Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My son is crying and so is my pocket book

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
AlicornsPrayer wrote:
artistd10353 wrote:
I think you are missing the point. Yes i do agree with you that mounts should be "earned" and not treated like some "fast-food item". That is what everyone is arguing about! KI is treating them like some "fast-food" item by making them accessible by purchasing crowns at any convenience store! The fact that just about ANYONE can go buy some crowns to get these mounts cheapens the whole concept. So what we are seeing are many low level crown players with mounts while the higher level subscription players are working their butts off farming to "earn" them. IMO mounts should be gotten ONLY with in world money (coins) that you have earned.

Autumn Mistbreeze Grandmaster Life
Ashley Deathblossom Master Death

And you know just how someone bought their mount? Whether they used coin or crowns? Not to mention, even at the crown prices, the mounts aren't exactly cheap..

And what if that person has been actually earning their crowns? We just got done before the release, with a round of contests in KI that guess what the prize was...Crowns. So how do you know that that character's mount wasn't bought with crowns they won? Or crowns that they used their hard earned dollars to pay for from a paycheck or saved allowance? Or that they've been saving up their crowns a bit at at time, and when the mounts were released, they had the unspent crowns to purchase it with? Or that someone didn't gift them said mount with either earned coins or their own crowns?

How do you know that it's a newbie that purchased their mount with crowns period? Considering that the mounts are switchable between characters, that low level character on a mount very well could have been purchased with coins from a higher level character. Or that it wasn't bought as a gift, for a special celebration, by crowns or coins by another player? As that's part of the game too, to be able to gift friends and family with mounts?

Heck, my hubby just bought his mount last night with his higher level character (which he had that character save the coins for purchase)...And guess what he's doing right at this moment? Running around Wizard City with his new character, which is lower leveled, who's using that same mount...So if you think that little level 20 character running around purchased their mount with crowns? You better be doing some more evaluating. And considering he's starting another character this weekend, who will be riding that mount from the get-go? Again....You'll be seriously in error if you're assuming that crowns were used to purchase the mount and the owner of that character didn't 'earn' their right to own it.

Buying the mount with crowns is anything but 'fast food' purchasing. As it takes a great deal of real money on the purchaser's end to begin with, to pay for those crowns to be used in the first place. Not to mention, you have absolutely no clue in how the mount owners purchased their mounts to begin with. All you have is what you 'assume' they used, as well as to whether or not they're a 'newbie/lower level' player or an established player playing one of their new characters....

Let you in on a secret...A bunch of people made new character to use in the test realm...And they used their established, more advanced characters to farm for coins, as well as saved their crowns, so that when the mounts were released they could purchase one right off...And many of them are currently using those mounts for ALL their characters. They PLANNED how they'd purchase their mounts and put a lot of effort and time into earning their mounts via the available means to have one. Crowns or coins. And neither way is cheap by any stretch of the imagination, in today's economy.

Your assumption is just as insulting in it's implications, as the OP that started this thread with calling people 'ignorant, no lifes who sit in front of a computer all day'. Because your own perspective is nothing more but assumption, innuendo, and wishful thinking about what you'd like to think is the situation behind those with the mounts...

This 'Keeping up with the Joneses' and assuming about how others have gotten their in-game perks is going way overboard. Seems there's a few people worried all about what someone else has instead of doing something so they can have it for themselves too.

RIGHT ON !!!

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
LOL! I actually 'get' what people are whining about in regards to the crowns...

Here's the thing though. KI isn't forcing anyone here to purchase crowns to get the mounts. If you don't want to buy them, then you'll just have to schleep around till you have the in-game coins saved up to purchase one...

What? You or someone else doesn't want to farm for the coins to get the mounts? Again, KI isn't forcing you to farm to get the coins for them either.

Oh? And agreeing with me? I don't thinks so, when people start passing value judgements on those that did use crowns to get their mounts and decide to lable that with the 'fast food easy' that I used...

'Fast food' is cheap and easy to obtain...And people here that are whining about those with mounts, of how 'unfair' it is that these mounts cost this in crowns or coins? Are whining, insisting that KI needs to 'lower the prices' to make it more easily accessable for those that who don't want to invest in crowns or who are too lazy to put in extra effort into farming to get their mounts...

