Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion: lock battle

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 12, 2009
I know that there is a thing that tells you if you see a wizard in trouble that you should go help them out, but lately I have more and more people randomly come join a battle I just started and I am really getting tired of it. I created my Ice Wizard to try and solo a little more yet people just invite themselves in, most don't even ask if I need or want help. Then they come in and mess anything up that I already was working on, such as breaking traps with their wand, or casting their bubbles after I already cast mine.

I suggest a way that when you begin a battle that it will ask you if you want others to be able to join and you can click yes or no. And maybe even make it so you can change your mind when selecting spells in between rounds. It's extremely frustrating when someone who doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't care what you are doing comes in and messes with it all and acts like they own the battle you started. It's also not fair when you have to flee cause they messed it up so bad and you lose all your mana for it...it just makes things not very fun!

The problems would be solved if there were an option to lock others out(like other people who are not on your friends list) from joining.

Also, to those who like to randomly jump in other people's battles; it would really be nice if you at least ask first cause if you do it to some of us you might be left fighting three or more enemies on your own because you were so inconsiderate.

Defender
Apr 02, 2009
I like this idea. As a Master Diviner i tried to solo Kensington Park. However, at random intervals people would join me in a fight and wouldn't leave up until it was a full dungeon. Locking battles would be great!

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
Thanks! If you are in a dungeon and want to solo it, though, you can go to your options menu and go to privacy and turn off friend teleports there. So that should solve that problem for you.

It's more of the random joins in street battles, as well as it seems anyone can now run in to boss battles in the Grand Arena and join you. When I first started I never use to have that happen in the Grand Arena, and being it is more like an enclosed boss encounter, it makes no sense why or how these people are getting in. And they are never people on my friends list.

What is funny about the Grand Arena is you can have a friend with you and they can't enter in at the same time to a boss battle as you, unless they port to you. But any random person who gets "lucky" can walk in and join you. I am wondering if this is a glitch?

Survivor
Sep 25, 2009
Love that idea! I have a GM ice and now working on a Balance/Death wiz which requires well played out traps and blades to do major damage and several people just invite themselves in and wand hit a feint which is very frustrating. I end up having to change my options to " no teleporting" and that helps little because the majority of people who do this are random. This option also makes me appear to be unsociable to the friends I have, which I don't really like either. Most people have the best intentions, I know , but still losing a hex and feint on a boss to a wand strike can throw a whole battle off, so I know what you are going through.

It would be helpful if they allowed us to accept a port to us before allowing the port while in battle [ Something like: PlayerA would like to port to you Accept/ Decline] Many times people will port in and find you are in a battle dragging more mobs into it and then they flee, leaving you to battle even more alone.

On the other hand though, battles are a good way to get to know people and have made my friends randomly. I certainly have learned through making mistakes in battle as well, same as everyone. So I will not allow myself to make someone feel bad for striking a feint with a weak cast, I normally just hit my head on the desk a few times but they can't hear that...lol

Good Luck to you!

Mary Wintersong (lvl 50 GM ice)
Keena DuneBlossom (lvl 35 sorcerer)

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
bettymachete wrote:
Love that idea! I have a GM ice and now working on a Balance/Death wiz which requires well played out traps and blades to do major damage and several people just invite themselves in and wand hit a feint which is very frustrating. I end up having to change my options to " no teleporting" and that helps little because the majority of people who do this are random. This option also makes me appear to be unsociable to the friends I have, which I don't really like either. Most people have the best intentions, I know , but still losing a hex and feint on a boss to a wand strike can throw a whole battle off, so I know what you are going through.

It would be helpful if they allowed us to accept a port to us before allowing the port while in battle [ Something like: PlayerA would like to port to you Accept/ Decline] Many times people will port in and find you are in a battle dragging more mobs into it and then they flee, leaving you to battle even more alone.

On the other hand though, battles are a good way to get to know people and have made my friends randomly. I certainly have learned through making mistakes in battle as well, same as everyone. So I will not allow myself to make someone feel bad for striking a feint with a weak cast, I normally just hit my head on the desk a few times but they can't hear that...lol

Good Luck to you!

Mary Wintersong (lvl 50 GM ice)
Keena DuneBlossom (lvl 35 sorcerer)

Yeah, I usually say nothing when it happens, especially if it's someone on my list, though I probably sit here at the computer yelling about it...lol. But I know teleports can be turned on and off while in battle too, though it is a nuisance to have to switch back and forth when in and out of battles.

It's just the random people that are not on my list that really make me mad when they come in and mess things up like that. Often times it's also people who really don't even "belong" in that area, like say level 20's or less in DS. They think they are cool to be there or something and are so wanting to go fight draconians but then you end up having to baby-sit them while they hit with weak spells. Nothing like seeing that person with less than 1000 health jump in to a fight in DS...lol. Or they come in and they are half dead already and then want you to heal them. Yes, let me waste my pips on you and get clobbered myself in the process!...lol.

But, like you said, battling is a good way to make friends and I have made some of mine while in battle, it just seems more often than not I end up with some random person who has no clue what they are doing and messes it all up. If they at least asked before joining I would probably say yes as they were at least that considerate. The ones I have become friends with, we could see each other were good players, or at least easy to get along with, so it all worked fine like that.

Heather(with varying last names lol)

Storm GM
Fire GM
Death GM
Balance lvl 41
Life lvl 42
Myth lvl 45
Ice lvl 36

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
I can see big problems with this.

I like that KI put in a control so we can prevent people from porting to us.

