Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Arena Matching

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 02, 2011
Gamma wrote:

The Ranked Player vs Player (PvP) matching system in Wizard101 is based on two very important factors: the Level of your Wizard character and the current PvP Rank of your Wizard character. The Level of your character is more important than the Rank, but your Rank is still a significant determining factor.

When you join a Ranked match, the system takes your information and tries to pair it up as closely as possible with other players who are currently waiting to compete. If no comparable players are waiting to compete, the system will widen the search. The longer you wait, the wider the search, and the bigger the difference between yourself and your opponent.

For matches of 2v2 or higher, the system will average out the determining factors for all the participants and attempt to match up players to the best teams and opponents that are available. The more players who are online and participating in the Player vs Player feature, the more closely the teams will be matched. When there are fewer players participating in the Player vs Player feature, the team members will be more varied and the differences between opponents will be larger.
Well thats not to nice for me i made a ranked 1v1 and as soon as i hit the create match button it joined me in a fight i was a level 26 ice knight and i faced a grandmaster who was a veteran, whats up with that! As i been defeated by the grandmaster "vet" i lost 20 points i have quit pvp after that. please can KI debug this so i can get back to pvp.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2011
bettercarpenter wrote:
tunerpw wrote:
Malhavoc wrote:
I have a major issue with the rank system.

The last two duels I had were against level 40 pyromancer who was a corporal, and a level 38 pyromancer who was a sergeant.

My character is a level 28 necromancer captain.

In the duel against the level 40 pyromancer I won, and gained 6 points of rank.

In the duel against the level 38 I lost and lost 25 points of rank.

How in the world is this system fair when dueling opponents 10-12 or more levels higher for little or no gain, yet losing costs more than four times the gain from a single duel.

In both instances the duel was matched in less than ten seconds, so it would seem the system thought they were very evenly matched.

At this point I am stopping dueling because to make up for a single loss I need to win 80% of the duels. It seems unreasonable to expect to win at that rate against higher level opponents.

I battle grandmasters with my friend cody all the time! He uses his lvl 28 Death Wizard and i use either my lvl 36 death or my lvl 37 myth. we battle and BEAT grandmasters all the time. The only way to get more exp points is to play a better match. Do not use extremely high end attacks or you will not gain as many points. I used to get killed all the time but only lose 0-1 points! Thats because i didnt use high end spells and the opponent did... Hope this helps!

no way. this is only possible if the GM are beginners in arena or/and your bolting.

It is possible, I am a level 30 and I got to battle level 45s and 50s.(I am knight and they were private, thought.)

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
Idk, today I lost to a level 42 ice who was a commander, I am a level 30 balance knight.. one time I even faced a level 55 storm, not the highest rank but.. of course.. he wiped the floor with me..

Survivor
Feb 12, 2010
can someone help me please!
i have 5 level 70 wizards (death,fire,ice,balance,life) and two 80 wizards (myth and storm) and i really want to become warlords. So can someone pelase help and train me to become better in pvp! i will do anything

Survivor
May 25, 2011
Survivor
May 17, 2009
I don't like PVPing anymore... It's not fun. Now all you can do is use minions and attack. All the schools are completely unfair. Wizards should level everyone above 50 back to level 50 to make pvp FAIR. And Wizards has been SOOOOO jealous to ice. They can have over 5000 life.

Survivor
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks, I've never wanted to try ranked PVP because I've always thought I would go against like a warlord or commander or something, so I've always just tried practice, but thanks for saying this. I'm gonna try ranked PVP now. :D :D :D :D :D

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
stormlord86 wrote:
killbox wrote:
I am so sick of your so called matching system, that i may cancel my payments forever. I just got out of the arena fighting ALL grand, not just one or two. I just cant justify the wins vs losses when it comes to points. 4 points for a win against a grand? 25 lost points if i lose to a grand?
I am only a level 30. Maybe if more people threatened to take money away from you guys, you might do something. This is rediculous. There are many ways to fix this. I am sure others would agree that the only thing cared about here is money. The longer a person takes to get gear that means the longer they pay to do it. Hence more money in your pocket. Its time to give back to the players!
FIX THE ARENA MATCHING! DO IT BY LEVEL ONLY, NOT RANK.

i agree this is ridiculous my death is level 28 rank 850 i fought a grand fire with a rank of 223 and i got 0 points for winning thats right I GOT ZERO POINTS FOR A 15 MINUTE MATCH!!!!!! fix it soon it needs to be fixed and do it right this time.
ive been reading a few posts here and it seems level 28 to 30 death wizards are beating level 50 fire wizards. whats up with that! if you level 28s can beat a level 50 then what about a actual level 50 death wizard. can a level 50 death wizard beat a level 80 fire wizard as easy are you are saying you beat that level 50 guy. because if so then i am definetly not EVER stepping a foot in pvp(btw if this seems off topic to some people im sorry i just felt the need to quote on this)

Survivor
Sep 22, 2010
456bill wrote:
I don't like PVPing anymore... It's not fun. Now all you can do is use minions and attack. All the schools are completely unfair. Wizards should level everyone above 50 back to level 50 to make pvp FAIR. And Wizards has been SOOOOO jealous to ice. They can have over 5000 life.

