Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Experience points

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
I just started playing the game this week. I am a lvl 12 and a healer.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1. How are experience points figured? Sometimes when I battle, say a cyclops I get 3 exp and sometimes I get triple that. Do you get more if you draw out the fight longer?

2. The only quests that I have left are ones that I can not do yet, such as colossus ave and talking to Wu someone. I have gone back to everyone I can think of in Wizard City to see if I am missing a task, and I don't seem to be. This is the same problem I have on my other character (hence the reason why I now have a second character)

3. I went to the wand shop and the highest level want that I could figure was the lollipop want (8 sideboard) so I purchased that. I have 2 problems with this... 1, I have no clue what a sideboard is and 2, I don't see anyone else with that wand. Did I make a mistake?

4. Do you really need an amulet?

5. I purchased a unicorn a couple days ago. An hour after I purchased it, I was given a troll thing with a club.. is that more powerful than a unicorn? I have been using it, but I haven't noticed an increase in anything with either of them.

Thanks for all of your help!

Defender
Dec 23, 2008
BEACHIN wrote:
1. How are experience points figured?

I've never really paid close attention, but if I understand correctly, several things are factored in, including the length of the battle, and the level of the attacks used. I wouldn't be surprised if they also included the number and the level of the attackers.

BEACHIN wrote:
2. The only quests that I have left are ones that I can not do yet, such as colossus ave and talking to Wu someone.

I take it you're on a free account? If you're at level 12, you've probably done everything available to you, and probably a few things multiple times. Some things that are easily missed: The search for Grubb in Sunken City; The battles for Golem Tower; clothing mission from the old woman in Olde Town; preview of Grizzleheim in Olde Town; Research missions from the kid in the Library; Crafting in Olde Town (which I don't recommend).

BEACHIN wrote:

3. I went to the wand shop and the highest level want that I could figure was the lollipop want (8 sideboard) so I purchased that. I have 2 problems with this... 1, I have no clue what a sideboard is and 2, I don't see anyone else with that wand. Did I make a mistake?

Sideboard is the extra slots that go with your deck. You fill up the primary slots with your trained powers, and then you can also fill up the Sideboard with wands, pets and amulets.

Wand purchases are not a big deal one way or another. Most people try to grab the most powerful wands available (for your level), but in the grand scheme of things, it's not all that important. It's more useful to carry one wand from each school, regardless of its power.

BEACHIN wrote:

You don't really need anything. An amulet can boost your stats (I think), but primarily, you choose it for the one extra card it adds to your deck (in the Sideboard).

BEACHIN wrote:

5. I purchased a unicorn a couple days ago. An hour after I purchased it, I was given a troll thing with a club.. is that more powerful than a unicorn? I have been using it, but I haven't noticed an increase in anything with either of them.

Are you talking about pets or cards? Pets have no power, but they may or may not add a card to your deck. Check the values on the card to determine their relative power.

Defender
Dec 23, 2008
Oops. Almost forgot. DO NOT take the quest from the kid in the library. It's like the Smiths quest, and will require access to areas not available to a free account.

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
1. How are experience points figured? Sometimes when I battle, say a cyclops I get 3 exp and sometimes I get triple that. Do you get more if you draw out the fight longer?

I'll try to explain this as best as I can. Experience is based on what spells you use. Each spell has a rank. Your experience obtained is calculated by multiplying 3 by the rank of the spell. So, a rank 1 spell, like Imp, gives you 3xp. A rank 2 spell, like Leprechaun gives 6xp. A rank 0 spell gives 3xp as well. You get xp whether you hit or fizzle.

2. The only quests that I have left are ones that I can not do yet, such as colossus ave and talking to Wu someone. I have gone back to everyone I can think of in Wizard City to see if I am missing a task, and I don't seem to be. This is the same problem I have on my other character (hence the reason why I now have a second character)

If you're not a subscriber, you're very limited to your quests. Once you finish Triton Avenue, you're pretty much done.

Your side board is located at the bottom of your deck menu. You cannot add cards to this area. The only cards that are here are cards from your wand, clothing, pet, amulet, etc.

Amulets can be very useful. They can give you an extra card. You do not NEED it, but I'd recommend getting one.

Most pets are only for show. Your unicorn and your troll do nothing except walk beside you. Chances are, you're never going to get a useful pet unless you subscribe, or buy crowns.