Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Making Housing even cooler (if its even possible.)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
PLEASE NOTE THERE IS GOING TO BE AN INTRODUCTION, SO IF YOU WANT TO GET RIGHT DOWN TO THE IDEAS, LOOK FOR THE BOLD WRITING. :D

When i first started on wizard101, i thought this was going to be a game i would play for a long time. And it is! i have played it for a very long time and have been stxtremely impressed by what Kingsisle has thrown out into the game. New worlds, more items, crafting, the bazaar, but mostly, its HOUSING. I always thought that there was just something that Wizard101 really needed, then i realized what it was when housing came out. I immediately took to the houses and the furniture, amazed by all the options.

However, i quickly noticed there were some minor flaws in this new update. The housing is cool and everything, but its all for looks. With the exception of the crafting tables, no furniture is actually to be used in any sort of way. Not the books, not the beds, nothing. I would like to say my ideas on the subject.

1) INTERACTIVE FURNITURE. Books can be read, beds, chairs, sofas, stools, etc. can be sat in or lay down on, cups or mugs picked up and drank from (some drinks may temporairly boost certain stats, for a big price, or if you have a limited supply in your house, but i will cover this soon.) Basically, when in certain range of an object, you can right-click (or left click, i dont suppose it matters) the item, and a menu comes up with your options. For example, if you right or left-clicked a sofa, an options menu could come up with Recline, Sit, and other actions that fit the item in question.

2)HOUSE MAPS, "MARAUDER STYLE" I think that this option could be reserved for the moderators of the house (the owner,) which is how i originally thought of it, but it could be for house guests as well. Basically, when you enter someone's house, including your own, a new button could appear that says "View House Map," or something similar. So basically, when you press it, a map would come up, showing the house that you are in. It could be layered, meaning a different layer of the map for different stories in the house if neccessary. If this is the case, there could be a set of buttons next to the map saying things like, "view story 2," "view story 3," and so on. But the thing i really like about this idea, is that it is "Maurader's Map" style (a reference to Harry Potter.) Basically, not only do you see a map of the house, little colored dots representing wizards in your house would be displayed. If the actual wizards went outside your house, so do the dots. They would be color coded, as below (please tell me if i missed a school, i do that sometimes:)

Myth-Yellow
Death-Black
Storm-Purple
Ice-Light blue
Fire-Red
Life-Green
Balance-Brown (i think this should be the color, if anyone has a better idea, please tell me so!)

So Yea. And if you clicked on these dots, the character page for the wizard it represents would come up (same as if you clicked on another character in-game.) I forgot to mention, the dots would also have the Wizards' name hovering above them, although this might become a problem becuase the name might block the map, or become illegible if a couple wizards are grouped together.

3)Neighborhoods (i think this idea was already mentioned, but i will write my ideas about it either way. Just a disclaimer.)

Everyone in Wizard101 who owns a house knows that the only way to get to a house that is not yours it to teleport to someone who is already inside it, which can become a real drag. Basically, i think everyone has heard of a game called ClubPenguin, and in my opinion they had an extremely good house system. Not neccessarily in the houses themselves, but visitng them. In their game, there is a little menu that you could open, which listed all the members houses on your server (assuming they aren't locked, i will talk about this in my final suggestion.) You could then go to their house, explore it, and leave when ready. The owner did have to be online at the time, but it does seem like the sort of thing we should make in Wizard101.

4), My final Suggestion. HOUSE GUARDS I mentioned above that in Clubpenguin, you could go to any member's house, as long as it wasn't locked, they were online, and on the same server as you. I would like you to notice the "unless it is locked" part. Some people may not want strangers in their home. In this case, i have two suggestions. One, "lock" your house. It simply wouldnt appear in the list of members' houses. Or, if you dont care if someone goes to your house or not, but dont want them to just get it for free, you could hire monsters to guard your house. Basically, if a person wanted to get to your house through the member menu, upon clicking your name, instead of getting to your house, they would find themselves battling your house guards. You could have any amount of guards between, say, 1 and 10. The higher your level, the stronger monster you could hire. You can't hire a monster more advanced then you (basically, a Krokotopian Wizard could not hire a monster in the Dragonsypre Level.) There would be no way to "skip" these guards. Basically, when one monster (or pair of monsters, or trio, or quartet) is defeated, you would be automatically teleported to the next group of monsters, if any. If all are defeated, you are teleported to the world gate of the house you are trying to get to. There could be two ways to pay for these guards. 1, pay them a daily, weekly, or monthly fee. a small amount, but you need to keep on paying them. If you suddenly did not have enough money, the guards would leave, one by one, until you had enough money to pay for the amount you have. Or 2, you pay a much larger amount once, and you keep them forever. Of course, the more advanced monster, the higher they charge.

