Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My son is crying and so is my pocket book

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
The recent additions in the mounts and other various features are extremely over priced. We have a family of four on here and pay a substantial monthly fee to play already. The very thought that buying mounts for our family would roughly cost the equivalent of nearly a YEAR's SUBSCRIPTION TO THE GAME!!!!***&&%%% is ridiculous. My son is crying hysterically in his room because this is going to take him two months of allowance to save for or at the very least four months of game play without buying a single item for gold.

Just like the whole crafting debacle...Kings Isle has got it wrong AGAIN!!

With competition like Free Realms with better graphics and more features...I don't know how long will I feel like paying for a game with no consideration for its paying patrons and no additional benefits.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2009
EXactly!!! I let my son buy a mount for one of his characters, so he's not crying. But I am.... I can't afford $50 to buy cartoon horses for our wizards... LOL, I have enough guilt that we spent more than that to play this game, then another $25 to buy other things... now I need to fork over more money... or spend hours and hours trying to get the gold.. maybe lower the price of the mounts to 20k gold for permanent. That's reasonable.
One thing I have noticed, is the mounts or the updates, have made my wizard run so slow or crazy, like she has no bodily control.... just sayin

fiennesite wrote:
The recent additions in the mounts and other various features are extremely over priced. We have a family of four on here and pay a substantial monthly fee to play already. The very thought that buying mounts for our family would roughly cost the equivalent of nearly a YEAR's SUBSCRIPTION TO THE GAME!!!!***&&%%% is ridiculous. My son is crying hysterically in his room because this is going to take him two months of allowance to save for or at the very least four months of game play without buying a single item for gold.

Just like the whole crafting debacle...Kings Isle has got it wrong AGAIN!!

With competition like Free Realms with better graphics and more features...I don't know how long will I feel like paying for a game with no consideration for its paying patrons and no additional benefits.

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
I am also very annoyed at this, and other things of the new update. I tell my little bro about the new henchmen feature, and since I get on the test realm, I told him he could buy these to help him in Marlybone. Now I find Kingsisle is making basicly every new feature for crowns only. And I can't get a mount with crowns, I'm one of the younger players and I don't have enough play time to make 90,000 gold for the mount I want.

Survivor
May 24, 2009
Man, i know how you guys feel. Me and my brother have to keep pooling our cash to play Wizard101 and the mounts and everything else are expensive enough. You could buy a good Xbox 360 game for a year subsciption that is proabably way better. I also don't know how i'm gonna make 90,000 gold for a supid horse that will just make me go faster. PLEASE either add some more bonuses so the'll be worth my money or at least make them cheaper or i'm done with wizard101.

~ Dolan IceBlade
Lv 46 Ice Wizard

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
I think the problem was that in the test realm everyone was given 20,000 crowns, and noone realized how much that cost in real money, since it was all free at that time. Having all the additions that were put into the game overpowered any real thought about having to pay for the extra stuff. I've seen in the test realm people begging for things, they blew through their crowns in no time at all.
I myself have spent much more this year on this game alone than I've spent on games in the last 2 years, and that was to buy crowns.
I think KingsIsle did a wonderful job with this latest update, but they need to re-think the crown situation. Ever since they allow us to trade in our training points and start over (using crowns, of course) I will not buy more until they change.
I doubt the public will see this, since most of my messages aren't published.
My kids and I love this game, but its getting so that I can't afford the new things they are offering.

Rogan FireHammer

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
To my surprise, I just checked and I was astounded (sp) at how much they cost. My apologies to a previous poster who may a statement about the cost. I should have checked my facts before replying to your post. The cost of the mounts are way too high.

