Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Arena Matching

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 28, 2009
I have never done ranked pvp, and frankly, I don't think I ever will. Seeing all these stories makes me think twice if I really want to fight an unfair match against 'Puppet' teams or people that are 50 levels lower than me. Of course, Kingsisle probably could care less about what anyone says, but if they did, they would either attempt to change the system, or post a reply on their thoughts. If they don't, it just proves that they only care about your money and not your satisfaction.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
satchel929 wrote:
PVP is so unbalanced in this game. Purchased gear against dropped gear. What a joke. Some people only have a subscription. They are no match for those with unlimited crowns to buy the latest and greatest gear. I am level 30 death and was paired with 2 80's today. It should be those with arena gear fight other arena geared (that will lose it's appeal quick if they can't beat their opponents) or crown gear fight others of the same. Also a cap system level wise, 10 to 20, or based on HP and level. I stopped playing for over a year because of it. I am a good sport and can take a loss, but only in a fair fight. If you folks start complaining on the MMO's sites, it will definitely have an effect. Complaining here obviously does nothing. The higher ranked, big money spenders have the support of KingsIsle. Bottom line is, it's all about the money.

I have to disagree with you Satchel. I'm a level 80 Balance who recently made Commander in 1v1. Some wands purchased with crowns are great. Other than that the best pvp gear is from drops and some crafted items. IMO Waterworks gear is still the best all around PvP gear.

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Gamma wrote:

The Ranked Player vs Player (PvP) matching system in Wizard101 is based on two very important factors: the Level of your Wizard character and the current PvP Rank of your Wizard character. The Level of your character is more important than the Rank, but your Rank is still a significant determining factor.

When you join a Ranked match, the system takes your information and tries to pair it up as closely as possible with other players who are currently waiting to compete. If no comparable players are waiting to compete, the system will widen the search. The longer you wait, the wider the search, and the bigger the difference between yourself and your opponent.

For matches of 2v2 or higher, the system will average out the determining factors for all the participants and attempt to match up players to the best teams and opponents that are available. The more players who are online and participating in the Player vs Player feature, the more closely the teams will be matched. When there are fewer players participating in the Player vs Player feature, the team members will be more varied and the differences between opponents will be larger.
Fix it when you get paired up with a private and your a captain or higher that you dont lose 25 plus points because then how are you ever going go get a higher rank when you lose more points when you beat a private, when you beat a private you get 5 points thats just not fair.

Survivor
Sep 24, 2010
I used to buy gears from Crown Shop until I reached 80 and I end up wearing drops and crafted items. Crown gears are only good for display. The only one I bought from crowns that I still use is the level 80 flute.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I rally enjoyed my 4v4 level 20 to 30 team being paired up against a 4v4 level 70 to 80 team... could things possibly be any more fair???

Survivor
Mar 13, 2010
Isn't your rank more significant? I mean, I'm a lvl 28 warlord that always fights lvl 60's that are privates.

Survivor
May 02, 2011
I still think its messed up. If a level 38 knight (me) does a pvp with a level 31 and a level 30 does a 3v3, I dont think we should play against three level 80s.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Gamma wrote:

The Ranked Player vs Player (PvP) matching system in Wizard101 is based on two very important factors: the Level of your Wizard character and the current PvP Rank of your Wizard character. The Level of your character is more important than the Rank, but your Rank is still a significant determining factor.

When you join a Ranked match, the system takes your information and tries to pair it up as closely as possible with other players who are currently waiting to compete. If no comparable players are waiting to compete, the system will widen the search. The longer you wait, the wider the search, and the bigger the difference between yourself and your opponent.

For matches of 2v2 or higher, the system will average out the determining factors for all the participants and attempt to match up players to the best teams and opponents that are available. The more players who are online and participating in the Player vs Player feature, the more closely the teams will be matched. When there are fewer players participating in the Player vs Player feature, the team members will be more varied and the differences between opponents will be larger.
Why am i a lvl 20 vs a 33 he just flew to centars and i was dead?

Explorer
Sep 03, 2012
Thanks. I finally have some clarification on PvP dueling!

