Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Using treasure cards during a duel. Yes or No

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 23, 2009
He could have had storm as a secondary school. Please consider that before you acuse people of using treasures.

Except that wild bolt isn't trainable as a non-primary storm spell. May want to check up next time before you post, sweetheart.

Defender
Nov 25, 2009
possumman14 wrote:
He could have had storm as a secondary school. Please consider that before you acuse people of using treasures.

Except that wild bolt isn't trainable as a non-primary storm spell. May want to check up next time before you post, sweetheart.

Eh... what can I say? I was posting all over the place and was getting kinda tired. And I'm not storm. It can be annoying to be acused of using treasures when you don't and I was just trying to help the guy's reputation. But now that I know that it's not a non-primary spell... forget I said it.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
Caspeen wrote:
Wow, some well thought out answers here. So far - usually these posts degenerate into whining and worse, so it's nice that it hasn't gone there yet.

I, too, agree that Treasure Cards in pvp diminish the enjoyment of arena battles. Low level players using high level spells, complete dependency on game changing spells like Wild Bolt, manufacturing super spells - all very contentious issues. But, as much as I wish things would change, I will also admit I do indeed use Treasure Cards simply because it's part of the game. It's NOT cheating, and if you don't accept them as part of the game you will A> never be happy and B> probably won't attain a very high rank. Not to say you CAN'T win without using them, but as a Warlord with around 1400 rank, I can tell you that I'd be at a serious disadvantage against very skilled players if I didn't. I learned some time ago that if I couldn't beat them, I best join them. And I did.

Well, mostly. I can honestly say I have never Wild Bolted anyone. Not because it's not fair, but because I think it's bad strategy. In fact, with out of school "penalty", the only Treasure Cards of more than one pip I use is for Healing. But that's me - if folks want to Wild Bolt, or any other Treasure Card spell, that's simply part of the game. Though one other "complication" that Treasure Cards create is that it's hard to come up with a perfect defense since any school can use any spell, I think it's safe to say that any could have Wild Bolt and it's probably in your best interest to load Storm Shields in any pvp deck.

That said, I do think there are a few ways to "curb" Treasure Cards without eliminating them from the game.

1. An idea presented by Ravenfell was to take Keen and Tough out of the Library. Brilliant. These cards are the key ingredient to "manufactured" cards and making them less available would radically change the way Treasure Cards are made / used / traded.

2. Why are Treasure Cards more powerful / better than the trained spell version? Shouldn't a spell you put a lot of effort into learning be more powerful / better than a spell bought / traded for? People would still use Treasure Cards to have access to spells they haven't learned, but it would make learning spells a premium.

3. Allow Treasure Cards, but perhaps limit the Tickets / Points won in pvp if more than 3 / 5 / 10 / X cards are used. Again, this would allow use of Treasure Cards, but it would prevent "Abuse" / overuse of them.

Alas, until KI changes things, I'm afraid that acceptance of Treasure Cards would be in everyone's best interest. Sorry to say, they are part of the game now and, love it or hate it, they are almost a "requirement" to making it to Warlord and beyond. (Please note ALMOST - I'm sure there are LOADS of pvp players who are Warlords that don't use treasure cards, but
as a general rule)

mlb

I've been looking for a thread to endorse Ravenfell's brilliant idea regarding Keen Eyes/Tough cards. This is the single most flawed aspect of the game: consider what it takes to craft a Storm Lord card, or the cost of a true Storm Lord card at the Bazaar, verses the 50 gold pieces needed to make one with a Keen Eyes card from the library. Remove the cards from the library (and the Bazaar!) and you will definitely increase interest in trading, reduce PvP abuse, increase the value of real treasure cards and fix all complaints regarding Wild Bolts and Judgements with one simple step! I am really surprised KI has not already picked up on this issue and corrected it.

Corwin Stormhammer
Grandmaster Storm Wizard