I was looking forward to purchasing one, but now I can't. : (

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
My mom (Fiennesite) started this post and I'm going to continue it!
Also I'm one of the younger players too. And I have to say for myself I am totally disgusted with this Bottom feeding of Mom's And Dad's wallet! And I spent an hour crying in my room cause my mom wouldn't pay. And you can also get a used DS for the amount of crowns you get each year. And I don't wanna pay 90,000 gold or 50 dollars worth of crowns. Also I don't care if the brooms are 50,000 gold or 20 dollars worth of crowns. I am just totally disgusted with you Kingsisle. If you do not lower the price I am going to completely stop playing Wizard 101 and stick with your competing MMO Free Realms.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
OK, just so there's not a completely skewed picture out there:

I, for one, find absolutely nothing whatsoever objectionable to the new updates.

Everything that worked before, still works. Noting was removed. If you paid for a subscription, you're still getting every last bit of what you got before the update.

Period.

Who are these people telling us how the mount prices are "unfair"? You don't have to get one. It does not make the game play an iota better or easier . It's pretty eye candy that you can now buy IF YOU WANT in addition to everything you got before. That's all. You make as much gold in-game as the next guy - how is it 'unfair' that he's saving his for a mount where you're frittering yours away?

That said: I've been playing this game since August with my son. Less than three months. In that time, I have received hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of gold, simply by normal game play. You get gold for every quest. You get gold for every battle. You get gold when you sell the items that you got in battle. You get gold for selling reagents you picked up that are available free all over the place. You get gold for wooden chests. You can even try your hand at crafting and selling crafted items. I have now the three most expensive houses one can buy (the large ones from MB, MS and DS) and was pondering posting to these boards asking why there is a limit of three. I have the finest outfit gold can buy at the bazaar. What on earth are you people frittering your gold away on?

Maybe some people need to learn that you either spend your money now, this moment, on the thing you want this second - or you save it for something bigger, better, later. And for those who aren't quite mature enough to learn this, KI even allows you to cheat by getting things completely undeserved by buying-in from the outside with crowns. How much more could they do?

Maybe next time you hit a multiple-of-five level you shouldn't run immediately to the Bazaar and get that shiny new wand (that'll get thrown out immediately when you get to the next multiple-of-five, of course). Maybe you should just hang on to that coat, even though there's one that gives you one percent more defense strength. Maybe if you actually wanted these large items (houses, mounts) you'd simply save for them. Maybe. There's a lot of gold flowing through your hands. It's up to you where it goes.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Doraslayer wrote:
Man, i know how you guys feel. Me and my brother have to keep pooling our cash to play Wizard101 and the mounts and everything else are expensive enough. You could buy a good Xbox 360 game for a year subsciption that is proabably way better. I also don't know how i'm gonna make 90,000 gold for a supid horse that will just make me go faster. PLEASE either add some more bonuses so the'll be worth my money or at least make them cheaper or i'm done with wizard101.

~ Dolan IceBlade
Lv 46 Ice Wizard

DUDE, i'm feeling you!!!! i'm skipping the getting 90,000 gold, i'm doing tree of life every day 4 a rental! lol, better than waiting your whole life for a horse!

Champion
Jan 27, 2009
well if you people really want one for gold then unless you have beaten gh you are in bad shape. the all time BEST money makers in the game are the ravens at the end of gh. for each battle you can sell the items you get at the auction for usually around 1500 to 2000 gold. it will still take time but it is a lot faster than any other way.
P.S. works better with grandmasters.

Explorer
Feb 08, 2009
I agree they are way over priced. Every time me and my friend got on the test realm we said that the mounts are super over priced. I think that kingsisle is being very rude. One way i found to over look this is to get really nice friends with mounts and ask them to go to the place you need to its very helpful. That is what I let my friend do because he doesn't have a mount and i do.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2009
sgeier wrote:

I, for one, find absolutely nothing whatsoever objectionable to the new updates.

Everything that worked before, still works. Noting was removed. If you paid for a subscription, you're still getting every last bit of what you got before the update.

Period.