While the whole time, putting down those that do have the mounts because they choose to invest their hard earned dollars in the crowns or were willing to aggressively farm for their coins to purchase those mounts.

And those that have suggest alternative means to raise the coins? Or have defended those that purchased with crowns? Have been told they were 'ignorant no lifes who sit in front of a computer all day' or told that they didn't 'earn' their mounts cause they used coins instead?

People want to cry about how their 'paying members'? Well guess what? So are the majority of those players who have mounts. The fact that they could afford to get their mount, when you haven't yet? Isn't a reason to demand that they be denied doing so by whatever method they used to obtain that perk. YOU don't want to go to those lengths? Then nobody, let alone KI, is forcing you to do so yourself.

Several here have given advice about how to earn those extra coins, or save up one's crowns, to those whining about how 'unfair' they feel it is for someone else to have a mount while they don't...Rather then crying about it or trashing those that do have them, why aren't ya'll in the game playing to actually save towards having what you're wanting?

Or is it just easier to whine, hope to gain a bit of sympathy, while guilting those of us who actually got off our rears and worked towards saving and gaining those mounts? While hoping that someone makes it 'easier' for you to obtain one while everyone else that already has their mounts, has all their efforts in getting one minimized by ya'lls complaints about 'how unfair' it is that they can do it buy you can't?

We pay for our memberships too. We also put aside a bit at a time, crown funds for situations just like this...The fact that those with their mounts showed the ability to save for the privelage shouldn't be fodder for ya'll to trash and insult them over...

Everyone here was given fair warning about the mounts going to be implimented in the game prior to the test realm being opened. As well as everyone here was fairly warned by those testing the realm, about the cost of those mounts...If anyone here didn't have a mount of their own when they were made public? Then that's YOUR issue and shouldn't be put on the shoulders of either KI or those that made those purchases.

Tell you what...Since some of you think it's your place to tell those with the mounts whether they should have them or not, that they shouldn't spend their crowns on this or that? Just how would you feel about those same players coming and telling you what you should and shouldn't be spending your hard earned money on or telling you what you do and don't deserve in this game, cause you have it and they don't?

You'd tell them where to go, that's what. So why ever do you think that your 'opinions' about what they deserve/don't deserve or what they should/shouldn't spend their crowns on is any more relevant?

Instead of being jealous of what they have, actually do something to save towards having it yourself. If that's putting aside $5 at a time towards crown, or putting aside part of your time to farm? Then in the end you'll realize just how special that mount is, just as each of us with our mounts find it special cause of how we had to save to get them...With either saving in-game coins or by saving crowns.

But DON'T sit there and put down those that actually did that...It's rude, unnecessary, and deffinately not your place to judge whether or not they have a right to enjoying their in-game perks or not.

As it is, I managed to save up in little time, the price for a dragon mount. As well as almost got enough to purchase another in-game home. And heck, if I can do that with my busy schedual? Then anyone here can do the same. But it's actually being inclined to be motivated to do such things. Rather then waiting for it to be given to you on a platter and as easy as possible.

The good things in life, whether real or virtual, don't come free or without effort on your part. Some sacrifice, somewhere, has to happen. If that means sacrificing your soda money for a bit? Or sacrificing buying that fancy leveled outfit for your character? That's for you to decide for yourself or do without having that mount. But bashing those that made those leaps or sacrifices isn't the way to obtain what you're wanting.

Community Leader
RatchetMan wrote:

1) In Guildwars there is no subscription.
2) In GuildWars all in game items can be purchased with gold.

Now GuildWars has been running since 2005 I believe and is still running now. This shows that it CAN be done.

Except that Guild Wars DOES have a cash shop. Extra in-game storage? Extra character slots? Special pet, weapons or equipment packs? Unlike skills normally reserved for PVP? Change your character's name? Their appearance? Yeah, all that costs real world money.

You're also forgetting that, while subscription free, GW is not free in and of itself. The base game and all subsequent expansion packs must be purchased.

