck set up for pvp. I'm not saying I can't loose, but it's very unlikely. Since I just started to pvp on her, I've been running into the SAME balance wizard twice! Now comes the same OLD story: balance is unfair, no, that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is that a whole lot of balance wizards are quite mean. When I beat them they quite often call me 'noob'. I know they are just baiting me into getting into a fight, but I can't resist sometimes, especially when I won really quickly. ( With triton :-D )

Really, the most people that seem to call their opponent names are: Balance, Ice, and (sometimes) storm. Mainly, I think, they have such a strong pride for what they are doing that they get really upset when they loose, but that's still not an excuse for being mean.

I, personally, do not disapprove of wild bolt treasure cards, but when they are used repetively it really gets on my nerves. I know "it can be avoided by using a shield" but sometimes they cast wild bolt on the first turn, and that's quite annoying.

Personally, I think it's not that balance uses judgment to much or storm bolts to much or even ice shields to much, it's mainly the hurt feelings that people get when they loose.

How could this problem be resolved? I've been trying to compliment people after the battle by saying 'your a tough opponent' or something like that, but most of the time they just teleport away. Any ideas?

Jennifer Angleweaver level 49 Thaumaturge
Rachel Rainhaven level 43 Diviner

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
Penguin4ever wrote:
Okay, so my storm wizard: Rachel Rainhaven, has a really good deck set up for pvp. I'm not saying I can't loose, but it's very unlikely. Since I just started to pvp on her, I've been running into the SAME balance wizard twice! Now comes the same OLD story: balance is unfair, no, that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is that a whole lot of balance wizards are quite mean. When I beat them they quite often call me 'noob'.

Are you basing this on the ONE balance wizard, or on a bunch of us?

Penguin4ever wrote:
I know they are just baiting me into getting into a fight, but I can't resist sometimes, especially when I won really quickly. ( With triton :-D )

Really, the most people that seem to call their opponent names are: Balance, Ice, and (sometimes) storm. Mainly, I think, they have such a strong pride for what they are doing that they get really upset when they loose, but that's still not an excuse for being mean.

You are correct about both pride in what they do, and possibly baiting you. You are also correct that they should not be mean, but people are mean.

Penguin4ever wrote:
I, personally, do not disapprove of wild bolt treasure cards, but when they are used repetively it really gets on my nerves. I know "it can be avoided by using a shield" but sometimes they cast wild bolt on the first turn, and that's quite annoying.

Personally, I think it's not that balance uses judgment to much or storm bolts to much or even ice shields to much, it's mainly the hurt feelings that people get when they loose.

How could this problem be resolved? I've been trying to compliment people after the battle by saying 'your a tough opponent' or something like that, but most of the time they just teleport away. Any ideas?

To begin with, try not to accuse ALL of a class of players based on a few of them. At last count there were several million unique players on this game. To base your broad stroke of "Balance wizards are mean" on just a few of them, when you are admittedly new to PvP, is not fair, kind or nice in and of itself.

As to the larger question of how to resolve it. You can not. People have tried since the dawn of civilization to bring about polite and respectful interactions. That is, in part, the point of civilization.

Parenting is a large part of the attitudes, but also you have to realize something very basic. The Internet, as a large public network, is only about 15 years old. It was about 1995 when AOL and Compuserve granted access to their members to the Internet and began the process of large numbers of people being able to access the Internet. As such, the social mores and standards have developed slowly over time. In the "real world", there are consequences for bad or impolite behavior, usually from your parents. In an on-line environment where you are largely anonymous, it is very difficult to impose negative consequences for bad behavior.

The answer is for more people to be polite, to be nice, and to shun those who are not. Over time, those who are not polite will leave or change. In the interim, develop a "thicker skin", try not to generalize, and realize that if this is their behavior here, than they will most likely behave that way in the "real world" and suffer the consequences for that behavior then.

Wolf Spellslinger
Grandmaster Balance

Survivor
May 25, 2009
i am a level 45 ice wizard and i dont get mad at people in the arena but i do not like it when they say ice is weak cause it has no good spells.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
This was my first couple trys on my storm wizard, and I have faced many different people on my ICE wizard. I wouldn't be posting this if my storm wizard was my first pvp player.

I was not directing this towards just balance wizards, I didn't put them in any special type of order, I was just saying those are the people I see calling others names the most. I have had a whole lot of people after I pvp whisper to me, constantly annoying me, those happen to fall into the catagory of balance, ice, and storm. I'm not trying to say that those are the only schools who do it, but I'm trying to point this out to other people and hoping to stop others who do insult other people.

I do agree, Jet, it is very annoying when people call ice spells weak. The thing is, we have a lot of defence and they dont, we have very high boosts, but few schools don't.

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
Penguin4ever wrote:
Okay, so my storm wizard: Rachel Rainhaven, has a really good deck set up for pvp. I'm not saying I can't loose, but it's very unlikely. Since I just started to pvp on her, I've been running into the SAME balance wizard twice! Now comes the same OLD story: balance is unfair, no, that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is that a whole lot of balance wizards are quite mean. When I beat them they quite often call me 'noob'. I know they are just baiting me into getting into a fight, but I can't resist sometimes, especially when I won really quickly. ( With triton :-D )

lol i remember the day i got triton it was on at the arena its a great spell first off i feel most balance have a big haed thinking they cant be stopped with judgment and the shields and all and it hurts to see a lower lvl storm beat them to me i say gg and if its a really good fight them maybe great game thats all you can do no matter win or lose and your always gonna get hateful people that are mad i have seen many teams turn on themselfs in a fight and start fighting i know right thats crazy but true all i can say really is be nice have fun and block the mean people from talking to you and dont let what they say get to you scot deathhammer grandmasters storm fire balance myth noobs ice and life

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
just dont mind them! letting them get to you will make them do it some more. it's just like bully's or teaseing if you dont over react and that they will get bored of it and stop bothering you! if it keeps happening but gets worse then you can report them for being mean or rude. ;)

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
I have a lvl 30 balance warlord, and when I lose, I actually congratulate people on it. I don't lose too often, but when I do, I have to realize my mistake, and fix the problem so that next time, I have another leg up on the opponent. Being a level 30 warlord though, I do not have much health, and most people I face are level 45-50.

