Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

De-leveling in the Arena

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 18, 2009
This has become a huge problem.

Currently Warlord and higher players are deleveling their wizard at a record pace. They get frustrated with waiting on matches for 30 minutes, only to have someone repeatedly decline the match if they don't like the matchup (monitored by an extra character watching the match populate or tracking who disappears from the queue at the same time as you). This can happen time after time.

Now it's created another dilemna....those of us that have not deleveled are now the opponents of the people that are trying to lose status, and as a result we are being given false increases in rank which then put us in a situation where matches are almost impossible to find. As a Balance wiz with about 1200 arena points I have had matches where my opponent is giving me the match at a rate of at least 3 to 1. I joined this game to play, not to sit around looking at the graphics....is there something that can be done to expedite the matching process, or can we make it easier to just take your rank back down to Private. If you can delevel immediately it would simplify the process.

The one additional balancing issue I would look for is to not allow Commander gear to be enabled when they start to build their rank back up. This is just too much of an advantage for these deleveled wizards. Put an Arena trainer out who will grant your request to start over at Private and force the player at that time to disable Arena gear. Make the Arena gear respond to levels as opposed to being able to be bought.

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
If anything your confession goes a long way why Balance is so over powered. There is a reason why that is happening and it's because you have a huge advantage compared to other schools.

When the developers fix pvp and tone Balance wizards down a notch then I am sure you will get more matches. Until then, either enjoy your status or start up another wizard and see it for yourself.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
hiway1999 wrote:
If anything your confession goes a long way why Balance is so over powered. There is a reason why that is happening and it's because you have a huge advantage compared to other schools.

When the developers fix pvp and tone Balance wizards down a notch then I am sure you will get more matches. Until then, either enjoy your status or start up another wizard and see it for yourself.

This is CLEARLY YOUR OPPINION!

I have done the same with my fire my balance and my Storm. The poster is right the higher you get the harder it is to get a fight so you lose points so that you can beat others like yourself who are intimidated by powerful wizards but rather than get better you want to dress down the skills of others as a school issue.

I have beat all the schools and it while balance is hard they have no real spells before judgement and can not boost it except with balance like traps and charms. The way to beat them is to strike hard quick and use tower shields.

There, feel better? Not that I am trying to be rude but i am so sick of complaints about other schools as if there is a favored school they all have their merits.

Defender
Apr 02, 2009
Sojourna wrote:
hiway1999 wrote:

This is CLEARLY YOUR OPPINION!

I have done the same with my fire my balance and my Storm. The poster is right the higher you get the harder it is to get a fight so you lose points so that you can beat others like yourself who are intimidated by powerful wizards but rather than get better you want to dress down the skills of others as a school issue.

I have beat all the schools and it while balance is hard they have no real spells before judgement and can not boost it except with balance like traps and charms. The way to beat them is to strike hard quick and use tower shields.

There, feel better? Not that I am trying to be rude but i am so sick of complaints about other schools as if there is a favored school they all have their merits.

Sojurna is right. I too am sick of people complaining about other schools.

I have seen complaints about Storm being too powerful, which in my own school's defense, we have tiny amounts of health. I have a level 21 Life that has more health than my level 46 Storm. But, I have to say Storm is very powerful, which makes it one of the hardest schools to master. It is also the least accurate and most of our spells focus on knocking out one person at a time. Storm Lord and Tempest are our only spells that hit everyone.

I have also seen complaints ( as mentioned above ) that Balance is too powerful. Where did that come from? I mean, they have many shields, blades, and traps that are much better than any other school's, but if you are saying they are "too powerful" in terms of damage, you must be blind! No offense to Balance, but your spells in terms of damage aren't too good. I mean, a good Judgement along with some boosts could blow the heck out of me, but most Balance spells are weak.

Now Ice. I have heard they have too much health. Simple answer to that. Look at their attacks in terms of damage. You will see what I mean. VERY weak, no offense, but if an ice learned some Storm spells, and a few healing spells, they are a great school.

Now this is just what I heard, so don't bug me about being wrong.

Dylan ShadowTalon Lvl 46

Defender
May 31, 2009
hgprather,

It's unfortunate that your thread has been hijacked by the Balance-is-not-fair issue because I think your grievance is legitimate. Hiway1999 woe-is-me whining epitomizes the attitude of so many that if they lose, then there MUST be something wrong. It's so much easier to complain and learn nothing then it is to practice and grow. Weak.

But I digress.

Though I'd be lying if I said I'm terribly upset when someone levels down on me, I agree that there really should be a better way to let players do this without affecting the rest of us. As you suggested, a RESET button would seem to be a win-win.

However, I think your idea of not allowing arena gear for leveled down players is even better because doing this would take a lot of the motivation for leveling down. After all, folks who are leveling down only do so since they know they can rise back up easily with all their gear. If they had to scrap their way back up as everyone else must, I many would do this. Therefore, not allowing Arena Gear I think would take care of the first issue all on it's own.

I know this would cause some problems with those who go back and forth between Commander and Captain (or lower) by losing a few the old fashion way, but overall I think your post is a good, well thought out idea . Fine job.

mlb

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
Please don't threadjack about Balance. There's plenty of gripe threads out there.