I've been a GW player since the second beta test. There has always been a cash component.

Explorer
Feb 08, 2009
Some people don't even have time to save up enough coins. Like I only have half an hour a day. I mean I am not saying mounts are helpful but it is just so so so so annoying to have all your good friends on the game saying something like "Can you gift me please?" it is just getting plain annoying!

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Consider an alternate idea....

The mounts are purchased with Crowns or In-Game Gold (A lot of gold). I bought a broom for my son (for 50,000 gold) permanent (My level 50 had over 100,000 gold at the time.) and trade it between characters depending on the character we are playing. I have six.

The henchmen should be in game gold in my opinion too. Some fights can't be handled without another character (several quests in fact) and it hard to find a player character to run a dungeon with sometimes.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
Are you serious? These items are way overpriced. I could buy 5-9 different houses for what one mount costs in gold. Also in crowns, who is going to buy a 30 dollar mount just to make you go faster. No thanks, I will just walk.
Kingsisle, I would suggest that you lower the price or else everyone is going to stop paying an you will just have to learn the hard way when your profits go down.

Stephen IceBreeze, lvl 24, adept thaumaturge

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
I have an easy way to make money.(it's not so quick if you have a lot of stuff) Just sell everything your not wearing. If you do that every...........what? every month? you would get A LOT of gold FAST.(it basically doesn't work for people who don't move that much quickly like do one battle a day but if you move fast it could work fast) and the ideal selling spot is the Bazaar. it actually works(But please,please,please,please,PLEASE DON'T SELL YOUR DECKS)(actually,you can sell them if there another school only deck) Any way bye!hope that helps!

Mark Crowhead,Lv 28 Life Wizard

Defender
Jun 17, 2009
sgeier wrote:
OK, just so there's not a completely skewed picture out there:

I, for one, find absolutely nothing whatsoever objectionable to the new updates.

Everything that worked before, still works. Noting was removed. If you paid for a subscription, you're still getting every last bit of what you got before the update.

Period.

Who are these people telling us how the mount prices are "unfair"? You don't have to get one. It does not make the game play an iota better or easier . It's pretty eye candy that you can now buy IF YOU WANT in addition to everything you got before. That's all. You make as much gold in-game as the next guy - how is it 'unfair' that he's saving his for a mount where you're frittering yours away?

That said: I've been playing this game since August with my son. Less than three months. In that time, I have received hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of gold, simply by normal game play. You get gold for every quest. You get gold for every battle. You get gold when you sell the items that you got in battle. You get gold for selling reagents you picked up that are available free all over the place. You get gold for wooden chests. You can even try your hand at crafting and selling crafted items. I have now the three most expensive houses one can buy (the large ones from MB, MS and DS) and was pondering posting to these boards asking why there is a limit of three. I have the finest outfit gold can buy at the bazaar. What on earth are you people frittering your gold away on?

Maybe some people need to learn that you either spend your money now, this moment, on the thing you want this second - or you save it for something bigger, better, later. And for those who aren't quite mature enough to learn this, KI even allows you to cheat by getting things completely undeserved by buying-in from the outside with crowns. How much more could they do?

Maybe next time you hit a multiple-of-five level you shouldn't run immediately to the Bazaar and get that shiny new wand (that'll get thrown out immediately when you get to the next multiple-of-five, of course). Maybe you should just hang on to that coat, even though there's one that gives you one percent more defense strength. Maybe if you actually wanted these large items (houses, mounts) you'd simply save for them. Maybe. There's a lot of gold flowing through your hands. It's up to you where it goes.

i am sorry but i truely agree with this poster.. It is not MANDATORY to buy everything in wizard101 it is for the luxeries of people who dedicate their time to loyal playing and getting their own money...

i for one played for 2 months got 2 grands myth and death.. spent about 300 dollars in crowns.. yet i do not have a mount.. why well i ended up outgrowing wizard101 and turned to other games but again...

the way the cost is.. it is reasonable for the players who want a GOAL! to get them not to WHINE AND CRY ABOUT wanting the item through crowns. i mean what are you crazy.. seriously..

