Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Language In The Commons

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 08, 2008
In the commons i've seen some REALLY FILTHY TALK coming from some of the wizards mouths, and yes they have figured out how to say it. words from what a baby does in its diaper to the word Ralphie got in trouble for saying in {A Christmas Story Movie] and a few compound words.

Supose you bring family or friends around and want to show them the game you play and take them on a tour of the spiral, firat stop wizard city commons, where you learn how to talk Filthy, then on to the other places.
really not a good thing for them to see, some ppl don't like to see or hear that kind of talk, and especially in a game geared towards the younger crowd i don't think it belongs.
i'm an adult, i don't want to see that in a game.

KI can't you do something about this.

Defender
Jun 17, 2009
well your children will always be around someone who curses or even says bad words.. trust me its unpreventable even in games online.. there are still children at school with bad parents and such who will say stuff.. bullies.. movies.. tv shows. etc too many things going on to rate it under pg 13 but can't complain have to make the best of it and teach my child not to say words like they learn it

Explorer
Oct 16, 2008
Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
tracinjd wrote:
well your children will always be around someone who curses or even says bad words.. trust me its unpreventable even in games online.. there are still children at school with bad parents and such who will say stuff.. bullies.. movies.. tv shows. etc too many things going on to rate it under pg 13 but can't complain have to make the best of it and teach my child not to say words like they learn it

People like you make me sick you know. The RULES of the GAME State Curseing is not allowed.

Curseing around the Filter should have worse punishment because you have to put alot of thought into doing it its not a slip up.

This isnt the Real world its a Game and it can be regulated look at other games they do with Force.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
I agree about the swearing around the filter. although creative in it's use, the rules still stand about it. However, KI cannot monitor 24/7, a lot o responsibility comes down the the players reporting those they see swearing. however for the most part even that will not do much as far as curing the problem.

Personally aside from seriously restricting the use of Chat or adjusting the filters even further (making it even more difficult to say normal things)

Aside from switching realms to a more quiet place constantly. or standing over your child's shoulder to ensure their not doing it or sitting around listening to it how else could KI fix this problem?

Perhaps having a "GM" or volunteer adult player(essentially a moderator) monitor the commons for a couple of hours of their time to respond to minor reports of swearing/mis use of filter and or other minor problem as well as assisting new players to ensure a more pleasant beginning in their adventures. with a modified client allowing the use of Gagging(muting a player) or logging and offensive player off for a period of time. I have seen it in other games and of course it can be abused. but it's only a suggestion of course.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Arenlor wrote:
Turn off text chat. Report the players.

I too thought canned chat was unable to read any typed text whatsoever. It comes up only as dots. So the younger crowd cannot actually see any of the work arounds. Seeing text chat only applies to 13+, so the items you listed (I think), still rate as PG13 material.

Don't get me wrong....I understand completely and agree that this should not be allowed. However, there are parents that have stated that because canned chat is so messed up, they have given their child access to 13+ text chat. This might be contributing to some of the immature behavior. And there are (of course) those 13 and above to go beyond even PG13 type stuff.

I personally don't spend more than two seconds in the commons, because the sheer amount of friend requests, so I have not seen this type of stuff. Other MMOs have the feature of reported players that sends the last ten lines of text that player said to an in-game customer representative. Maybe a similar feature is needed????

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
tracinjd wrote:

Seems that you're missing something here...

The TOS clearly states that vulgar language isn't permissable in the game. It doesn't have a clause in it that states 'but if you know how to go around the profanity filter or have open chat, then it's ok'...

It flat out says NO profanity useage by ANY member. Which means any member violating that rule, are subject to the punishments using it earns.

True, not all people believe or will follow the rules. There are those that purposefully feel they need to break the rules, as well as those that believe the rules only apply to others and not themselves.

But that doesn't warrent the excuse of 'well, it's going to happen anyways in another setting, so just accept it and deal with it' attitude you're presenting here.

As responsible players, it's our place to help KI enforce the few rules it does have to ensure the continued safety and well-being of the game. That means that each of us have a certain responsibility in reporting instances when we see these violations occure. Not avoid the responsibility by adopting the attitude you're suggesting here of 'well, your kid could hear worse watching t.v or at school'...

Tell you what...I'm an adult who finds profanity completely reprehensible. I avoid places on-line that allow it's useage and moderate forums that have a 'no profanity' rule that I happily enforce. I for one feel that I shouldn't have to listen to others using it, and it's one of the main reasons I joined this game...Because the game itself holds the same position as I do and doesn't tolerate profanity.

It's not just children who shouldn't have to see/read it...But adults as well. Especially when that position IS part of the site/forum/game rules. And rather then making excuses for why it should be ignored/overlooked? All of us, including yourself, should be putting a virtual firm foot down by reporting it and DISCOURAGING those that believe that rule shouldn't apply to them or actively seek ways to work around the profanity filter.

