Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Did Not Collect

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
I understand that the probability of collecting an item might be less than 100%, but when I have to fight the same guys three times to get something, it gets rather tedious.

I also make sure I don't "over-rank" the spells, so if I'm fighting a level 4 monster, I always use spells with fewer than four pips, for instance.

Even still, I think the developers sometimes get challenging and tedious confused. "Defeat X to collect Y" quests should be set up to avoid the need for excessive re-combat.

The problem with getting others to help is that they often over-power the spells and won't respect the needs of players who would like to collect something after combat.

Survivor
May 15, 2009
Did not collect is soooooo annoying! You shouldn't have to fight the same enemy 50,000 times to get a itty bitty haiku book! Very irritating. :?

Survivor
Sep 15, 2009
Funny. I'm currently running two wizards through Marylebone. They both have exactly the same quests and it's useful to use one as a port while the other runs off to the square. I find it funny that one of them usually manages to get what it needs first time of trying and the second one, who does exactly the same battles at exactly the same time, has to try again. The pair of them are battling together. I think it adds interest to the game and would be a little disappointed if this were to be changed.

I like the randomness that is a part of the game. Yes, it can be a little frustrating if the 'did not collect' happens after the two of them have battled over three lots of bad guys but that's only because my little storm wizard has a limited supply of manna and while there are plenty of red wisps around there are few if none blue ones. And, no, that's not a complaint. I happen to like the way the game is set up.

Patience is a virtue? I guess all of us, myself included, dont always feel virtuous. :P

Can you imagine how boring the game would be if you got everything you wanted/needed at first attempt?

Golem tower, I can remember my friend not getting the first one on the first or second level with one of her wizards - now THAT was a surprise, as both of us had always completed that first task on the first level up until then. Had us both in fits of giggles, her poor wizard was battered and bruised and had to go back in. :)

I wonder what the record is for 'did not collect, try again'?

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I HATE collecting. If it is one item, I can understand having to fight several times before I find the guy who has it.

But, when I am told to collect X amount of something, and the monster Y has them, I should have a better than 50% chance per monster of getting said item.

This definately needs to be addressed.

Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
better than 50%? you do realize that even if it were 90% chance, you still wouldnt always get the items... A few of these quests in DS took FOREVER because of this. oh well. part of the game

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
StaticFX wrote:
better than 50%? you do realize that even if it were 90% chance, you still wouldnt always get the items... A few of these quests in DS took FOREVER because of this. oh well. part of the game

Really? And here I thought that 50% meant I would get one every single time.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
I HATE collecting. If it is one item, I can understand having to fight several times before I find the guy who has it.

But, when I am told to collect X amount of something, and the monster Y has them, I should have a better than 50% chance per monster of getting said item.

This definately needs to be addressed.

Why? Why SHOULD you have a 'better than 50%' chance per monster? You have A chance with every monster - either it has what you need or it doesn't. The same with the next monster. And the one after that.

Personally I don't see any reason for any of this 'to be addressed' - if you dont get what you need first time, or second or third time, just tag another monster until you get what you need.

I have a couple of kiddies running round the spiral and neither of them complain if they dont get what they need - they just try again. It's a game, have fun with it.

Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
StaticFX wrote:

Really? And here I thought that 50% meant I would get one every single time.

LOL

sorry, im just tired of hearing about people complaining that they didnt get this or didnt get that.. or I spent X crowns and still didnt get what i wanted from the chest. Just trying to state the obvious, if its NOT 100% then there is no guarantee :)

Survivor
Sep 11, 2009
Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
You're absolutely right. It is a game and meant to be fun. Where is the fun when, after fighting 12 of said monsters, you've only collected 3 out of the 8 required of the items?

Did you skip over what I said and just read the "better than 50%" because is was bold and underlined?

Let me give you an example of what I'm saying.

In Firecat Alley, Shellus wants me to recover the Spirit of Mukogawa sword from the skeletal warrior. Now, that is one specific item. I can understand having to fight many skeletal warriors before I find the guy who has that one specific item. Shellus also wants me to get a harpischord made for him. One of the ingredients is the finger bones from the skeletal warrior. I have to get 4 of them. Now, with my "better than 50%" statement in mind, I should not have to fight, on average, more than 8 skeletal warriors in order to collect their finger bones. In truth, it's their finger bones ... how can I not collect their finger bones?

Now let me give you a real life analogy. You have a couple of kiddies and I'm sure they dressed up for Halloween and went trick or treating.

Let's say you set a limit of 20 pieces of candy before you stop. They go to the houses where decorations are out and the porch light is lit. They knock and wait, knock some more and wait. Ring the doorbell and wait. Noone comes to the door and no candy is collected. They do this 5 times in a row and haven't received a single piece of candy. Are your kids still having fun?

I could list many of the different "collection" quests on every word in the spiral and point out just how irritating it is to get the "did not collect" statement when the item I'm trying to collect is either part of their anatomy or part of their basic equipment (i.e. hammer from the cyclops).

Explorer
May 09, 2009
StaticFX wrote:

the quests in ds do take forever. I am stuck on a quest to get pritstine crystal from a crystal crawler. the crystal crawler is ice, and so am I. the battles in ds already take a while, so I dont want to have to fight one once. so I think at least in ds it should be raised to 65%.