Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

18+ server

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 03, 2009
look. i'm not dissin the youngsters, but the simple fact is that middle-aged people are better tacticians. we tend not to waste time with 1 pip spells, we don't hop into a battle with no mana and half health, and we are able to better communicate because we our chat isn't restricted.

i'm not saying that i would always play on an 18+ server, but i would like the option... especially on the weekends.

thanks.

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
phantombeck wrote:
look. i'm not dissin the youngsters, but the simple fact is that middle-aged people are better tacticians. we tend not to waste time with 1 pip spells, we don't hop into a battle with no mana and half health, and we are able to better communicate because we our chat isn't restricted.

i'm not saying that i would always play on an 18+ server, but i would like the option... especially on the weekends.

thanks.

Your suggestion would kind of defeat the purpose of why the creation of Wizard101...As the game itself was created specifically FOR children and provide a family atmosphere for parents and their children to game together.

So having an 18+ server is pointless if the game itself is being seperated into 'age groups'.

Oh, and not to burst your bubble...But I've seen adult players jump into battles with no mana or low health. It isn't just the younger players doing it.

Heck, I'm 43 nearly and I've been pulled into battles with those low stats because I haven't had the chance to go to the games area to recoup...As well as I've jumped into fights when someone calls for help and can't wait for me to recoup my stats and rely on my secondary school of life and my free pip spells to help them out in a pinch...As well as my hubby's jumped to my aid or our friends' aid with little mana or health.

Honestly? As long as I or hubby have at least a dozen pips on us and 400 health, we can hold our own in a battle when helping someone else out. Fighting doesn't necessarly mean you need a bunch of pips or health. If you've been playing for awhile, you should know this. And it doesn't take an adult to figure that one out.

Defender
Mar 24, 2009
phantombeck wrote:

thanks.

I really doubt that they will make an 18+ server, but you can always get open chat. I've got it and it works great. You can't cuss or anything, but you can say numbers and everything. Try it.

Survivor
Oct 07, 2009
I kinda have to agree with this idea.I realize this game is family oriented,but there is allot of older gamers here to.Older gmmaers tend to have more curtisy(forgive the spelling) towards other players and tend to work better with other players.It would be worth it to me if if age was required to play on on a more mature server and we could more our wizards to that server for free.

Explorer
Mar 02, 2009
Ok, i am a Grandmaster Diviner, and lets just put it this way, under 18. People under 18 ( KingsIlses main target group ) are some of the best players. Since a majority change their age to get open chat you have no way of telling. So i dont like the idea, and your message really doesnt seem like it is written by someone over 18.

Survivor
Nov 03, 2009
Sonny777 wrote:
Ok, i am a Grandmaster Diviner, and lets just put it this way, under 18. People under 18 ( KingsIlses main target group ) are some of the best players. Since a majority change their age to get open chat you have no way of telling. So i dont like the idea, and your message really doesnt seem like it is written by someone over 18.

Really? Cute.

Here's what I can tell you (seeing as how neither of us have proof about who is or is not 18+): when I see a talk bubble with a line through it, it's usually floating above the head of somebody who makes some of the most ridiculous battle choices. like wasting my hexes with their wand attacks or not casting blades before they cast sharks on a 600 hp foe or entering the battle and the first thing they do is menu chat "I Need To Heal!".

My 9-year-old plays. She's in the other room now and we're about to grind her through Kroktopia. I TRAIN HER. I've taught her to set up her deck, when to discard, how to pay attention to what's going on. Even something as simple as "don't cast a 70% spell on a creature who only has 40 hp left. just wand him" or "remember, you need to make sure nobody needs to heal before you finish the battle" or "when you have 4 enemies, it's better to get rid of one of them rather than just hurt all of them. it doesn't matter if you get him down to 100 hp... if he's alive, he can still kill you". these are things that she would NOT think of if i were not coaching her.