I hope someone took the time to read these, i spent a long time on them and please comment! :D :D :D

Explorer
Dec 15, 2008
dreadskull wrote:
PLEASE NOTE THERE IS GOING TO BE AN INTRODUCTION, SO IF YOU WANT TO GET RIGHT DOWN TO THE IDEAS, LOOK FOR THE BOLD WRITING. :D

When i first started on wizard101, i thought this was going to be a game i would play for a long time. And it is! i have played it for a very long time and have been stxtremely impressed by what Kingsisle has thrown out into the game. New worlds, more items, crafting, the bazaar, but mostly, its HOUSING. I always thought that there was just something that Wizard101 really needed, then i realized what it was when housing came out. I immediately took to the houses and the furniture, amazed by all the options.

However, i quickly noticed there were some minor flaws in this new update. The housing is cool and everything, but its all for looks. With the exception of the crafting tables, no furniture is actually to be used in any sort of way. Not the books, not the beds, nothing. I would like to say my ideas on the subject.

1) INTERACTIVE FURNITURE. Books can be read, beds, chairs, sofas, stools, etc. can be sat in or lay down on, cups or mugs picked up and drank from (some drinks may temporairly boost certain stats, for a big price, or if you have a limited supply in your house, but i will cover this soon.) Basically, when in certain range of an object, you can right-click (or left click, i dont suppose it matters) the item, and a menu comes up with your options. For example, if you right or left-clicked a sofa, an options menu could come up with Recline, Sit, and other actions that fit the item in question.

2)HOUSE MAPS, "MARAUDER STYLE" I think that this option could be reserved for the moderators of the house (the owner,) which is how i originally thought of it, but it could be for house guests as well. Basically, when you enter someone's house, including your own, a new button could appear that says "View House Map," or something similar. So basically, when you press it, a map would come up, showing the house that you are in. It could be layered, meaning a different layer of the map for different stories in the house if neccessary. If this is the case, there could be a set of buttons next to the map saying things like, "view story 2," "view story 3," and so on. But the thing i really like about this idea, is that it is "Maurader's Map" style (a reference to Harry Potter.) Basically, not only do you see a map of the house, little colored dots representing wizards in your house would be displayed. If the actual wizards went outside your house, so do the dots. They would be color coded, as below (please tell me if i missed a school, i do that sometimes:)

Myth-Yellow
Death-Black
Storm-Purple
Ice-Light blue
Fire-Red
Life-Green
Balance-Brown (i think this should be the color, if anyone has a better idea, please tell me so!)

So Yea. And if you clicked on these dots, the character page for the wizard it represents would come up (same as if you clicked on another character in-game.) I forgot to mention, the dots would also have the Wizards' name hovering above them, although this might become a problem becuase the name might block the map, or become illegible if a couple wizards are grouped together.

3)Neighborhoods (i think this idea was already mentioned, but i will write my ideas about it either way. Just a disclaimer.)

Everyone in Wizard101 who owns a house knows that the only way to get to a house that is not yours it to teleport to someone who is already inside it, which can become a real drag. Basically, i think everyone has heard of a game called ClubPenguin, and in my opinion they had an extremely good house system. Not neccessarily in the houses themselves, but visitng them. In their game, there is a little menu that you could open, which listed all the members houses on your server (assuming they aren't locked, i will talk about this in my final suggestion.) You could then go to their house, explore it, and leave when ready. The owner did have to be online at the time, but it does seem like the sort of thing we should make in Wizard101.

4), My final Suggestion. HOUSE GUARDS I mentioned above that in Clubpenguin, you could go to any member's house, as long as it wasn't locked, they were online, and on the same server as you. I would like you to notice the "unless it is locked" part. Some people may not want strangers in their home. In this case, i have two suggestions. One, "lock" your house. It simply wouldnt appear in the list of members' houses. Or, if you dont care if someone goes to your house or not, but dont want them to just get it for free, you could hire monsters to guard your house. Basically, if a person wanted to get to your house through the member menu, upon clicking your name, instead of getting to your house, they would find themselves battling your house guards. You could have any amount of guards between, say, 1 and 10. The higher your level, the stronger monster you could hire. You can't hire a monster more advanced then you (basically, a Krokotopian Wizard could not hire a monster in the Dragonsypre Level.) There would be no way to "skip" these guards. Basically, when one monster (or pair of monsters, or trio, or quartet) is defeated, you would be automatically teleported to the next group of monsters, if any. If all are defeated, you are teleported to the world gate of the house you are trying to get to. There could be two ways to pay for these guards. 1, pay them a daily, weekly, or monthly fee. a small amount, but you need to keep on paying them. If you suddenly did not have enough money, the guards would leave, one by one, until you had enough money to pay for the amount you have. Or 2, you pay a much larger amount once, and you keep them forever. Of course, the more advanced monster, the higher they charge.

