Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My son is crying and so is my pocket book

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 27, 2009
This is just a prime example of the "It's not fair that I don't have it and/or can't afford it, so you should just give it to me" mentality. You people need to grow up and teach your children that they are not always going to be able to have everything they want. Crown Items are not required to play or finish W101. They are extras and you need to teach your children to figure out which one or two items they really want and save up for them or (heaven forbid) do extra chores to EARN the money!

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
This isn't a feature that you need. It is just for fun.If you can't afford the mounts, don't buy them. :?

Abigail Spiritrider

Defender
Feb 17, 2009
Um here is an idea! It's game it's not real life. The mounts are extra you need them to play the game. So SHUSH!

Thomas Swiftthistle Grandmaster Ice

Explorer
Jan 27, 2009
eioofh wrote:
Um here is an idea! It's game it's not real life. The mounts are extra you need them to play the game. So SHUSH!

You do not need the mounts to play.

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
MarcBladebreaker wrote:
eioofh wrote:

You do not need the mounts to play.

Confirmed. You do not have to have mounts at all. Why do people think we need mounts to get around? Mark, and Teleport does wonders. It is way faster then any mount.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2010
sanmil0963 wrote:
sgeier wrote:
OK, just so there's not a completely skewed picture out there:

I, for one, find absolutely nothing whatsoever objectionable to the new updates.

Everything that worked before, still works. Noting was removed. If you paid for a subscription, you're still getting every last bit of what you got before the update.

Period.

Who are these people telling us how the mount prices are "unfair"? You don't have to get one. It does not make the game play an iota better or easier . It's pretty eye candy that you can now buy IF YOU WANT in addition to everything you got before. That's all. You make as much gold in-game as the next guy - how is it 'unfair' that he's saving his for a mount where you're frittering yours away?

That said: I've been playing this game since August with my son. Less than three months. In that time, I have received hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of gold, simply by normal game play. You get gold for every quest. You get gold for every battle. You get gold when you sell the items that you got in battle. You get gold for selling reagents you picked up that are available free all over the place. You get gold for wooden chests. You can even try your hand at crafting and selling crafted items. I have now the three most expensive houses one can buy (the large ones from MB, MS and DS) and was pondering posting to these boards asking why there is a limit of three. I have the finest outfit gold can buy at the bazaar. What on earth are you people frittering your gold away on?

Maybe some people need to learn that you either spend your money now, this moment, on the thing you want this second - or you save it for something bigger, better, later. And for those who aren't quite mature enough to learn this, KI even allows you to cheat by getting things completely undeserved by buying-in from the outside with crowns. How much more could they do?

Maybe next time you hit a multiple-of-five level you shouldn't run immediately to the Bazaar and get that shiny new wand (that'll get thrown out immediately when you get to the next multiple-of-five, of course). Maybe you should just hang on to that coat, even though there's one that gives you one percent more defense strength. Maybe if you actually wanted these large items (houses, mounts) you'd simply save for them. Maybe. There's a lot of gold flowing through your hands. It's up to you where it goes.

You are absolutely correct, no one has to buy one if they feel that they can not afford one, but if no one buys one because the CUSTOMER (you know the people who keep KI in business) believes that the pricing is too high, than it won't help KI's bottom line. If you have ever taken economics, it's called Supply and Demand. If their customers are saying that the pricing is too high and they refused to buy them, than KI doesn't make any money. So you see as you stated "Who are these people telling us how the mount prices are "unfair" They are the CUSTOMER and if the many posters and players are saying the pricing is unfair, than KI needs to listen. There are way too many post on here and chats about this for them to continue not. KI has to decide whether to maintain the current pricing or sell their product and make money.

Here's another example of the greed that KI is showing in their colors. I've only been playing for a month or so. If you buy a "potion" from them, it auto-equips. You may say "so what?" Well what if you purchased the potion for 500 crowns, it auto-equips, but you find out your friend(s) aren't on, so you log out. That's 500 wasted crowns. WE should be the ones "using"/"equipping" any item on to our character. True KI owns the chars, but as long as I play it, and I buy crowns and such to use with the character I HAVE final say over when it should or should not be equipped. No other game that I play ( and I play alot of them, not WOW though) ever has an auto-equip when you purchase something. Also the other games allow you to purchase more than one at a time (since they don't auto-equip). I have just wasted 1600 crowns, since I purchased 2 pots for myself and a friend. Guaranteed KI will say "you should have read the TOS". Well in the TOS it doesn't say a thing about pots you purchase auto-equipping. This is called fraud, and it is real. They can get into alot of trouble for not having it ANYWHERE that the pots auto-equip and start usage as soon as purchased. Not only is it over-priced, in this economic strapped time, it's called customer service. You piss the customer off, you lose ALOT of money.