now, i know that not everybody has a parent who plays. cool. unfortunate, but cool. i would like the option to not have to play with people who don't have the cognitive ability to think without being coached.

now, some direct responses:

1) i don't care if i sound like i'm over 18. the opinions of a child matter very little to me.
2) granted, some people under 18 may be great players. that doesn't change the fact that i should have the choice to NOT play with them. respond to that rather than deflecting and making unquantifiable claims.
3) being over 18 doesn't make you a good player. i agree. non-responsive, though, to what i'm saying. my argument is that weeding out all the people who have communication restrictions would greatly increase ones chance of success - even if only because they can actually TALK about what's going on in the battle.
4) my suggestion does not defeat the purpose of W101. despite what you willingly believe, W101 is a business that intends to make a profit. you also assume that the mass of the population is parents and their children - an assumption i believe to be far-fetched. last, the 18+ server would still be a CHOICE. i would gladly leave it to game with my daughter and go back to it when i don't want to game with children.
5) the whole thing about pips and health - yeah, i agree. i can too. however, imagine a two different individuals in that situation... do you think that a six-year-old in your position (400 health and 4 lv 5 elite enemies) would make the same tactical choices that you would? do you think that they would be able to say "hey. they're targeted on me. I can heal or kill one of them. if i don't heal, i'll die. can you rez me?" - - NO they can't say that and no they won't think that. they will simply heal and give the enemy another round to attack. however, chances are that an adult would think beyond basic survival.

Honestly, i don't know why you all get so upset about this. Can anybody really articulate a GOOD reason not to give the adults who play the option to play on an adult server. the best argument i've seen so far is the whole "purpose of W101" but before you can win that argument, you have to prove that changing something's intended use is a BAD thing. what if they told the guys on Apollo 13 "no, you can't use that filter to preserve oxygen... that's not it's 'purpose'"?

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
I highly doubt they would decide to set off players by age, especially when the game is directed towards children. The point is, they want you to be tolerant of all players. Remember, some people are new at the game. I hate it when I start playing a game and the more experienced players mock me because I don't know exactly what's going on right now. How am I supposed to know? You learn by experience. If you don't like the way this game is set up, you honestly should look for a game that is aimed at older players. :)

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
phantombeck wrote:
Honestly, i don't know why you all get so upset about this. Can anybody really articulate a GOOD reason not to give the adults who play the option to play on an adult server. the best argument i've seen so far is the whole "purpose of W101" but before you can win that argument, you have to prove that changing something's intended use is a BAD thing. what if they told the guys on Apollo 13 "no, you can't use that filter to preserve oxygen... that's not it's 'purpose'"?

1. Nobody is upset about your suggestion. The only one showing any sign of being upset is yourself because the majority of those responding said it's not an idea they approve of or want.

2. Whether you think it is or not, the reasons given to you are logical and good reasons of why your suggestion isn't suitable for the game itself.

If you're wanting a game that's mostly adults, that's geared to adults, then try the MORPGs aimed at adults. THIS game though is aimed at children and their parents. It's a 'family game'. As such, you need to realize that your going to have to put up with the kiddies, if you're going to play this game.

As Darian pointed out, the intent in this game is to learn how to get along with others. And that means even getting along with the players that are younger or don't play in the manner you do or prefer.

This game is advertised as a 'family' game. Setting it up to seperate players based on age, would be false advertisement. Not to mention, the 'issues' you are having problems with? That of players jumping in with low health/mana or not asking before jumping in? ISN'T something you can just slap a label on with 'it's a kid doing it'...You seem to think that adults somehow would be better 'experienced' to deal with that situation then a kid.

Sorry, but the majority of kids in this game are way more capable then many of the adults playing. Heck, it's the kids who actually are the ones to ask about HOW to succeed at this game if you don't know. I've had to delete more incompetent and rude adult players off my list, then I've ever had to remove a kid.

