Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

675 - 675 = 1

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
Let me start by saying I LOVE this game! I became a convert to it after extreme burn and disappointment in the direction and quality of just about every MMO out today. I play it with my wife and kids and we all have a blast. The fight's are engaging and yet mellow. We have time in any given turn to discuss strategy and team work, and even (don't let my kids hear this) Math! Yes, my 2nd grader has a basic understanding of number ranges, multiplication of fractions, and even probabilities thanks to this game! Now that is well spent money! So, it is with the sincerest, heart felt, thanks that I bring the following request to these boards.

I wanted to get this request out there as I didn't see it listed in Known Issues. I just completed my whirlwind tour of Mooshu (sp?) and noticed a frequent math error in combat. There are several creatures there with 675 health. I relied heavily, at first, Spectral Blast and Hex. The Spectral Fire Blast (base 440), combined with Hex (+30%), and my gear damage bonus of +18%, came to exactly 675 damage. This invariably left the any 675 creature with 1 health left. I saw this pattern repeated perfectly, across over a half dozen different creatures at least.

Now I know technically I only did (440*1.3)*1.18 = 674.96 ...not 675, so not enough damage, in the strictest sense, to take out what I was fighting. If you guys could fudge the rounding just a little more though, it would make my math moments in mooshu sooo much easier.

Thanks for the great game KingsIsle!

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
I have this happen every once in a while too, though in more places than Moo Shu.

I will cast a spell that causes what seems like just the right amount of damage, and the creature even appears to die, but on the next round it is still there, even says "defeated" instead of showing ANY health left.

Often the defeated creature isn't even visible, you just see and empty circle casting a spell.

It's very frustrating that after supposedly killing the creature that you have to go another round with it and it gets a chance to kill you when it even says it's dead, especially if you are low on health at that point too.

I know on completing a battle you often get 1 health point back and I am guessing that the creature does too and this is what keeps it "alive," even when it says "defeated." To me this seem like a glitch.

I have learned that it's always good to try to over-do the final blow to my opponents, just in case. But I do think this should be looked in to. I mean why even show it dying if it didn't really die?

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
this happens everywhere, its happened in just about every world and even in player vs player. please round the end values of attacks up and not down, it really bugs me when my opponent ends up with that one little hit point left. thanks KI.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
This is SO annoying when it happen because it an change whether you win a battle or not. The only issue that I had was one time my attack did more then enough to defeat them and they still had only ONE HP left and i think i lost the fight because of that.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2008
Man, I got killed this way fighting a boss

I say KI should include a part of the healing and damage system where it round to the nearest whole number if it has to. Like oceandaydreamer's post, it didnt get 675 exactly, but it was pretty darn close to finishing him off. I say, add something to the damage calculation to where if there is a decimal number, the game should automatically round it to the nearest whole number.

Explorer
Oct 16, 2008
The game does round, sort of. It's called truncating. It uses int(ergers) instead of float(ing point numbers) most likely. The monsters coming back from the dead though seems to be a completely random bug. I've noticed that the game sort of hangs for a bit before it comes back, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
Arenlor wrote:
The game does round, sort of. It's called truncating. It uses int(ergers) instead of float(ing point numbers) most likely. The monsters coming back from the dead though seems to be a completely random bug. I've noticed that the game sort of hangs for a bit before it comes back, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I don't really care whether they round up or not. They just need to make the same decision.

If you display the death animation, then the character is dead.

Instead, I think it regenerates the enemies one point per round, so first he's dead, and then he's not. The minions know it, and can even heal the "defeated" character, but we can't attack it until it hits us with pips that we would not have if we got defeated.

Explorer
Oct 16, 2008
It does round down if that's what you call it. I've hit creatures with well over what was needed and had them come back. I actually noticed, the two Gobblers at the very end of the lane in front of the castle tend to do this a lot. I think it's a communication glitch between server and client that causes them to come back, not the rounding glitch.