Survivor
May 28, 2009
sgeier wrote:
You get gold for selling reagents you picked up that are available free all over the place.

Some people are actually using these reagents to craft, plus a lot of the other gold to support the crafting habit. :)

The problem with the mounts being so expensive is that once one person you play with has one, it becomes more difficult to play together. If you normally follow each other around, you can not keep up. That means you end up constantly porting to the other person to keep up, which requires more effort on their part, plus it means you miss opportunities to grab craft mats and side quests along the way.

Of course, the problem with a game where not all players are created equal is that it just recreates the same social problems within the game that exist outside of it. The kids with money always have all the latest, new, fun stuff -- they look cooler, they have a faster ride, etc. The kids with less money have to work harder and longer to get things and usually end up going without.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2010
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet. I had one of my toons buy a broom with gold. When I want to play a different toon, I have the one put it in the shared bank and the other takes it out. Makes the world easier for me, rathern than busting my wits trying to get enough for several brooms. Just a suggestion.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2010
No offense but your all overeacting. no one needs a mount. i am saving up for one and it is taking along time, but everything cost so much becuase unlike most mmos wizard 101 is still expanding. Think about it when your done with the 3 months it takes to do everything in free realms or fusion fall or whatever you play what game are you going to come back to that can give you expansion. So unless you want to fork over twice as much cash to play an expanding game like WoW then just quietly ask tohave them lower the prices

Survivor
Aug 13, 2010
ChickenMcFuggits wrote:
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet. I had one of my toons buy a broom with gold. When I want to play a different toon, I have the one put it in the shared bank and the other takes it out. Makes the world easier for me, rathern than busting my wits trying to get enough for several brooms. Just a suggestion.
That is a really good Idea, and One I use. But, it's getting the money up in the first place to buy that's a bit of a pain. Again, some things need to be fixed in the "shop". I like the game, and have gotten used to it now. But, fix the problems with the item shop.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
fiennesite wrote:
The recent additions in the mounts and other various features are extremely over priced. We have a family of four on here and pay a substantial monthly fee to play already. The very thought that buying mounts for our family would roughly cost the equivalent of nearly a YEAR's SUBSCRIPTION TO THE GAME!!!!***&&%%% is ridiculous. My son is crying hysterically in his room because this is going to take him two months of allowance to save for or at the very least four months of game play without buying a single item for gold.

Just like the whole crafting debacle...Kings Isle has got it wrong AGAIN!!

With competition like Free Realms with better graphics and more features...I don't know how long will I feel like paying for a game with no consideration for its paying patrons and no additional benefits.

It takes him 2 months to get 10 bucks? Start a lemonade stand or something. Plus you don't need mounts. Its only to make you go faster nothing really.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Elessar wrote:
I am also very annoyed at this, and other things of the new update. I tell my little bro about the new henchmen feature, and since I get on the test realm, I told him he could buy these to help him in Marlybone. Now I find Kingsisle is making basicly every new feature for crowns only. And I can't get a mount with crowns, I'm one of the younger players and I don't have enough play time to make 90,000 gold for the mount I want.

Do the crafting things. they give ya tones of gold.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Doraslayer wrote:
Man, i know how you guys feel. Me and my brother have to keep pooling our cash to play Wizard101 and the mounts and everything else are expensive enough. You could buy a good Xbox 360 game for a year subsciption that is proabably way better. I also don't know how i'm gonna make 90,000 gold for a supid horse that will just make me go faster. PLEASE either add some more bonuses so the'll be worth my money or at least make them cheaper or i'm done with wizard101.

~ Dolan IceBlade
Lv 46 Ice Wizard

Dude calm down. But I do agree that they should bring the price down for crowns or the items.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
cole2142 wrote:
My mom (Fiennesite) started this post and I'm going to continue it!
Also I'm one of the younger players too. And I have to say for myself I am totally disgusted with this Bottom feeding of Mom's And Dad's wallet! And I spent an hour crying in my room cause my mom wouldn't pay. And you can also get a used DS for the amount of crowns you get each year. And I don't wanna pay 90,000 gold or 50 dollars worth of crowns. Also I don't care if the brooms are 50,000 gold or 20 dollars worth of crowns. I am just totally disgusted with you Kingsisle. If you do not lower the price I am going to completely stop playing Wizard 101 and stick with your competing MMO Free Realms.