I AM HAPPY. Kingsisle has been able to make people think ice is the best, its not. ice are noobs. who need defense from people like me, i and him win lots of matches, its not what type you are but how much skill you have, of course though it happens to be what gear ice wears and if they go 1st/.[colo r=red]

Survivor
Aug 04, 2009
Survivor
Oct 15, 2010
Gamma I like your emoticon
{o,o}
l)_)
-?-?-

I know off topic sorry. I am really and i mean really bad at PvP. So I dont normally do PvP . Oh Gamma you should ask someone to put a owl emoticon so we can use a just as awesome emoticon only in less time. I know
serioulsy off topic again sorry.

Nicholas Deathbringer lv.63
legendary pyromancer

{o,o}
l)_)
-?-?- Because Gamma (and all owls) are awesome.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2010
Michael161 wrote:
Thanks Gamma for a very interesting explanation.

Do you have any idea of the best times to log on to play PvP matches? By that, I mean when are the most PvP players online?

I live in the UK and due to time differences and the odd times I can log on to play, I can't figure out the best time. I assume most players are in the US, and will log on during the day - but at what times?

Is it best to log on when kids come home from school, in the evening after they've eaten and done their homework, or to wait till later when the older players (who perhaps are more likely to be subscribers) are online?

Basically, when is the Ranked Arena busiest?
Most kids are out of school except for the states that go year round, but many sleep late and stay up late so about when they would get home (mostly 3:30-4:30) would be my guess.

Explorer
Dec 12, 2010
Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
Ok this for gamma what has PvP come to it use to be fun for all but if you look now the matching system is broke you have level 80 teaming up with level 1 who has down ranked to 100 rank way below private as the level 80 is warlord this is Puppet teams that pairing will get matched with 2 level 30-40's and as everyone knows is no match for a multi hit spell from a level 80 who can critical and they cant even block the critical attack now in ranked matches you see it more and more the unjust thats being done to mid level players who want to try PvP ranked so they can learn many are getting discouraged and are even leaving the Game due to this unfair advantage I have stated in other message boards there should be a level cap on friends that join i suggest a 5 level cap so a level 80 can only team up with level 75 at the lowest yes i know people will down rank but at least a level 80 is not getting cheap rank from level 40's this Puppet system has to end and PvP has to be fair for all who join

TY

Survivor
May 10, 2009
The system IS messed up, tell me how is it fair that I, a level 33 myth along with my friend both veteran, end up fighting a level 80 rank 900 and a level 1 rank 0. The level 80 can kill us first turn from a critical, even with the system of level and rank you need to make a level range, level 40-50 fights other level 40-50s and so on IF THEY CHOOSE TO. Then make a seperate branch where its free rankings and levels so puppet teams can puppet on each other.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2009
I have a perfect example of unfair matching in PvP

My lvl 50 ice wizard has managed to get up to commander, so the enemies are much higher level than I am. Earlier today, i got paired up against a lvl 80 ice wizard in 1v1 with a rank of 0. From the very beginning, I was hopelessly outmatched: he had almost 5,000 health and 45% resist to all schools. When I lost, my score got bumped down 31 points. That's equal to about 12 wins at my rank, since I get a meager 2 or 3 points for each win against a private!

Because of this horrible matching, I lost the commander ranking that I had just achieved.

My suggestion is that the scoring system goes back to the way it used to be so that people with rank 0 (people that are actually good but ranked all the way down for, say, 4v4) don't end up destroying lower levels' ranks. Make each win the same and each loss the same, that way it's fair like it used to be.