Explorer
Nov 04, 2012
Guys i think we need to calm down ( sorry for the little bit de-railment )

liam spellcaster level 11 myth

Survivor
May 02, 2011
I still do think it is messed up. I have a lvl 5 death private in pvp and i was doing a 2v2 with a friend and he is a level 10 life private. We played a level 34 and a level 37.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2012
thx you so much i was getting confused XDDDDDDD o ya i am wolf shadowflame i have two arch mages and tree legends working on storm i can help you with pvp if ya want o ya they all way warlords so

Survivor
Oct 27, 2012
I just want to say that in Practice PvP a lot of people quick join to join a group where the owners made friend only 4v4(usually) and then leave after not getting enough friends or something the group sometimes have people joined and more people come and come on and those people have to wait forever to PVP -_- nearly half the pvp boards are friend only group on one side and others on other side the players

And people please dont go off doing something while waiting on pvp people have to wait because of you

Survivor
Feb 06, 2010
kina weird cause i lose all the time. i am like lvl 44 and i can't even beat a lvl 18! please make it a bit easier.
and i have bought a lot of the phoenix pack and have not earned the mount, my friends have in 1 pack. the game is harder for me.
but i still like it i have played for 3 years
and gamma why wont it lemme play pirate101 very much?
i downloaded it and it only lets me play for 1 minute and then it stops.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2010
gamma if you guys fix the pvp to a bit easier please reply to me saying you did
kingsisle is the best game i ever played and it has been for 3 years. i have played a long time and know the game so well my friends wanna play it. but the mounts in the packs are harder for me now. is there any chance of making it easier in christmas season? thank you for making this a great game kingsisle

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
well guys i dont think there's that many problems with the new pvp set up, i think its great... maybe your just over reacting all the same i am level 28 balance Adam Moonwielder. i only started ranked today and i love it i am knight... still i am not that good. i know versing higher level and ranked people is annoying and hard but believe in yourself...

AMY!!!

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
sprocketrocket8 on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
well guys i dont think there's that many problems with the new pvp set up, i think its great... maybe your just over reacting all the same i am level 28 balance Adam Moonwielder. i only started ranked today and i love it i am knight... still i am not that good. i know versing higher level and ranked people is annoying and hard but believe in yourself...

AMY!!!
It has lots of other problems though. grab a partner and fight a few level 90's

Survivor
Dec 30, 2011
the system is broken IMO - my magus team loves to do 3v3 or 4v4. At least twice in the same month, my team mates have faced a 4v4 team with lvl's 80 - 90 and all were captain to warlord. Not fairly matched up opponents IMO again . screen shots have been sent to K I, with no reply to justify how that was a fairly matched up team of opponents. But the system is broken, and I only say it because K I as replied to me in several emails that they "were working to fix reported problems with puppet teams defeating all low lvl teams. That sounds like an admitted problem to me. I love to pvp on this game so i just keep on signing up with hopes that puppeting issues will be resolved.

Survivor
Apr 24, 2010
phantombeck on Dec 12, 2009 wrote:
couple of things.

1) tired of people saying "get rid of" this or that in PvP. i have a better solution for you - tower shield and pip boosts. every character has a killer spell or two and it all comes down to who has the best shields and who gets their pips up first. these are things that are accessible to EVERYBODY in the game, so there's not a problem. now, there are some things that should be reconsidered in PvP - namely, items that you can only get with crowns. there are a few pets and some armor that are very helpful in PvP and if somebody wants to spend $30 to $50 real life cash, they can get a great advantage in the arenas (especially at low levels). Without going too far into it, this is almost bribery. W101 gives extreme advantages to whoever gives them the most money. Trust me, I understand why... however, I think it has already backlashed (evident by the very low numbers in PvP) and may backlash worse (as in loss of subscriptions).

2) you need to provide more incentive for PvP. Like most other games (i've never fully understood the logic behind this), you use PvE to drive PvP - meaning, you have to PvE in order to level in order to get cards in order to fight in the arena. But, like most other games, there's no PvE advantage to PvPing. Okay, maybe a coulpe of the lower level captain armor pieces are okay, but not any better for PvE than what you can get in normal play... I think the assumption with game devs is that PvPers either (A) have everything they need (B) don't like PvE of (C) are content just going into jacked up round after jacked up round with nothing to look forward to except armor that you can't use for PvE. I think this is a misconception. I have a few ideas, but you guys are the devs and I'm sure you've thought of them. To keep it simple, you need to (soon) increase the incentive for some of the 5 million people to get in the arena... it's getting kinda boring in there alone.

3) this whole "leveling down" thing... i've been gaming for almost 10 years and I just have to double check something. So, every other time i step in the arena, I cast some spell and then the opponent says "gg" and disappears. As I understand it, they are leveling down so that they can fight little privates while still wearing their great armor and stuff. Okay, I dog it - I understand it - I'm cool with it. What I'm not cool with is giving me a W/L for the round. Now, I may be mistaken, but it appears that every time somebody leaves the round like that, I (the one who stayed) gets a Win and a Loss... this does not make any sense. If that's the way it works, it needs to stop.