Delver
Jun 30, 2009
I know! It's annoying to have to pay 50$ for a Mount!!!! It's a little to much? It's like they think they are going poor? Really. With 5 million players? No no.. It's time for a change.

Survivor
Nov 06, 2009
sgeier wrote:

I, for one, find absolutely nothing whatsoever objectionable to the new updates.

Everything that worked before, still works. Noting was removed. If you paid for a subscription, you're still getting every last bit of what you got before the update.

Period.

Who are these people telling us how the mount prices are "unfair"? You don't have to get one. It does not make the game play an iota better or easier . It's pretty eye candy that you can now buy IF YOU WANT in addition to everything you got before. That's all. You make as much gold in-game as the next guy - how is it 'unfair' that he's saving his for a mount where you're frittering yours away?

That said: I've been playing this game since August with my son. Less than three months. In that time, I have received hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of gold, simply by normal game play. You get gold for every quest. You get gold for every battle. You get gold when you sell the items that you got in battle. You get gold for selling reagents you picked up that are available free all over the place. You get gold for wooden chests. You can even try your hand at crafting and selling crafted items. I have now the three most expensive houses one can buy (the large ones from MB, MS and DS) and was pondering posting to these boards asking why there is a limit of three. I have the finest outfit gold can buy at the bazaar. What on earth are you people frittering your gold away on?

Maybe some people need to learn that you either spend your money now, this moment, on the thing you want this second - or you save it for something bigger, better, later. And for those who aren't quite mature enough to learn this, KI even allows you to cheat by getting things completely undeserved by buying-in from the outside with crowns. How much more could they do?

Maybe next time you hit a multiple-of-five level you shouldn't run immediately to the Bazaar and get that shiny new wand (that'll get thrown out immediately when you get to the next multiple-of-five, of course). Maybe you should just hang on to that coat, even though there's one that gives you one percent more defense strength. Maybe if you actually wanted these large items (houses, mounts) you'd simply save for them. Maybe. There's a lot of gold flowing through your hands. It's up to you where it goes.

I agree they are not making you buy anything. If your kids in his room crying over a mount I think you need to do some parenting. And I am a father and have been for 11 years, if my kid acted like that she would not be playing this game.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
We love playing this game, and got very excited when they added another world and all the other extras. But everyone is correct that it is getting overpriced. I recommend this game to a lot of people it's a fantastic alternative for another popular online game we all know of. But if you keep making things cost so much and everything is extra, you may end up losing customers in the long run.

I personally would suggest a lot more quests to get mounts, swords, special attire, ect... Just like that other online game does. More side quests would encourage players to stay around and play more.

Survivor
Sep 17, 2009
sgeier wrote:

Period.

I THINK that you completely missed the point! what she meant was that she was angry with kingisle that they made this addition. even though i am willing to save up for $20 so i can have my broom he's just a kid!

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
azelda49 wrote:
I THINK that you completely missed the point! what she meant was that she was angry with kingisle that they made this addition. even though i am willing to save up for $20 so i can have my broom he's just a kid!

What does his being a kid have to do with saving up money or in-game coins for a mount, have to do with anything? Are you saying it's hard or unnecessary to teach one's child how to save? Or that they can't or shouldn't have to learn to save on their own?

Saving for something, shouldn't revolve around the age of the person. As there is, there's plenty of children who play this game, who have saving down to a fine art and manage to get their mounts as well as other ingame perks. Who weren't sitting there crying about 'how unfair, hard, expensive' it was. Nor were they crying in their bedrooms and their parents resorting to posting to what basically boils down to 'my kid is throwing a temper tantrum because he can't get a mount as quickly as others got their mounts'...

By the way? If you read further on in the thread? Her son actually did chores and side jobs to earn the money, so he could afford crowns for a mount...So 'just that kid' was able to accomplish it eventually by saving too and it didn't take him as long as his mother and him first were complaining about. He had his mount 6 days after the release and his mother posting the first post that day of the release.

6 days to earn and save for crowns, when the original beginning stance was 'it was impossible and unfair'...

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
sgeier wrote:

Period.