Buy the cheapest, 10 bucks of crowns or 50,000 gold. They all the same except some are cooler. They have all the SAME stats. Stop trying to get the coolest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Survivor
Jul 13, 2010
storm9090038 wrote:
No offense but your all overeacting. no one needs a mount. i am saving up for one and it is taking along time, but everything cost so much becuase unlike most mmos wizard 101 is still expanding. Think about it when your done with the 3 months it takes to do everything in free realms or fusion fall or whatever you play what game are you going to come back to that can give you expansion. So unless you want to fork over twice as much cash to play an expanding game like WoW then just quietly ask tohave them lower the prices

This is not more expensive than WoW. At least Acti-Blizz didn't sell out game assistance for extra change. All the crown items are purely cosmetic and are luxury items?

Are you kidding me?

Defender pig, best pvp pet in game - costs money
Overlord Set - costs money, best starting pvp set outside of commander/other crown gear

The mount- do you notice how spread out npcs are and how some talking quests just make you run back and forth....well mount = increased exp by increasing potential questing speed. It is a large benefit, makes escaping patrolling mobs easier as well.

You can't blame KI for wanting to make some change but as far as other games/including quality of game Wizards falls pretty low. Paying as much for KI as wow and getting....a card game...lol is not really proportional to the developers work. It's a little kids game with some fun strategy (dueling) for older people, and they are targeting little jimmy directly and mommys credit card indirectly.

The bottom line is:

Don't buy or play if this incenses you, but don't think the items arent very beneficial and don't give money players the advantage in leveling speed/pvp and in some cases pve. I think the best argument vs KI is just that it is in bad taste for a game that aspires to be competitive pvp-wise to allow imbalances caused by the crown idea and supplemental money being spent.

I do however enjoy the game, it has its 'hooks' in me. And i would run out right now and blow a twenty to get a defender pig if I knew for sure it would manifest the defense talent now, not to mention no rite-aids in my state lol.

Just leaves a sour taste in my mouth...but thats the MMO world. they hook you then...what do you think? (raise the prices)

Survivor
Aug 19, 2010
Doraslayer wrote:
Man, i know how you guys feel. Me and my brother have to keep pooling our cash to play Wizard101 and the mounts and everything else are expensive enough. You could buy a good Xbox 360 game for a year subsciption that is proabably way better. I also don't know how i'm gonna make 90,000 gold for a supid horse that will just make me go faster. PLEASE either add some more bonuses so the'll be worth my money or at least make them cheaper or i'm done with wizard101.

~ Dolan IceBlade
Lv 46 Ice Wizard

Then you should just save your cash from buying an CARTOON game horse and rather spend them in membership instead of burning more than an month's worth of the game's membership to get an little game option. OR you should just earn some gold in the game and them get an rental instead.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2010
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
The recent additions in the mounts and other various features are extremely over priced. We have a family of four on here and pay a substantial monthly fee to play already. The very thought that buying mounts for our family would roughly cost the equivalent of nearly a YEAR's SUBSCRIPTION TO THE GAME!!!!***&&%%% is ridiculous. My son is crying hysterically in his room because this is going to take him two months of allowance to save for or at the very least four months of game play without buying a single item for gold.

With competition like Free Realms with better graphics and more features...I don't know how long will I feel like paying for a game with no consideration for its paying patrons and no additional benefits.

Wow, I guess my dad was very generous when I was a kid. I made $10 a WEEK doing chores and I am....well let's just say I am old enough to be a parent to most of the kids who play this game.
Also, Free Realms is not "free"...the have a membership that gives monthly reward packs, gives a house, unlocks all jobs, gives access to members-only items, gives a 10% discount on their in game currency and awards more coins for the first hour of play everyday. Their website describes their game currency as "Station Cash™ (SC) is "virtual" money that is used in Free Realms to buy premium in-game rewards"...just like crowns. Wizards prices are much better than Free Realms:

Free Realms Wizard
$5 = 500 Station Cash or 2500 crowns
$10= 1000 SC or 5000 crowns
$25= 2500 SC or 13,750 crowns

I would much rather play Wizard at those rates.
Another thing...it is very easy to make enough gold in the game to purchase a perm. mount. I make roughly 10,000 gold PER DAY, and that's when I'm not even trying.
I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for you or your son. Maybe you should give him a higher allowance or allow him to work for others for extra cash. I don't know how old he is, so I can't really suggest anything. But if he is old enough to push a lawn mower or shovel snow...there ya go.

