Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Arena Matching

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
kryon256 wrote:
twinkygurl wrote:
I agree. The matching system can be unfair sometimes. Not only do they sometimes match you against people you likely have no chance against level wise but also the chances of you actually winning a battle when your health is 700 and the person you are fighting's health is 2,000 is slim to nothing. Something needs to be done. Every time i battle pvp i get matched with some one whose health far exceeds mine. They pass for 4 turns and then wipe me out in one shot with a high level treasure or normal spell. It is hardly fair and I have yet to earn any rank points because of this.

I agree, and to make matters worse, you get into duels with these higher level wizards and they simply delight in being cruel by words to add insult to injury.

For example, just today I "quick joined" a 1 vs. 1 match and KI's magical matchmaking system paired me up with a level thirty-something wizard (I'm simply a level 15 Sorcerer at this point). Now usually, this is the part where I state that he wiped the floor with me in about three moves...but I'm good at PvP for what its worth and it took him about 5 minutes to finally start making the battle not bode well for me (I was strategic with my healing and my shields, thank you Balance and Life).

But anyways, the guy was a...meanie...to use a weak insult in place of a much more deserving insult which I won't state here. Mostly he was delighting in pretending that he had true skill, even though he was levels upon levels higher than me. In addition, he brought in a few of his cronies to stand on the arena sides to cheer him on and insult me during the battle, acting as if I was the thirty-something, and he was the weak one. One of his friends said on quote, "i like killing low levels, its fun to watch them squeal."

I know its been said a dozen times, but as a paying customer I have the right to say it again: this ranked PvP system needs fixing, asap. We need a better matchmaking system, for all of the reasons that annoyed people like me have been stating for a long time.

Something isn't right when a level 15 whatever gets paired up with a level 42 whatever, and even though we've been told that the system tries to pair you up with someone close to your level and rank, I'll be one to say it here: we need a more robust system.

As for me: I'm staying away from ranked PvP with 6 wins and 4 loses.
I'm happy with that.

i have the same iussie and sad part is i am a lvl60 and i get stuck with this young arrogant kids who think they know every thing and call me rude and all sorts of colorful words i play the pvp fair but not often

Survivor
Feb 02, 2010
I think that if a lower level wins [and thier rank is about the same], that they should get more of a reward in rank instead of getting like 14 they should get 27 depending on what they were facing. That or they should be able to choose, more rank or a free treasure card. Not a good idea to give out rank 5+ pip cards cause then people give then to level ones and win in pvps without trying

Survivor
Apr 10, 2010
I agree with all above, I'm a lvl 26 Death Warlord - rank 1180
Now i have to face every lvl between 50 and 60 who usually have at least double my health not to mention stronger spells and CRITICAL. Even though I often manage to survive i do not really like being hit by Levithan or Efreet who can one hit me. And you do keep this matching-system give arena gear some block rate to make things a little bit more fair..

Thank you,
Quinn

Survivor
Jul 01, 2011
I'm probably gonna get a lot of flack with my following comments...

As a paying member, I decided to take advantage of the ranked pvp. Here I was thinking I would get paired up with someone close in level to me. Nuh uh! Was not gonna happen! I got a kid who was way up on the ladder, with an attitude to match and me being only a sergeant at that time! Sadly, I'm presently busted down to Private with my loss.

Here I was thinking my strategy was going to be played out to its fullest only to find out I was about to be hit with (as I was only familiar with the Treasure cards at this point) a really nasty five pip card. I was annihilated in the fifth round! Where was the fairness in that?

Yes, yes, I know it's just a game. So, I pulled up my big girl pants and offered a "gg" to my opponent and received a "I am good" comeback. Huh?

I beg to differ on "good"; you're only as good as your best card/spell!

I'm still not sure if he hit me with a Treasure card or a spell he has learned. I don't even know what his level was for him to have learned that hard hitting spell.

I am now reluctant to play any more 1v1 ranked pvp. I did try to get in on a couple of 2v2 and 3v3 ranked, but, after waiting over two hours, the matches never occurred. Isn't that a kind of long waiting period?

Lastly, I now make it a stipulation when playing practice pvp with my friends, that Treasure cards are not to be used. Save those for the real battles in quests, since once you use them they're gone! These are "practice" games where strategy can be key when you are going against some very large odds.