Who are these people telling us how the mount prices are "unfair"? You don't have to get one. It does not make the game play an iota better or easier . It's pretty eye candy that you can now buy IF YOU WANT in addition to everything you got before. That's all. You make as much gold in-game as the next guy - how is it 'unfair' that he's saving his for a mount where you're frittering yours away?

That said: I've been playing this game since August with my son. Less than three months. In that time, I have received hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of gold, simply by normal game play. You get gold for every quest. You get gold for every battle. You get gold when you sell the items that you got in battle. You get gold for selling reagents you picked up that are available free all over the place. You get gold for wooden chests. You can even try your hand at crafting and selling crafted items. I have now the three most expensive houses one can buy (the large ones from MB, MS and DS) and was pondering posting to these boards asking why there is a limit of three. I have the finest outfit gold can buy at the bazaar. What on earth are you people frittering your gold away on?

Maybe some people need to learn that you either spend your money now, this moment, on the thing you want this second - or you save it for something bigger, better, later. And for those who aren't quite mature enough to learn this, KI even allows you to cheat by getting things completely undeserved by buying-in from the outside with crowns. How much more could they do?

Maybe next time you hit a multiple-of-five level you shouldn't run immediately to the Bazaar and get that shiny new wand (that'll get thrown out immediately when you get to the next multiple-of-five, of course). Maybe you should just hang on to that coat, even though there's one that gives you one percent more defense strength. Maybe if you actually wanted these large items (houses, mounts) you'd simply save for them. Maybe. There's a lot of gold flowing through your hands. It's up to you where it goes.

Whilst I agree that you do indeed get enough gold in the game for tasks, I have to say that I do think the mounts are a little steep, but that aside the items available from the crown shop does seem a little unfair whilst the henchmen are not expensive they might as well cost the earth if you have no crowns. Then there are the second chance chests crowns again.
And the only way my daughter is able to get crowns is to beg us as we do not get the gift cards over here.
So whilst you see nothing objectionable spare a thought for the little kids who see the pretty pony or dragon and want one (after all who wants a broom) or the nagged adults who are only left to feel mean

And whilst I am at it KI could you please sort out gift cards for the UK pretty please if only so I can have a quiet life.

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
sgeier wrote:

Period.

You are absolutely correct, no one has to buy one if they feel that they can not afford one, but if no one buys one because the CUSTOMER (you know the people who keep KI in business) believes that the pricing is too high, than it won't help KI's bottom line. If you have ever taken economics, it's called Supply and Demand. If their customers are saying that the pricing is too high and they refused to buy them, than KI doesn't make any money. So you see as you stated "Who are these people telling us how the mount prices are "unfair" They are the CUSTOMER and if the many posters and players are saying the pricing is unfair, than KI needs to listen. There are way too many post on here and chats about this for them to continue not. KI has to decide whether to maintain the current pricing or sell their product and make money.

Survivor
Oct 14, 2009
So honestly I don't understand all the qq'ing over gold. There are plenty of games out there that take WAY WAAAYYY more time invested to gain mounts, items or mass amounts of gold. WoW being a large one in my mind.

It all has to do with saving and if you only play an hour a day or something it will take you time, as the guy said above me, if you blow all your gold on simple upgrades instead of looking at the big picture.

Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
Dragons are 15000 crowns. 90000 gold
Male tiger and bengal are 15000 crowns. 90000 gold.
Lioness is 10000 crowns. 85000 gold.
Mare and stallion are 7000 crowns. 70000 gold.
Horned bromm is 7000 crowns. 70000 gold.
Purple glider is 5600 crowns. 56000 gold.
Pony is 5000 crowns. 50000 gold.
Enchanted bromm is 5000 crowns. 50000 gold.
These are all permanent

lets edit this a little:

Male tiger and bengal are $30 or 90000 gold.
Lioness is $20 or 85000 gold.
Mare and stallion are $14 or 70000 gold.
Horned bromm is $14 or 70000 gold.
Purple glider is $11.20 or 56000 gold.
Pony is $10 or 50000 gold.
Enchanted bromm is $10 or 50000 gold.