But to lock a battle? There can only be 4 people in a battle at a time. And I have jumped in on occasion, such as when I get a quest to defeat or collect x things from a specific monster. If I see someone fighting 2 of them, and there is a third that will join in if I join the battle, that's 3 less I have to do on my own. There's no "this is MY monster" in this game. There are areas where it can be only your monster, usually these are not the street monsters.

If you want to try to solo an entire area, there are instances you can try. Or go to a less populated realm.

I'd like to point out that this is an MMORPG, or, at the very least, a multi-player online game. That means you aren't the only person playing it. There are people from all states, and many countries I'd guess.

So KingsIlse, please do not Lock Battle. Then many of us will run into a situation where we can jump from realm to realm looking for a certain monster, that there are only a handful of, only to find it's similar to Kraken on Tritan Avenue, where it's constantly taken by others, and no chance to get that quest completed for many hours or days.

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
You probably aren't trying much to find your own battles then. I have never had a problem going anywhere and finding my own monsters to fight. But I sure don't need someone coming in and messing up what I've been working on, and I have talked to many people on here who feel the same way and get just as frustrated when someone who has no clue or cares comes in and messes up anything that that was being done by those who started the battle. It really just makes the battle take longer in these cases because most are not trying to work with you, they are just trying to show off or think they are just so cool to be in a certain area fighting certain monsters, and it only puts more strain on the players who started the battle.

Also when you join are you even considering the pounding that the people in spot 1 or 2 have already been taking? And how do you know they haven't already used all their heals? You bringing in another monster when they might be about to end the battle might just kill them and then THEY won't get credit for THEIR work. Personally I would feel really bad if I caused that.

There are plenty of monsters wandering the streets and always more spawning when some are taken in to battle. It would not be that hard to find some you could fight. And if you were kind enough to ask to join a battle instead of just jumping in, then I am sure most people would accept your help, if for some reason you don't want to get your own monsters to battle.

This game has plenty of other social qualities about it for all people to enjoy and locking battles would be as fences are for homes, it would make "better neighbors." I've seen plenty of people get angry at others who join a battle who were not wanted and having a battle locked would solve these issues.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
I agree with Oceandaydreamer. It's a bigger issue than just wanting to be left alone in-game. There are people who are deliberately leeching off others and taking advantage of the open combat system, by jumping in on people when they're close to the end of a street boss battle so they can get credit for the defeat, or collect a rare drop, or whatever.

There needs to be some kind of recourse for people who don't want others jumping into their circle and shouting orders, being rude, ruining a spell setup, or whatever. If locking circles isn't possible, then give us a way to leave that circle without the negative consequences of a mana drain or a trip to town. Or perhaps to move to a different realm, taking the mobs we are fighting along with us.

Or how about this--when somebody joins a fight already in progress, give them the FIRST spot, and make them the target of the monsters in combat, and move the existing battlers over one.

Or how about giving us a pet with a card that fills up all the empty spots in a circle. We'd spend crowns for it!

I understand that it's nice to play with others, we just need a way of dealing with those who take advantage of others.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
Yeah, there really should be something like that. one time i was collosus boulevard, and people just kept coming into to battles disrupting my traps. and, what's REALLY annoying is when people come in and keep hitting pass. they don't even do Anything. and since the monsters are more likely to attack you, you eventually either win or die.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
usually when i join a battle that is already started,its usually because my computer is lagging and it just makes me join,and usually only join if i know who it is,or they ask for help,or i can tell they are going to die and get a tiny bit of pity.

but i really dont care if someone joins my battles,just makes it quicker because there will be more attacks on my side of things,and i get more exp and stuff monsters drop,so i have no complaints there.But if it helps you to have a battle lock,then go for it.

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
Treiga wrote:
usually when i join a battle that is already started,its usually because my computer is lagging and it just makes me join,and usually only join if i know who it is,or they ask for help,or i can tell they are going to die and get a tiny bit of pity.

but i really dont care if someone joins my battles,just makes it quicker because there will be more attacks on my side of things,and i get more exp and stuff monsters drop,so i have no complaints there.But if it helps you to have a battle lock,then go for it.

Really, I find the opposite happens when people join. Usually I would have already been done with a battle and then people join in late when I am about to make the kill of the one or all monsters that are left. Otherwise they just get in there, break traps and generally mess everything up with weak attacks and make me have to build everything back up again so that the battle can finally finish. This especially happens when wizards who don't belong in an area yet(like people who don't even have 1000 health in Dragonspyre o_O) want to jump in and "show off"...or maybe they just have no idea how to make a good hit and just throw any spell out there, no blades, traps, etc. It just makes it take longer and also makes the monsters have more chance to try and heal, throw up absorbs, shield, and of course attack the first person in the circle even more!

I really try to find areas and realms where there are few to no other wizards around and then try to get as far away from the last people I saw as I can to do my battles, but of course people always manage to find me anyway and come and disrupt everything. I call it the "herding effect," like when you park a car far from every other car and then everyone decides to park next to your car. Seems many people have a hard time doing anything on their own or giving space to others. And the least anyone can do is at least ask if you want or need the help before assuming you want them there.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
I hate it when people just follow you everywhere.Its kinda scary really.... >_<
I've been to DragonSpyre and MooShu,which i shouldn't be,i just was to help a friend and then i left.Then i saw the random 'novice' guy running around in DragonSpyre and it was all like- 'Uh......did i miss something here?'

But i really only like it when people randomly join in is when i am on a kill x many monsters or collect x many items from a monster,then i really dont care as long as its what i'm supposed to be killing.