BTW, I am now more familiar with the spells that can be learned per level with each school. The last friend who was nailing me with Treasure cards in practice, I fled the match, informed him I didn't appreciate his tactics, then removed him from my friends list.

Anyhow, that's my two cents on this matter.

Explorer
Jul 14, 2010
I agree that people who spam efreet/firedragon/angel/gaint/tower/elf/kraken/zilla/triton/lord/levy/quake/medusa/minotaur/orthrus/forest lord/centaur/rebirth/wraith/dragon/nova/ra are annoying, but how the hay do we deal with it? KI will take massive time to read this and program it. Truth be told? Either 1: leave it alone (done on most) or 2: Fight fire with fire. Use the treasure cards. Hatch that annoying low level firezilla. Show them how it feels. Do it and they might realize what's happened. BTW, All my stuff is evenly matched, minus the above spam list and huge resistance from sea dragon.
-Ronan

Survivor
Aug 05, 2011
i dont wish to sound critical, i am loving the game overall tremendously.. except for my issues with the pvp ranking system.. i know you are aware of some if not all of my issues but id like to list them and some ideas for correcting them as i really enjoy playing the pvp matches when i actually get into a match.. well most of them.. afew of the matches put me at lvl 10 vs players over 30 lvls higher than me who totally cremated me in seconds so that wasnt too much fun:LOL

1st instead of the auto quickjoin function that is slow as molasses.. id show the lvl and rank of the person in the queue and let people click on the one that they wish to join instead of leaving it to chance.. also, put a lvl cap on duels so that nobody can join a match that has someone over 10 levels above or below their level.. and lastly after waiting 10 - 15 minutes to get a team and opponents have the duel start a countdown timer.. if someone doesnt click enter arena while the timer is counting down they are kicked from the match so that people are not waiting and waiting for one person to click to begin the match.

please adopt some new policies to make pvp fun for me cause the endless waiting for opponents and allies to pvp in ranked games is ruining the game for me and im sure for many others also.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2010
This PvP ranking system is horrendous. I am level 21 and have had 10 matches in a row lately: 1 was competitive; 1, I destroyed some low level person; and 8 other matches against people who destroyed me with insane spells, criticals, pets, and other nonsense that I won't have access to for another 30 levels.

It is not fun when the opponent's level 1 frost beetle hits me (without blades, traps, nothing) for 257 damage -- just insane. It is not hard to code how much damage people do and add that to the ranking system to make sure people get a much more even match.

This is no different from going to your local playground and either getting Michael Jordan on your team versus 2 third graders, or you get stuck with Erkel on your team vs Dirk and Kobe. Neither situation is fun and it is mostly a complete waste of time. All of this can be averted with better coding and I'm shocked at how horrible it is. These 10 matches have been on Friday/Saturday with masses of people in the PvP queues so matching should be optimum. Out of the hundreds I see in the queue, 80% of the time I am paired against are 20 levels more than me? Really? PvP rank should mean only 15% of the equation but it is obviously the main factor.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2010
Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
No way is it fair that my lvl 28 fire was only lvl 60s. I lose 31 points a pop when they pull a critical. Plus, the 90%+ damage boost with storm goes right through my pvp gear. Yet, when I win... I get 0 points vs a lvl 60? What's going on?

People UNDER level 50 should not face anyone OVER level 50. Period. End of story. That way, people below level 50 do not have to worry about being 1 shot with a critical + gar Kraken... etc. Gargantuan also kills lower levels.

No way is this matching fair.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
Yes, I too think this is unfair i have a lvl 30 balance, who often goes up to lvl 45+ almost never under 45, though these 45's are quiet easy i think the + are the one's bringing my down well a few days ago i vs a lvl 58+ (didn't quiet get the lvl but the spell is obvious a legendary spell) and i was forced down by about 30+ points i've killed other lvl 50+ and only gotten 3-4 max 5 off them in rank I plz ask wizard101 they AT LEAST give us more points for going though the long tiring battles, and plz ban treasure cards,

treasure cards can be "fun" for most people but end up as unfair wins examples; lvl 13 wit talos and lvl 15 with tempest and maybe a lvl 33 wit nonstop tower shields!

summery: Plz make the points won for killing people over your lvl higher! and also ban treasure cards from pvp

sincerly; legendary death Sarah deathmancer, and magus balance Destiny moonshard :D

Explorer
Sep 20, 2011
Gamma wrote:

The Ranked Player vs Player (PvP) matching system in Wizard101 is based on two very important factors: the Level of your Wizard character and the current PvP Rank of your Wizard character. The Level of your character is more important than the Rank, but your Rank is still a significant determining factor.