BAHAHAHAHAHA $30 for an IN GAME ITEM!??? um no. I could buy an ENTIRE NEW VIDEO GAME FOR $30!!

that is pure greed on KI's part. An in game item that cost as much as 3 months of subscribing? Total greed

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
I was quite surprised at how high the prices were for the permanent mounts. Luckily my oldest wizard had enough gold to buy a broom that she has generously kept stored in the shared bank so my other wizards can borrow it.

As a subscriber I am a bit bummed that I won't be enjoying any of the other nice crown benefits though. I would have loved to use the new stitch feature or try out a henchman but I refuse to pay extra money for it. I also refuse to pay money to get that MB car that I've been wanting on my estate since the first time I landed in Marleybone. I'm almost 40 years old and I've learnt you can't have everything you want in life. But children don't have 40 years of experience behind them. They don't realize how much things cost and when parents deny them something that their friends are able to get it hurts. Kids want to be like everyone else.

I think mounts should cost a big chunk of gold. But the current price is a bit high and almost seem geared towards forcing players to invest real money and buy it with crowns instead. I also think that subscribers should get a little bit of crowns every month so that they have the opportunity to save up for all the features available. Otherwise what is the benefit of being a subscriber at all?

Survivor
Dec 25, 2008
I agree that kids can't get the mounts and stuff and I am going to seriously consider stopping my three subscriptions becasue of this!

With economy that is ridiculous to pay ten dollars for crowns to buy things that have no concrete worth.

COME ON KINGSISLE YOU ARE MESSING THIS ONCE NICE GAME UP

Delver
May 29, 2009
I play a lot of video games and a few computer games. I like to buy my games because then I own them and can play them at my convenience. The down side is they get boring after you have beaten them for the umpteenth time.

This game is meant to be fun and enjoyed and is ever changing. Nowhere does it say that in order to play the game do we HAVE to purchase crowns or crown based items. In fact, with persistence and patience these items are often given to us as rewards for defeating bosses. Yes it is more fun and aesthetic to see and own these new things. Players and administrators throw out suggestions and ideas on how to obtain them and earn or win crowns.

I play on Pogo. They have a free version that does not have all the nice graphics and has advertisements during intermission. They also have Club Pogo which offers more games, better graphics, and no ad interruptions. I paid for a year's subscription of $40 a year to play the extra games that are not available on the free version. I buy Pogo gems to use for additional badges or to get that certain something for my mini avatar. Do I NEED to buy the gems in order to have fun playing the game? No. They are extras that want.

Same thing with the new features on W101. Nobody needs a mount, elixir, stitching, or henchmen to play the game. They just make it more fun.

If you want that mount that costs 15,000 crowns/90,000 gold then save for it or do like I am: wait for it to go on sale. I just bought the chestnut pony for $40,000 gold because it was on sale this week.

If you are still confused think of it like owning a car. Do you HAVE to have a car to get around? No there are other modes of transportation. Yet some people pay extra to have quality sound systems, rims, paint jobs, and other accessories. Are they necessary to get you where you want to go? Not at all but they are nice to have if you can afford them.

The crown items are just accessories to playing the game. Some people have the luxury of being able to afford them.

Alura Hexcaster Master Sorceress

Survivor
May 25, 2009
Funnyweather wrote:
I was quite surprised at how high the prices were for the permanent mounts. Luckily my oldest wizard had enough gold to buy a broom that she has generously kept stored in the shared bank so my other wizards can borrow it.

As a subscriber I am a bit bummed that I won't be enjoying any of the other nice crown benefits though. I would have loved to use the new stitch feature or try out a henchman but I refuse to pay extra money for it. I also refuse to pay money to get that MB car that I've been wanting on my estate since the first time I landed in Marleybone. I'm almost 40 years old and I've learnt you can't have everything you want in life. But children don't have 40 years of experience behind them. They don't realize how much things cost and when parents deny them something that their friends are able to get it hurts. Kids want to be like everyone else.