Defender
Feb 19, 2009
I don't know if this would work but its just an idea. Try to hire people in-game to become player mods. You wouldn't have to pay them and they would have the choice of whether they wanted to be one or not. Maybe they could have a gold star by their name in the chats so you would know that there was a player moderator there and thus you would know to not swear around that person or you would get reported and more than likely get banned. So yeah... Just an idea.

Justin Ironbreaker
Master of Monsters
Level 48 Myth

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
0stormbreak0 wrote:
I don't know if this would work but its just an idea. Try to hire people in-game to become player mods. You wouldn't have to pay them and they would have the choice of whether they wanted to be one or not. Maybe they could have a gold star by their name in the chats so you would know that there was a player moderator there and thus you would know to not swear around that person or you would get reported and more than likely get banned. So yeah... Just an idea.

Justin Ironbreaker
Master of Monsters
Level 48 Myth

Good idea, but with one little flaw. I say the heck with letting them KNOW you're a moderator. They'd already know who you were, hence they won't swear... around you. Just a thought. Oh, and one more thing: if we do implement a feature like this, uh, let some of the "younger" gamers (like myself) be the moderators. Not ALL kids are bad... just a lot of them... A LOT of them (don't ever come to my school. Trust me)...

Defender
Feb 19, 2009
bashful1 wrote:
0stormbreak0 wrote:

Justin Ironbreaker
Master of Monsters
Level 48 Myth

Good idea, but with one little flaw. I say the heck with letting them KNOW you're a moderator. They'd already know who you were, hence they won't swear... around you. Just a thought. Oh, and one more thing: if we do implement a feature like this, uh, let some of the "younger" gamers (like myself) be the moderators. Not ALL kids are bad... just a lot of them... A LOT of them (don't ever come to my school. Trust me)...

i knew someone would hear my idea :D . yea my school is really bad too dude lolz. yea and i agree on some of the "younger" players to be them. so all we got to do is get KI to listen to us

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
plz help they are going to make me want to quit and some of the other wizards will too so kingsisle should make some adjustments to text chat

Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
I have an idea, hire people to have an account to look like your a regular player and monitor almost every area in the game. Just an idea

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
I agree that language can be a problem, but the only real alternative to listening to people say those things sometimes is KI turn off text chat COMPLETELY, wihch wouldnt be fair to most of us.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
I agree that it would be nice to have moderators in the game. HOWEVER, I also believe that, as parents, we should be volunteer moderators.

My son LOVES this game, as do I. It discourages me to see so much swearing. But I think that parents should take one thing from this. A lot of the swearing is caused by peer presure (I think). Kids who see their fellow "friends" in the game swearing and believe that in order to be "cool" they must join or their "friends" will no longer like them. Wouldn't you think that the kids in this game who join in this act are just as likely to join in with their friends in the real world?

My son is monitored. Although I do not stand over his shoulder, I come over and see what has been said while he has been on. He feels pressured to keep the people that he knows that swear as friends because they tend to be the ones that help him a lot when he needs it. I can understand that he feels torn and confront the people that I see doing it. If they stop and oppologize then I allow him to keep them as friends. If not...they are taken off his friends list and he is not allowed to put them back on ( I keep a list of the ones I have had him remove).

Yes, he still sees the language and that really stinks, but I can not monitor everyones children. He has STRICT instructions to never allow a person that swears to be added to his list, and if he does then he is not allowed to play the game for a couple of days. He also knows that if he swears there are even more SERIOUS consequences ( no playing Wizard, PS taken away, etc.)

Anyway, that is how I do it. I think all PARENTS should be help accountable for their children swearing. Maybe make a swearing jar LOL. Every time a person is reported for swearing, make them put a dollar or a couple of crowns in a jar. Then the people that DON'T swear can do something to win the crowns...eh its an idea. LOL who knows, maybe parents would crack down on some of these kids if they had to pay for every swear word.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
wizard2u wrote:
In the commons i've seen some REALLY FILTHY TALK coming from some of the wizards mouths, and yes they have figured out how to say it. words from what a baby does in its diaper to the word Ralphie got in trouble for saying in {A Christmas Story Movie] and a few compound words.

Supose you bring family or friends around and want to show them the game you play and take them on a tour of the spiral, firat stop wizard city commons, where you learn how to talk Filthy, then on to the other places.
really not a good thing for them to see, some ppl don't like to see or hear that kind of talk, and especially in a game geared towards the younger crowd i don't think it belongs.
i'm an adult, i don't want to see that in a game.

KI can't you do something about this.
i agree i cant believe what some of these people are saying to each other ( AND SAYING TO ME!) they do it by puting certain leters of a word in caps so the caps letters make another word. i hate it i just hate it