Here's another suggestion...instead of paying for the monthly fee, purchase all the areas with crowns so you can always access them. The only real difference between a subscription and purchasing the areas is that you don't get the PvP, housing, message board, and chat privileges.

Survivor
May 11, 2010
I agree, make the mounts available for 2,000 gold not 7,000 crowns. I can understand paying for castles and subscriptions but YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO EARN PERMANENT MOUNTS! The game is so overpriced and Kingsisle is lucky that I am paying for a subscription. LET PLAYERS EARN MOUNTS

fiennesite wrote:

Survivor
Sep 16, 2008
the mounts and castlez cost alot i have a hard time afordn them and i figured out i wasted my money buying them so careful whatya buy.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2010
cole2142 wrote:
Also I'm one of the younger players too. And I have to say for myself I am totally disgusted with this Bottom feeding of Mom's And Dad's wallet! And I spent an hour crying in my room cause my mom wouldn't pay. And you can also get a used DS for the amount of crowns you get each year. And I don't wanna pay 90,000 gold or 50 dollars worth of crowns. Also I don't care if the brooms are 50,000 gold or 20 dollars worth of crowns. I am just totally disgusted with you Kingsisle. If you do not lower the price I am going to completely stop playing Wizard 101 and stick with your competing MMO Free Realms.

Then just stop trying to but the "cartoon" horses and save your bucks

Survivor
Oct 19, 2008
Ok people, let's all calm down here about this situation. Now, as a level 50 Balance Wizard, you can make alot of money prgressing through the game as many have said. But think of it. Everytime you get to a certain point of the game where you can purchase new gear, a whole set for DS is like, 10,00-15,000 gold, which is EXTREMLY overpriced.I myself have bought a Blue Dragon Mount with gold, and I had to SELL basically everything in my bank. I had a few left over to hatch, and buy the Grand Fortress. But here's the thing. I'm broke. NO items in my bank to sell. NO repeatable quests for more gold unlike MANY other MMOs. And most importantly, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to make more money unless you want to spend another year raking up and farming dungeons, or create another character, doing the entire game ALL over again, then, while wanting to transfer your gold to your main, you can't. So instead, you'd Have to move all the stuff to the shared bank, and take it from there. I used to play this other MMO, made by SOE, the same people who made Free Realms, called Everquest 2. EQ2 was pretty hardcore, until it came to a certain point when for about 4-6 years people were paying like 20.00 a month for subscription, plus like another 50.00 everytime an expansion pack came out. Until recently, they made a free server, but with a LOT less features. But they had a few things that I doubt Wizard101 will EVER have. 1. A slot in the shared bank/normal bank to store gold. And 2. More slots/ubgradeable bags for more room. Most of the items in my backpack are important, so if I want to pick something up, I can't, because my slots are full. So I'd have to go home and empty my backpack, and suddenly realizing that the bank is over the amount it carries. Right there, is a problem. So next I try throwing stuff out into my house. Now, having the most expensive DS house makes you think, He has room for his stuff. Well I don't, and I REALLY don't want to destroy ANY of the housing items because I like how they look. So the capacity of the backpack/bank can be VERY important and can affect gameplay, making a player HAVE to get rid of something. As my final remark, i'll say one more thing that needs adjusting. Loot Drops and Selections. The percentage on certain loot makes going through a 1 hour dungeon not even worth it, because the percentage is SO SMALL. The drops need adjusting, and as for selections, everytime you destroy an enemy and it drops loot, dividing it up upon the people in the battle with you is BAD. As an example: My friend is helping me farm a boss for a pet, which he already has. The first battle he got another, and same with the one after that, which made me a little angry and I just gave up. Now bringing back the topic on people inside your battle/loot selection, the sigils for going into dungeons are a BAD idea, which makes the grouping system useless besides talking to a certain amount of people at once. It's hard to get all of your group onto the sigil, because other people WILL come to steal their spots. I think that there should be a choice whether to stand on the sigil, or use the grouping system to have a maximum of 4 wizards, and you can go in automatically. The group leader would click the door, press X on the sigil, having two options to stand on it or go immediatly in. If he chose to go in, then a confirmation window would come up on each wizard's screen, lasting about 10-20 seconds so people can just go straight in if somebody is AFK. That is all I have to say, including MANY points of this game. I got a little carried away with this, probably should've posted it somewhere else, but I put something "involved" with this topic. Thanks guys, and have fun in the game!