When you join a Ranked match, the system takes your information and tries to pair it up as closely as possible with other players who are currently waiting to compete. If no comparable players are waiting to compete, the system will widen the search. The longer you wait, the wider the search, and the bigger the difference between yourself and your opponent.

For matches of 2v2 or higher, the system will average out the determining factors for all the participants and attempt to match up players to the best teams and opponents that are available. The more players who are online and participating in the Player vs Player feature, the more closely the teams will be matched. When there are fewer players participating in the Player vs Player feature, the team members will be more varied and the differences between opponents will be larger.

Please see my post and give me another explanation.. i didn't wait much and i had to face a lvl 60 balance. I am lvl 40 fire (even if he was private and i was knight)... and 25 points for him for winning and -25 for me? how is it possible ??

Survivor
Feb 02, 2011
Due to the incredibly long waiting time for a match I stopped trying to participate ranked pvp.

The waiting time = failed implementation.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2010
I want to no why i am lvl 5 face lvl 33 fire are you people insane how do you expect me win difference in spells power is not even fair at all. Plus i have a reshuffle just keep my cards in play deck not that big how do you expect fair game play i lose 30 points to this. Get real get tired you people work at wizard not make it fair need put a lvl cap on players not rank its lvl. This will make people better and will start matching up players at there skill same game play it will even the field. So i want my points back or i quit its that simple you have 3 days give me my points back i go find another game this like 5 time match me up like this so fix it or i quit this lame game unfair game play.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2011
After playing a few PvP, here's my feelings on the subject. I expected Ranked matches to mean just that.. ranked. I did not expect to face a captain as a private. I believe level should have very little if nothing to do with ranked matches. Minimal level differences will occur over time since higher levels will eventually achieve higher rank. Keep the ranked matches within one rank of each other. That way everyone has a chance to fight someone a level below, the same, or a level above their rank. Of course, I'm thinking mostly about 1vs1 duels, however I'm sure the multi-player matches could incorporate a similar method. Just my 2 cents.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
skydogg98 wrote:
well whenever i play i fell unlucky because i always seem to face a grandmaster and a lvl one but i am a seventeen so the grandmaster knocks my team out one hit

Yes, those teams are called legnoob teams. A low level joins a Legendary or another high level wizard and does nothing but sit around and wait for the high level to do the job. It's a really wimpy way to become a Warlord.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
TheTrueRonan31173 wrote:
I agree that people who spam efreet/firedragon/angel/gaint/tower/elf/kraken/zilla/triton/lord/levy/quake/medusa/minotaur/orthrus/forest lord/centaur/rebirth/wraith/dragon/nova/ra are annoying, but how the hay do we deal with it? KI will take massive time to read this and program it. Truth be told? Either 1: leave it alone (done on most) or 2: Fight fire with fire. Use the treasure cards. Hatch that annoying low level firezilla. Show them how it feels. Do it and they might realize what's happened. BTW, All my stuff is evenly matched, minus the above spam list and huge resistance from sea dragon.
-Ronan
You do realize thats basically all high level spells, right? and a few low level ones.

Survivor
May 16, 2010
I would like help understanding Ranked 1v1 matches. I know there is a quick join but that puts me in my own battle. But i would like to click on other people and join theirs. But when i look for the join button i cant find it can someone help me?

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
OK, is this a glitch in the system? I was doing a 2v2 with my level 8 Life friend last week. She was a captain, and I was a veteran or so. we got matched with some wizards that were anywhere between 6 and 9. They were private. I knocked them out with a single Tempest. So, any ideas on what happened?

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
Hafian above wrote this: People UNDER level 50 should not face anyone OVER level 50. Period. End of story. That way, people below level 50 do not have to worry about being 1 shot with a critical + gar Kraken... etc. Gargantuan also kills lower levels.

