Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What's in a Name?

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Have you seen an item that didn't quite fit its name?

For example:
Shoes of the Spirit Fire that are actually a hat,

or something more subtle like:

boots that are actually shoes
a cowl that is actually a helmet
a sword that is actually an axe

If you do, reply to this message and let us know the details!

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Hero
May 02, 2009
Well other than some Myth GH swords that look like hammers and Axes, the only thing that I've noticed is that some items don't give the full boost, mainly with low level wizards from around levels 16 or 20 and below.

For Example, a robe that gives +3% fire resitance, plus a pair of boots that give +2% should give a total of 5% fire resistance right, well sometimes a combo that gives that much fire resistance will show that it gives only 4% fire resistance, one less than it should, or at least, that what it sometimes shows on a wizards stats when I view them.

So those could use some looking into, thank you for your time.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
I've found a couple

the Cowl of Correspondence is actually the Wolf-like headress
the Shroud of Predominance - a shroud is something that protects, usually from head to toe - shroud is more appropriate to use for a hooded cloak.

Gamma - I would check with ELik Silverfist and see if he has a catalogue with pictures!

Delver
May 29, 2009
These are some of the things that don't look like their names sound especially when you see others of the same name type.

Name-what they are

fairy shoes-boots
explorer boots-shoes
symmetrical shoes-boots
fireguard slippers-boots
proactive cowl-hat
restrictive mask-shroud
cap of advantages-cowl
cowl of the spider-hat
fruitous cap-helm
ancient helm-hat
gustshroud-helm
khaki cap-hat

Survivor
Aug 28, 2009
yes, the staff of deep thought is actually a wand. its the life wand you can buy in mooshu.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2009
Oh, the Reliquary Blade. The Myth "sword" from DragonSpyre. It's like a mallet, not a sword, and it ticks me off everytime I see it >.>

Survivor
May 17, 2009
Frozen Canine Cloak - It is an ice school hat that looks like a pilgrims hat from MB

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
There's a Lambent Blade that is really an axe and a Equilateral Sword that is also more an axe than anything. (And a Soul Brand that turns out to be a staff from what I can tell ...)

Does it count that the Hood of the Ranger looks a lot like a helmet to me, rather than a hood? (But the Helm of Dependability sure looks like a hood...). And the Fur Lined Hood looks more like a normal hat. Maybe I don't get the word hood in all its subtle meanings...

Administrator
Thank you, sgeier, that's exactly what I'm talking about - hoods that look like helmets, cowls that look like masks, masks that aren't masks, blades that are axes, staffs that are blades.

If it just doesn't seem to fit, let us know!

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
I happened to be at the Bazaar and noticed these. I'm sure there were more but I didn't have time to check.

These look like Spears:
Telluric Staff
Staff of the Night-Gaunt
Iceshard Staff

These look like Halberds:
Otomo's Staff of Dreaming
Ashikata's Staff of Intent

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
sorry don't have any items that were misnamed, but i loved the romeo and juliet reference and just had to let you guys know i got it :D!!

James Shadowthief Lvl 48 Necromancer

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
My balance wizard is currently running around with an athame named Locket of Equality. I would assume that a locket is something worn around one's neck.

Chase FireHammer

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
At the risk of asking something stupid: if the new features allow me to bring a shirt and a robe to the seamstress and she'll make something with the appearance of the one and the name of the other - doesn't that mean the floodgates are opened to all manner of equipment with all kinds of appearance? Why try to hunt down the few that exist if there's going to be a million now?

Survivor
Mar 09, 2009
Here're some that are in my backpack at the moment:

Stormbreaker Sandals are boots
Reinforced Helmet is a hat
Shoes of Bottled Anger are boots
Shoes of Deliberation are boots
Soulsapper's Twisted Ankh is a lizard not a cross with a loop at top
Spirit's Flowering Choker is a bamboo shoot with a leaf not a flowering item

And I hope that the following isn't off topic but:
The Dragonfire deck looks exactly the same as Blackrock's Obsidian deck

Fallon Moonrunner, Grandmaster Ice

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
My ice robes are called "Flamesouls" and it doesn't really make sense. I think KI forgot to add a word or two to the end of that.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2008
Hats that are called Crowns. If I get a crown it should look like a crown.
BA

Gamma wrote:

For example:

Survivor
Oct 09, 2008
Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Gamma wrote:

For example:

I've seen like a "helm" that is actually a robe. lol.

Explorer
Aug 18, 2009
Survivor
Sep 30, 2008
Survivor
Apr 04, 2009
Defender
May 11, 2009
i'm sorry i just really need to say this, i thought it because of the title of the post

"What's in a name it is nor hand nor foot or any other part of a man"
that is from Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet and Juliet says that

Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
:?

I personally think the "Raven Shoes" Stitch Item in Grizzleheim looks like furry boots ...

And the "Noble Garb" in Marleybone should be "Formal Garb", since the male version looks like the traditional suit jacket worn by butlers. "Noble" - in my way of think - should be more regal and less Blue Collar ...

:?

Survivor
Oct 07, 2008
gavinrt wrote:
this was a robe but it said cloke

what said this but anyway i have a noob character with the ruby slippers look like shoes or boots that thin from top to bottom

Survivor
Oct 24, 2009
Well, since I have to go to bed really soon, there is this wand. Prince's Dissolving Wand. It looks like a staff that is in a form of a golden cobra, not at all like a wand. Then Thunderblight Hood is more like a crown than anything else. Well, that's only from my invintory, but still. It may help or something. =3