4) last, there need to be custom matches. It's a very simple thing to do - if I can code it using C# on an 11 year old game, you guys should be able to do it pretty easily with this platform. Just make it where the person setting it up (this is where you can add incentive for NOT leveling down - make this arena limited to captain or above) gets to choose virtually everything - what schools, spells, pets, etc. are not allowed for the match. That would also effectively solve the people crying about legit spells like judgment, bolt, and the dogs. But you can't do this until you give incentive to go to the arenas - we need more targets in the arena before you go changing the way they operate.

thanks. good game here. hope it holds my interest for a while.

Quinn
Lvl 35
Record w/l: 37/15
PVP In General, is a Tricky Process.
First, theres the fact that you need Real Money to get into Ranked.(Unless your a Practice PVPer)
Then, theres the level and Class you are.
Advantages to each Class and Level are outstanding in numbers.
For Example:
The Life Class, given your level, (Lets say 70) you get Guardian Spirit, a very powerful spell that technically gives you a Second Chance in PVP, Lower Levels getting lots of Health and Heals.

Depending on your Class and Level, you have disadvantages also.
The Life Class, Even though it has a lot of Health and Heals, they are short on attacks and power.
In this case, A Low Level Life against a Low Level Storm, would lose.
But, a HIGH Level Life would get more Health in the future, and thus beat the HIGH level Storm (More Likely)

I suggest using this to your advantage.
Get to whatever rank you please at a low level (If your Storm)
Might want to wait a while if your Life. ETC for other classes

Erin AshDreamer
Level 80 Life
PVP Sergeant.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2011
Fiona Silverheart on Sep 30, 2009 wrote:
I have a major issue with the rank system.

The last two duels I had were against level 40 pyromancer who was a corporal, and a level 38 pyromancer who was a sergeant.

My character is a level 28 necromancer captain.

In the duel against the level 40 pyromancer I won, and gained 6 points of rank.

In the duel against the level 38 I lost and lost 25 points of rank.

How in the world is this system fair when dueling opponents 10-12 or more levels higher for little or no gain, yet losing costs more than four times the gain from a single duel.

In both instances the duel was matched in less than ten seconds, so it would seem the system thought they were very evenly matched.

At this point I am stopping dueling because to make up for a single loss I need to win 80% of the duels. It seems unreasonable to expect to win at that rate against higher level opponents.
I agree with Malhavoc. It doesnt make sense cause if its a fair match, then the points should be fair too. The privates should also lose high points. It happens all the times with captains and commander and warlord. But what do we do? We just earn it back. How can we earn it back if we fight privates AGAIN? One time i got zero.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
Woah, I thought the system was way messed up. Thanks for the info.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2011
Gamma, How can you find thousands of players level and rank and match them up

Survivor
Nov 09, 2010
thanks that helps a lot because sometimes i wait a bit and get matched with level 60 to 70 and i'm a commander lvl 38 and now ill just keep refreshing the pvp if it takes too long

Survivor
Jan 13, 2013
Okay! I am a level 25 private Wizard and just got summoned to the Pigswick Arena for my first arena fight/match duel whatever! After reading all of the comments, I am going to pass it over! I have enough issues fighting the goblins, who have awesome spells and I can't even get pips to pop up so I can heal myself! I don't need to drop down in points and be at an even lower disadvantage then I seem to be at!
I am glad to know that it is not just me having issues. I am hearing the rest of you, who have much higher rank and better spells than I do-having issues, what chance do I have? Thanks Ambrose, but no thanks! I will just stick to questing!

Survivor
Mar 31, 2012
PvP isnt fair at all, based on what
lvl not true
rank not true.I love to pvp and I quit cuz first of all I am sick of people cheating the game with whatever they using , to gain xtra points, hit harder make you pass your turn, and now the bug, that they click on puter off button and get out of the match and dont loose any points when we still loosing a bunch.
Rank how can it be fair when people are wearing clothing from higher lvl and using higher lvl spells to win matches. In 1v1 minions shouldnt be alaud at all after all is (1v1).correct the term says it all.
They need to fix many bugs and quit putting more new stuff that will be bugged in no time cuz everything else is.

PS. And be aware off hackers, last night in dye shop my little bro got hacked he didnt say anything or nothis he was just dying his clothes the screen flicked and voila his account gone.
This is what KI need to address. Like ASAP.