I Totally agree, if you can't afford it then you can't have it. No one is forcing you or your children to buy anything. It's that simple... If I cry for months in my bedroom and posts on the Mercedes Benz forums do you think they will lower the price of the 500 SL? no? but I really want one? KingIsles Entertainment is not a non-profit organization, they have everyright to intice you to some upgrade to their products and charge you what ever they want for it, they are not forcing you to buy it.

Djark

Djark

Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
I feel you guys pain too.Ever since I herd the mount and the other new things were relesed I was so exited intil I herd what the prices of the mount were.Ever since I herd the prices I have been saving up money and selling items for gold.Im even thinking of selling my wizard home(not just because of the new items I also dont like the way it looks)to get more gold faster.NOW I have more than enafe money to buy crowns to buy several mounts but Im still begging my parents to conbine their money and the money I have saved up to buy crowns.

Defender
Feb 19, 2009
Djarknaein wrote:
sgeier wrote:

Period.

I Totally agree, if you can't afford it then you can't have it. No one is forcing you or your children to buy anything. It's that simple... If I cry for months in my bedroom and posts on the Mercedes Benz forums do you think they will lower the price of the 500 SL? no? but I really want one? KingIsles Entertainment is not a non-profit organization, they have everyright to intice you to some upgrade to their products and charge you what ever they want for it, they are not forcing you to buy it.

Djark

Djark

Uh, there is a DIFFERENCE between something in REAl LIFE and something in-game. Some people don't have the time to play the game much

Survivor
Aug 31, 2008

I really hate how much it cost to. I still getting gold and all I have is 30,000 gold and I have been doing this all day and night. I cant get a thing cause every thing I sell is so cheap.I mean 90,000 really? in WOW ( World of Warcraft) a mound for a level 20 cost 5 gold! that's so cheap!And it makes you like 60% faster.I mean come on Wizard101.

really knock it down a notch.

Kenneth DuneWard,
Level 26 Ice wizard.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
I am fifteen and my mom does NOT LIKE to buy crowns all the time. I have to save the gold in the game to get a broom but it is hard for a Grandmaster Fire to do that after I've beaten the game. The cost for the subscription is TOO HIGH already, so to buy crowns all the time for the things I want is crazy. I would like KI to let the MEMBERS get one broom, and one animal (dragon, horse, lion, etc ) of their choice free. Especially since parents are the ones mostly footing the bill for us to play. If a lot of parents are like my mom they signed us up cause we bugged or somehow talked them into it to start with. Even though my spelling and typing skills have gotten better my mom thinks I already spend too much time on here and usually refuses to buy crowns due to the crazy high prices.

I would very much like to have a broom but because of the price I have stopped asking my mom for one. I like the brooms, I think they are really cool and make getting around the worlds MUCH easier and quicker. :x :(

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009

Uh, there is a DIFFERENCE between something in REAl LIFE and something in-game. Some people don't have the time to play the game much

hunh? The car reference is to show you that they are both luxuries that you don't need. I need car to work and I have one it's not the latest most expensive model but it does the job. I need video games to relaxe and enjoy myself, I don't have the latest games with all the upgrades there is but I have some and they do the job.

Djark

Explorer
May 31, 2008
I am afraid Sgier you are missing something, I play the game on 2 characters, and one is maxed out, the other has lots of gold. I want a mount on main character and i want to change the school of him.
But this all costs crowns, i think in my opinion its probably better to be a crowns player, you have access to much more features of the game this way.

The only thing stopping me is the PvP, i love it and i wouldn't want to pay out 80 crowns per game.

The problem is Maxed out characters will have spent the gold, and whats left to farm for if you already have the best gear for your character.

This is the problem, All Mounts should be 20,000 gold. I even think the CROWN COSTS are pushing it, the best mounts are 15,000 crowns, just to make you GO FASTER?!

It doesn't make sense, It should be 7000 crowns for all of the permanent mounts. Period.

Kingsisle i hope you read this clearly.

sgeier wrote:

Period.

Explorer
Mar 02, 2009
I dont want to sound mean or insulting in any way, but people really need to stop complaining. KI added these as a gift to us, to make the game more enjoyable, and now people are insulting there hard work. Were also lucky they even give us the gold buying option. Thats my opinion on the matter.

