Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why is Sunken City so hard!?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
I went to Sunken City,and it said "This will take an average 90 minutes alone" (that isn't exactly what it said). I'm guessing it's not to much easier with friends.But WHY exactly am I fighting three 500 health ghosts for someone's (who doesn't even really exsist Ishould add) report! Why cant't she get her own grub or whatever!? Can't it be easier? Just atweak!?

Survivor
Oct 17, 2009
Souljacker233 wrote:
I went to Sunken City,and it said "This will take an average 90 minutes alone" (that isn't exactly what it said). I'm guessing it's not to much easier with friends.But WHY exactly am I fighting three 500 health ghosts for someone's (who doesn't even really exsist Ishould add) report! Why cant't she get her own grub or whatever!? Can't it be easier? Just a tweak!?

Sometimes I agree. Sunken City is hard. And I think the most ridiculous part is only 30 XP is offered. This doesn't even begin my 8K XP needs. Just wait until you are level 30 or higher and try sunken city with Level 30 or higher friends, and also have a good LIFE wizard with you. Healing will always come in handy.
Hope this info is useful!
~ :) Joshua RavenHammer :) ~ Level 25 or higher Pyromancer ~

PS: Also look at https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/1948.ftl if you haven't already. (I know that isn't a link)

Survivor
Nov 12, 2009
A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Souljacker233 wrote:
I went to Sunken City,and it said "This will take an average 90 minutes alone" (that isn't exactly what it said). I'm guessing it's not to much easier with friends.But WHY exactly am I fighting three 500 health ghosts for someone's (who doesn't even really exsist Ishould add) report! Why cant't she get her own grub or whatever!? Can't it be easier? Just atweak!?

It is not a main-line quest nor a spell-quest area (except for life), so most never have to go in there. If they do, they need to realize it is more difficult, less XP, etc. Just hold off, do it after you are done with Krok, etc, and it is easy to do by yourself. For the life lvl 38 spell, you are required to go in, and it should be a walk-through by then.

Explorer
Nov 01, 2009
Actually part of the key to Sunken City is this....you need to be careful in your approach to it. Firstly I always make sure I unequip my mount before going in. There are several spots in the instance where it is programmed to suck you off the sidewalk into battle but that can be avoided if you are careful. I always walk the sidewalk right behind one of the floating monsters and go only at the speed they are going...it takes time and patience, but it avoids the street brawls. If you can avoid the street battles then Sunken City isn't any worse than any other dungoen, IMO.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
It is hard because it is supposed to be hard for your levels. Me, as a Grand, its as easy as teleporting to my house.

Explorer
Jun 20, 2009
Sparky543204 wrote:
Sunken city is NOT so hard lol 8) 8) 8) 8)

thats just your opinion. some people think its rly hard, including me. i think they make it hard because some of w101 is not so long to beat, and they wanted something harder for everyone.

Delver
May 31, 2009
The idea is to make you play with others, there are a couple of dungeons like that. Fighting three 500 myth ghost may seem tough now but there is more challenging dungeons ahead. Sunken city is not a dungeon you need to do move on, if your uncomfortible go to kroktopia gain a few more levels and some stronger spells then come back and make them sorry for being so mean to you earlier

Explorer
May 09, 2009
Survivor
Sep 30, 2009
gazoofio wrote:
sunken city is meant to be hard.
The sunken city is NOT hard. I beat the sunken city hundreds of times.

Explorer
Jun 20, 2009
Souljacker233 wrote:

ya a very hard dungeon for a research report that you already helped with enough by defeated cyclopes? Marla could be a little more independent

Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
I beat sunken city, and this is what i think. (it may sound weird, but in this kind of world, who knows.....)

There were some problems in wizard city or the commons, and the guards caught them and only had room to dump them in sunken city. It was the worst ghosts and villians who got out, so the worst were put there.

That, or when the death school fell, the ghosts fell with it.

I know this sounds weird, but who knows?

Wolf Shadowhunter, ice and death level 31 (getting there), from somewhere in Marleybone.

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
Well idk if you could call it inpossible but it is very hard i almost did not make it lol if you need help plz ask for some.

Survivor
Nov 13, 2009
IamLezul wrote:
It is hard because it is supposed to be hard for your levels. Me, as a Grand, its as easy as teleporting to my house.

I totally agree!,

I don't do Sunken, Collossus Boulavard, Golem tower, Beguilers Tomb or Grizzlehiem until i am well up in the levels. I did sunken yesterday and i am level 48 at the moment.

It's not worth struggling over, I did it all in order when i had my first wizard but as soon as i learned that i didn't need to i just moved on.
I never did malistaire until i had completed everything and got statues and crafting done.

just enjoy the game and be nice to newbies but encourage them to play with their own levels rather than getting in high level guys to help out.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
MikeStrath wrote:
Souljacker233 wrote:

It is not a main-line quest nor a spell-quest area (except for life), so most never have to go in there. If they do, they need to realize it is more difficult, less XP, etc. Just hold off, do it after you are done with Krok, etc, and it is easy to do by yourself. For the life lvl 38 spell, you are required to go in, and it should be a walk-through by then.