I think mounts should cost a big chunk of gold. But the current price is a bit high and almost seem geared towards forcing players to invest real money and buy it with crowns instead. I also think that subscribers should get a little bit of crowns every month so that they have the opportunity to save up for all the features available. Otherwise what is the benefit of being a subscriber at all?

I've been watching for what? six months now and KI isn't realizing our kids shouldn't be introduced to real life at the ages below sixteen with the rise in prices in Greed shouldn't be taught and that is what KI is also teaching. They like for us to think they are for our kids but they don't care about our kids, they care about their kids and their kid's christmas and other holidays. So if kI keeps it up they will see it turn around and then they will see the back side of the green bucks turning away from them cause they
refuse to think in better terms toward our kids, even for the adults who don't have much and look to this game for the quiet evenings to enjoy a light hearted game when they game isn't so light hearted with kids upset cause
KI is playing the same game as hasbro and matel and so many of the other companies. I wonder if they ever thought of how much of themselves we do not want to see that should be left to the bathroom. I care about these kids and I care about what I pay for as well and I don't see no real heart toward the kids. Kids are miserable cause they can't even have open chat even and it makes it hard for them to have good friends , it is also bad that our kids are taking advantage of others ..oh wait...so is KI. OMG what a very
very high and very bad realization. OUR KIDS ARE COPYING KI ON HOW TO BE A BAD PERSON!!!!! Or do they care? you decide cause I wouldn't want our kids who come here to play learn these sick actions and attitudes as it is hard enough with school and grades. GET REAL KI!!!!

Explorer
Feb 11, 2009
OK, I wasn't going to say anything on this one but the more i think about it, just WOW. Seriously? You spent all that time in your room crying because you couldn't get a mount? I think it's time for your family to cancel their subscriptions to this game and go to the store and buy a ball and a bat. There are 5 people in my house and we all play, including my wife and me. While I have the guardian armor and a black horse, I happen to be the only one in the house to have these items. I have been saving the crowns I have periodically purchased for my account and used some gold. My kids have spent their crowns and are excited to be saving up their gold for something more useful than a house (seeing as you can't interact with it really).

I don't have a problem whatsoever with the pricing in gold or crowns for any of the new content as they are luxury items that enhance the game but are not required. My kids are setting goals and planning (and farming) to achieve what they desire and I am proud of them for the way they look at this, mainly that it is a game, a distraction, a bit of fun throughout the week. Perhaps people that are crying over this update need a bit of perspective.

Community Leader
kordach wrote:

I don't have a problem whatsoever with the pricing in gold or crowns for any of the new content as they are luxury items that enhance the game but are not required. My kids are setting goals and planning (and farming) to achieve what they desire and I am proud of them for the way they look at this, mainly that it is a game, a distraction, a bit of fun throughout the week. Perhaps people that are crying over this update need a bit of perspective.

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes!

What a First World problem so many of us seem to have. Your family is fed, you have a roof and clothes and a computer on which to play games, but you can't afford a new batch of pixels? Darn!

Yes, I think the mounts are expensive, but they aren't even remotely necessary. They are what is commonly referred to as a 'gold sink'. They are the luxury items that longtime players can spend their excess gold on. The fact that you can also buy them with crowns is because KI has to pay the rent, just like everybody else.

Come on, people! Just because it's available does not mean you are entitled to get it immediately.

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
I'm going to have to agree with Sgeier, Runexavier,SorceressMiklai,and Kordach here.

By the way Sorceress, I'm a Club Pogo Member too. LOL!

I digress here...People seem to be forgetting that when these particular new additions were being added, the mounts were ment as 'prestige' items. Not items intended for everyone to own one, or at least not right away.