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
You know, mounts are available for gold as well as crowns. If your son really wants a mount, tell him that he's going to have to earn it himself. It seems as though your son has been spoiled a little too much. Teach him the value of hard work. For a mere 50,000 coins, your son could get a chestnut pony.

Delver
Jun 30, 2009
sgeier wrote:

Period.

Well, some things don't sell.
And people don't always have enough time to get the gold and sell there robes, and shoes and others.
And also the deal with crowns, some people don't want to spend 50$ on a game. Yeah, it's fun. But people have lives, children and they have to feed them. So the next time you want to yell at someone, think before you say anything. Because apparently no one wants to have your input.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2008
this game is good and all but they should think about THE PRIZE OF CASH IS TO MUCH

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
XMike551X wrote:
sgeier wrote:

Well, some things don't sell.
And people don't always have enough time to get the gold and sell there robes, and shoes and others.
And also the deal with crowns, some people don't want to spend 50$ on a game. Yeah, it's fun. But people have lives, children and they have to feed them. So the next time you want to yell at someone, think before you say anything. Because apparently no one wants to have your input.

1. Everything sells in the game. Just some things can't be sold to the bazaar.

2. Everyone has the time to make gold. The question is, are they willing to give up play time to make that gold. And selling their stuff isn't time consuming. In fact, they have to sell it cause the backpacks, banks, and attics are limited in how much they can hold.

3. And KI isn't making anyone spend a penny on crowns. It's completely an option to purchase crowns. So those not wanting to buy crowns or can't buy crowns, doesn't have to purchase the crowns period.

4. Funny, but the poster isn't yelling. So leave out the over-emotionalism in telling him to do otherwise please.

5. The poster put a lot of thought into their thread. The fact that you don't like what they posted, doesn't deter from the fact that they actually did what you say they didn't. Leave the insulting out of it, because that's all your 'think next time' is...A weak attempt at insulting someone because you didn't like what they had to say.

6. Equally, because you don't like what they said, doesn't equal into the assumption that 'nobody wants to have your input'...Because not have people quoted this member's post in agreeance, but a number of them have added in their own advice supporting the same postition as the poster you're so inadequately trying to slur against...

The simple matter is, people that don't want to put effort into getting the mounts are throwing hissy fits about having to put effort into getting those mounts. They've learned over time, that whining about something enough has dumbed down so much of the game, that they figure doing it with the mounts will result in the same.

Basically, an addition to the game that IS supposed to be a status symbol, has players wanting it dumb down so it's easily accessable. Thus in return, no longer being the 'status symbol' of which they were created as being in the first place.

So far, not one good excuse as been given outside of the excuse that 'I want it, make it so I can get it easily and with no fuss'. WHILE making digs at those that do have the mounts as they're basically being show-offs or some type of 'super person' in game managing to do the 'impossible' simply cause the person crying only wants to put in the minimal effort they want to put into actually getting one.

Because nobody HAS to have a mount. It doesn't add anything to the actual fighting in the game.

Some great suggestions have been given on how to collect the coins faster to get the mounts. Whether or not you or anyone here are willing to do it yourself, is your issues. Not the issue of those giving sound, logical advice.

There's no issues of 'not being able to' in regards to earning the coins. The only thing stopping any player to earn coin, is the willingness of that player to actually go out there and do some farming.

Accessability isn't an issue, as players can access any area in the game through their friends lists. Having things to sell in-game isn't an issue. The majority of time you play, you collect items that are sellable. As well as you have to sell items, because you can't keep each and every item you get in the first place because of holding limitations. Every regeant is available in each world of the spiral except 3 commons that produce their own special rares. But because of friends lists, accessing those areas are as easy as hitting 'talk to friend', then 'teleport to friend', and then setting a marker in the common of that world.

People just need to decide are they going to be go-getters or be the type to sit and cry till hopefully what they want is handed to them on their imaginary silver platters.

Because that's what it's boiled down to. Those actually willing to go do something so they can get their mounts. And those sitting there hoping the mounts will pop up in their backpacks with the least effort on their parts.