O Its A level 38 life spell quest? O NO! Ugh. And I'm Just About to level to 38! Ugh.
Lol. I Do Think it should be easier And All that, lol They give the quest as soon as you get to sunken city. I think. Lol. But Ya They Give it at such a low level that you go in and expect it to be like other dungeons. So You Go In, Get horribly defeated by a bunch of ghosts and get your Spirits crushed so you dont want to go in ever again. Hate Sunken City But I guess I'm doing it tomorrow!

Chelsea Skytalon Level 37
Life

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I did Sunken City on my level 28 Life wizard, on my first try on my first wizard. Call your minion as soon as you can. A level 38 Life wizard should have no problems with it.

There are a few street battles in Sunken City that you can't walk around. They're the ones that have the three enemies walking around in the middle of a circle. You have to fight them (unless you can cheat by baiting them in a group).

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
colagada wrote:
I did Sunken City on my level 28 Life wizard, on my first try on my first wizard. Call your minion as soon as you can. A level 38 Life wizard should have no problems with it.

There are a few street battles in Sunken City that you can't walk around. They're the ones that have the three enemies walking around in the middle of a circle. You have to fight them (unless you can cheat by baiting them in a group).

Hmm. Thx for the tip then. I'll go do that. Lol, Ya, thats a good idea. I'm guessing you had a group though, the prob for me is after a while, friends will have to leave. Lunch, Bed, Dinner, You Name it.
Thanx tho.
Chelsea Skytalon
Level 38 Life 8)

Delver
Jun 09, 2010
colagada wrote:

I don't like how they did the first dungeon you have to beat. The other dungeons are way easier. What makes it so bad is it is impossible to get around the creatures on the street. By the time you get to the big bosses your energy levels are way depleted. They should resort to just two monsters in the roads that way we have a fighting chance.

Delver
Jun 09, 2010
colagada wrote:

Baiting isn't really cheating. And from what I have discovered if you knock off some of the creatures during a battle and then you die somewhere in the dungeon I don't think those beasts come back. I know in the dungeons i have battled since the sunken area that the creatures never come back once you knock them off so long as you don't leave the dungeon, If you die then they are gone and you can continue on with the fight. What I like is when you get to the big boss's.

If you knock off their minions the minions won't be there if you die. Just the boss. Which makes the game a bit easier. So next time you go in and fight focus on knocking off the beasts. If you die you die. So long as you don't log off or get kicked you can go back and the stuff you already killed is gone. Or at least it should be. I have not finished the dungeon yet. I am level 32 fixing to be 33. I likely will be in my 40's before I attempt to do it alone.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
Lol I did Sunken yesterday! It was surprisingly easy. Thank you all for the great tips. And heres one for you; Opposite schools make great teams. my team was life and death... having a grand helps too...
Thanxs to all of you posting here!
~Chelsea Skytalon
"Plague Oni? Dryad Is Sooo Not Worth it."
Level 39 Life

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
Wow life has to do it at 38! I am 50 and havent done it. Is that bad.

Survivor
Apr 13, 2010
I guess each world has its sunken city. Its meant to be hard for the level you can first access it in, but its possible to beat at low levels. I beat the tomb of the beguiler on level 26 in krokotopia with a bunch of adept friends. Its a matter of group play, really. IF you like, you can wait until 20 levels later and just breeze right through it, but personally i like to do the dungeons while their still a challenge. It also gives you a nice sense of accomplishment.

Blaze Thunderheart
Level 33 Magus Pyromancer
Honorary Detective
Currently investigating Katzenstein's lab.

Delver
Jun 09, 2010
Souljacker233 wrote:

Quick tip, wait till you are a higher level to do this dungeon. It scared me at first. I decided tonight to go back and see if I could do it. And guess what? I beat Sunken City all on my own at level "35". It is not so hard as you think. Yeah I died a few times but I went right back in after I refueled.

It say's that if you leave you will have to start over, but there is a catch, if you die you don't have to start over. Plus, anything you kill minions and so forth they do not regenerate again. You only get pulled out into the streets two times to fight. They are mandantory fights. Once you are done with them as long as you stay on the side walks and steer clear of the monsters they won't pull you out in the street again by force.

Another tip. Create a transport spot close to each place you battle. This way if you die, you can port back to the place where you died so you can finish off what you started. You have thirty minutes to get back so you have plenty of time to regenerate yourself and your potions.

Another tip. When you are fighting three at a time focus on one beast to take out. Never take out the boss first in a den because "they will regenerate" if you die, I found this out myself. The minions however won't regenerate. Once they are dead they are dead and that leaves you with eitehr one or two monsters to fight depending on how many you managed to take out before you died.

Remember if you quit and leave the dungeon you have to start over unless you die. So don't throw your hands up if you die at first. Go back in and keep fighting till you win. It may take longer than an hour but it is possible. I did it all on my own.

I didn't have a healer or anyone helping me. I soloed at level 35, so this means anyone can do it at a higher level. I would say 35 makes it a bit more comfortable. Still a challenge, but not so bad a challenge that you can't do it on your own. I am horrible at gaming so if I can do it at that level so can anyone else. So rest assured sunken city may be hard but it is not impossible.

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
Hmm, I agree on that. Sunken City is in the first world but It has enemies with the health of the third world, Marleybone. But I think that is because they expect you to come back around the level 15 - 20. As a pyromancer I slayed it around the level of 14, but that was because I teleported to people a quarter way into it.

But Sunken City is nothing compared to the Labyrinth in Dragonspyre!