People need to realize that they are not invulnerable and they are prone to losing. Losing is part of the game, if no one ever lost, no one would ever win. You got to approach your loss from another direction and take it positively rather than negatively.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
Penguin4ever wrote:

You can not base all balance wizards on one persons personality there are a lot of people like that and the can be storm,fire, death, and etc. it does not matter what school they are in it is how there personality is.

Administrator
Young Wizard.
Under Options [press ESC on your keyboard] is the ability to hide your opponent's Chat in Player vs Player combat.

If you have this option enabled, during a PvP duel:
-> Anything you type cannot be seen by your opponents, but can be seen by your teammates and spectators.
-> Anything your opponents type you can’t see, but can be seen by their teammates and spectators.
-> All Menu Chat can be seen by everyone.

You can change this setting at any time, including during a PvP duel, but it will not take affect until the next turn.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
Gamma wrote:
Young Wizard.
Under Options [press ESC on your keyboard] is the ability to hide your opponent's Chat in Player vs Player combat.

If you have this option enabled, during a PvP duel:
-> Anything you type cannot be seen by your opponents, but can be seen by your teammates and spectators.
-> Anything your opponents type you can’t see, but can be seen by their teammates and spectators.
-> All Menu Chat can be seen by everyone.

You can change this setting at any time, including during a PvP duel, but it will not take affect until the next turn.

Gamma you do have a huge point but they might private message you and be mean to you that way some how. if that happens just turn off friend requests until they are away. if they ask you though i'd decline but its your choice.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
sar82 wrote:
i feel most balance have a big haed thinking they cant be stopped with judgment and the shields and all

scot deathhammer grandmasters storm fire balance myth noobs ice and life

i'm kinda trying my hand at reading whats going on in ppls minds when they post. correct me if i'm wrong.

ok first, u urself think balance = tougher. second, u r kinda envious of the balance boosts + shields. third, u probably had recently (as in earlier that day) faced a balance guy in pvp with a big head and had that in ur head as u posted. fourth, ur trend conscious - u c a ton of ppl whaling on balance, so u do 2. and finally, u dont no any balance guys well, or u'd c that big-headedness is the exception, not the norm.

how'd i do, sar82?

ps yes i have a balance he was my first guy and yes he knows judgement

Defender
Nov 25, 2009
First of all, please dont say balance wizards are mean just because of the one guy.

Second, getting into a fight makes you just as bad as them. If they get upset because you won, why do you care? They are just being childish and if they can't be good sports they dont deserve to win.

Third, don't tell them that. lol

Fourth, they might stay to talk after the battle if you compliment them when you are fighting.

Keep dueling and have fun even if you lose.

Destiny Dragoncoin lvl 42 balance. Secondary is ice.

Have a nice day and don't let people bother you.
No one should be treated like a jerk just because they won.

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
FoxFyr wrote:
sar82 wrote:
i feel most balance have a big haed thinking they cant be stopped with judgment and the shields and all

scot deathhammer grandmasters storm fire balance myth noobs ice and life

i'm kinda trying my hand at reading whats going on in ppls minds when they post. correct me if i'm wrong.

ok first, u urself think balance = tougher. second, u r kinda envious of the balance boosts + shields. third, u probably had recently (as in earlier that day) faced a balance guy in pvp with a big head and had that in ur head as u posted. fourth, ur trend conscious - u c a ton of ppl whaling on balance, so u do 2. and finally, u dont no any balance guys well, or u'd c that big-headedness is the exception, not the norm.

how'd i do, sar82?

ps yes i have a balance he was my first guy and yes he knows judgement
rofl no you got it all wrong i had not been in a fight that day i dont really do to many 1v1 but i do on my balance its a good school no lie in that but 96% of balance think judgment makes them so great and i feel there is more to balance then judgment i didnt mean to sound hateful over judgment i just think the book in krock is right about balance and there are many balance that should read that one a time or 2

scot deathhammer grandmaster fire warlord
scot deathhammer grandmaster storm warlord x 2
scot deathhammer grandmaster balance warlord
morgrim grandmaster myth warlord x 2 <----- lets get a balance in the ring
scot deathhammer lvl 26 ice warlord
kane life noob

Historian
May 15, 2009
Yea i understand how you feel i mean i cant tell u how many times i get one hit with someone with a high accuracy wild bolt treasure first turn who has amped up their storm damage by crazy amount

but i got a storm shield and that ended very quick
because it doesnt always work plus i have really amped up ym storm defense so instead of taking 1000 i take around 750-832

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
Ok, thank you KI for the ability to block PvP chat during a duel. However, after the duel is over, I dont appreciate being called (pick something that i cant say here)

And if i take the high road, and give the GG response, the rudest people ever can right click on my name in the chat window and continue to curse at me that way.

I report, and report, and report but pls, why are people allowed to get away with this?

I enjoy the game and all it options alot, but sometimes i wont join friends or even go into a PvP match because of this.