Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The word, "Noob"

AuthorMessage
Squire
Dec 21, 2008
SuperSaiyan5000 wrote:
acrios90 wrote:
I could see both sides of this argument

On one hand even though the word noob technically isn't a insult, you know the people using it mean it as one

On the other hand, your talking about tons of gamers here! if they took out noob they would find some other meaner word and or phrase.

Kingsile is smart by leaving it in, Because noob is probably the nicest insult word they could have, (And it is a word that usually cant be carried over IRL)
If someone walked up to me IRL and called me a noob I probably wouldn't be Insulted because my first thought would be " If they use that word IRL then they probably don't have much of a life"
LOL my sister called me a noob the other day while i was playing Black Ops.

And I agree with you 110%. They should leave it in for those and many other reasons.

Maybe you guys don't care but I do. Especially cause littler kids like me get upset more easy

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
I think people that say that noob should not be banned are right, because then people would say even more ruder things than noob and the word noob really does not mean anything.

Defender
Mar 06, 2010
noob is a very insulting and mean word, and, while it should be banned, that will do no good. If somebody is mean and calls you a noob, and you ask them to stop and they decide to be mean, there is an ignore button.

Benjamin Dragonsword
Legendary Pyromancer

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
Survivor
Sep 01, 2009
noob is kinda a insult people say you are a noob and then people get so used to the word and things in real life to other people

when someone gets mad in wizard 101 they start calling people noobs and they get reported then that person says hey why i get reported and they dont know what they did they start complaining :?

Survivor
Jun 02, 2011
sanmil0963 wrote:
I often hear this word a lot, but don't understand it's meaning. Would someone be so kind to tell me what a noob is?

Thank you.

A noob can mean two things one can mean that your new to the game and higher levels are teasing you. also the other one can just be mean to you.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
That topic of discussion is almost as old as the game itself. Apparently KI does not care about that.

I assume the word noob will never be filtered out of chat. Ever. KI likes it when they read recorded chat logs where people call each other noobs? I don't know....

They did not change anything about it in 2008, they won't change it now.

Defender
Sep 14, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:
That topic of discussion is almost as old as the game itself. Apparently KI does not care about that.

I assume the word noob will never be filtered out of chat. Ever. KI likes it when they read recorded chat logs where people call each other noobs? I don't know....

I'm pretty sure they won't filter it because noob actually means new to the game, which really isn't an insult. We were all new wizards. KI knows that some wizards twist the actual meaning of it, that's why there's a report button.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
Shiningfantasia wrote:

Yes, I know, I was just saying it would be nice.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2011
Survivor
Dec 12, 2008
So my friend needed help in dragonspyre and i was in mooshu at that time and he asked me to help him and i went to him so it was a boss so my fiends came one was adept myth and other was adept death and i was magus fire so he said to me why did you bring noobs here and i said they where the only ones online then he is like noob and i said me? And he said no then my friend said me? and he said yes and he reported my friend that needed help. Then my friend deleted me and said thanks for reporting me! But i got over it i am a master fire and in necropolis in dragonspyre so no one call each other noobs

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
livee wrote:
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50

the best part bout being called a "noob" in pvp is when you WIN at the end i always say after someone calls me a noob and i win a pvp: "I'M a noob? ok since I'M a noob, you were just OWNED by a noob, so am i REALLY a noob??? ;) XP" teehee!!! thats the best part!!!!

-olivia deathcaster

Yeah, always the best part. They are so "tough" on you as if you were a little mouse and they were a giant 10-feet-tall cat eyeing you. They call you a noob and really rubs it in. Then they say "Special Delivery!" before using Kraken on me. Yeah, so you think that Kraken will knock out a Legendary Ice with 4,000 health and who trains Death? So after they did their little "attack", it's MY turn to say "Special Delivery!" before I Kraken them right back and use Wraith to finish them off.