I so agree with this point. Level 50 and above gets critical hits and gargantuan at 56 (I think). I have read post after post of members saying that critical ruined PVP. I don't completely agree that critical ruined it for high levels, but when (and it happens so often) a high level 50 plus mage is pitted against a lower level than 50, all other things being equal, critical and gargantuan wins it.

My suggestion to KI is to layer the matching by levels with a smaller emphasis on rank. I know from being a level 30 commander that higher ranks get any level quickly. For example, when my level 30 commander just made his rank, he was pitted against a bolt loving storm level 53. This match on 1v1 was made by quick join within 30 seconds. So I know the levels are ignored once you make commander.

If you layer the matching by level spreads, you could remove most chances for higher than 50 vs lower than 50. I understand level 48 spells are powerful so you could spread it thinly in that direction to try to keep everyone from leveling to 49 and stopping.

The critical gargantuan advantage is a huge problem with matching and gets more "unfair" remarks than anything else with bolts coming in second.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2010
with my life level 5 (knight) i dueled a level 8 veteran (647) i won and gained like 4 rank then i fought 1 insane bolter 1 level 10 myth one mounstrous fire elfer (level 8) and all of that wasn't fair i lost to the myth the fire and the bolter who were all higher levels of almost the same rank as me in total i lost about 65 rank to the totoally unfair matching system when is the best time to pvp, but against fair players?

Survivor
Dec 28, 2011
My friend and I, both around level 20, wanted to try some 2v2 so we could team together. We ended up playing against a level 52 and a level 12?

Given the conversation between the two, it would seem they paired intentionally in this manner to find hapless level 20's to kill.

As you can imagine, it wasn't much of a competition. Four turns after we started, even with shields, it was over.

I have no issues with 1v1 matching. As you progress in skill, you should fight stronger opponents.

However, the 2v2 (and probably 3v3 and 4v4) matching system needs to be addressed.

There should be a fixed rule in the system which states no more than a 20 level difference between competitors. That is very generous, actually.

Instead of continuing to recite the methodology to us, perhaps KI could take some time to listen to the host of complaints about it. Or even conduct a simple poll?

Most of us understand the current method of matching, that doesn't change how critically short sighted it is.

It NEEDS to change.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
The matching system for mid-levels (levels 20-50) is extremely unfair and skewed in my opinion. Tell me why in my 2v2 with 2 level 42s, I'm facing a level 70 and a level 1?

Survivor
Aug 26, 2009
me and my cousin are level 8, so we decided to do a 2v2 ranked pvp match together and when we started our pvp, we lost, so i checked the other players levels, and one of them was a level 22 storm and a level 17 ice, which was completely unfair because me and my cousin had no chance on fighting them. i dont think its fair that we lost that pvp because the other players were such high levels. so i think that ranked pvp matches should only match players with other players around their levels so that its fair. :?

Survivor
Aug 23, 2011
kissingcats999 wrote:
The matching system for mid-levels (levels 20-50) is extremely unfair and skewed in my opinion. Tell me why in my 2v2 with 2 level 42s, I'm facing a level 70 and a level 1?

These are called puppet teams and are the reason I don't 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4. There have been many proposed solutions to this, but I think I have come up with a very good one - it doesn't ban the use of them, just makes them be matched up against a more fairly balanced (ie, tougher) team.

It's a formula that takes the difference in Level/Rank of each player on the team against each other player and adds it as a 50% penalty to the overall team score when giving the team a value to use to match against another team. (An example would be how a level 1 & 70 Private team might be paired up against two Level 36 Privates, but with my formula would more likely get paried against two level 44 Privates.)

I'd love to get some traction on this. If you are interested please read my post:
2v2 (and other multi Rank) Pairing Exploit
and feel free to comment to let KI know if you think it's a good idea for them to employ it!

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
Kings Isle.

Hear our cries for help in the arena.

If you cant come up with a computerized system to aid us. then please fix the winning ticket/point ratio -

The winning team gets the 14 tickets and 10 points in rank.
The losing team gets their 4 tickets and 0 points in rank.

If you flee the battle then you lose 10 points.

Just a suggestion.