I hope someone took the time to read these, i spent a long time on them and please comment! :D :D :D

i love it: :)

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
i like the idea :D
and my sister does too!!!!!!!!

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Thanks so much guys :D

But really lol

2 replies?

i spent a while writing that guys 8)

Please reply, i really want KI to take this into account!

Blake Soulflame, Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
I've got to say, you put a lot of thought into all of that typing. I like the dots on the map idea. and i agree with you for the Balance color, i think it should be brown cause their main world in the Spiral is KT. :D

And the house guards? Awesome idea!

~Luke LifeGem~ Level 48 Balance Wizard
-Master of Balance-

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
rob78 wrote:
I've got to say, you put a lot of thought into all of that typing. I like the dots on the map idea. and i agree with you for the Balance color, i think it should be brown cause their main world in the Spiral is KT. :D

-Master of Balance-

Thanks and btw guys, i am planning on suggesting this on the test server sometime, and i think it would help to get these suggestions added if some other people suggested these ideas too. It would purely be a favor for me, and even if it is never added i would thank you guys a lot. So please, if you feel at all like doing it, log on to the test realm, and suggest this idea (just if you do, give me some credit :D)

Survivor
Sep 12, 2008
Champion
Jan 27, 2009
The idea of a map it great ind i hope it gets put into the game, it would help me find noobs who just live to hide in my house, AND invite their friends, which would also make the guards a nice thing.

Defender
May 31, 2009
LOVE the house guard idea, but would the guards look like people from depending on what world your in?

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Thanks, guys, so much for the responses. Im glad some people are reading my ideas :)

Riolu, about the house guards thing, the way i envisioned them was that you would hire monsters, for example cyclops or elementals, to guard your house. They would be first catergorized by world, and then by element, and then by strength (rank.) Depending on the rank of the monster, you would have to pay a different amount to keep them under your control.

~Blake Soulflame, Housing Fanatic

Defender
May 31, 2009
Defender
Apr 02, 2009
dreadskull wrote:
Thanks so much guys :D

But really lol

2 replies?

i spent a while writing that guys 8)

Please reply, i really want KI to take this into account!

Just be patient. JEEZ!

Love the ideas though, especially guards. My Wiz is filthy stinking rich and in Dragonspyre. I could hire like rank 10 elite guards, and no one could get even close to my house.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
Awesome! My brother and I were just talking about some of those ideas!

Survivor
Oct 02, 2008
Some of your ideas are good butin my opinion the neighborhood and guard ideas are kind of pointless. Like the neighborhoos idea 1: whwere would KI put something like that? They would need to create so much more space for stuff like that. 2: How would you know which house is which.
The guard idea is really pointless. Say a high level person wants to come into your house, it is only a matter of time before they have defeated al of your guards and can come in. Instead of theat the should have a setting so only invited guests and only YOUR friends not people in your houses friends can come in. They can still port to your house/casttle just there is an metal gate that you cant port to a friend on the otherside. And have a button for anoying guests that you can just kick the out and they just get ported away.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
I love your ideas!

I think that the guards are are great idea! I hate when you find people that just show up out of no where and you don't know them.

I also like the idea of neighborhoods. I was thinking that it be cool to have like your friends islands connected to your island by like a bridge or tunnel depending on the style of house.

The map is a great idea. You could have a map for your house and then another map to show the neighborhood.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
xemaness wrote:
Some of your ideas are good butin my opinion the neighborhood and guard ideas are kind of pointless. Like the neighborhoos idea 1: whwere would KI put something like that? They would need to create so much more space for stuff like that. 2: How would you know which house is which.
The guard idea is really pointless. Say a high level person wants to come into your house, it is only a matter of time before they have defeated al of your guards and can come in. Instead of theat the should have a setting so only invited guests and only YOUR friends not people in your houses friends can come in. They can still port to your house/casttle just there is an metal gate that you cant port to a friend on the otherside. And have a button for anoying guests that you can just kick the out and they just get ported away.

1) When i mentioned the idea of neighborhoods, i specifically defined what a neighborhood would be. Go back and read it. Now tell me how that would take up too much space. Its just a list. No more advanced than a friends list, besides the fact they are linked to houses instead of actual characters.
2) Guards aren't supposed to be a definite way of keeping people out of your house. They are just a fun way of sort of messing with them, like challenging them, "Do you REALLY want to get into my house?"