Then at the end I say, "I'm still a noob? If so, then why on earth did I defeat you? "

Survivor
Dec 26, 2009
I agree, and somewhat disagree at the same time.
I agree because: People call others noob for no reason, or because THEY'RE the noob. Maybe your in a pvp battle, like you said, and they're losing, you defeat them and they call you a shield noob or a weakness noob or just a plain noob. its childish, rude and cruel. and higher lvls like legendaries or grandmasters tend to call smaller lvels such as i dont know 1-20 noobs because they arent as powerful.
it shouldnt be allowed.

on the other hand i like calling people noob, but they are my friends, like we joke around in friendly ways so its not nessissarily (spelled wrong) bad but it it can hurt someones feelings.

but really there's no way of knowing either its the "hey buddy, your such a noob lol" friend kinda thing or "hey shield noob thats all ou do" thing so all together i think it should just be taken out :)

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I say stuff like "I can't wait to be called a noob!" when I get the feeling people are going to call me a noob

Survivor
Apr 07, 2011
Now remember people, noob orginally was not an insult. Now it is used as an insult. But banning it would just mean people would use replacements instead of noob. Like or no o be. Will banning it really make a differance? Who knows, if we do ban it people might even start calling lower levels other mean things that don't have to so with how long they have been playing the game! I say we should find another way to solve this problem. How? I don't know. Just try looking at the problem from a different angle, and post even the smallest ideas, which may trigger a bigger chain of solutions.

-Jacob Firehunter, level 60 pyromancer
-Jacob Stormhunter, level 34 diviner
-Jacob Lifehunter, level 12 thuergest (ugh I don't think I spelled it right XD)

Defender
Sep 05, 2010
I am level 41, and a Grandmaster called me a noob, because i was a lower level then him. My response was "You were this level sometime in your life, how would you feel if someone called you a noob when you were level 41?" I think you should ban the word "Noob" I don't know why you have it...

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
yes! because we were all a low level once! its not respectful and the people that are calling people noobs are ruining the fun and the game by making people quit :( its sad

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
To invest any emotions into a virtual environment is to invite a wide range of distractions in your enjoyment of the game. Feeling hurt or alienated or insulted etc. by some anonymous person online is akin to you finding a note on the ground in a foreign city with your first name on it that reads, "You never were good at anything in life."

Why on earth would you take it personal?

Look at it this way; it could be worse, for while someone online is calling you a noob, your house could be on fire.

Weigh your online investments carefully and decide which are worthy and which are emotionally-charged fodder.

Survivor
May 14, 2011
I totally agree. Earlier, at PvP, i was battling someone a lower level then me. Then when it got to the end we won.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Rihanna12 wrote:

Caroline Sunbright

Ok, sorry but I really hate it when people post subjects about the word noob. If you were to look into the dictionary, the word NOOB IS NOT AN INSULT. It just means you're new to the game or whatsoever. It's usually spelled newb because noob means NEW, not fail, or weak or little or all that. The word noob is used correctly, if you're lvl 12, you're obviously new to the game. If someone calls you that, then just take it like it means new because that's the original meaning. So there's absolutely nothing wrong with the word noob in wizard101 or in any game. If it's not for a reportable reason, then kingsisle most likely doesn't care if someone does that. So that means we shouldn't care either, it's not against the filter. If someone does call you that, just change realms. And if that's not possible because you're in pvp, then just ignore the person or just take it as the meaning new.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2010
Alright so, people use 'noob' as a taunt sometimes is that they want there ranks to be higher, get more tickets ( makes game very challenging ) plus people have a very high experience with Player Vs Player witch makes people really upset who they are facing. What makes people also say noob is how the other people use treasure cards ( gargantuan, balance blades ect ) plus people really take this game really seriously, gosh.... :?

Fred Misthunter
School:Fire
Level:60

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
Rogtim wrote:
Having 5 grandmasters, one at level 46 and one at level 21, when someone calls me noob, I just say thank you. They don't know how to respond to that. Gets them every time! Don't let it bug you.

Rogan Firehammer - GM Fire
Blake Firehammer - GM Death
Angus Firehammer - GM Myth
Chase Firehammer - GM Balance
Ian Firehammer - GM Ice
Reed Firehammer - 46 Life
Adam Firehammer - 21 Storm

lol goood one and about the word noob people just use it cause they think it makes them cool.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
livee wrote:
Rihanna12 wrote:

-olivia deathcaster

Caroline Sunbright

the best part bout being called a "noob" in pvp is when you WIN at the end i always say after someone calls me a noob and i win a pvp: "I'M a noob? ok since I'M a noob, you were just OWNED by a noob, so am i REALLY a noob??? ;) XP" teehee!!! thats the best part!!!!
I totally agree.If you lose to a person, then call them a noob, then how bad must you be to have lost to one. plz remove the owrd kingsisle

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
Explorer
Sep 05, 2011
I thought noob meant someone too low in a high place. The word noob should only be used for that purpose not as in insult or not used at all.