-Moser
Sean Stormshard, Level 50 Grandmaster Sorcerer

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
You dont need mounts!! they dont help in battle or strentgh and if yur crying over it then yur obiously way too spoiled..get over it

Defender
Feb 22, 2009
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
cole2142 wrote:

Buy the cheapest, 10 bucks of crowns or 50,000 gold. They all the same except some are cooler. They have all the SAME stats. Stop trying to get the coolest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with DavidStronghunter1...(nice username by the way ) cole2142, I am one of the younger players and I don't think the mounts are overpriced at all. If you spent an hour in your room crying because you couldn't afford something that costs about three weeks of dragonspyre farming, then you need to re-evaluate your life. If you're in Mooshu, farm Oyotomi the Defiler. If you are in Marleybone, farm Katzenstein. If you are below that, do your quests. If you can buy a used DS with the money you spend on crowns alone, then start actually playing the game, not relying on gear to win it for you. Seriously, get it through your head, that YOU DON'T NEED REAL MONEY TO BUY THESE! Start saving money in-game. Seriously, you get all the gear you need from quests and boss drops. You don't need to buy a house. There is absolutely nothing you NEED to spend anything on in this game. Yes, you can get better gear if you do, but it is not needed. My balance wizard didn't spend any money on anything except bigger decks until Marleybone, and when he got access to Marleybone he had 40,000 gold. He spent 30,000 on a house and when he got to Mooshu he had 70,000 gold. So, if he hadn't bought the house, he would have had 100,000 gold when he got to Mooshu. Don't expect to get everything you want handed to you on a silver platter. Life is hard. Get used to it.

Alex Dragonbreaker GM Storm
Jacob Stormhunter Master Balance
and some others I don't play as much

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
Why pay for a Coach bag when a 1gal zip-lock freezer bag will work just as well? Its fashion; and fashion has a price.

There are several mounts you can pay gold for instead of crowns that provide the exact same +40% bonus to movement.

Yes, the items are expensive, but you do not have to buy them. Vote with your dollars. I am sure the next batch of items will be released and perhaps they will allow gold for the old.

Devin Darksong – Grandmaster Necromancer – lvl 50 Death
Digby Darksong – Grandmaster Theurgist – lvl 50 Life
Duncan Darksong – Grandmaster Sorcerer – lvl 50 Balance
Dylan Darksong – Grandmaster Diviner – lvl 50 Storm
Dustan Darksong – Grandmaster Conjurer – lvl 50 Myth
Dolan Darksong – Master Thaumaturge - lvl 50 Ice

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
fiennesite wrote:
Most of you responding about "farming" bosses etc are veteran MMORPG players and are ignorant as to what a 9 year old is capable of handling or wanting to handle. The houses will eventually become a much bigger deal for those of you who are remotely social. Once the physics of the game improves and you can DO more in the houses/stages, etc...then they will cease to be glorified banks...the game is evolving.

I still argue the prices should be relative....horses/brooms/dragons, should not be more than a house...and I think that an average kid shouldn't take more than 3 hours of game play to earn ANYTHING in a virtual world. It's ridiculous...and they don't have the strategy knowledge from years of sitting at a PC with no life, learning how to "farm" bosses in WOW or Guild Wars...

Can you say "big-time chain of ASSUMPTIONS?!?!?!?!" Knowing how to farm doesn't require any experience other than reading some threads in this very forum. It doesn't require three hours. And it most certainly doesn't require "not having a life."

Listen, buddy, I may have played a little PPD&D, but this is the first MMORPG i've ever played (short of trying out my friend's WoW account for a few minutes). And I absolutely adore farming. Getting the Gold to save up for (which is where you lot evidently have problems) Items that I actually have thought through buying is actually quite fun. Try it sometime; I recommend Bosses that aren't in Dungeons, Like the four Nirini Princes, Jade Oni, and Zarathax. Oh, but of course, having one of these "lives" you speak of (define a life, anyway) means there's no way you could EVER have enough TIME to even know what these are. Well, guess what? WE HAVE LIVES, YOU ASSUMPTIOUS FOOL!!

Anyway, the problem here is people that don't feel like earning their Crowns or Gold. If you worked for the money for those Mounts, kudos to you for knowing the value of hard work (and not whining to your parents or spouse [now that would be pathetic] or whoever you live with for Crowns money).