Explorer
Aug 23, 2009
i love love LOVE the ideas and also here are some good ideas and some comments
Idea.1 to buy pet houses and stables for pets and mounts
Idea.2 to go along with the neighborhood idea you could do things like rent pavilions for parties and they would cost A LOT of crowns or gold or you could go fishing in ponds in certain neighborhoods depending on the world your house is in.
Idea.3 you can edit the structures of the outside for leveled things and make like waterfalls or ponds or a hill or anything to create geographic formations.
Idea.4(my last idea before my comment) you can garden and plant trees,flowers,bushes,fruits,vegetables
Comment.1 the guard thing is kinda like something on another game called adventure quest

Survivor
Sep 06, 2008
One idea I have is that in certain areas in Mooshu and MarleyBone where there are the Goat Monks and Police Dogs wandering around I thought maybe you could have some wandering around your house just for decor

Explorer
Feb 08, 2009

uh they made grizzlehiem didnt they i mean seriously and dreadskull AWESOME I DEAS I'M WITH YA ALL THE WAY!

Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
I really like the idea of wizard neiborhoods. If 4 or more wizards want to make a neiborhood,they could ask Merle. Also I think it would be cool if you could see your pets run around your house since they are trapped inside a wizard's backpack all the time. :D

Wolf Shadowgem

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
firesword52 wrote:
i love love LOVE the ideas and also here are some good ideas and some comments
Idea.1 to buy pet houses and stables for pets and mounts
Idea.2 to go along with the neighborhood idea you could do things like rent pavilions for parties and they would cost A LOT of crowns or gold or you could go fishing in ponds in certain neighborhoods depending on the world your house is in.
Idea.3 you can edit the structures of the outside for leveled things and make like waterfalls or ponds or a hill or anything to create geographic formations.
Idea.4(my last idea before my comment) you can garden and plant trees,flowers,bushes,fruits,vegetables
Comment.1 the guard thing is kinda like something on another game called adventure quest

Really?

I played AQ until level, uh, 90-something i think, but that was years ago...I gotta check out their guards system. Wonder what it's like.

But just for the record, I didn't get the idea from them.

Defender
Dec 12, 2008
rob78 wrote:

-Master of Balance-
i don't like the balance color. i say maroon plz i am balance and brown is ugley

Explorer
Aug 23, 2009
I just got a new idea. well a few anyway
1. you can buy things like closets to keep your clothing in instead of having to go into your backpack and it will have a much better system to have a closet because you can sort by stats,color,or where you got it.
2. housekeeping and cooking is something we all know they should add but i thought of a improved version of that thought. you can hire them and just like the guards,you must pay them but you must do it either for the short amount of one month or build up the amount and do every six months and you can choose the monsters for housekeeping or cooking.

come on imagine a ghoul or a krokotopian in a apron lol

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
so kewl i had the same ideas, also, i wish that when you put pets in your bank, they would appear in your house playing in a pond or something, i think that would be awesome :) :-) :D

Defender
Feb 16, 2009
Great ideas. I have some too.

A - What if, say you have a Fire House and a large MB House, or any combination of homes. And you like them both, and can't decide which to make the house your Go Home button leads to, you could link them together.

I see three ways this could happen.

A1 - Bridges. There have different types of bridges you could buy to connect them.

A1.1- Rainbows. Like the ones in GH or the Myth house. You buy one of three sizes, Small, Med, and Big. You don't get the bridge, but you get two (2) panels. You place one on the edge of the Fire House and one on the edge of the MB House, and watch a magic rainbow pull them close enough to be connected. You can buy Rainbow Platforms to float next to the Rainbow to put stuff on.

A1.2 - Wood Bridges. The kind you see in non-connected houses. Cheaper than Rainbows, can not have platforms, only come in Small and Med, and instead of panels, you put in wooden posts.

A2 - Port Panels. You know the ones on Triton Ave. The blue circles with the spiral pattern. Those also will come in packs of two.

A3 – Vehicles. You can buy these of any that you rode already. The vehicles are KT Boat, MB Flying Machines, and anything that might be in DS. (I am not there yet) These do the same thing they do in the worlds they come from, and you can skip the ride. You buy ports separately, except first one you buy gives you a second one. You place them anywhere you want, and if you have more than one port, it will show a simple map where the ports are glowing dots.

KT Boat – Brown
MB Machines – Green
Whatever is in DS (If there is one there, like I said, I am still on MS) –
Grey
Simple click on the one you choose. Also, the ports and vehicle must match. You cannot take a MB Machine to a KT Boat port.

B – Boot and Ban. Has this ever happened to you? You and a friend are at your house, and your friend’s friend ports to you friend. He/she says things, for example… “This house is bad.” Or “This is my house now.” And you ask him/her to leave. He/she won’t. You are so close to reporting him/her. Imagine the same scene, except there is a button above the decorate button. It has a picture of a foot kicking. You click it, and it shows a list of everyone in your house. Simply click a name, and it will say…

Are you sure you want to kick (Name you clicked on) out of you house? If you click YES it says…

Would you also like to ban (Name you clicked on) from your house until you log off?

If you click YES, he/she will be teleported out to where he/she teleported from, unless he/she was in a dungeon, in which case they will be teleported right outside the entrance.

Hope you like them.

Kyle Firefist