The fact is, this is a game. Some people, regardless of age, are better at certain games then another. Just cause you had to train your daughter, isn't a sign that the majority of kids are as challenged when coming to playing this game.

Heck, we're STILL trying to teach this game to my mother-in-law, who's been a member now for over 3 months. Even WITH our nephew helping her on her end (they live in Canada) as well as with us trying to talk her through on the phone and in-game? She still hasn't progressed beyond 10th level. The game for her is simply 'too complicated'. And she's not an incompetent in games, as she has no problems playing other computer RP games with skill...But this one simply poses challenges and a way of thinking that she can't wrap her mind around.

And yes...She's one of those that jump into a fight with low health/mana and then is texting with 'I'm low on health/mana'...She's in her 60's. You'd still have to contend with her even if there was an 'adult' realm along with contending with the thousands of other adult players that can't stategize the game and do the same themselves...So what will you do then?

The ONLY option to 'fixing' it so players can't just jump into a battle is to impliment an option that you have to give permission first before they can join your battle. Trying to seperate it by what age the player is or whether or not they use open chat or not, isn't going to fix the problems you are experiencing and want to avoid by creating a seperate 'gaming realm' based on those age or chat options.

Survivor
Nov 03, 2009
Fine. Whatever. Misconstrue what I've said. Downplay the outrage of my responders. Restate the only argument given against 18+ that has a shred of logic. "This game is advertised as a 'family' game. Setting it up to seperate players based on age, would be false advertisement."

1) Please cite a law against false advertisement. You'll be surprised to find that there aren't any.
2) If it's a family game then allowing non-family accounts would be breaking their "code".
3) This STILL isn't a reason not to have 18+ servers. Why is you're only answer "find another game"? I have 5 accounts linked... count them FIVE. How many you got?

Last, yes i CAN "slap a label on it". They don't have open chat, they're under 18. nine times out of ten, it's someone with a slash through their chat bubble doing the things I've pointed out. And let me make it clear: I Don't Hate Them. I understand that the are kids. Cool. I don't mind playing the game with them. However, there are times and places where I would like to reduce the chance that one of these inexperienced children are going to hijack my circle and start throwing firecats at rank 5 bosses messin up my traps.

I honestly can't believe that people are against that.

BTW, 18+ is simply a socially-accepted cut-off. When you say "kid" and I say "kid", I have a feeling we're talking about 2 different things. I'd probably be okay with a 13+ server, honestly. Something happens to your brain (you'll learn this in psychology classes) around the age of 12-13 and you become able to think critically.

Far as this kid being challenged or that one not, trust me... there's not an 8 or 9 year-old out there who's going to pick up on this game on their own. Do you know what asperger's is? Look it up. It's a little different than autism, but it has one thing in common: savantism. My nephew has it and his "savant-tendencies" are on games, especially card games like pokemon and whatever that other big one is. His IQ is, well, it's high enough that there's no point in measuring it. Even with this natural (unnaturally natural) ability, my daughter is better than him. Why? Coaching. So, you'll never convince me that an untrained, uncoached, non-account-paying, 9-year-old is going to (on average) be a better gamer than an adult (on average).

I'll say it one more time so that I don't get misquoted:

1) I'm not hating on the kids.
2) there should be an option for PAYING CUSTOMERS to play on a server that separates them from some of the riff-raff. 13+, 18+, paid accounts only. ANYTHING like that would do.
3) I've still not heard a GOOD reason not to. The best reason so far is that they "advertise it as a family game". Yeah. Cool. Then all accounts that aren't paid family accounts should be shut down. Not a good idea? Okay, then it wasn't a good response to begin with.

Anyway, I'm done. Write this down: relatively soon, there will be action implemented to allow paid and/or adult customers to separate themselves from the others. The game has gotten too big too fast and has attracted the attention of too many older players (intentional or not). The people with the CREDIT CARDS will decide the future of this game. That's the way it always works.