Back on topic. The reason people delevel is to aquire Arena Tickets quicker, not to somehow throw matches out of sync.

Once they have about 2000+ tickets they fly up the ranks to Commander/Warlord so they can then buy the gear all in one swoop.

The problem becomes that a person doesn't have to RETAIN that rank in order to wear the gear. This creates scenarios of bored wizards in full endgame PvP gear deleveling and wasting everyone they duel. Rinse and repeat.

The fault lies in the fact that PvP is utterly pointless once you've achieved the gear.

Increase the Arena Ticket merchandise, perhaps even making it a Crown Substitute for some items. Also make the gear WEARABLE by rank, not just BUYABLE.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Agree there should be a rest but the whole penalty issue for those de-leveling is just too much.

Its an unfair proposition, mostly because how do you discern who is deleveling and who is simply letting you win because they entered the fight and had to go, did not want to fight you, or a number other excuses. You can't.

So upping the gear as punishment is going to far. Also let face it, no one is making many tickets when they lose and while the winner gets a false boost it works its self out because if they can not fight they lose and thier level is taken back and they have the extra tickets from "winning"

While this is an interesting trend it is not a real issue that needs to be addressed by KI.

IMHO

Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
Still on topic.

I don't agree with the thought that lower ranks wearing higher rank gear is a major issue. My experience is that there is a greater fraction of skilled players at high ranks and a much lower fraction of skilled players at lower ranks. In other words, the skill of a player who has achieved Warlord will get them back to their previous rank quickly gear or not.

I pretty much flew up to Warlord and only really started getting challenging matches regularly with a ranking around 1100. This is without arena gear. I did, however, need to buy crowns gear to survive all the level 48 pets (I gained most of my rank at levels 8-10).

Regardless, I have no objections to making the arena gear wearable by rank.

As Dridstar said, the issue here is tickets. I only have the hat for commander gear. If at some point I feel I need the whole set, I'll probably delevel to get it as well. I have a defensive deck and my matches take 30 minutes or more. If tickets becomes my goal, I'll be much better off losing every 2 or 3 minutes.

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
The original post and follow up posts hold no logical merit. So if you win the match fair and square it's better? How so? You still increase in rank then face the same problem the people who get the higher ranks face.

I see no problem in facing someone deleveling. You get more tickets to get what you want and you get it fast. If you don't like the resulting higher rank then do as they did for a fast decrease and fast 3 tickets.

Any other "problems" need solving?

Survivor
Nov 03, 2009
hiway1999 wrote:
The original post and follow up posts hold no logical merit. So if you win the match fair and square it's better? How so? You still increase in rank then face the same problem the people who get the higher ranks face.

I see no problem in facing someone deleveling. You get more tickets to get what you want and you get it fast. If you don't like the resulting higher rank then do as they did for a fast decrease and fast 3 tickets.

Any other "problems" need solving?

the reason it's not good is because 2 things happen: 1) you don't LEARN and 2) you don't get to PLAY. if your rank goes up because you played and are learning, it's all good. you seriously didn't understand that? WoW player?

and to the people crying about balance: really? are you kidding? somebody hit me with a lightning dog or something the other day. the thing was doing 1200+ per ROUND for 3 rounds. besides that, you people just need to THINK. maybe making a balance character will help you.... balance is not at all hard to beat! i gave hints elsewhere, but i'll give another here: "having a buddy helps".

good luck. oh, and i agree with the O.P. about people leveling down. there needs to be incentive to PvP and to keep your rank. i made a good suggestion in another post (the match up post, i think).

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
Learn? Are you really serious? The game takes about 10 matches to "learn" and then it's pretty straight forward.

Go LEARN in a practice match and PLAY in a practice match if it upsets you that much. I seriously doubt the WHOLE minute of your life that was corrupted by somone passing robbed you of a precious learning moment of play. I've already suggested a quick way to purge your mind of this upsetting encounter that would get you back to where you belong so you can PLAY AND LEARN to your heart's content.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
hgprather1 wrote:
This has become a huge problem.

Currently Warlord and higher players are deleveling their wizard at a record pace. They get frustrated with waiting on matches for 30 minutes, only to have someone repeatedly decline the match if they don't like the matchup (monitored by an extra character watching the match populate or tracking who disappears from the queue at the same time as you). This can happen time after time.

Now it's created another dilemna....those of us that have not deleveled are now the opponents of the people that are trying to lose status, and as a result we are being given false increases in rank which then put us in a situation where matches are almost impossible to find. As a Balance wiz with about 1200 arena points I have had matches where my opponent is giving me the match at a rate of at least 3 to 1. I joined this game to play, not to sit around looking at the graphics....is there something that can be done to expedite the matching process, or can we make it easier to just take your rank back down to Private. If you can delevel immediately it would simplify the process.

The one additional balancing issue I would look for is to not allow Commander gear to be enabled when they start to build their rank back up. This is just too much of an advantage for these deleveled wizards. Put an Arena trainer out who will grant your request to start over at Private and force the player at that time to disable Arena gear. Make the Arena gear respond to levels as opposed to being able to be bought.

i dont think that is fair to make someone with full armor go down to private because that wont be fair to the people you have to face that are trying to get that armor