Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Player vs Player Class101 is now in session ...

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 28, 2008
Some basic things I have learned about dueling.

Your equipment is the most important aspect of dueling.

Starting with your clothing.

Clothing which gives a high shielding across the board is the best thing you could invest in if your going to duel. Since Zeke no longer sells the good crown gear, what he now carries will have to do. If you were lucky enough to get the old crown gear, then that would be my first choice in duels. However, whatever you can get that gives you the best shielding across the board will do.

Your deck.

Many choose to use a smaller deck for dueling. This allows them access to their most needed cards almost immediately. Shields traps and blades being your most important. Shields can not be stressed enough here. Get them up as soon as you can. Traps, these are what I usually throw next. Don't worry if they throw up shields. Its not the end of the world. At that point, I usually throw one of two cards. A convert, by passing the shield they threw and layering more traps or, I throw more and more traps. Here is my strategy in that. Layering the traps time after time may seem like a waste, however, my storm character carries a storm wand. When I get several layers of storm traps and enhancements thrown then I wand tap. This usually hits at a very low number which is usually laughed at as being weak. Next round comes one of the heavy artillery. Almost an instant kill. Layering the traps will build up and any and all enhancements added can be very deadly in a PvP match. As many blades as possible is never a bad thing either lol.

Some investments in the spells you have will help too.

Reshuffle - Colossus Blvd - One Point
Infection - Death school tree - One point
Amulets for your bigger spells at the Bazaar or farm for them. A little extra gold never hurt anyone either.

Remember, get those shields up asap. Layers of them. Clothing shielding is good and your first defense but shields can not be stressed enough. Get them up!

Traps, tons of them if you can. The deeper the layers the faster the wins. Just make sure you watch what your opponent throws as well. Keep track of them shields and layer more and more traps.

Blades. Each school gets one and Niles sells the triple sets. Several sets are never a bad thing.

The one most important aspect of this is one that rest with you the players. Listen, dueling is fun. Wizard101 is a fun and family game. You ARE NOT going to win every match. Sorry but its a cold hard fact. Nor are you going to meet every player with a smile. Some simply refuse to talk while others have an attitude all together. We are here by our own decision. We play because we want to. KingsIsle is under NO obligation to change things because you lost a match to a gold card user, nor are you not allowed their use either. We all have access to them so USE THEM!

The MOST IMPORTANT thing one must remember is this. ITS A GAME. You are here by YOUR CHOICE and its to have fun. Win or loose, have fun doing it. Enjoy the time and learn from the loses as you beam in your wins. Having fun doing it is the most important change many can make in their way of thinking. Not every match is a winner and not all matches will be lost. When you start having fun doing it is when everything will change. ENJOY THE GAME!

James DreamRider
GrandMaster Balance
No Retreat, No Surrender
and No One gets left Behind
USArmy Retired

Defender
Jun 17, 2009
MasterCowboy wrote:
The one most important aspect of this is one that rest with you the players. Listen, dueling is fun. Wizard101 is a fun and family game. You ARE NOT going to win every match. Sorry but its a cold hard fact. Nor are you going to meet every player with a smile. Some simply refuse to talk while others have an attitude all together. We are here by our own decision. We play because we want to. KingsIsle is under NO obligation to change things because you lost a match to a gold card user, nor are you not allowed their use either. We all have access to them so USE THEM!

The MOST IMPORTANT thing one must remember is this. ITS A GAME. You are here by YOUR CHOICE and its to have fun. Win or loose, have fun doing it. Enjoy the time and learn from the loses as you beam in your wins. Having fun doing it is the most important change many can make in their way of thinking. Not every match is a winner and not all matches will be lost. When you start having fun doing it is when everything will change. ENJOY THE GAME!

James DreamRider
GrandMaster Balance
No Retreat, No Surrender
and No One gets left Behind
USArmy Retired

the part that is bold i have a huge disagreement they take advantage of the gold card using you don't get how people make their 7 pip spell cards and use them at a level 20 when its a 7 pip spell you get at level 48 that in particular is cheating.. you did not earn that card you did not purchase the card..

in particular toughs and keen eyes are implemented and given to other players to make them win pvp matches. its a bit unfair they shouldn't be able to use level 48 spells. i would suggest they use their own level spells until they are sufficient level to use a correct spell.. see my point is example my grand myth makes orthrus cards in treasure. my 2nd school would be um life part death. i should be allowed to use cards from that school since i trained into it and worked hard to get the training points.. why do you think training points are hard to get in the first place.

Defender
Sep 28, 2008
tracinjd wrote:

the part that is bold i have a huge disagreement they take advantage of the gold card using you don't get how people make their 7 pip spell cards and use them at a level 20 when its a 7 pip spell you get at level 48 that in particular is cheating.. you did not earn that card you did not purchase the card..

in particular toughs and keen eyes are implemented and given to other players to make them win pvp matches. its a bit unfair they shouldn't be able to use level 48 spells. i would suggest they use their own level spells until they are sufficient level to use a correct spell.. see my point is example my grand myth makes orthrus cards in treasure. my 2nd school would be um life part death. i should be allowed to use cards from that school since i trained into it and worked hard to get the training points.. why do you think training points are hard to get in the first place.

Yes I get how they use the system and I get how there are many that abuse the system using wildbolts at level 5 is I feel unfair too. HOWEVER, until KingsIsle does something to change the system to make the duels what they SHOULD be, then, as long as they are allowed then I am saying use them. They are after all part of your arsenal. Everyone has access to Gold Cards and, regardless of how hilarious it is to watch a level 5 - 10 Wildbolt his way to Commander, its there for all to use and abuse as willed. You do not like it then stop dueling. I will not regardless and I hate to watch it myself. Until KI addresses the problems of low level commanders and the use of their gold card winnings, then I am saying fight your fires with fires. The way it looks though, KI will NOT address the issues nor will they fix the way lower levels can become Gold Card Commanders or Wildbolt Wonders. As such, every time I see one, I lose it laughing my head off knowing they could not possibly win anything on their own skills or earnings. This is the ONLY reason I included the gold card section in "Class101" . Want to duel with professionals who earned their ranks? Go to the practice sections. Otherwise, you have the same access to what everyone else has. Use it or not. THAT is YOUR decision to make. What I wrote is simply a guideline and NOTHING else.

James DreamRider
GrandMaster Balance
PvP Rank Captain
EARNED