So, the fact that they're costly with crowns, or that you have to save up your in-game coins to have them, really makes a lot of sense when you think of it that way.

And since they are available for coin? It's really not that hard to farm to collect the purchase price of the mount you're wanting. I raised 1/2 myself in just 3 days...Unfortunately I accidentally sold a couple of my gear items at the time, so ended up having to repurchase them back and now I'm a bit over 1/3 of the way.

I'm sure everyone was hoping to be able to purchase a mount right off, and this is half the fuss going on...But like buying your first homes in the game? It's going to take a little bit of time to do the same with the mounts. It may take only a few days to farm for the coins or a couple of weeks, if you spend time farming the bosses and regeants, but you will have it eventually.

And if you're really impatient, then realize that the cost for that impatience is spending real money on crowns...Just like we have to do in other on-line games that we have to pay out of pocket for ingame 'perks' and specialties.

Because in the end, all these new additions to the game are exactly that...Perks. They're not necessary to the game itself, just something extra that's nice to own or use at the time.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
kordach wrote:
OK, I wasn't going to say anything on this one but the more i think about it, just WOW. Seriously? You spent all that time in your room crying because you couldn't get a mount? I think it's time for your family to cancel their subscriptions to this game and go to the store and buy a ball and a bat. There are 5 people in my house and we all play, including my wife and me. While I have the guardian armor and a black horse, I happen to be the only one in the house to have these items. I have been saving the crowns I have periodically purchased for my account and used some gold. My kids have spent their crowns and are excited to be saving up their gold for something more useful than a house (seeing as you can't interact with it really).

I agree. If my son was crying because he couldnt get an item within a game I would tell him to get over it. Its not required to play the game. He plays his games and works at getting what he wants within the games. When he gets the item he appreciates it more then it being handed to him. I'm going to stop here.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
WhimsyMust wrote:
I've been watching for what? six months now and KI isn't realizing our kids shouldn't be introduced to real life at the ages below sixteen with the rise in prices in Greed shouldn't be taught and that is what KI is also teaching.

I think something is very wrong here. Now, before I get into things, let me point out that I am not going to buy most of these luxury items that just came out...they aren't needed for game play. Then again, I'm not loaded down in bling nor wear designer clothing in real life. But on to real issues...

These items were meant as very special items, not something everyone would have, and the few who had them would know they earned them. They gave two options, earn in game gold and buy, or do extra chores, etc, real life and buy via crowns. Either way, these luxuries are earned and special. To ease the problems of younger children not being able to save in game gold, they now allow parents to spend their gold and buy as gifts. What it sounds like is that some people don't want these as special, but a common item. Where is the sense in making extraneous items to game play a common item?

Now, we adults can look at the other side. Let us say, 10 thousand (permanant) mounts are sold. Now, I may be off, but my guess is that it probably took $200 thousand or more to develop....by my math that would mean $20/mount on average. Last night I checked on the price of a horse...it wasn't $20 (my guess is that the remaining development monies will be recouped in crown rentals).

When is it greed to recoup the monies you spent? Is someone out there teaching their children that the work of others is worthless?

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
sgeier wrote:

Period.

I'm very happy for you that you got all this money in a quick amount of time, HOWEVER, it is easily said than done. Yes quests give gold coins but what...190? 200? These mounts cost 56,000+ .
It does change your game play. Say a kid couldn't keep up with his friends because they were whisking away on their mounts and he was left running? He begs his parents for money since he can't afford it. If the parent says no it just makes the parent seem mean and the kid is left being the one that fell off the bandwagon.
It would make more sense if they were 20,000 not 30,000 more.
This is not a house. You ride it. You don't live in it. It just makes you run around 40% faster.
That is why it should not be more expensive than a mansion.
It beats the MB mansion by a good 6K.

I agree you don't have to have it.. but try to be a 9 year old kid who isn't up to par with the games latest technology.