Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

patch loading everytime i log on

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 13, 2008
Ever since the shop update a while back my game has been loading some kind of patch every time i log on. It wasnt a big deal at first because it only took 30 seconds or so to load up. But now since the last patch with the school themed housing my game takes like 5 minutes to load up every thing when i log on. It seems to always have to load up a bunch of housing object-world data stuff. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening? Like I said it first started back when the shop was first patched in. And the loading bar says something about housingobject-worlddata.wad. Thanks.

Survivor
Sep 13, 2008
A couple days later and the same thing is still happening. I have pretty much done everything on my part as far as making sure all my settings are correct. I dunno, my subscription is gonna be up in a couple of weeks and I don't see spending more money on this game until this problem is fixed. It is a real bummer because if I get kick of the game I have to there and wait 5-10 minutes for my game to load again. I mean, can I get some explanation for why this all of a sudden started happening?

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I have 2 computers--a laptop and a desk top. My laptop with windows 7 does the patchloading of housing objects whenever i start the game and takes longer to load. This started with the last update.

I have no problems with my desk top. (It runs Windows Vista). so I don't know if that makes a difference.

When playing the game on my lap top, i simply start the game and then get me a drink or go to the little wizard's room. By the time i get back it is usually finished. Although it can be annoying, i don't find it so inconvenient to cancel my subscription.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
For some it may not be a problem, but let's face it, most games and programs don't take that long to load, why should Wizard 101 be an exception. The game loader needs to be re-optimized to load the game within a reasonable amount of time.
Since I sometimes crash out of the game, i need to get back in quickly if I'm in the middle of a battle.

Wizard 101 developers, please fix this. :(

Survivor
Nov 14, 2009
mantisrane wrote:
Ever since the shop update a while back my game has been loading some kind of patch every time i log on. It wasnt a big deal at first because it only took 30 seconds or so to load up. But now since the last patch with the school themed housing my game takes like 5 minutes to load up every thing when i log on. It seems to always have to load up a bunch of housing object-world data stuff. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening? Like I said it first started back when the shop was first patched in. And the loading bar says something about housingobject-worlddata.wad. Thanks.

same problem here

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
Explorer
Jan 28, 2009
I have the same problem but fortunately I have a really quick connection and a super fast PC so it doesn't take long to load. That being said it is still a problem and I am very curious as to why no professors have even acknowledged this issue with a statement of any kind. Even if this is something they are already working on they could say so right? Something like " Yes we are aware of this problem and are working hard to fix it as quickly as possible.." Something like that would be just fine!

Matthew LifeGiver lvl 45 Life Wizard 4 Life

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
This is getting awful! My son wants to play and can't do anything w/o having to wait forever!

Survivor
Sep 13, 2008
If I could play without the game ever crashing this wouldnt be a big problem at all. I only play month to month so I think I will be taking some time off until this problem is fixed, or at least acknowledged in someway.

Survivor
Sep 13, 2008
Alright it took some time, but I figured this one out. What I had to do was first uninstall wizard101, then download a new wizard101 file from the website and install that one. It is important to download that new one and not use any old version. It will take a while to get everything loaded again, it will be like installing a new patch. So if you are grandmaster you might have to try and visit a few worlds to get everything loaded up. But so far I have been starting the game like normal.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY I would advise NOT visiting the shop on your laptop account. To be honest I haven't tried it yet since I installed the program again, but that is only because I think the shop is what caused the extra loading. The first time I started having that loading issues is when the shop was first introduced. And then when the shop was expanded with the school houses the loading increased. I just have a feeling that if you visit that shop on your laptop it will have to patch in every time before you play. Why? I dunno, and I am scared to waste more time trying. All I know is that something isnt working right with the laptops. My main desk pc is perfectly, never had an issue. I do not have anything to do with kingsisle so I cant be certain about any of the stuff I said about the shop. I am just trying to narrow this down so those affected can go back to having fun.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2009
Survivor
Oct 07, 2009
I have had basically the same problem that has been mentioned by everyone.The thing that gets me is this.Ive noticed that this patching problem started when they put the new houses in.Also they seem to be patching the new houses almost everyday.This makes me real leary about buying a school themed house

Survivor
Sep 13, 2008
So far my game has been loading like normal since I downloaded and installed the newest wizard101 file. But I dare not even touch that shop button while playing on my laptop.

Survivor
Oct 19, 2009
ugh... my computer keeps redownloading this file too plz fix it, its getting annoying.

Explorer
Jan 28, 2009
mantisrane wrote:
So far my game has been loading like normal since I downloaded and installed the newest wizard101 file. But I dare not even touch that shop button while playing on my laptop.

You didn't fix the problem. All you did was wipe the memory of the game from your PC and by not going to the shop you are not adding new files t your laptop/computer. That is almost like saying I don't like how long it takes me to walk around the furniture in my living room so I am going to get rid of it. Yes you can get to the other side faster but you are missing a lot of stuff (files). I do see it loading but it only takes me a split second because of the speed of my connection and processor. The only way I see this being fixed is to incorporate the new files from the last patch into the main system files of the game and then re-patch the game so they are in the same directory. That way when you launch wizard it will already have these things in your RAM and you won't have to load them every time you launch the game. I think that is how it works.

Survivor
Sep 13, 2008
mshewmake2000 wrote:
mantisrane wrote:

You didn't fix the problem. All you did was wipe the memory of the game from your PC and by not going to the shop you are not adding new files t your laptop/computer. That is almost like saying I don't like how long it takes me to walk around the furniture in my living room so I am going to get rid of it. Yes you can get to the other side faster but you are missing a lot of stuff (files). I do see it loading but it only takes me a split second because of the speed of my connection and processor. The only way I see this being fixed is to incorporate the new files from the last patch into the main system files of the game and then re-patch the game so they are in the same directory. That way when you launch wizard it will already have these things in your RAM and you won't have to load them every time you launch the game. I think that is how it works.

Please dont come in and further confuse the situation. WHAT I SAID DOES FIX THE PROBLEM. Once I read someone with a new laptop had the same problem I knew it wasnt just me. When you go from taking 5-10 minutes to load down to 5-10 seconds to load I say mission accomplished. To use your analogy people actually will remove a piece of furniture if it makes a big difference. Like if you had a big couch blocking the doorway wouldn't you move it? Well to some of us that shop is like a big couch in the doorway of our living room, and I found a way to avoid it. It isnt as simple as just incorporating new data into a patch. First someone has to figure out why laptops are infected with this problem, but my desktop pc shows no symptoms.

Defender
Jun 29, 2009
Balance4life wrote:
ugh... my computer keeps redownloading this file too plz fix it, its getting annoying.
Ditto! I am on two desktops (Vista and XP O/S) and a FIOS connection (faster than most T1 connections). The strange part is that the older and slower XP machines I have load these patches faster than the newer and much faster Vista machine.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
I am also having this problem. It is not reasonable that the file set should change so much within a 24 hour period. Why is it necessary to update so many patch files? Two weeks ago, file progress patching took about 30 seconds on my machine. Now, it takes 5 minutes.