Survivor
May 27, 2010
To all of those complaining about puppets that do 2v2,
1) The pvp system actually already filters it the best it can, only 5% of the time to people actually that are level 30s pvp level 1 and 80 teamed.
2) Puppet people tend to fight other puppet people, I did research using my second account and made it so that I puppeted with my level 10 and 1. I did this 4 times and each time I ended up fighting level 80s and level 10s (on same team). The puppet problem is really a rare occurance when you look at it from a nuetral perpective, Not only is it not an issue, pvp is not meant to be a major part in gaming. Pvp is meant to be a side thing for fun and to challenge your skill vs others, if someone is smart enough to figure out that an archmage with a novice can fight masters or magi (maguses, etc.) they cannot be very bright. Sure at first the way it went was puppet vs noobs (no offense low levels) or puppets vs grands but it simply isnt an issue anymore. The ammount of puppets just officially went over 50,000 and tha means 80-95% of the time a puppet fights another puppet. Really most puppet teams fight rank 900-1200 magi (WHATEVER!) anyways. They normally have around 30-60 resist anyways due to the ammount of low level upgrades and them having archmage accounts they hatch with. Really 90% of the 5% that they fight low levels, it's with warlords with 50-60 resist anyways and considering there's only 10% time where they fight low levels with bad stats it really doesnt matter. My archmage yes did win repeatedly but this isnt a valid point because I had 3-1000 health when I won nearly each time. It drove me nuts how many shields i had to stack up against level 35s. The record health lowest was 3 health and it was done by a level 26. Tell me puppet isnt fair eh? What about tcs? Frankly my level 41 balance has tried pvp and I fight level 2 warlords that use mammoth. There really is no point in low level pvp cause everyone just tc spams. Nobody can actually use normal spells to win. If you wanna complain about puppets, do your research. Those that claim, "I have had 50 matches that were puppets in last few days" look at your total matches. That I bet isnt even 30% of all of them.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
why is it so hard to rank up in pvp? my level 50 Storm wont rank up when i have a total of 5342 arena tickets and am still a private! why is it so hard to rank up?! :( :-( :|

Survivor
Oct 22, 2009
So i'm a private in PvP. Why am I getting matched with Warlords if this is how the systems works? Ah, must be broken or bugged. My mistake.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
Gamma wrote:

The Ranked Player vs Player (PvP) matching system in Wizard101 is based on two very important factors: the Level of your Wizard character and the current PvP Rank of your Wizard character. The Level of your character is more important than the Rank, but your Rank is still a significant determining factor.

When you join a Ranked match, the system takes your information and tries to pair it up as closely as possible with other players who are currently waiting to compete. If no comparable players are waiting to compete, the system will widen the search. The longer you wait, the wider the search, and the bigger the difference between yourself and your opponent.

For matches of 2v2 or higher, the system will average out the determining factors for all the participants and attempt to match up players to the best teams and opponents that are available. The more players who are online and participating in the Player vs Player feature, the more closely the teams will be matched. When there are fewer players participating in the Player vs Player feature, the team members will be more varied and the differences between opponents will be larger.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I love this! :D! This has a thumb up from Da Reaper ;D

Survivor
May 08, 2009
A great idea to fix the pvp matching system would be to stop having matches rely so heavily on pvp rank. This would be nice and could stop high ranked lower lvl being paired with low rank, much higher levels.

Survivor
May 31, 2009
Ok, this is so messed up! I have been going for warlord for ever! Ever since I hit grandmaster, legendary artisan and warlord in PvP were my to goals. After The very battle that I got veteran in, I was immediately forced to fight archmage storm life and ice. And I have ranked down to CORPOREAL . With the help of my other legendary storm friend who had the same thing happen to her, redeemed our selves to sergeant. Please improve the system. Why do we have to fight archmage when we are only legendary. I have seen multiple lvl 5 wizards with warlord status. I mean come on. I am so sick of going down in my ranks.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
A quiet PVP night when I got there. Played a practice 4v4 which took a long time to get players set. It was a great match, seemed quite even. Played a ranked 1v1 and ended up with a level 45 fire against my level 80 death. Over in three rounds. It was sad. I had 4,500 health, she had 1,800. She never even got a hit off.

I'll try again tomorrow and see if there's more action.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2012
I am sick and tired of going against people 20 levels higher just because they're privates. It irritates me to no end. If i manage to beat them, i get what, 7 rank at the max. But if i lose, i lose over 20 rank each time. I mean, one loss takes several hours to get back. I know you don't listen a whole lot to the community, but i think this is totally unfair and uncool to everyone.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2008
PVP is so unbalanced in this game. Purchased gear against dropped gear. What a joke. Some people only have a subscription. They are no match for those with unlimited crowns to buy the latest and greatest gear. I am level 30 death and was paired with 2 80's today. It should be those with arena gear fight other arena geared (that will lose it's appeal quick if they can't beat their opponents) or crown gear fight others of the same. Also a cap system level wise, 10 to 20, or based on HP and level. I stopped playing for over a year because of it. I am a good sport and can take a loss, but only in a fair fight. If you folks start complaining on the MMO's sites, it will definitely have an effect. Complaining here obviously does nothing. The higher ranked, big money spenders have the support of KingsIsle. Bottom line is, it's all about the money.